Start by marking “88 Pianos: A Recumbent Adventure Across America” as Want to Read:
88 Pianos: A Recumbent Adventure Across America

88 Pianos: A Recumbent Adventure Across America

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Published January 12th 2012 by Radiant Press; 1 edition

To ask other readers questions about 88 Pianos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 88 Pianos

Hal Brodsky
This is an enjoyable and fairly well written book about one man's journey across America via recumbent bike. It was readable and I enjoyed it, though I suspect I enjoyed it mostly because I had not previously read a book about such a cross-country excursion.
The problem with the book is that it really is more of a journal than a work of substance. While the book earns its title form the author's plan to play 88 pianos during his journey, he never says why he wants to do this and only recounts a f
Diane Lybbert
William Northey decided to travel across the US, from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean, on a recumbent bicycle. Along the way, he determined to find and play 88 pianos. Sounds like an interesting premise, doesn't it? He blogged along the way, and then gathered all his blog entries into print. The book suffers from a real lack of editing. The stories (blog entries?) are disjointed and confusing, there were grammatical and spelling errors throughout the book (I counted at least 3 instances ...more
Rich Mulvey
The book started out well, but it didn't take long before it became more of a litany of complaints and snarky remarks about the people and towns the author encountered. There's some good writing, but also a need for an editor - I cringed at the number of times "shear" was used instead of "sheer", for example.
Nicky
This is such a funny book, and it is great to read about biking across American. If I ever had the tiniest desire to do so though, this book convinced me that it would be a terrible idea. Going up mountains, biking in the rain and wind, and super hot days, no thank you. I live in Colorado and with all the bikers you would think that we would make our roads more biker friendly, but no we are probably the worst biker friendly people out there ( I am one of those!) Wyoming is one of the layers of h ...more
Markus
Started it but got too bored. It was a freebie for the Kindle, but I think this was more of a book for friends and family who might be interested in Uncle Bill's crazy stunts. Some books are free for a reason.

I probably would have finished it with all the long commute rides I have. I'm interested in all kinds of people's conversations, but it just seemed to be salted with unnecessary profanities, I grew weary of it. Isn't there a term where people try to make things funnier by using a bad word?
John Price
An interesting book about a bicycle trip across the United States where one of the author's goals it to play 88 different pianos during the trip, which is a minor detail in the grand scheme of the book. He does relate some of the extreme difficulties he encountered in making this journey as well as many of the highlights and photos he took along the way.

Much of the text was taken from his blog. I felt that a better job of editing those entries could have produced a better book.
Sue
Good book~! This book covers the author's adventure as he travels from the Oregon Coast to the East Coast while doing it on a recumbent bicycle. Altho I have traveled parts of the same route (on a motorcycle) I can not fathem doing it on a bike. Kudos to him for completing his travels! I enjoyed this book. It was funny, full of things to keep me interested and I kept wondering what was going to happen next. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Pkstod
Generally liked the book although I dropped a star due to the pretty constant complaints of road conditions. I realize it's a pretty important part of his trip, but it got a little old for me. I enjoyed his sense of humor and the "effort" that went into this trip. I'm glad I read this book.
Les
This is a travelogue of the authors cross country bike trip. The writing is excellent and very entertaining. While he is clearly a bike enthusiast, that is not the perspective of the book.
Beck
I was hoping it would include more about the pianos, but I found it interesting to read about his experience biking.
Linda
It so an okay read. Had it's moments.
Chanouel
Chanouel marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Mary Jones
Mary Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Marilyn Corman
Marilyn Corman marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Debie Orrell
Debie Orrell marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Chris Collins
Chris Collins marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Allen Crowe
Allen Crowe marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014