The Mothers of Country Day

The Mothers of Country Day

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Standardized test fraud, secrets, and scandal at a posh suburban private school...

When Josie Messina’s math wizard 12-year-old son earns a scholarship to one of New Jersey’s toniest private schools, Josie feels blessed but intimidated. Will a hardworking, cash-strapped single mom fit in with the wealthy, fashionable mothers of Little Fawn Country Day?

But when Josie runs i...more
Published February 23rd 2012 by Create Space

Shayla Drumm
I received this book as a giveaway on Goodreads and was very excited to begin reading. The characters were believable, colorful, and entertaining. This was a quick, fun read ideal for summer days or a relaxing weekend. Eduacation is a universal subject that we all can relate to in some form or another and the plot is just outrageous enough to be believable!! I would recommend this book to those who enjoy a good laugh! I passed this book along to my mom so she can enjoy it as well.
Jackie
This book is a great look into the crazy cut-throat world of East Coast private schools full of parents, kids, and administrators who will do anything to get ahead. Matthews does a wonderful job of providing different points of views and struggles for all her characters and breaks up each chapter nicely with fun add-ins like e-mail or journal correspondence of the characters. It's a great way of moving along the plot that makes the book just fly by!
K Lauer
Just ok,.enjoyable as a resident of Rumson, the au
thor references our area
Beth
Received as a Goodreads.com gift. As a person who grew up in New Jersey, went to a boarding prep school, worked in Greenwich Ct, and has served on the board of a Catholic School which goes up to 8th Grade, and on the board of the 1st Montessori school in the USA, located in Greenwich, I feel every word of the story in my inner being. Other than the sneaky characters (Principal, one teacher and one parent) it portrays the different parents and children one comes across. I liked the replication of...more
Danielle
This book was a quick, fun read. I loved the crazy antics that kept the characters occupied. It just shows that people with too much money and not enough sense will get themselves into all kinds of trouble. I grew up in NJ, but down in south Jersey. My neighborhood was middle class and all surrounding neighborhoods were middle to lower middle class, so even though I went to a private school, fund raisers were more of the car wash/sub sale variety. My dad was a math teacher and my mom taught Engl...more
Karen Rae
I was delighted that my daughter won this book on Goodreads because it gave me the opportunity to read it too. It especially touched my heart as an educator to read about different situations in a school setting. The author shared both humerous and serious situations. I found the book entertaining, lighthearted, and fun to read.
Lizz
Hmmm... I seem to be in the minority here. I didn't love this one. Our son went to private school K-12 and while there are people like these, there are a lot more lovely, caring, fabulous people. I realize, however, that a book about the nice, normal people wouldn't be as interesting to read. A dilemma.
T
This is a fun and good humored book to read, with a serious take on education matter in private school where those will go to extremes to receive their goals. Good for a summer read.
Lori

Not at all like anything I would normally read, but given to me by a colleague. It was a short, fun satire on independent schools and the parents, faculty, and administrators.
Pauline
Quick, fun read, especially if you are from the Monmouth County, NJ area where this fictional story is based. Gotta love the "NJ ASS" and "Everyman Math". :-)
Jen Evans
Surprisingly good read! Loved all the webs and turns of this community. Super quick read, great beach read.
Jayy Jigsaw
Jayy Jigsaw marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2013
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
B.R. Depue
B.R. Depue marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2013
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Savannah Miller
Savannah Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2013
Amanda Kruckenberg
Amanda Kruckenberg marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2013
Amy Holman
Amy Holman marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2012
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2012
Jenell Unger
Jenell Unger marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2012
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Getting in Without Freaking Out: The Official College Admissions Guide for Overwhelmed Parents Be Quiet, Be Heard: The Paradox Of Persuasion Nurturing Baby And Me During Pregnancy No Pienses Tanto en el Dinero... Pesuelvelo = Don't Think So Much about Money Boxcar to Boardrooms: My Formula for 14 Years of Average Annual Double Digit Growth, Restoring the Harlem Globetrotters, and Changing Busine