Start by marking “All the fun of the fair” as Want to Read:
All the fun of the fair

All the fun of the fair

Meet the residents of number 73 Westminster Road. Alfie Gorman, the suicidal Park Keeper, transvestite landlord Gerald Grimman and former showgirl Edith Hird.

Alfie is at the centre of the story.His childhood was shattered by the death of his older brother and he has spent his entire adult life roaming the seaside resorts of Britain, trying to recapture the happiness he fel
Published March 7th 2012 by Jamie Sinclair

To ask other readers questions about All the fun of the fair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the fun of the fair

Kath
Mar 21, 2012 Kath rated it really liked it
This book is not my usual genre but I was looking for something a little different, bimbled across this and thought I'd give it a crack.
As the blurb says, this book revolves around Alfie, a man with a dark past, and how a chance meeting sends his life down a different route.
But it is so much more than just his story. It is also the stories of several other people connected to Alfie - be it by location, job or just friends/acquaintances. Minor characters in Alfie's story become major characters w
Kath Middleton
Apr 06, 2012 Kath Middleton rated it it was amazing
This is my first Jamie Sinclair book and I was mightily impressed. It begins by introducing us to a selection of dysfunctional characters, living lives on the edge of society - social misfits. Gradually as their stories unfold to us, their lives touch each other tangentially, coalesce in some cases, and I found myself fascinated. It is a difficult book to stop reading!

I enjoyed the style, the dipping in and out of lives, the eventual realisation that many were interlinked. I also loved Jamie Sin
Aunty Janet
Jun 07, 2012 Aunty Janet rated it liked it
This story, about the occupants of a house converted into flats, is a fun read. I liked Alfie, who I thought was a brave character with 'issues'; I would have liked to know more about Gerald/Geraldine!
When I started reading, I was impressed with the writer's wide vocabulary (very glad of the kindle dictionary!), but then wondered if some of the obscure words were the result of over-enthusiastic use of a thesaurus. Some of the words were very obscure indeed! Nevertheless, by the end I gave the au
Sep 21, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This was an unexpected little gem of a tale - well written and with well drawn characters. My one little niggle is that at times it felt that the author had swallowed a thesarus and was determined to share as many unusual words as possible. When you read that a character was feeling "particularly atrabilious" it is a little jarring (apparently he was melancholy or ill temperered). I was very thankful for the Kindle's dictionary but it was still an unnecessary and too frequent irritation.
Karen
Jul 26, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I downloaded this as something different to try, and the characters really intrigued me. They were all extremely believable and interesting, and it was the sort of book that could easily continue into a saga. I'd give it four stars if the author could stop using a thesaurus! So many obscure words....interesting at first (glad of the inbuilt kindle dictionary!) but just plain annoying after a while. Other than that, I really enjoyed it and would definitely read more by this author.
Alison Williams
Oct 12, 2013 Alison Williams rated it liked it
Shelves: alison
A lovely book. Read it mainly because it is set in the town I grew up in & my primary school was on Westminster Rd. The characters are very typical of the town and it was quite refreshing to read a book and know exactly what the place and buildings were like rather than imagining. Not the most exciting storyline but nevertheless a great little read.
Caren
Caren rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2016
Pat (Scorpio)
Pat (Scorpio) rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Crazyforbooks
Crazyforbooks rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Diane O'connell
Diane O'connell rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Lenore
Lenore rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Philip (sarah) Willis
Philip (sarah) Willis rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Jamie Sinclair
Jul 09, 2016 Jamie Sinclair rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
May 08, 2012
Ruth Marston
Ruth Marston rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2014
Amira ase
Amira ase marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2012
Karen (Kew)
Karen (Kew) marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012
Kenneth Kwame Welsh
Kenneth Kwame Welsh marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2012
Jan
Jan added it
Apr 23, 2012
Pauline Byrne
Pauline Byrne marked it as to-read
May 02, 2012
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 04, 2012
Beth Roberts
Beth Roberts marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Jude
Jude marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
Nov 06, 2015
Loisa
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Sep 11, 2015
Donna Parkes
Donna Parkes marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Louise purfield-coak
Louise purfield-coak marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
loisa
loisa added it
Oct 13, 2016
Originally I'm a Yorkshire boy (as of 1976 when I was born) but have lived in Lancashire since I was four. Specifically my parents moved to Morecambe, the seaside and to this day I still love looking at the sea. It's something you'll either 'get' or you won't. But when the wife and I bought our first house together, condition number one was it had to be near the sea. We were lucky enough to pick ...more
More about Jamie Sinclair...