Start by marking “The Art of Running Faster” as Want to Read:
The Art of Running Faster

The Art of Running Faster

The Art of Running Faster challenges the stereotypes of how distance runners should train. Readers will learn how to overcome factors that prevent them from running faster and avoid injury with correct running technique. Author and former world-class runner Julian Goater shares personal experiences to help in applying each suggestion.
Paperback, 1, 216 pages
Published March 9th 2012 by Human Kinetics (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Running Faster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Running Faster

Amy
Jun 27, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfict, running
Lots of good advice.

*Beginning runners often run at "medium" rather than ever really going hard or easy.

*Variation! Tempo, intervals, long rest, short rest, playful, intense...

*Build strength, suppleness, speed, and two other S's. Good advice for all around fitness.
Sharon James
Dec 15, 2013 Sharon James rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! I didn't stop reading it until I finished in the early hours of morning. As a runner of ten years I have only ever focused on running long but after reading this I am excited about taking a year off ultra/marathon goals to concentrate on speed work and implementing advice from this book.
Julykatrae
Jan 03, 2016 Julykatrae rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
Lots of good practical tips for beginners to experienced runners - there is something in there for everyone. Lots of focus on running technique including drills, intervals & hills, strength, stretch etc. Must read for every runner.
Matthew Cockerill
May 13, 2014 Matthew Cockerill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sport
Excellent - quick read, from someone who has run at the very top level, and yet with ideas easily applicable by any runner (and other sports too, in fact)
Andréas Dieryck
Jan 04, 2017 Andréas Dieryck rated it really liked it
The Art of Running Faster is an interesting book that goes against conventional wisdom in advising speedwork, recovery session, short session, intensive stretching, double daily training for all kind of runners. Mileage is not the only key to improvement says Goater and he may have a big point in advising complementary, exhaustive sessions for all types of runners. The stories and examples provided by the author make it an entertaining and lively read as well, though most of the references date ...more
Daniele
Feb 10, 2017 Daniele rated it liked it
This was my first book about running and had lots of interesting advises!
As often happens, the information could have be expressed in half the pages.
The author instead relives his past glory on every other page, I found this too much.
Helen
Apr 25, 2012 Helen rated it liked it
I found a lot of helpful information in The Art of Running Faster. Like many how-to running books, I had to skim for what interested me and skip what didn’t. I found learning about fartleks and other training strategies extremely helpful. While I wasn’t very interested in reading about specific races and runners, I did enjoy some of the pictures. As a new runner, when talking about a picture in which one runner is finishing strong and his pursuer has “started to labour and over-stride”, I couldn ...more
Keith Kendall
Jun 21, 2013 Keith Kendall rated it really liked it
In a sense, this the the memoirs of Julian Goater, in another sense, it is a compilation of what he has learned about running as an elite runner.

He is really big on doing intervals, but not long intervals. Hills are also great training, and not just the uphill, but don't get injured on the downhill portion.

Flexibility is important. He recognizes that runners don't like to take a lot of time stretching, so has a nice short set of stretches.

It is well written because I was half way through the bo
Adrian Royce
Dec 29, 2012 Adrian Royce rated it really liked it
Shelves: sport
This is a book that is very autobiographical but that should not detract from the great information contained in its pages. Sure a heap of the advice can be found on the interweb or in runners magazines but it is a unique insight into the author's way of confronting issues. One of the best chapters is near the end and that is about dealing with psychological stuff - that is rare to find on the interweb. Not sure if it needed a whole chapter dedicated to running clubs though! In short, I ran fast ...more
Angelo Barrameda
Feb 15, 2015 Angelo Barrameda rated it really liked it
The book would cater to both first time runners and seasoned runners as well. It is nice to be inside the mind of an international runner who has experienced to compete against the best in the world.

The emphasis on stride and cadence has drastically improved my speed. Though I may have a lot to do with my training, I am confident that I would be able to improve my speed by following the 5S

Cameron
Mar 08, 2014 Cameron rated it really liked it
More of a autobiography then a book about training. I didn't mind this aspect,however if you were more interested in running training in a structured manner then look somewhere else. Most of the advice is sound and current. Key points - high cadence controlled through short back and forth with elbows. Run tall and with a slight lean
Mike Wallace
Mar 25, 2015 Mike Wallace rated it liked it
Meh. One more genetically blessed runner providing anecdotal advice and reliving his glory days. I much prefer Daniels' Running Formula or Road Racing for Serious Runners.
Andrea James
I really liked the parts of book with advice on how to improve running techniques but I was not so keen on the anecdotes. Overall, the book inspired me to be more well-rounded in my training and to include regimes to increase my suppleness, strength and skill instead of just focusing on speed and stamina.
Ta0paipai
Jul 08, 2015 Ta0paipai rated it it was amazing
A book that offers sound advice to inexperienced runners and challenges long-time runners to think, and train, outside the box. I hope to reap the benefits of adding some new techniques to my training menu!
Andy Theyers
Feb 23, 2016 Andy Theyers rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, sport
Hugely useful (particularly on stretching and strength) if a little repetitive and over zealous (how many of us are actually going to run twice a day, six days a week?)
Jonny Wignall
Feb 01, 2013 Jonny Wignall rated it it was amazing
If you are interested in running , even if you dont want to become a competitor , this will help you run better and that is a good thing !!
Josie Wright
Jan 22, 2013 Josie Wright rated it really liked it
Excellent advice for runners, has made me completely rethink my routine. I like the anecdotal examples, but appreciate it's not for everyone!
Charles
Feb 06, 2013 Charles rated it liked it
Some useful information and willing to be different if need be. Could tone down the references to his winning the national cross country and the fact that he was pals with Dave Bedford.
Michael
Nov 17, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot and wished that I had read it as a younger runner! Full of great training ideas, personal stories and recollections from the golden age of British distance running.
Jellybean6401
Jan 04, 2013 Jellybean6401 rated it it was ok
It was ok, but it went into waaaayyyy to much detail. My favourite part was the streches and warmups. I would totally recommend this book for people trying to train for a marathon!
Mylesgorton
Sep 07, 2014 Mylesgorton rated it really liked it
Really interesting and very detailed - you can't read this without improving your running in some way!
Maor Avdar
Maor Avdar rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2013
Jaco Vermaak
Jaco Vermaak rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2015
Nicola Nuttall
Jan 09, 2013 Nicola Nuttall rated it liked it
Some good tips but don't think it's going to make me much faster...
Haley
Haley rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2017
Tom Bryan
Tom Bryan rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Sharon Luoma jones
Sharon Luoma jones rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Jakub Onysk
Jakub Onysk rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2015
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
  • Advanced Marathoning
  • Feet in the Clouds: A Tale of Fell-Running and Obsession
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • From Last to First: A long-distance runner's journey from failure to success
  • The Science of Running: How to find your limit and train to maximize your performance
  • Running and Philosophy: A Marathon for the Mind
  • The Art of Captaincy
  • The Anatomy of Stretching
  • Rough Ride: Behind the Wheel With a Pro Cyclist
  • The Parkour and Freerunning Handbook
  • Marathon Man: My 26.2-Mile Journey from Unknown Grad Student to the Top of the Running World
  • How Bad Do You Want It?: Mastering the Psychology of Mind Over Muscle
  • The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer
  • Anatomy for Runners: Unlocking Your Athletic Potential for Health, Speed, and Injury Prevention

“If presidents and prime ministers can find time to stay fit, others of us can find ways to do it, too.” 0 likes