Start by marking “Single: Arguments for the Uncoupled” as Want to Read:
Single: Arguments for the Uncoupled

Single: Arguments for the Uncoupled

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  5 reviews
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single must be in search of a partner
Published July 2nd 2012 by NYU Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Single, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Single

Karli
This is a book that answers back to "a world slavishly devoted to the supremacy of the couple." Cobb promises to explore an "aesthetics of distance" rather than intimacy, and offers lucid and insightful arguments for the single life in a world that is saturated with new media and technology, commodity fetishism, and economies of desire, which are all built to encourage couple and family models. He is very careful to parse the difference between loneliness and aloneness and traces how our society ...more
Morgan
This book was more like arguments against the coupled, but it suited me just fine for a pre-Valentines read. He makes some very good points, though I feel some he belaboured a bit.
Gabriel C.
I'm going to complain that this was false advertising. I feel like the thesis, or rather central idea, was such a gossamer confection that any books or painters or landscape could have been tied to it. I mean, that's the nature of the beast, but I guess I was expecting this to be some sort of practical or social-scientific document, not a post-modern polemic.
Michelle
Sadly, my brain is too rotted to read this, I couldn't even get through the whole introduction, nor subsequently the first chapter. This is an academic, philosophical, intellectual book that constantly references literature, film etc., which wasn't what I really expected or wanted. But more to the point, I'm just no longer smart enough to read this.
Stephen Durell
The intro was great. The rest of the book was more academic than I was looking for.
Edie
Edie marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Anthony
Anthony is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
Abby doodlepants
Abby doodlepants marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
LaTarsha
LaTarsha marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Elsie C
Elsie C marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Macartney
Macartney marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Mary Brown
Mary Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
B
B marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Urszula
Urszula marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Sandy Hilton
Sandy Hilton marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Ray
Ray marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Analilia
Analilia marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Elvia
Elvia marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Best Sex Writing 2012: The State of Today's Sexual Culture
  • Singled Out: How Singles Are Stereotyped, Stigmatized, and Ignored, and Still Live Happily Ever After
  • Is Marriage for White People?: How the African American Marriage Decline Affects Everyone
  • The Meaning of Wife: A Provocative Look at Women and Marriage in the Twenty-First Century
  • Crazy in America: The Hidden Tragedy of Our Criminalized Mentally Ill
  • Virginity Lost: An Intimate Portrait of First Sexual Experiences
  • Bachelor Girl: The Secret History of Single Women in the Twentieth Century
  • The Fan Who Knew Too Much: The Secret Closets of American Culture
  • Why We Love Sociopaths: A Guide to Late Capitalist Television
  • On My Own: The Art of Being a Woman Alone
  • Language Intelligence: Lessons on Persuasion from Jesus, Shakespeare, Lincoln, and Lady Gaga
  • Black in Latin America
  • Pink Ribbons, Inc.: Breast Cancer and the Politics of Philanthropy
  • What's Wrong with Fat?
  • Single State of the Union: Single Women Speak Out on Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
  • The Numbers Game: The Commonsense Guide to Understanding Numbers in the News, in Politics, and in Life
  • The Gloria Anzaldúa Reader
  • Mañana Forever? Mexico and the Mexicans
God Hates Fags: The Rhetorics of Religious Violence Racial Blasphemies Dance Today In Canada IIS Security Norfolk And Suffolk (Railways Of Britian)