Start by marking “The World of Poo (Discworld, #39.5)” as Want to Read:
The World of Poo  (Discworld, #39.5)

The World of Poo (Discworld #39.5)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  1,744 Ratings  ·  216 Reviews
A Discworld picture book.
At six o'clock every day, without fail, with no excuses, Sam Vimes must go home to read 'The World of Poo', with all the appropriate noises, to his little boy.
A picturebook that picks up a story from 'Snuff!', the brand new Discworld novel.
Published June 7th 2012 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The World of Poo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Poo

Dan Schwent
Jul 08, 2015 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
When young Geoffrey goes to Ankh Morpork to stay with his grandmother, he quickly develops a fascination with poo. Hilarity ensues.

The World of Poo started out as a book Sam Vimes was reading his son in Snuff. Smelling an opportunity, Old Pratch squeezed out this nugget before his final days. When it popped up on Netgalley, I had to pinch it.

The World of Poo is the tale of one young man's poo obsession, leading to him visiting various Ankh Morpork locales and collecting fragrant specimens for hi
Huw Evans
Jun 11, 2012 Huw Evans rated it really liked it
A scatological pearl from Ankh Morpork, stemming from Young Sam Vimes' infatuation with all things faecal (ref. Snuff). The protagonist, a young boy urbanned out to his granny during the birth of his sister, finds his interest in poo is aroused when a passing bird dumps on his head. With the exception of his maid, his interest is nurtured and encouraged by all concerned. His highly placed and well connected granny arranges trips to the Dragon Sanctuary, the Patrician's menagerie and, eventually, ...more
Chris
Disclaimer: ARC for the American Edition via Netgalley.

This is a book about poop (or poo) or whatever other term you wish to use to describe what ends up after we digest things. Some people call it other things (I’m looking at you Count Dookie, sorry, Count Dooku).

This is a book about poo for children so at no point is the s word used (in case you were wondering).

If you are a fan of Terry Pratchett and have kept up with the Discworld books, you will know that the World of Poo by Miss Biddle i
Andy
Dec 29, 2013 Andy rated it liked it
A story about a young boy with an interest in poo. As an accompaniment to Snuff it's quite a fun little book but I'm not quite sure who it's written for with both the young and the old being short changed in an attempt to cover all the bases. I personally found it too basic, actually hoping for more detail into the world of poo - we find out it's used in tanning but not how. I want to know!

Generally it's amusing rather than funny though kids should enjoy it. The footnotes we all love are present
Сибин Майналовски
Брилянтна книга! Накара ме да се хиля с глас... Нищо, че някои пишман-моралисти се мръщят на клозетния хумор - в крайна сметка това си остава една от първосигналните шеги на човечеството и немалко хора са успели да монетаризират любовта на народа към тоалетните шегички. Пратчет и жена му тук са в стихията си - особено що се отнася до бележките под линия: там вече е висш пилотаж. С нетърпение очаквам останалите книги от серията и я препоръчвам на всички, които не се мръщят с пуританска лиготия, ...more
Ellie
Jun 22, 2012 Ellie rated it it was amazing
In Snuff, Young Sam Vines had moved on from Where’s My Cow? and his new favourite book was The World of Poo. Because Sir Terry Pratchett his awesome, once again he has brought Sam’s fictional book to life in a charming story all about poo!

I’m not sure the plot really matters. Geoffrey is staying with his Grandmother in Ankh-Morpork and he starts up a poo museum in the garden shed after he’s told that being pooed on by a bird is good luck. The story follows his adventures round the city as he col
Nesa Sivagnanam
Dec 06, 2012 Nesa Sivagnanam rated it it was amazing
From "Snuff": 'Vimes' prompt arrival got a nod of approval from Sybil, who gingerly handed him a new book to read to Young Sam. Vimes looked at the cover. The title was "The World of Poo". When his wife was out of eyeshot he carefully leafed through it. Well, okay, you had to accept that the world had moved on and these days fairy stories were probably not going to be about twinkly little things with wings. As he turned page after page, it dawned on him that whoever had written this book, they ...more
Knigoqdec
Това е една от най-очарователно гнусните истории, които съм чувала xD xD Не за хора с гнусливи сърца!
Въпреки че смърдящата тема в Азия има много почитатели, особено ако се доверяваме на голяма част от корейските и японските филми, на запад е почти табу. Но пък какъв ти запад, след като всъщност се намираме в Анкх-Морпорк?!
За такива хора като милионерите в "Светът на акото"... парите не миришат xD
Уникално изтрещяване...
Kyrie
I knew I'd like this book, just because Pratchett wrote it. I didn't expect to find it charming and amusing.

The premise is that it's a book Sam Vimes reads to his son, Young Sam. It's about a Geoffrey, who goes to stay with his Grandmama when his mother gives birth to his baby sister. While there, he develops his fascination with poo, and starts his own poo museum. Grandmama is a great deal more understanding than you'd expect. She takes him several places to indulge his hobby, and even lets hi
Angie Lisle
Jun 13, 2012 Angie Lisle rated it it was amazing
The World of Poo was first mentioned (fictitiously) in Snuff (Discworld #39) -it's Commander Sam Vimes' son's favorite book- and now it has been turned into a reality.

I enjoyed the illustrations (kudos Peter Dennis) and I love the real facts about poo that are worked into the story and footnotes. I think those facts made me laugh more than the bathroom humor (I'm also very glad that I'm not Pratchett's research assistant)!
Hilary
Mar 14, 2016 Hilary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Geoffrey goes on an adventure and discovers the world of poo. With great (tasteful!) illustrations and the footnotes we've all come to expect and love... a fun read for anyone who still has leanings towards strange puns and wants to learn some actual facts. Hint: gargoyle poo is much more rare than the book suggests :)
Emily
Feb 20, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Delightfully silly (but taking itself quite seriously as a work of children's literature). A full extra star for the quality of the design, from the old-fashioned line drawings to the....evocative...endpapers.
Zechy
Nov 03, 2012 Zechy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
They don't make kids book like this anymore. Delightful.
Carlotta
Aug 22, 2012 Carlotta rated it it was amazing
"The world of Poo" is a very nice children book indeed! I would of loved it as a kid, this is a perfect shared lecture to have with your own "puppies" especially when they are in their "Crazy Scientist age", the one where they get fixated on bugs, dinosaurs etc.

This book accompanies the adult book "Snuff" of Sir Terry Pratchett, so you can read them together, it is a "boys book" (though i strongly believe girls will love it too), written in a 19th century child book style.

You will read the adven
Colleen
Dec 30, 2012 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy, nature, children
"The World of Poo" accompanies Pratchett's novel Snuff. In Snuff, the main character's son, Young Sam, gets to meet the author of his favorite book, Miss Felicity Beedle, who offers Young Sam a signed copy of the book. This is that book.

In The World of Poo, we follow young Geoffrey and his puppy Widdler in their adventures around Ankh-Morpork. Geoffrey lives in the country and comes to visit his grandmother in the city. His first experience with poo is the "lucky" kind when a bird drops it on h
Wayne McCoy
Dec 03, 2015 Wayne McCoy rated it really liked it
'The World of Poo' combines the wit of Terry Pratchett and Discworld with young children's fascination for all things scatological to tell a pretty funny story.

When young Geoffrey goes to live with his grandmother for a while, he develops a new hobby. It starts when a bird poops on his shoulder and he's told it's lucky. Thus begins his idea to collect various specimens from various creatures. There are any number to collect, and this being Discworld, the animals are on the exotic side. He also m
Doubleday  Books
Jul 23, 2015 Doubleday Books rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites, funny
Time to dive into The World of Poo! Does the prospect of reading a book about waste make you blush? Don’t fear! You’re in for a delightful treat. The World of Poo was originally mentioned in Snuff, the 39th novel in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series. Just as J.K. Rowling did with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages, Terry Pratchett takes a fictional book from his imaginative Discworld series and turns it into a reality. The World of Poo is an extra special tr ...more
Metaphorosis
Nov 06, 2015 Metaphorosis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2015-rev
4 stars - Metaphorosis Reviews

Young Geoffrey, sent to visit his grandmother in the big city of Ankh-Morpork, has a chance encounter with avian excrement, and decides to open the world's first poo museum.

Apparently this is something of a meta-book, having been mentioned in the Discworld novel Snuff. The book brims with Terry Pratchett's characteristic humor, forthrightly brought to bear on a basic human need. It's not his funniest book, but it's light, good-natured, and fun. The illustrations are
Otherwyrld
Jan 14, 2013 Otherwyrld rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
After having been slightly disappointed by the authors last two books (Snuff and Unseen Academicals), I was glad to see Terry Pratchett back on top form. Whilst this is ostensively a children's book, it was clearly written with adult fans of the Discworld in mind, packed full as it was with references to previous books and with the author's trademark footnotes in full flow. It was also a tribute to the popularity of books set in Ankh Morpork, to the extent that I read it with the Streets of Ankh ...more
Molokov
Jun 19, 2012 Molokov rated it it was amazing
Written in the style of a 19th Century "Boy's Own" story, this story by Miss Felicity Beedle (chanelled through Terry Pratchett of course) follows young Geoffrey on his first visit to the city of Ankh-Morpork to stay with his Grand-mama. Whilst there, he discovers a fascination with all sorts of business, and decides to start up his very own poo collection and museum.

Geoffrey's story takes adults and children alike through the varied and wonderful behaviours of a range of different animals (bot
Shannon
Jun 10, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
I was umming and ahhing whether or not to go 3 or 4 stars but eventually my love of toilet humour won out. If nothing else, the cover certainly earns it that extra star - My desire to own this book simply to own it is all due to that lovely cover art.

Anyway...down to business (get it??) this is essentially a short story about a boy who decides that he will have the world's very first poo museum with a specimen from every animal and his adventures collecting said artifacts. Classic toilet humour
Abigailann (Abigail)
Nov 01, 2014 Abigailann (Abigail) rated it it was amazing

I was a little wary of this from the title, but it turned out to be a lovely child-like read.

The character of Geoffrey reminds me of many a young person, with his grandma reminiscent of The Professor in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. The use of real-world people here and there was particularly humorous.

I loved the fact that we got to know a world similar to our own through the eyes of someone from a flat world riding the back of a turtle.

A good companion to Snuff. It's a charming read,
Shan
Dec 20, 2015 Shan rated it really liked it
Another example of Terry Pratchett's boundless creativity. Full of casually mentioned creatures like, oh, the hermit elephant. Kind of like a hermit crab, but it's an elephant. Short and fun to read and a good message for kids to pursue what they're interested in, not to mention the underlying "everyone poops" message. And I really like that everyone in this book except Lily the maid (who is excused because she had eleven younger brothers) is nice and helpful to our hero, Geoffrey. Not a villain ...more
Hester
Oct 19, 2014 Hester rated it liked it
Shelves: terry-pratchett
A fun story about a little boy who is obsessed with poo. He gets to go the zoo, the plumber's guild, and the local sewage station. I do not know if kids would enjoy the book, but I certainly did. In spite of its title, it is reminiscent of Mary Poppins, rather than Winnie-the-Pooh. The illustrations are delightful.

I was left with one question--who is his grandmother? She is a very formidable woman.
Jan 10, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
Everyone poops! I've never been one to be shy about what goes on in the bathroom, so when I saw this book I knew I had to read it. If a book about a kid who collects poo can be cute than this book is it. It was a short and sweet enjoyable little tale and I liked it.
Victoria
Mar 27, 2016 Victoria rated it really liked it
I giggled like a school boy as I heard every "dirty" tongue in cheek. He was a true master of snickering prose.
D.L. Morrese
Mar 05, 2016 D.L. Morrese rated it really liked it
This was one of the few Pratchett books I hadn't read. That situation is now corrected. It's a short book about a kid who collects poo when he visits his grandmother in Ankh Morpork. It's charming.
Fibrelady
Apr 05, 2013 Fibrelady rated it really liked it
Recommended to Fibrelady by: Marc
Well Marc, that was a very "interesting" and amusing read.
Badseedgirl
Feb 20, 2016 Badseedgirl rated it really liked it
You should read this one just because.
Bee Halton
Feb 02, 2016 Bee Halton rated it it was amazing
A most delightful #book anyone should read :-) #amreading
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • The Colour of Magic: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • The Educated Ape and Other Wonders of the Worlds (Japanese Devil Fish Girl #3)
  • Chasers (Being Human, #2)
  • Chapter Two
  • Search for the Lost Kingdom (Eldohr Adventures, #1)
  • Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of2)
  • The Practical Princess and Other Liberating Fairy Tales
  • Terry Pratchett
  • Boneland (Tales of Alderley, #3)
  • Bad Blood (Being Human, #3)
  • Shoggoth's Old Peculiar
  • Grandville Bête Noire (Grandville #3)
  • King of the Dead (The Lost Slayer, #3)
  • Helga's Dowry: A Troll Love Story
  • Paint Your Dragon
  • The Turtle Moves!: Discworld's Story Unauthorized

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)