Start by marking “How To Curse In Hieroglyphics (The Wiggins Weird, #1)” as Want to Read:
How To Curse In Hieroglyphics (The Wiggins Weird, #1)

How To Curse In Hieroglyphics (The Wiggins Weird #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  37 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Meet Cheryl and Tweed, two 12-year-old girls who are identical twins (just not with each other!), cousins, and best pals. After a mysterious "incident" involving a plane trip when they were very young left both girls orphaned and twin-less, they are raised by their grandfather, the owner/operator of the tumbledown Starlight Paradise Drive-In movie theatre in the middle-of- ...more
Published October 15th 2013 by Penguin Group Canada

To ask other readers questions about How To Curse In Hieroglyphics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Curse In Hieroglyphics

Sam
Jul 17, 2013 Sam rated it it was amazing
Huge thank you to Penguin Canada / Puffin for sending me an ARC of this book.

How to Curse in Hieroglyphics may be perfect in every way.

Okay, it might not be perfect to every reader, but it was, in a sense, perfect for me. How to Curse in Hieroglyphics stars two twelve-going-on-thirteen year old cousins, who may have one of the most beautiful friendships I've ever seen. Reading about Cheryl and Tweed's adventures with B-Movies and ACTION! often reminded me a lot of how my childhood best friend an
Julie Czerneda
Apr 04, 2012 Julie Czerneda rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I can't wait for more! This is what you want kids to read -- and they'll gobble it up, believe me!
The premise? Two young girls are growing up on the lot of a drive-in movie, one that shows B-movies. They love them. Being adventurous and inventive, they've rebuilt a car in which to enjoy their favourites. Being amazingly creative? When they go out to play -- I mean, hunt monsters and save the world -- the prose switches to storyboard. Brilliant artwork and great fun ensues wit
Jenn
Jul 09, 2013 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: penguin-canada
What fun! A little slow in the set up but once you get to know Cee and Tee, things careen off at a crazy pace. Love the mix of text and graphic, and the use of movie scripts ... can't wait for book two!
Paul Riches
Dec 02, 2013 Paul Riches rated it it was amazing
How To Curse In Hieroglyphics and More Monster Mashing Makebelieve!

Cheryl and Tweed have very busy monster hunting lives. Zombies, vampires, and mummies are the stock in trade for these young heroines.

And they are the stars of the new young readers book series called The Wiggins Weird, written by Lesley Livingston and Jonathan Llyr, the esteemed Geek duo from Canada land.

This first part in the series is aptly called How To Curse In Hieroglyphics (and when you get to the section where this title
pizza aggressive
Sep 16, 2013 pizza aggressive rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young readers that like adventure with a microscopic portion of horror
Shelves: 1st-reads, oui
Many thanks to Penguin Canada and/or Puffin for sending me a review copy of this wonderful book and Goodreads for giving members the opportunity to obtain review copies!

Yes, this book is for youth readers and the like. No, this doesn't make it a cardinal sin for some dude in university to happen upon this novel to cleanse my soul of any traces of City of Bones. Why? I'll try to explain it in the best fashion I can muster.

The two stars of this novel are Cheryl and Tweed, two cousins whose parents
Krissy
Sep 15, 2013 Krissy rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Penguin Canada / Puffin for sending me an ARC of this book! Thanks to Goodreads for hosting the opportunity that led me to getting this book.

This is definitely a fun read, and I highly recommend it for people interested in middle grade fiction, B horror movies, and strong female characters.

Cheryl (Cee) and Tweed (Tee) are cousins who live with their grandfather. They love B horror movies and now everything there is to know about the genre. I loved how well the developed the cousins wer
Jennifer Rayment
Nov 10, 2013 Jennifer Rayment rated it it was amazing
will review later today - truly delightful middle grade read

The Good Stuff

Perfect middle grade read for those girls who would rather read adventure stories than love stories
Cheryl, Tweed and all of the characters are positively adorable and you cannot help but love them
Will appeal to both middle graders and adults (especially us geeky ones)
The "Action" scenes are hilarious!
Fast paced story that will keep even the most reluctant reader entertained
The Egyptian Princess reminded me of somethi
Summer
Sep 17, 2013 Summer rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
An Egyptian mummy princess is on the loose from a traveling carnival and it's up to twelve year old cousins Cheryl and Tweed to save the day, fortunately they love schlocky horror flicks, so they're experts on this stuff. Actually, the pair see themselves as experts on most everything, which makes for great humor, and confidence you wish every girl possessed in real life.

Goth girl Tweed (minus, to her chagrin, the requisite eyeliner) and aspiring stunt gal Cheryl have lost their families in a pl
Melissa Matthews
Oct 02, 2013 Melissa Matthews rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through the First Reads program. I entered on behalf of my daughter, but thought I should read the book as well!

I enjoyed the book and found the second half to be much more interesting and fast paced than the first half. I really liked the combination of story and graphics in the one book, just those few pages might encourage those reluctant readers to keep pressing on. I particularly loved the scene capturing the Bottoms children, it gave me a few hints for rounding up my o
Amy M
[I won an ARC via Goodreads First Reads giveaways. Thanks!]

I immediately knew from the cover alone that I'd want to read this book, so of course I entered to win a copy. Upon picking it up was when I realized that it's actually from one of my favourite Canadian authors (Livingston) so that was a pleasant surprise.

This is a fun and adventurous middle-grade offering, and although it seems to suggest being part of a larger series it does stand-alone.

I liked the comic/script cut-ins, but thought t
JulieLaLa
Sep 11, 2013 JulieLaLa rated it liked it
3.5 STARS!
I won this advanced copy through Goodreads (that doesn't influence my rating).

If I was a 9-12 year old, I would think this was a pretty great adventure story! The main characters, Tweed, Cheryl, Pilot and Artie, are all great fun. The dialogue is inventive, the language and sentence structure are excellent and the plot is pretty good. I realize this story is the set-up for further books and the first half was a little long; the Mummy action could have started earlier, but it was still
Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~
A really great read, super amazing climax, and an exhilarating adventure about two kids Cheryl and Tweed, twelve year old cousins who live with there grandfather Pops. Pops owns a drive-in movie theatre. When a moving carnival steals the spotlight Cheryl and Tweed with their friends (tag alongside) Pilot & Arthur decide to investigate, and find some WIERD and SPOOKY things, read How to Curse in Hieroglyphics to find out what happens.
I give How to Curse in Hieroglyphics 4 & 1/2 bats

Review
Rosalie
May 14, 2014 Rosalie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Brenda
I enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading the next in the series. It does start out a bit confusing and the characters/writing can be annoying but it gets better. The story is very amusing and nicely paced. I want to go dig up some old monster movies to watch now. I think any kid with an active imagination and a love of the strange will enjoy this book. I did now and I would have at that age too.
Julianna
Oct 19, 2014 Julianna rated it it was amazing
i really likedc it and i can not wait for the 2nd book to come out
WeeWaa13
WeeWaa13 rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Colin Viebrock
Colin Viebrock rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2013
Rachel Seigel
Rachel Seigel rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2013
Tasnim
Tasnim rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
kd
kd rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Doug
Doug rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2012
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Steven Burley
Steven Burley rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2013
Gemma
Gemma rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Rhea
Rhea rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Colette Dufault
Colette Dufault rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2014
  • Shadow of Death (The Chosen Chronicles #2)
  • Reborn (Power of the Blood, #3)
  • The Turning Season (Shifting Circle, #3)
  • Kitty Saves the World (Kitty Norville, #14)
  • In the Company of Thieves
  • Bound by Blood (Bound, #2)
  • Away Running
  • Fired by Her Fling
  • Her Brain Is Out To Screw You! - The Men's Guide To Sex or Not Sex
  • Smoke River
  • More Than a Rancher

The Wiggins Weird (2 books)
  • The Haunting of Heck House (The Wiggins Weird #2)