Start by marking “Last Stop” as Want to Read:
Last Stop

Last Stop (Last Stop #1)

When love drifts into his life, danger isn't far behind.

Sam Mayne's life is as dull as the dishwater in his small-town Montana diner, and that's just how he wants it. Quiet, uneventful, safe from his shadowy past. The breezy young drifter who answers his help-wanted ad makes him uneasy in ways he dare not examine too closely. Except he can't help but be pulled in by Jay Co
ebook, 1st Edition, 211 pages
Published June 12th 2012 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Last Stop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Stop

Emma Sea
Very enjoyable indeed.

Although it's squarely m/m and not gay erotica, I like the slight rawness of the sexual relationship between Sam and Jay. The sex is hard, in a good way, not a dark-fic way. It's not pretty sex.

For the next few hours all Jay was able to think of was the smarting of his ass, the lingering smell of sex in the car, and Sam’s jizz trickling out of him, soaking into his jeans (loc. 1612).

Sometimes I think it crossed the line into silly:

He freed Sam’s shaft from its denim prison
Lou Harper
Mar 11, 2012 Lou Harper added it  ·  (Review from the author)
It all started with a sentence. I penned it to demonstrate the difference between past continuous tense—aka past progressive—and passive voice. It's amazing how many people mix up the two. (I have an unhealthy attraction to continuous tense in general, but I'm taking pills for it, and I've been much better.)

The sentence was about two guys in a diner, and coffee. That should've been the end of it, but the guys kept rambling around in my brain, poking at things. I got the idea to use them in a sho
MishyJo
Nov 03, 2013 MishyJo rated it really liked it
Recommended to MishyJo by: Catherine
Another book I have been sitting on forever and now realize I should have read long ago. What a great bit of sexy, kinky fun. Just enough plot to keep it exciting. There was a well crafted D/s sort of thing going on here. No "sir" and no collar but a nice little bit of domination and submission just the same. And the gangster theme always works for me.

Great pick Catherine!
Cory
Aug 23, 2014 Cory rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cory by: Catherine
Shelves: snowman
This was a great book! I loved Sam and Jay!

I enjoyed how Sam was all possessive and protective of Jay while struggling with himself because he didn't feel that he deserved to be happy. I also loved how Jay wouldn't listen to Sam when it really mattered and he wouldn't let Sam push him aside like everyone else in his life.

This was a great weekend read and a special thanks to Amy and Mishyjo for reading it with me....although I was a little behind :)

Cat, great pick!
Amy
Aug 23, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Amy by: Catherine
4.5 stars from me! I really enjoyed this one! Sam is a definite alpha male, all growly and possessive. And Jay is adorable and twinky with a little bit of sass! I loved them together! Great pick, Cat!!
Susan
Aug 08, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
BR with Elsbeth

DNF at 9%

I have never DNF-ed a book this fast before! But I just can’t do it anymore.

description

Let me tell you what happens.

The book starts with Jay getting a ride from a truck driver, he gets of the truck, walks into Sam’s diner, meets Sam, gets a job there, works his ass of on the first day, he goes home with Sam because he doesn’t have a place to stay, he walks into Sam’s bedroom at night because Jay is used to having a sugar daddy, and they have sex.

And guess what, this all happens befo
Vio
I liked the suspense/action and road trip part of the story, I wasn't a fan of the kink in the MC's relationship, it was off putting and hard to imagine Jay acting his age. I thought he was immature at times and Sam acted older than he was. So every-time they "played" I wasn't feeling the emotion or connection. I did want to love them more than I did and the pet names, no! An interesting mix I'm sure it will appeal to lots of readers the ending was sweet.
Chris
Mar 11, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Very good kinky m/m romantic suspense about a guy who's hitchhiking to Seattle, paying his way with sex or a friendly ear. When his latest ride dumps him at a truck stop in Montana, he sees a help wanted sign and decides to stick around for a bit after he meets the sexy, mysterious, older owner of the cafe. And then things start to get more and more complicated...
Anke
Mar 11, 2012 Anke rated it it was amazing
This was an entertaining read, keeping me riveted throughout til the end. I liked both MCs and their interaction very much. Thankfully no evil woman present, no big misunderstanding and the bad guys weren't too bad. Give me more stories like this one any time:)
Kaje Harper
Sep 18, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, bdsm
This was a fast, smooth read with main characters I enjoyed watching together. Sam has been hiding from his past in a dull Montana town for a couple of years, quietly working and avoiding relationships. He owns a diner, and his life is safe but boring.

Jay is young, but he's had a string of short and badly-ended relationships, that ended with him moving on. He walks away from his latest truck-driver-ride and on a whim, applies for a job at the diner instead of finding another ride out of town. S
Momof3-in an Ash and Cael sandwich
I had to stop, which really pains me, because I love Lou Harper! I really do, but there was just pretty much nothing about this that was working for me and when

(view spoiler)
Jenre
Jun 23, 2012 Jenre rated it really liked it
Jay is a young guy who has been travelling from place to place, moving on when his latest guy turns out to be a bastard. He's at a truck stop in the middle of nowhere Montana when he sees a sign at a diner for 'help wanted'. Sam is the owner of the diner and it isn't long before Jay has a job, a place to stay and a new man in his life. Sam, however, is keeping secrets and when Sam's past comes back to haunt him, things take a very dangerous turn.

This turned out to be a story of two halves. The f
Tam
Jun 15, 2012 Tam rated it really liked it
I'll say 4.25 stars.

The book starts out kind of slow (not in a bad way) with young Jay on the run in a sense who gets stranded in hick-town nowhere and takes a job at a local diner. It’s not long, like a few hours, when him and diner owner Sam start up a relationship of sorts. Jay knows it’s temporary, all the older men he’s been with get rid of him sooner or later, and Sam lets some hints out about some bad stuff in his past so it’s only for a short time, only is it? Sam let’s his kink out of
Catherine
A new friend recommended that I expand my MM horizons to include Lou Harper's books and I was NOT disappointed by my first exposure to this author. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and can't wait to read more by her!

I loved both characters; the contrast between Sam's bad-boy-makes-good and Jay's troubled-and-slutty-youth-with-a-vulnerable-core really worked for me. I completely bought into the development of their relationship and dug the May-December element to the story. I am such a sl
Ami
On one hand, this story has an element that I love. It has road trips (yay!), which is definitely my favorite part in the whole book. Oh, and the prologue is definitely intriguing. There is action too, near the end of the book, which results in a lovely "I love you" statement -- which you usually get after an 'intense/being-in-danger' scene.

On the other hand, I have issue with the writing. One of the reviewers here said it to be "staccato", which I think is a perfect way to describe it
Heller
May 21, 2013 Heller rated it really liked it
I didn't pay too much attention to the blurb going into this one so the storyline ended up surprising me the further I read in, and what I thought was going be an okay read ended up being a book I had trouble putting down.

Jay is hitchhiking rides from truckers and ends up in Montana at a diner and gets hired by the owner, Sam, an older gruff guy. The two men start sleeping together and I wasn't expecting the turn that happened after that. I loved it.

I loved the reveal, the road trip, the new l
Mandapanda
Apr 10, 2012 Mandapanda rated it liked it
Shelves: various-romance
3.5 stars. BDSM is not my favourite subgenre but I like this author's books so I thought I'd give it a try. Sam's on the run after giving evidence against a mob boss. Into his uncertain life wanders young and impressionable Jay, who's been used and discarded by one too many sugar daddies. This is BDSM lite. The book is chock-full of sex scenes which are well written. The plot was very thin and the story a bit too short for my personal taste. It reminded me a lot of Special Delivery so fans of th ...more
Kazza
Jun 12, 2012 Kazza rated it liked it
An interesting book. I sort of had a love hate affair with the writing and the characters.

Sam and Jay were interesting enough, but they weren't developed thoroughly for me to fully connect with them or feel them as a pair. The writing was staccato. Not bad in some ways but annoying in others -sometimes I wanted to jump to the next scene, sometimes I wanted a bit more information. There was no great twist in the plot, you knew where it was going but I went along willingly for the journey.

If you l
Pjm12
Jul 04, 2013 Pjm12 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. The romance was kinky greatness... But also loving. The thriller aspect ramped up nicely and there's something about a boy who constantly puts himself in danger to protect the one he loves... And when they both do it, well, that's double the goodness.

Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://whippedcream2.blogspot.com/201...

If you ever wondered if a good mobster plot could mix with hot M/M, then here you go!

Jay is a young man on the wander, he’s cute, he’s alone and he’d like a guy to share his life with, someone different to the line of disastrous romances of his past. Sam on the other hand isn’t looking for anything other than a quiet life, so when Jay wanders into his diner and catches his eye, things get hot. But can they handle the heat?

Last Stop is
Virginia
Really good read. Like the story and the sex scenes. Both the characters were easy to root for. I liked that Jay fought back and for what he wanted. I also appreciated that both characters accepted each other for what they were now and shared their histories.
Beck
I love books like this ... wonderfully vivid characters ... a meaty plot that doesn't have massive holes ... smexy kink ... it kept me on the edge of my seat & reading past my bed-time ... what more could you ask for?
Td
May 03, 2013 Td rated it really liked it
I don't know how I feel about the story as a whole but I'll be the first to admit my weakness for slutty, bratty twinks and Jay won me over big time.
Christy Duke
Sep 07, 2013 Christy Duke rated it it was amazing
Hiding from criminals, running for your life, and finding your soul mate in the most unbelievable place are the hallmarks of this first book in a new series by Lou Harper. This is an author whom I have only recently begun to appreciate. Her writing style is very old school, well, except for the sex, and it reminds me of Mickey Spillane in a way. I really enjoy it. Her characters are always strong and very real, as if they are people you know personally. Sam and Jay are exactly that. They are rea ...more
Pamela Su
Aug 04, 2013 Pamela Su rated it really liked it
Recommended to Pamela Su by: Cassandra
A fun, lighthearted story with a dash of BDSM and sprinklings of mobster intrigue. Last Stop is amusing from start to finish.

The relationship between Sam and Jay is a sheer joy to read as I watch them grow closer throughout the story's progression. They are perfect for each other. Jay has been through a lot of hookups and relationships but this doesn't bother Sam at all. I loved this aspect of Sam who is able to separate the past from the present. It was cute, however, to see Sam display some je
Melissa
Sep 26, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: loaned
Overall I enjoyed the book. But some things niggled at me.

Jay was 22, not 18, and not a child…although sometimes he talked like one!

In just a few lessons, Jay learned enough self defense to remain not only calm when faced with a killer mob guy, but he was also able to kick his ass!! Wow Jay, I am impressed!!

What are we doing here…are we running from bad guys…I keep forgetting…..

Sam doesn't get the reference to Matt Damon and the Bourne Identity…he says in his day the role model was Magnum PI….R
Becky Condit
Apr 16, 2012 Becky Condit rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars!

Wow. Not what I was expecting at all. The first thing I noticed about Lou Harper’s LAST STOP is that it was written in the style of Mickey Spillane. And that was before Sam and Jay started running. The second thing I noticed was who they were running from. Why they are running comes out in bits and pieces.
While this is a plot-driven novel I can’t say much about that without getting into spoilers. Trust me, this is a book you don’t want to know what’s coming next until you get there.
I
Sep 17, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Ann

A good, if predictable, bad guy on the run who falls in love with a damaged boy and after overcoming their pasts live happy ever after story.
Christi Snow
Sep 12, 2012 Christi Snow rated it it was amazing
My Review:
I liked this book. It had just the perfect levels of sizzling sex, edge of your seat suspense, and a really gorgeous romance.

Jay is a wanderer. He's gay and has learned to use that to his advantage to help him get by. On his own since since he was a teenager, he uses his sexuality to help him find a somewhat stable place to sleep. Unfortunately, with that comes the fact that whatever situation he is in, there's no stability there. He's come to expect it no matter what his lover of the
DarienMoya
Sam Mayne runs a diner in a small town, he’s the mysterious man who keeps to himself and doesn’t go flaunting his personal life to his customers. It’s work and a little bit a play on the side. He gets his play by leaving the town he lives in because he doesn’t want to flaunt his homosexuality and draw attention to himself. When his waitress skips town with a trucker, Sam is just looking for a little extra help in the kitchen. When Jay Colby knocks on his door, Sam knows the boy is trouble but he ...more
  • Screwing the System (Screwing the System, #1)
  • Be Brave (Angel and the Assassin, #2)
  • The Elegant Corpse
  • Bound: Forget Me Knot
  • Gathering Storm
  • Tough Love (Special Delivery, #3)
  • By His Rules
  • Room at the Top (Room at the Top, #1)
  • Masters & Boyd
  • Hard Fall (Deputy Joe, #1)
  • Another Way (Another Way #1)
  • The Boy Who Belonged (Boy, #2)
  • Bad Boyfriend (Bad in Baltimore, #2)
  • Power Play: Awakening (Power Play, #2)
  • Word on a Wing
  • Power Exchange (Power Exchange, #1)
Under a prickly, cynical surface Lou Harper is an incorrigible romantic. Her love affair with the written word started at a tender age. There was never a time when stories weren't romping around in her head. She is currently embroiled in a ruinous romance with adjectives. In her free time Lou stalks deviant words and feral narratives.

Lou's favorite animal is the hedgehog. She likes nature, books,
More about Lou Harper...

Last Stop (2 books)
  • Seduction (Last Stop #1.5)