Start by marking “Immortal Coil (Dragon Spirit, #1)” as Want to Read:
Immortal Coil (Dragon Spirit, #1)

Immortal Coil (Dragon Spirit #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  464 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Two souls. One Body. Sharing is not an option...

Terrible news has turned Anaea Salis's life upside down. There's nothing she can do to make it right and the stranger who stops to talk to her can't help. But when that stranger, Hunter, an ancient dragon spirit, is viciously attacked and forced to transfer his spirit into her body, Anaea's life takes a new terrifying twist.
Published March 6th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Immortal Coil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immortal Coil

True by Laurann DohnerMoon by Laurann DohnerDark Cravings by Madeline PryceVexing Voss by Gail KogerObsidian by Laurann Dohner
Sexy Male Book Covers #1
45th out of 360 books — 134 voters
The Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonTaking a Shot by Jaci BurtonChanging the Game by Jaci BurtonBearing All by Tiffinie HelmerLover Mine by J.R. Ward
Cover-Only Male Chests-All Genres
33rd out of 239 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Gunnar
Paranormal romance is hot, but some of us just aren’t turned on by vampires and werewolves. I picked this one up for something different and wasn’t disappointed.

[SPOILER ALERT] The book opens with Anaea Solis, dying of cancer, standing on the Queen Street Bridge in Pittsburgh, about to throw herself into the half-frozen Allegheny River. It’s either that or die slowly as the cancer eats her alive. But before she can convince herself to let go, a good and good-looking Samaritan approaches her from
Melindeeloo
A spell saved dragons from total annihilation, but now they exist as spirit entities inhabiting the bodies of humans who have died. It is taboo to reveal their existence or to share a body, but when an enforcer is returning a spirit of a renegade for a rebirth ceremony, circumstances force him to share the body of a terminal cancer patient who planned to suicide.

By the end of the sample for Immortal Coil I was hooked and not knowing whether it was a romance or not (but with the cover suspecting
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Sometimes when I get a free book from Amazon its a disappointment, Not this time!
This story had an unusual premise and was well written. The dialogue flowed well and didn't have any rough spots.
I love this cover; its a thing of beauty.
I really liked the fact that the author told us the main female character had had a mastectomy and didn't feel the need to magically fix that up in the story. Her partner thought she was beautiful regard
Rosa
Wow! This book was amazing balls! First off the whole concept was unbelievably original. I can honestly say I've never read anything like this at all. Anaea was such a ridiculous heroine, seriously I applaud her and all her greatness. Diagnosed with breast cancer, lost her husband, her life and her friends she thinks there is nothing to live for. She decides screw cancer I'm going to die on my terms. She's standing at the rail looking down into the dark cold waters and this is how she decides to ...more
Ellen
June 9 2012
This was offered as free at amazon and I have to say that I am glad I got this book. I would of payed to read it. The plotline is nonstop and solid, a page turn all the way to the end. I could not put it down.
Anaea is someone you can relate too, and Hunter is strong and ferocious, as a dragon should be. I love the chemistry between the two of them, and how their relationship developed, it was done natural and realisic.

The one scene I liked is the shower scene, try taking a shower wit
Dawn
This book was amazing. There are 2 reasons I did not give it 5 stars and only provided 1. First is that the ending seemed unfinished. There were items toward the end with Grey and the Handmaiden that were never resolved. I am hoping that this will be settled in the next book because just dropping this part of the story would be a waste. Also I try to reserve a top score on a book for reads like JRR Tolkien LOTR series. Baring the classics, this is one of the best fantasy books I have read in a l ...more
Mary
Well written, interesting characters, not-cliched fantasy story line. The first chapter sucked me in, and I read it straight thru. Highly recommended, can't wait for the next book! (Now I've got another author I'm thinking "WRITE FASTER" at. I can lend it, but I recommend everyone give her money. I don't think I've liked a first book this much since Kim Harrison's _Dead Witch Walking_. Yes, it's that well written. )
Zarah
Anaea's life is in the gutter and she sees no hope of it looking up, until an unfortunate encounter with a good Samaritan named Hunter turns everything on its head. Both characters, Anaea and Hunter, are easy to engage with. I got a little tired of Anaea's self deprivation, but understood it too. Her strength of will, even in her beaten down state, was something I appreciated. Though I did think that her willingness to put herself in danger in order to establish her independence bordered on the ...more
Keidy
One mythological animal that I adore is the ever mighty dragon. So it's plain to see I was really excited about this book. And now that I finished it, I can say it's a good solid read but it wasn't everything I was hoping it to be. The heroine is likable and I really enjoyed how they incorporated the nature of her cancer. It explained a lot of her motives without dulling the character and the hero is also pretty likable as well as the supporting characters.

Although the story also had it's share
Patricia
Future Self,

who would have thought that a freebie would be so good? For some reasons I expected this really stereotypical, filled-with-clichés, guilty pleasure Paranormal Romance. And to some extends I'll admit that I got it, but it wasn't just sex with some story, but story with some sex. (And those scenes were rather short, if I recall correctly.) That was a very pleasant surprise and I'm glad that I gave Immortal Coil a try.

It starts with a scene written in the hero's, Hunter's, point of vie
Jamie
This book is a bit different than everything else that is out there ... which I thoroughly enjoyed. Dragons, soul sharing, sorcery, with an old world touch. I thought that Anaea was a great heroine. She has every reason to give up on life, but ends up fighting through it all. In turn, Hunter was an awesome hero, his faith in Anaea was great to read about.

If the entire book was written like the last quarter of the book ... it would have been a much better book. The ending wasn't all that pleasur
Kirsten Lenius
Here there be dragons. Rather than rehashing the plot points of which those who have posted before me have done a fine job, I will just say a few things.

First, I thought the idea of where the dragons have been lo these many years to be a good and 'buyable' one. Second, I appreciate a good strong female protaganist and I got that. Third, the characters were interesting and deep enough for me to really want to know what happens next to them. Oh, and fourth, there was precious little I could find
Auburn1975
Well, who knew that a free Amazon book could out-do far more expensive e-books currently being released! I did enjoy this book from beginning to end. It's well written, strong character development, loved the whole dragon/mage/human thing going on; wonderful NEW urban fantasy author and a story that I look forward to reading/buying more of in the future. Very well done. I highly recommend reading at any price.
Daisy

2.5 STARS

I fell in love with dragons after reading about Dragos and Pia in Dragon Bound , so I decided to pick up this book.

I really wanted to love this one but just couldn’t. It wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t for me. For me it was too complicated and didn’t focus enough on the romance. It also left many things unexplained.

I get that their minds shared one body for a while and that there is an attraction; however, I couldn’t connect or feel why Hunter began to love Anaea. I know he really did lov
Stevie
Picked this on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. (And yeah, the cover was a big part of that whim). I thing the story telling was imaginative and strong. Character build was solid and the overall concept nicely unique. The flow was fast paced but not so fast it felt rushed, and the momentum arched perfectly into the climax. The closing was slightly sappy, but only slightly. Very enjoyable read. I did find Anaea's constant push back to Hunter's requests annoying as hell. Especially given she k ...more
Gaby
Posted at Oh My Books!

It's not a secret that I love dragons, that's why Immortal Coil grabbed my attention. But I was also interested because it sounded different. Dragons souls sharing human bodies?

It didn't disappointed me. I was looking to read something original and Immortal Coil was good. Anaea is at the lowest point of her life and her only wish is that this stranger stop talking to her. But her life turns upside down when he, Hunter, is 'killed' and they are forced to share her body!

Hunte
CeladonRoses
Pamela
Christy
What a creative story! Really loved the characters Hunter and Anaea and their blossoming relationship!!

A young woman losing her diligent battle with cancer decides to take her life on a bridge one night, only to be stopped by a mysterious and kind stranger. In the midst of him saving her, he is attacked and killed, but only after he kisses her...transferring his dragon spirit into Anaea's body until he can find a new and uninhabited body. Sharing her broken body with a stranger is no cup of tea,
Christy
When I stumbled on this book, it was a freebie and boy, am I glad I got it! This is a really good book. The characters are substantial and they pull you into the story and make you care. I try not to spew out summaries in my reviews; you can see that above or from other reviewers. What you want to know is this - is this book worth purchasing now that it's not free? Yes!! I can see this in the book store as a paperback, and it would appeal to me enough from the premise and the cover to impress m ...more
Bukcrz
This is a perfect example of a great book ruined by one character. In this case (for me) is the heroine: whinny, 'poor-is-me' complex, indecisive, and a contrived character. A lot of the inner monologues in the story are repeated information from chapter one to the last chapter that if cut off would eliminate 50% of the book's pages.
Other than that the created world is worth visiting, the rest of the characters are memorable, the new take on dragons and its mythology is unique and I would not mi
Maqluba
great Plot/storyline + Writer's poor execution = yeah the execution was that bad

I liked the idea, I went along with the idea of a hero and heroine sharing a body, I kept an open mind about the world-building, but it all crashed and burned horribly in the last quarter of the book.

So first off I guess I should say I don't read much paranorms with dragons so I didn't know the jargon, so strike one for the author because they assumed the reader knew what a drake, mage, syth were (along with other fa
Anna
Suicide trigger warning, as well as transphobia and about the level of misogyny you'd expect from this genre, which is too much.

I was enjoying this book (in spite of myself because the same exact transmisogynistic line was put in the mouth of a new character every 30 pages) because it was fun and the male lead was in awe of the female lead, which is what I'm here for, but then something happened in the last 20 pages that made the rest of the book worse in retrospect.
Jana LaPelle
Different but definitely worth the read...

I think what I liked best about this book was the message that we are not perfect, none of us, and our most attractive quality is who we are and who we struggle to become. It's our souls that really shine thru.

This story is different and intriguing. Once started I could not put it down, I especially liked how the story was told and what is yet to come. I have already downloaded the second book.
Kristal
I adored this book! I got it for free on my Kindle (I think...not quite sure how as I see it is not free now) and the cover really made me NOT want to read it because I thought it looked kind of cheesy. Please do NOT judge this book by the cover! This book is amazing! The second I finished it I rushed onto Amazon to see if I could get the second book and was so disappointed to discover it does not exist yet.

In reading others' comments on this book, I have to say I wholeheartedly agree! One said
Amber

This was a really different story for me. I've never read anything to do with dragons or someone sharing someone else's body/soul.
The beginning was great, it sucked me right in. Then for a little while I'll admit I lost a little interest. Not because of the story but because of the woman, Anaea, I just got a little annoyed with her when Hunter needed her to do something or act a certain way and she wouldn't. Then around 50% it got me hooked again. The fighting was great and where the story goe
Dr. Bronwyn Ph.D of Smutology
WOW!! And I truly mean WOW!!

Brilliantly written story of dragons, magic, survival and ultimately love.

The author created a wonderfully detailed world that drew me in and made me a part of it. A unique take on a dragon tale where past sorcerers created a scourge that stripped dragon's of their form forcing them to take on human hosts. An intricate weaving of laws and political strategy accompanies an already very interesting story.

Both Anaea and Hunter are strong warriors who doubt their own wort
Ronnie Anderson
Liked the concept, enjoyed the characters, hated the fact that even though it's technically not a cliffhanger, it really kind of is. So much was left hanging and unexplained.
Monika Barys
Book 1 of Dragon Spirit series, followed by Shattered Spirits. The book started off good and I had great hopes for it, but then it fell flat. The story is about Anaea who is dying of cancer, alone and lonely. She decides that it is best to end it all on her terms; when a stranger tries to save her life and in the process his spirit is transfered into her body. Now she is dealing with a dragon spirit and trying to survive the assassins sent in to kill him. I liked the idea that two characters fel ...more
Tina
Good take on dragons and mating. Not focused on romance which is sweet more on world building and story. Will definitely read more in series!
  • Dragon Blues
  • The Princess' Dragon Lord
  • Sword of the Raven
  • Paul's Pursuit (Dragon Lords of Valdier, #6)
  • Dragon Down Under (Dragon Down Under, #1)
  • Fury of Fire (Dragonfury, #1)
  • Blood Bonds (City of Dragons, #1)
  • Sin and Sacrifice (Daughters of Eve, #1)
  • Dark Craving (Dark Kings, #0.1)
  • Never Deal with Dragons (Never Deal with Dragons, #1)
  • Darkfire Kiss (Dragonfire, #6)
  • Chosen by Sin (Para-Ops, #3)
  • Legacy of the Witch (The Portal, #0.5)
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)
  • The Dark God's Bride (The Dark God's Bride, #1)
  • Artistic Vision (Gray Court, #3)
  • Dragon's Kiss (Shadow of the Dragon, #1)
  • Renegade Passion (Zodius, #2.5)
C.I. Black has always lived in a world of imagination. When she’s not daydreaming, she puts her flights of fancy down on paper writing urban fantasy and paranormal romance books.
More about C.I. Black...

Dragon Spirit (2 books)
  • Shattered Spirits (Dragon Spirit, #2)
Shattered Spirits (Dragon Spirit, #2) Written in Stone (The Medusa Files, #1) Escaped From Stone (The Medusa Files,#3) Heart of Stone (The Medusa Files, #2)