Start by marking “The Mothers of Country Day” as Want to Read:
The Mothers of Country Day

The Mothers of Country Day

3.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  216 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Standardized test fraud, secrets, and scandal at a posh suburban private school...

When Josie Messina’s math wizard 12-year-old son earns a scholarship to one of New Jersey’s toniest private schools, Josie feels blessed but intimidated. Will a hardworking, cash-strapped single mom fit in with the wealthy, fashionable mothers of Little Fawn Country Day?

But when Josie runs i
Published February 23rd 2012 by Create Space

To ask other readers questions about The Mothers of Country Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mothers of Country Day

Shayla Drumm
Apr 10, 2012 Shayla Drumm rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a giveaway on Goodreads and was very excited to begin reading. The characters were believable, colorful, and entertaining. This was a quick, fun read ideal for summer days or a relaxing weekend. Eduacation is a universal subject that we all can relate to in some form or another and the plot is just outrageous enough to be believable!! I would recommend this book to those who enjoy a good laugh! I passed this book along to my mom so she can enjoy it as well.
Jackie
Mar 09, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it
This book is a great look into the crazy cut-throat world of East Coast private schools full of parents, kids, and administrators who will do anything to get ahead. Matthews does a wonderful job of providing different points of views and struggles for all her characters and breaks up each chapter nicely with fun add-ins like e-mail or journal correspondence of the characters. It's a great way of moving along the plot that makes the book just fly by!
Susan Becraft
Jul 13, 2015 Susan Becraft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satire and truth

I am almost reluctant to characterize this story as good satire because I unfortunately know many of the characters. Living in the rarified air of prep school mania in Manhattan, where anxious newlyweds enroll yet-to-be-conceived munchkins in elite learning institutions, I was not exactly laughing as I read the book. Yes, satire is an exaggeration of the truth, but parts of this story could be nonfiction.

Arlene Matthews scored high points with me when she compared the New Age-ish
Tracy
Sep 08, 2015 Tracy rated it liked it
Parody of one year at a private school in the northeast, which focuses on single mother Josie and her scholarship son, although there are a few other moms that get some attention including a mom obsessed with getting her so-so daughter into Brown, a rich philanthropist who isn't sure if she should keep her kids at the school and a mom whose husband recently had an affair with the kindergarden teacher. Other characters include the shady head master and his minion, the computer teacher he coaxed i ...more
K Lauer
Apr 03, 2012 K Lauer rated it it was ok
Just ok,.enjoyable as a resident of Rumson, the au
thor references our area
Beth
Apr 16, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
Received as a Goodreads.com gift. As a person who grew up in New Jersey, went to a boarding prep school, worked in Greenwich Ct, and has served on the board of a Catholic School which goes up to 8th Grade, and on the board of the 1st Montessori school in the USA, located in Greenwich, I feel every word of the story in my inner being. Other than the sneaky characters (Principal, one teacher and one parent) it portrays the different parents and children one comes across. I liked the replication of ...more
Danielle
Apr 17, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it
This book was a quick, fun read. I loved the crazy antics that kept the characters occupied. It just shows that people with too much money and not enough sense will get themselves into all kinds of trouble. I grew up in NJ, but down in south Jersey. My neighborhood was middle class and all surrounding neighborhoods were middle to lower middle class, so even though I went to a private school, fund raisers were more of the car wash/sub sale variety. My dad was a math teacher and my mom taught Engl ...more
Margo Marks
Jan 08, 2016 Margo Marks rated it really liked it
Sometimes I just want to fly through a book that's entertaining, fun and light. This book is just that. An easy read with relate-able moments and characters we've all met in real life.
Alyssa
Nov 30, 2015 Alyssa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute

Easy read. Somewhat fluffy but not in a horrible way. I would consider it a good beach book but nothing really beyond that here.
Nicole
Jan 20, 2015 Nicole marked it as abandoned
Too boring! I'm quitting this one.
Heather Reese
Jul 21, 2015 Heather Reese rated it liked it
A mindless super quick read.
Abby Jean
Feb 21, 2016 Abby Jean rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
nope.
Karen Rae
Apr 10, 2012 Karen Rae rated it really liked it
I was delighted that my daughter won this book on Goodreads because it gave me the opportunity to read it too. It especially touched my heart as an educator to read about different situations in a school setting. The author shared both humerous and serious situations. I found the book entertaining, lighthearted, and fun to read.
Lizz
Sep 16, 2013 Lizz rated it liked it
Hmmm... I seem to be in the minority here. I didn't love this one. Our son went to private school K-12 and while there are people like these, there are a lot more lovely, caring, fabulous people. I realize, however, that a book about the nice, normal people wouldn't be as interesting to read. A dilemma.
Wanda
Sep 04, 2015 Wanda rated it did not like it
Ridiculous!
T
Apr 19, 2012 T rated it liked it
This is a fun and good humored book to read, with a serious take on education matter in private school where those will go to extremes to receive their goals. Good for a summer read.
Lori
May 17, 2012 Lori rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction

Not at all like anything I would normally read, but given to me by a colleague. It was a short, fun satire on independent schools and the parents, faculty, and administrators.
Pauline
Apr 16, 2012 Pauline rated it really liked it
Quick, fun read, especially if you are from the Monmouth County, NJ area where this fictional story is based. Gotta love the "NJ ASS" and "Everyman Math". :-)
Jen Evans
Apr 12, 2013 Jen Evans rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good read! Loved all the webs and turns of this community. Super quick read, great beach read.
Sarah Donegan
Sarah Donegan rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
D
D rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Booklover
Booklover marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Juju
Juju rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Tina
Tina rated it did not like it
Jul 14, 2016
Meg Iampietro
Meg Iampietro rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
S Wilker
S Wilker is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2016
Lisa Bender
Lisa Bender rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Alexis King
Alexis King marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
  • I Can Only Give You Everything
  • Strangers
  • Beginning With the End: A Memoir of Twin Loss and Healing
  • Sweet so Fragile
  • Letters to Mom
  • Santa Claus and Little Sister
  • A Charmed Life (The Charmed Life, #1-3)
  • At the End (The Road to Extinction, #1)
  • Dremiks
  • A Touch of Honor (The Honor Trilogy #1)
  • Us