Guilty

Guilty

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Finn watches in horror as his stepmother is gunned down in front of his house. His father reacts and kills the gunman. When Finn learns that the killer is the same man who admitted to killing his birth mother years before, he is shocked and wants to know if this is more than a terrible coincidence. At the police station, he meets Lila, daughter of the killer, and they stri...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Orca Books (first published January 1st 2012)

Dayna Z
I just finished re-reading Guilty by Norah McClintock. I am really fond of McClintock's way of writing, and the structure of her books. This book is not part of a series- as far as i know. This book is a two-main character book. The way this is written is first person point of view, and every other chapter the POV alternates between Finn and Lila, which are the two main characters. Ten years ago Finn's mother was murdered, supposedly by Lila's father who went to jail for ten years. No later then...more
Shannon
Guilty. By: Seglin, Shannon, School Library Journal, 03628930, Jun2012, Vol. 58, Issue 6.

Gr 8 Up--Lila Ouimette's father is shot, apparently while committing murder. Finn Newsome witnesses a man (who happens to be Lila's father) kill his stepmother. Then he sees his father kill the man. It happens that the man is the same one who killed Finn's birth mother 10 years earlier. Finn has the feeling that this just can't be a coincidence and struggles to find answers to the two crimes. Lila struggles...more
Danielle Stoll
Finn discovered his mother's corpse when he was seven years old. Ten years later he looks out of his bedroom window to see his stepmother shot, and he is later told it was by the same man who admitted to killing his biological mother. While coping a second time with something most people are lucky enough not to experience a first time, he also deals with befriending Lila whom he later learns to be the daughter of the killer.

This fictional first-person told story alternates between Finn and Lila'...more
Liviania
I was drawn to GUILTY by the blurb. Finn witnesses his stepmother's murder by the same man who killed his mother and his father subsequently shooting the man. That, of course, causes him to question things. What could possibly have motivated the killer? What follows is the definition of a quick read. Since I'm timing myself for the 48 Hour Book Challenge, I know that I finished in 53 minutes.

The story alternates between Finn's point-of-view and Lila's. Lila, the daughter of the killer, grew up b...more
Annette
Guilty had enough unexpected twists and interesting main characters to keep me very interested.

Finn watches from his upstairs window as a man shoots his stepmother and Finn's father then shoots the murderer. That's the opening scene, and we are off and running.

Lila's father is the one who shot the stepmother. It just so happens that he also murdered Finn's real mother, and has just been released from prison for that crime.

The story alternates perspective between Lila and Finn. Guilty may be a bi...more
Dani
Even though there was no romance with the two, Finn and Lila were two cool characters. I had my suspicions when Louis was accused of both crimes. At first I thought he didn't kill Mrs. Newsome, but did kill Tracie. Then my mind was whizzed around with all the new clues coming in.

I was shocked when Finn actually slapped her and didn't feel any remorse...then again he was through some major trama. Still-not cool.

I was like-WHOA-when Finn shot his dad. I was actually glad that he did, and I liked...more
Dexter/Persy
I was expecting to like this, because Nora McClintock usually writes pretty good mysteries, but then the first couple chapters me doubtful.

But then, halfway through, I found myself really enjoying it and I didn't like having to put it down.

But then the ending was very abrupt, and I saw it coming.

I don't usually like mysteries and I don't usually like books in which not much happens, and Guilty is a mystery where nothing much happens. Despite this, I did kind of like it. I liked Lila and Finn and...more
Adanis
Jun 30, 2014 Adanis is currently reading it
At first I thought that Lila, the girl who was the killer of Finns step mom and possibly mom was Finn, but then I realized that on the bottom of the chapter number the character name is under there. I like this because instead of the reader focusing on one character, they can have a feel of what its like to be the other character.
Chassidy Overstreet
I really enjoyed this book. This is probably the first book I've picked up to read and enjoyed reading in over 2 years. The first paragraph automatically pulls me in. I read the whole book in four hours and couldn't sit it down. Will definitely re-read this one!
Kim McGee
I received this as an advance read.

We know someone is guilty of the murder of Finn's mom and stepmother but the question is who. Finn is unlucky enough to be the first to find his mother dead and then watch as he sees his stepmother gunned down years later. Lila is also unlucky since it is her dad that is accused of the murder of Finn's mom then dies after being shot by Finn's dad and taking the rap for his stepmom's murder as well. Both kids meet rather innocently and it is then it is Lila's re...more
sm786
Stars: 2.5/5

I couldn't put it down.

Sure, there is some heavy foreshadowing and I had a pretty good guess of what the ending was going to be less than half way through the book. However, I continued reading.

I feel like the novel could have used a bit more editing. There were a couple of scenes that seemed out of place. For example, there was a point where one of the protagonists had founds letters in a locker and I thought these letters would play a significant part towards the plot, but they d...more
Joyce
Pretty good 'who-dunnit' by Canadian author of lots of this type of story--she knows what she's doing! It's well written, easy-to-read and fast-paced, with likable protagonists. Good message, too, about how being even functionally literate is so needed to succeed in our society. I found myself able to guess the mystery pretty early on in the book though, but I still wanted to keep reading to find out if I was right. And there were a lot of details that came up that weren't expected. Maybe a CHSB...more
Emily♥
It took me less than 24 hours to read this book! It’s a page turner, for sure. This is the first book by Norah McClintock that I have read, and if I would have known how awesome and suspenseful her books are, it certainly would not have been the first!
Finn and Lila are such real characters, that I wanted everything to work out for them. The mystery surrounding these two is straight out of Criminal Minds or CSI, but Guilty is even better! Once you get started there’s no stopping.
Emily Smith
I really enjoyed McClintock's alternating points of view for Guilty. Having a girl's and a boy's perspective about the happenings in the book was great! I liked the climax of the story, but I felt like after the climax the book just ended. I wanted a little more explanation in order to clean the plot up some. This was a quick read, and I look forward to offering it in my classroom. :O)
Michael
Two teens, their lives devastated by the adults in their lives. Her father killed his mother… twice. His father sent her father to prison, and when he got out took him away again by killing him. In the shattering aftermath, there are few parents left, and precious little comfort, but enough guilt for everyone.
Lavabearian
Taite
I hate her books. She's a terrible author and I barely managed to get through this. I ended up just skimming through most of it because I just couldn't read it it was so bad.
Peggy
This was a fast paced read, I read it in one sitting. It was a good, solid story that held my interest - not amazing, but definitely compelling and worth the time!
Jaime
Guilty was an ok read. After reading a chapter or 2, I realized who the murder was. I wish it left the reader in suspense until closer to the end of the book.
Alexis
Chrissy
really surprising!! i wasn't a fan of the ending though :P
I
Me gusto y mis predicciones fueron correctas!
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2014
Aiko
Aiko marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Vaish
Vaish added it
Jul 14, 2014
Anja
Anja added it
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Norah McClintock’s fascinating mysteries are hard to put down. Her Chloe & Levesque series, Mike & Riel series, and Robyn Hunter series, all published by Scholastic Canada, have been popular with readers in many countries. Norah has also written several crime novels for reluctant readers in the Orca Soundings series from Orca Book Publishers,

Norah is a five-time winner of the Crime Writer...more
More about Norah McClintock...
Taken Last Chance (Robyn Hunter, #1) You Can Run (Robyn Hunter, #2) Out of the Cold (Robyn Hunter, #4) Nothing to Lose (Robyn Hunter, #3)