Start by marking “Ghost of a Dream (Ghost Finders, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ghost of a Dream (Ghost Finders, #3)

Ghost of a Dream (Ghost Finders #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  537 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Meet the Carnacki Institute’s operatives—JC Chance: the team leader, brave, charming, and almost unbearably arrogant; Melody Chambers: the science geek who keeps the antisupernatural equipment running; and Happy Jack Palmer: the terminally gloomy telepath. Their mission: Do Something About Ghosts. Lay them to rest, send them packing, or just kick their nasty ectoplasmic ar ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Published August 28th 2012 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Ghost of a Dream, please sign up.

Pauli Koskinen No idea, Melody is chracter that seemingly excists for 4 reasons:
No idea, Melody is chracter that seemingly excists for 4 reasons:
1.) To be tech geek, so there actually is one, despite her equipment being mostly useless, cruesome and giving little to the "investigation"...
2.) Have relationship with Happy.
3.) To add dialogue between Happy and JC.
4.) That there actually is female Chracter in the main cast..

But she seems rather hollow.(less)
Gunmetal Magic by Ilona AndrewsFair Game by Patricia BriggsLover Reborn by J.R. WardTangle of Need by Nalini SinghLothaire by Kresley Cole
Upcoming Fantastika 2012
202nd out of 202 books — 108 voters
Cinder by Marissa MeyerA Conspiracy of Alchemists by Liesel SchwarzSeraphina by Rachel HartmanClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Selection by Kiera Cass
The "Can't Wait" Books of 2012
466th out of 468 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Elisa
I like these books, they are fun, kinda campy, the characters have their ways of behaving, they stay true to character and the world doesn't work like you expect it to. It surprises me, which I like. Scary stuff happens, though I don't end up tension filled while reading, nor do I need to close the shades at night, so it might be easy for you chickens out there. However, some pretty gross stuff happens, so you need to be able to handle a couple of gory visuals.
I will search out each of these boo
aaron
i make no bones about it...simon r. green is one of my fave's in the fantasy/sci-fi genre! he and jim butcher always write an engaging and entertaining tale with fantastic characters! this is the third book in the ghostfinders series and it is another great addition to the series! this one takes place after kim is taken and we get to see some of the ramifications of that. the ghostfinders find themselves in high trouble as they face off against an agent of the flesh undying. a great read!
Alexander Draganov
Perfect Simon R. Green here :-) The characters are awesome, the scares nasty, the writing wonderful. I am in the minority here and prefer this series to the Drood novels - the villains are more powerful and the tension higher. There are some nice positive messages as well. You can't ask for more from more :)
Nancy
Aug 28, 2012 Nancy added it
This was the first book I'd read in the Ghostfinders series, so I realize I am going out of order. I described this to a friend as: Harry, Ron, and Hermione as adults + Ghost Hunters + a touch of CSI. Creepy, a little gory at parts, but has a good sense of humor too.
Chris Bauer
I might as well confess right away. I'm Simon R. Green junkie. Everything from the Droods, to Nightside, to Ghost Finders to his much earlier Hawk & Fisher series and Deathstalker works. So, there is your full disclosure.

"Ghost of a Dream" features the Ghostfinders, a trio of hard edged, bad ass Ghostbusters. Set in the same universe as the Secret Histories and Nightside, Green does an exemplary job of crafting hilarious dialogue, interesting characters and impossible settings.

IMHO, pound f
Ade Couper
This is the 3rd in the series of "ghost finders" novels by Simon R Green , & it's really taken me until now to get the measure of the series....whereas the inspiration behind the "Secret Histories" is fairly obviously James Bond , & the "Nightside" books revolve around the idea of the lone P.I, it's taken me til now to see the inspiration here is those great ITC tv series like "Department S" & "The Protectors"....

So , what's it like? Well , JC Chance , Melody Chambers & Happy Pal
I want to like these books, I really do, and I keep reading them. But only from the library, I wouldn't want to pay for them.

The ideas are good, but they suffer from Green's usual problems. You will have your good guy(s) and the plucky female love interest. They will then "Do Appalling Things To" insert generic villain of the page. And it is always in capitol letters. His females are ALWAYS short thin pale dolls with dark hair, or tall blonds who could lift a Mack truck. We are always lead to be
Mark
Green remains a solid three stars. He's prolific and easy to read. Ghost of a Dream was well written and isn't formulaic but it also doesn't stand out. I do like the way everything ties together of the course of all of his worlds, or is it just one? This is probably my least favorite series from him but that doesn't mean much at all. All of his series are flat in the middle of my favorite books and that's a good thing. I know when a Simon R. Green book comes out that I'll enjoy it and that's rea ...more
Gedvondur
Ghost Finders series set in Green's supernatural London. Frankly, a bit....lacking compared to the Nightside and Drood Secret Histories. Still, fast, easy urban fantasy. Something to read when you don't want to think.
Nicole Gozdek
Euch gefallen Geisterstorys? Türen, die sich von Geisterhand bewegen? Beänsgtigende Geräusche aus dem Nichts? Geschichten über verschwundene Züge, die aus dem Nichts auftauchen und Angst und Schrecken verbreiten? Storys über alte, verlassene Gebäude voler Geschichte, in denen es spukt? Dann seid ihr bei Simon R. Green "Ghost of a Dream" richtig.
Neben dem gelegentlichen ängstlichen Schauder erwarten euch im 3. Band der Ghost Finders-Reihe 3 skurrile Hauptfiguren, fiese Bösewichter, Rätsel und Geh
Dan
Giving this one three stars just because It got a bit dull in the middle, with not a whole lot going on. The story, however, was interesting, and I liked where Simon went with the ending.
Nicholas May
While I dont enjoy The Ghost Finders as much as I do the Nightside, or Drood novels, it is only because the others have set the bar so high it is hard to come near them for sheer entertainment. Nonetheless, Simon R. Green has created characters that keep me coming back for more, and Ghost of a Dream is no different. The more I read about the Carnacki Institute, and its agents, the more I want to know. So let's hope he continues to give us stories about their adventures. If not, there will be a s ...more
Pearl
I liked it. Not quite as much as the other two books, but it did a lot of set up work for future storylines and sometimes you need that book. I do really wish that the "teaser" portion and the "actual story" portion had been switched around. I found the teaser story much more disturbing and weird overall. Usual Simon R. Green disclaimer: If you like his stuff you'll probably like this, if you don't like his stuff don't even think about bothering.
Chris
As usual, easy but enjoyable read
Stevenivan
Better than the last two, it finally started to approach the edge of where The Nightside books usually dwell. Even then, the plot was horribly disjointed, and the characters were barely a candle to Green's more established fare. This still felt closer to Hawk and Fischer then John Taylor, but with even less plot.
Trish
I got on better with this one than the first two in the series, although whether that was because it felt more like a Nightside book, I'm not sure. However, maybe he's finally getting into his stride with these characters. After all, it did take a couple of books before the Nightside series settled down, too.
Doug
Simon Green's books are a light read. The characters, while quirky, don't really have much depth, but I'm somewhat intrigued by the Big Mystery being established in this series of books. And, as always, the dialog is fun. The secret is to not take it too seriously.
Vera
The atmospheres of the two parts of this book were very believable, and yet spooky, not least because of the unnatural activity going on. I'm enjoying this series, although I've read several others of Green and enjoy them all.
James
Full review here:

If you enjoyed the other books in the series, this one is more of it. Still manage to creep me out at one point.
Jamie Rosen
It started out a bit awkward on the sentence level, but once Green gets his protagonists on stage it becomes unputdownable. Finished it in one day.
The Ghostfinders are not my favorite Simon R. Green series, but I do enjoy it. I liked this one a lot, it moved the overall mythology along nicely.
Sue
another fun one from Simon R. Green. If you like paranormal fantasy, check this out. Just dark enough to keep you interested, with clever plots.
Renee
This was awesome, creepy and grand like all the rest. My only issue was that the author re used the same trick three times in the same book.
Joshmcd
A little flat compared to the first two novels. The characters spend most of the time in idiosyncratic, internal dialogue.
Terry Kennedy
Left a gap in Kim's disappearance and the storyline there. Would have been nice to focus on that, still I enjoyed a quick read.
Dangermousie
Not as good as the other two in the series, but even a lesser Green is still a lot of fun.
Mark Clark Jr
I still like this series but its gotten a lot more silly this time around
Robert Giambo
I have at least 30 books by this author. This is good but not his best series.
Johnsom2478

As are all of Simon's books, this was a quick fun read.
~Anita~
I read this before and after a medical appointment. Good distraction.
Goodreads Librari...: Title is still showing as ISBN number 2 18 Aug 22, 2014 07:52PM
  • Slimy Underbelly
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • No Place Like Home (InCryptid, #0.3)
  • Forged in Fire (Sarah Beauhall #3)
  • The Nekropolis Archives
  • Zombiesque
  • Undone Deeds (Connor Grey, #6)
  • The Neon Court (Matthew Swift, #3)
  • All Seeing Eye
  • The Zombie Whisperer (Living with the Dead, #4)
  • Unleashed (Dog Days, #3)
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1)
  • No Hero
  • The Raven (Jane Harper Horror Novels, #2)
  • Writ in Blood (Serenity Falls, #1)
  • Fear City (Repairman Jack: The Early Years, #3 )
  • Halfskin (Halfskin, #1)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...
Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2) Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3) Hex and the City (Nightside, #4) Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)