Start by marking “Ghost of a Dream (Ghost Finders, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ghost of a Dream (Ghost Finders, #3)

Ghost of a Dream (Ghost Finders #3)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  675 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Meet the Carnacki Institute’s operatives—JC Chance: the team leader, brave, charming, and almost unbearably arrogant; Melody Chambers: the science geek who keeps the antisupernatural equipment running; and Happy Jack Palmer: the terminally gloomy telepath. Their mission: Do Something About Ghosts. Lay them to rest, send them packing, or just kick their nasty ectoplasmic ar ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Published August 28th 2012 by Ace (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost of a Dream, please sign up.

Pauli Koskinen No idea, Melody is chracter that seemingly excists for 4 reasons:
No idea, Melody is chracter that seemingly excists for 4 reasons:
1.) To be tech geek, so there actually is one, despite her equipment being mostly useless, cruesome and giving little to the "investigation"...
2.) Have relationship with Happy.
3.) To add dialogue between Happy and JC.
4.) That there actually is female Chracter in the main cast..

But she seems rather hollow.(less)
Gunmetal Magic by Ilona AndrewsFair Game by Patricia BriggsLover Reborn by J.R. WardTangle of Need by Nalini SinghLothaire by Kresley Cole
Upcoming Fantastika 2012
201st out of 201 books — 105 voters
Cinder by Marissa MeyerSeraphina by Rachel HartmanClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareInsurgent by Veronica RothA Conspiracy of Alchemists by Liesel Schwarz
The "Can't Wait" Books of 2012
466th out of 468 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

I like these books, they are fun, kinda campy, the characters have their ways of behaving, they stay true to character and the world doesn't work like you expect it to. It surprises me, which I like. Scary stuff happens, though I don't end up tension filled while reading, nor do I need to close the shades at night, so it might be easy for you chickens out there. However, some pretty gross stuff happens, so you need to be able to handle a couple of gory visuals.
I will search out each of these boo
i make no bones about it...simon r. green is one of my fave's in the fantasy/sci-fi genre! he and jim butcher always write an engaging and entertaining tale with fantastic characters! this is the third book in the ghostfinders series and it is another great addition to the series! this one takes place after kim is taken and we get to see some of the ramifications of that. the ghostfinders find themselves in high trouble as they face off against an agent of the flesh undying. a great read!
Simon R. Green is one of my favorite authors and after the Nigtside series ended, I finally decided to give this series a try. I enjoyed the first two well enough but almost didn't finish this one. Really I could not stand Elizabeth and Benjamin. I just wanted one of the team to duct tape their mouths shut. If these characters had not annoyed me so badly I would have given four stars.

I was really pleased that the main job did not solely focus around the enemy from Outside that has apparently bec
Alexander Draganov
Perfect Simon R. Green here :-) The characters are awesome, the scares nasty, the writing wonderful. I am in the minority here and prefer this series to the Drood novels - the villains are more powerful and the tension higher. There are some nice positive messages as well. You can't ask for more from more :)
Aug 28, 2012 Nancy added it
This was the first book I'd read in the Ghostfinders series, so I realize I am going out of order. I described this to a friend as: Harry, Ron, and Hermione as adults + Ghost Hunters + a touch of CSI. Creepy, a little gory at parts, but has a good sense of humor too.
Chris Bauer
I might as well confess right away. I'm Simon R. Green junkie. Everything from the Droods, to Nightside, to Ghost Finders to his much earlier Hawk & Fisher series and Deathstalker works. So, there is your full disclosure.

"Ghost of a Dream" features the Ghostfinders, a trio of hard edged, bad ass Ghostbusters. Set in the same universe as the Secret Histories and Nightside, Green does an exemplary job of crafting hilarious dialogue, interesting characters and impossible settings.

IMHO, pound f
Ade Couper
This is the 3rd in the series of "ghost finders" novels by Simon R Green , & it's really taken me until now to get the measure of the series....whereas the inspiration behind the "Secret Histories" is fairly obviously James Bond , & the "Nightside" books revolve around the idea of the lone P.I, it's taken me til now to see the inspiration here is those great ITC tv series like "Department S" & "The Protectors"....

So , what's it like? Well , JC Chance , Melody Chambers & Happy Pal
Well, aren't these three in for a roller coaster of "What the Fruitcake?!"! I must say that I love that each book, so far, starts out with a complete story in the first chapter or so before moving on to the main event. Very theatrical in presentation and the warm-up is delightful. The train is traumatic, the ghosts are becoming harder to detect, and our computer geek and resident telepath are sappy in their repartee. I am looking forward to the resolution and the secrets to be revealed when JC f ...more
I want to like these books, I really do, and I keep reading them. But only from the library, I wouldn't want to pay for them.

The ideas are good, but they suffer from Green's usual problems. You will have your good guy(s) and the plucky female love interest. They will then "Do Appalling Things To" insert generic villain of the page. And it is always in capitol letters. His females are ALWAYS short thin pale dolls with dark hair, or tall blonds who could lift a Mack truck. We are always lead to be
3rd in series of English Ghost Finders of the Carnacki Institute. The team of J.C. Chance, Melody Chambers and Happy Jack Palmer are sent to investigate happenings at a disused railway station where things are more and bigger than expected. Then they head to a long-abandoned Theatre where more happenings lead to something nastier. Interesting interactions among the 3 main characters.
Green remains a solid three stars. He's prolific and easy to read. Ghost of a Dream was well written and isn't formulaic but it also doesn't stand out. I do like the way everything ties together of the course of all of his worlds, or is it just one? This is probably my least favorite series from him but that doesn't mean much at all. All of his series are flat in the middle of my favorite books and that's a good thing. I know when a Simon R. Green book comes out that I'll enjoy it and that's rea ...more
Ghost Finders series set in Green's supernatural London. Frankly, a bit....lacking compared to the Nightside and Drood Secret Histories. Still, fast, easy urban fantasy. Something to read when you don't want to think.
Nicole Gozdek
Euch gefallen Geisterstorys? Türen, die sich von Geisterhand bewegen? Beänsgtigende Geräusche aus dem Nichts? Geschichten über verschwundene Züge, die aus dem Nichts auftauchen und Angst und Schrecken verbreiten? Storys über alte, verlassene Gebäude voler Geschichte, in denen es spukt? Dann seid ihr bei Simon R. Green "Ghost of a Dream" richtig.
Neben dem gelegentlichen ängstlichen Schauder erwarten euch im 3. Band der Ghost Finders-Reihe 3 skurrile Hauptfiguren, fiese Bösewichter, Rätsel und Geh
Jennifer S
I like this series. The ghost finders are all a little neurotic but wise and brave when needed. The larger forces and powers that be along with a possible institute conspiracy lead to ideas of grander plots to come
Giving this one three stars just because It got a bit dull in the middle, with not a whole lot going on. The story, however, was interesting, and I liked where Simon went with the ending.
Nicholas May
While I dont enjoy The Ghost Finders as much as I do the Nightside, or Drood novels, it is only because the others have set the bar so high it is hard to come near them for sheer entertainment. Nonetheless, Simon R. Green has created characters that keep me coming back for more, and Ghost of a Dream is no different. The more I read about the Carnacki Institute, and its agents, the more I want to know. So let's hope he continues to give us stories about their adventures. If not, there will be a s ...more
I liked it. Not quite as much as the other two books, but it did a lot of set up work for future storylines and sometimes you need that book. I do really wish that the "teaser" portion and the "actual story" portion had been switched around. I found the teaser story much more disturbing and weird overall. Usual Simon R. Green disclaimer: If you like his stuff you'll probably like this, if you don't like his stuff don't even think about bothering.
As usual, easy but enjoyable read
Better than the last two, it finally started to approach the edge of where The Nightside books usually dwell. Even then, the plot was horribly disjointed, and the characters were barely a candle to Green's more established fare. This still felt closer to Hawk and Fischer then John Taylor, but with even less plot.
I got on better with this one than the first two in the series, although whether that was because it felt more like a Nightside book, I'm not sure. However, maybe he's finally getting into his stride with these characters. After all, it did take a couple of books before the Nightside series settled down, too.
Simon Green's books are a light read. The characters, while quirky, don't really have much depth, but I'm somewhat intrigued by the Big Mystery being established in this series of books. And, as always, the dialog is fun. The secret is to not take it too seriously.
The atmospheres of the two parts of this book were very believable, and yet spooky, not least because of the unnatural activity going on. I'm enjoying this series, although I've read several others of Green and enjoy them all.
Full review here:

If you enjoyed the other books in the series, this one is more of it. Still manage to creep me out at one point.
Jamie Rosen
It started out a bit awkward on the sentence level, but once Green gets his protagonists on stage it becomes unputdownable. Finished it in one day.
The Ghostfinders are not my favorite Simon R. Green series, but I do enjoy it. I liked this one a lot, it moved the overall mythology along nicely.
another fun one from Simon R. Green. If you like paranormal fantasy, check this out. Just dark enough to keep you interested, with clever plots.
This was awesome, creepy and grand like all the rest. My only issue was that the author re used the same trick three times in the same book.
A little flat compared to the first two novels. The characters spend most of the time in idiosyncratic, internal dialogue.
Terry Kennedy
Left a gap in Kim's disappearance and the storyline there. Would have been nice to focus on that, still I enjoyed a quick read.
Goodreads Librari...: Title is still showing as ISBN number 2 18 Aug 22, 2014 07:52PM
  • Zombiesque
  • A Barricade In Hell (Delia Martin, #2)
  • Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1)
  • Slimy Underbelly
  • In the House of the Wicked (Remy Chandler, #5)
  • Possession (Greywalker, #8)
  • The Nekropolis Archives
  • No Place Like Home (InCryptid, #0.03)
  • Angel's Advocate (Beaufort & Company Mystery, #2)
  • Tales of the Red Moon Clan
  • The Crooked House: The Lilith Chronicles Book I
  • Forged in Fire (Sarah Beauhall #3)
  • Water to Burn (Nola O'Grady, #2)
  • Glitter and Mayhem
  • Basilisk (The Korsak Brothers #2)
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • The Misfortune Cookie (Esther Diamond, #6)
  • Dire Wants (Eternal Wolf Clan, #2)
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

More about Simon R. Green...

Ghost Finders (6 books)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Ghost Finders, #1)
  • Ghost of a Smile (Ghost Finders, #2)
  • Spirits From Beyond (Ghost Finders, #4)
  • Voices from Beyond (Ghost Finders, #5)
  • Forces from Beyond (Ghost Finders, #6)
Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2) Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3) Hex and the City (Nightside, #4) Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)