Start by marking “The Big Honey Hunt” as Want to Read:
The Big Honey Hunt

The Big Honey Hunt (The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,820 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Illustrated in full color. Papa Bear shows Brother Bear how a "smart" bear hunts for honey—with hilarious results! "Carried along by rhyme and rhythm, enlivened by humorous, colorful illustrations."—Chicago Tribune.
Published 1962 by Random House, Inc

To ask other readers questions about The Big Honey Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Honey Hunt

King Ævil
Aug 11, 2013 King Ævil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, 2013
The Big Honey Hunt is such an early Berenstain Bears work that the B. Bear family has only one obnoxious kid. In this early reader, we see just how limited the possibilities for moralizing are without two endlessly squabbling, misbehaving children: we are reduced to learning lessons about the perils of amateur apiculture in the age of Africanized honeybees.*

Though the Berenstains do a fine job presenting the themes of Papa Bear's eternal foolishness and sticking (heh-heh) to what you know, I'm b
Madison Godfrey
It is a story about Mama Bear, Papa Bear and their son Small Bear, the plot in this book is that the family has run out of honey and Mama bear gives Papa Bear and Small Bear the task of getting more. She tells them that they should just go to the store to purchase the honey but Papa Bear tries to collect wild honey instead. On the journey to the tree filled with the honey they follow a bee tree to tree but instead of finding honey encounter other animals including a porcupine and a family of sku ...more
Rachel
Sep 14, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate to say it, but the Berenstain Bears were more fun before Small Bear became Brother Bear and they got all moralistic and stuff. This book is a hoot. I read it to my pre-reading son last night, and after one time through, he was able to "read" it to himself in the car today, not getting all the words right, but making up his own to fit around the sing-songy rhythm and rhyme scheme and the bits he remembered. Excellent.
Alexandria
Mama Bear, Papa Bear and their son Small Bear run out of honey and Mama bear gives Papa Bear and Small Bear the task of getting more. She tells them that they should just go to the store to purchase the honey but Papa Bear tries to collect wild honey instead. On the journey to the tree filled with the honey they follow a bee tree to tree but instead of finding honey encounter other animals including a porcupine and a family of skunks. Once they finally arrive to the tree that has the honey it is ...more
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, storybook
This book was terrible. It seems like a lesson on how to be a narcissist or sociopath.

Papa bear brings his son on a honey hunt, in the process:
-destroying an owl's nest and egg without a second thought
-disturbing a porcupine and a skunk family with complete disregard to their feelings or his son's safety, instead caring only about how it affects him and his honey hunt
-and rips apart and destroys a bees' tree, again with no consideration at all about how the bees might feel about that, and no re
Morris
Nov 30, 2013 Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I liked when they got honey from the honey store."
David Sarkies
Mar 09, 2014 David Sarkies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The modern economic system for children
4 August 2013

I do really like the Berenstain bears, and this was one of those stories from my childhood that I read over and over again. Basically the bears run out of honey and are asked to go and get some more from the store, but Papa bear decides that he will save some money and go on a honey hunt by following a bee. However, as can be expected, his knowledge is far from perfect. Basically he thinks he knows how to hunt for honey, but he makes assumptio
Tracy Poff
The Big Honey Hunt is the first Berenstain Bears book, from way back in 1962. It tells about how Papa Bear and Small Bear (who would later be called Brother Bear) go out to get some honey. Mama Bear has told them to go to the store, but Papa Bear thinks that buying honey is for suckers–-he'll go get it from a honey tree. Of course, this has predictably (for those who know Papa Bear) disastrous results.

One thing I noticed when reading this is that the art style has really changed over the years.
Joy
Warning: This book is actually pretty long.

My daughter got a copy of this book with a bag of Dr. Seuss beginner books. This is actually written by the authors of the Berenstain Bears and takes place when Brother Bear was Small Bear (so, before Sister was born).

Mama sends Papa out to get some honey from the honey store. Instead, Papa thinks he can get better honey from some wild bees and takes Small Bear on a "honey hunt."
Margot Major
Sep 03, 2014 Margot Major marked it as to-read
Item Description: New York: Beginner Books, Random, 1964. Book Club ed. Hardcover. 63 pages., 1964. Book Condition: Very Good. No Jacket. An I Can Read It All By Myself, Beginner Books edition. Vintage Book Club edition. 150 word vocabulary. Sewn binding. VG/No Jacket. Clean, tight, PO name dated 1965. Light scuffing at tips/edges. Pages brightand crisp as new

29.00
Janet
A first in a series of Berenstain Bears classics, this book takes us on a long and adventurous honey hunt with with Papa Bear where we encounter an owl, a porcupine, and a family of skunks. And that's just the beginning.

Age: 2+

Skill: Narrative Skills (This book is excellent for retelling with its sequence of events and clear story goal, finding honey.)
Connie
Jul 23, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the earlier Berenstain Bear books, and it shows. Despite the cover, the bears on the *inside* of this book are less stylized and cutesy than the bears in the newer books. Also, the book is more of an early reader, it rhymes and is nowhere near as wordy as the newer, $4 books. (Tell the truth, I like all these older Berenstains better!)

The little bear and his dad go out to get honey, but of course they eschew the honey store *right next to their house* and go on, surprise, a honey
Marissa
Feb 25, 2015 Marissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book about a dad taking his son out on a "treasure" hunt to find a honey tree. Mama bear just told him to go to the honey store but papa bear thought her knew better! I like the moral of this story...mama knows best :P HAHAHA.
Candace Kovar
Very good book for young readers. Teaches children about never giving up even when you are wrong, can also use the story to illustrate that you should follow the directions the first time.

Activity for class talk about not giving up.
chucklesthescot
Oh dear, why doesn't he just buy the honey at the shop like his wife tells him to instead of trying to follow a bee to the honey tree? Dear dear! This was an amusing rhyming story about the adventures on the hunt for honey.
Madison
Jun 25, 2016 Madison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My three year old loved this book. The simple illustrations, silly predicaments and animals reactions made him giggle. He loved the repetitive text and was excited to see how Papa Bear solved his honey problem.
Eileen
Jun 09, 2011 Eileen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 2-8
Shelves: kids
I'm kind of torn on my review for this book.
The female child in me (figuratively speaking, you perv) gets satisfaction out of the adult male trying to be all macho, defiant, and know-it-all; then gets a large helping of humble, told-you-so pie.

The helicopter Mom part of me doesn't like the fact that we're teaching children to practice irresponsible behavior and actions on the assumption that you're always correct and you "know better" than everyone else and you'll do it "my way."

Then the medicat
Christine Matson
Jul 04, 2014 Christine Matson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love that my Grandma gave me books and my mom saved them. Now I read them to my daughter and they are so special....especially with some of my doodling!:)
Cin-Ru
Jul 07, 2016 Cin-Ru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny try to find the honey tree but all wrong. But papa bear kept telling brother bear true stuff like how to find the honey bee.
Cassandra
Classic! I love this funny Berenstain Bears book. The honey hunt is absolutely hilarious, including papa bear's final solution.
Pam
May 05, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a classic, we all love this one...the Papa Bear is too funny and sure of himself, even when he shouldn't be!
Sarah Stevens
I definitely love this book and remember it from when I was younger. An old but great classic for younger kids.
Audryaunna
Nov 29, 2014 Audryaunna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Papa Bear and Brother Bear are sent out to get honey. Papa goes through a lot of trouble to get the perfect honey.
Heather
Jun 07, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love these books. I hope they all rhyme like these early books do.
Jody
Feb 26, 2016 Jody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moral of the story - listen to your mother. She knows.
Jul 31, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Phinn loves this one.
May 15, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
When they run out of honey, Papa Bear and his son go on an adventure in search of some wild honey. They encounter all kinds of wild animals before finally finding the honey tree. Unfortunately they realize where there is honey there are also likely to be bees, and end up buying honey from the store after getting chased away from the honey tree by the angry swarm.
This story was cute, the illustrations are nice, and it is definitely a good early reader with lots of repetition and rhyming.
Mya
  • Barbapapa
  • The Tale of Custard the Dragon
  • Fuzzy Fuzzy Fuzzy!: a touch, skritch, & tickle book
  • Biscuit's Big Friend
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books (8 books)
  • The Bike Lesson