Start by marking “The Deltoid Pumpkin Seed” as Want to Read:
The Deltoid Pumpkin Seed

The Deltoid Pumpkin Seed

"The 7, as the aircraft was called, was bright orange, it had no wings, it had a deep belly and a broad, arching back. Seen from above, it was a delta. From the side, it looked like a fat and tremendous pumpkin seed."

This was the Aereon. It was the embodiment of the dreams, hopes, work, money and fanatical true grit of perhaps the most bizarre band of men ever to try to re
Paperback, Ballantine 24131, 150 pages
Published 1976 by Ballantine Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Deltoid Pumpkin Seed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deltoid Pumpkin Seed

I remember when, years ago, long before I retired, a guy came into the library and wanted some really obscure information on Ferris Wheels. I got to talking with him and over the years we became friends. He had some kind of menial job, working at KFC or something, but he was absolutely obsessed with Ferris Wheels and knew just about everything you can imagine about their history and how they work. He was thrilled when we managed to dig up the arcane material he sought.

I've always secretly admire
I'm not sure that a reader without a modicum of technical knowledge concerning aviation -- a working vocabulary of aeronautics and an understanding of the rudiments of flying -- would enjoy this as much as I did. My father is a retired aeronautical engineer, a lifelong model airplane designer/builder/racer, a private pilot, and the the one who taught me my first word: "airplane", and I've been flying in and fascinated by small planes my whole life, with one flight lesson to my credit as well, so ...more
Mar 22, 2012 Ilya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: engineering
In 1958, a Presbyterian minister from New Jersey had a vision of using dirigibles for missionary work in remote parts of the world: transporting goods and people cheaply and efficiently. The next year, he and a retired naval aviator founded a company called AEREON, honoring a 19th-century American airship. It built a trimaran airship, the world's first rigid airship since the Zeppelins of the 1930s. Unfortunately, in 1966 during taxiing trials a gust of wind overturned the aircraft; the pilots j ...more
Tom Schulte
Apr 16, 2016 Tom Schulte rated it liked it
AEREON is an aircraft manufacturer specializing in unique hybrid airships. It was founded in Princeton, New Jersey in 1959 and produced many models and prototypes up to 1971. The AEREON 26 and 7 are highlighted here. Each was an experimental aircraft developed to investigate lifting body design with a view to using its shape to create hybrid designs, part airship, part conventional aircraft. It was powered by a piston engine, driving a pusher propeller, and generated lift through the aerodynamic ...more
Oct 13, 2010 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not as intriguing as Who Killed The Electric Car, but good.
This was a quick, easy, random read that I picked up in a bar in Nicaragua. It had an odd cover and it looked a bit like science fiction but claimed to be a true story, so I decided to give it a read.

Not only does in contain a short, but thorough-feeling summary of airship usage in United States history and slightly abroad, it also reveals astounding facts about the usage and stats of airships that once dominated the sky, and makes me really, really want to ride in a dirigible.

The only thing dis
Reuben Alcatraz
Sep 10, 2008 Reuben Alcatraz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first McPhee book I read, and probably my favorite. It concerns the research and development of a hybrid aircraft combining lighter-than-air technology with airfoils. The science/math parts of the book are the typical McPhee "gee whiz, I didn't know this stuff could be so exciting," but where this book really shines are the characterizations of the team working on the Aereon. Theologians, test pilots, retired blimp men. John McPhee will often find friendly, competent, and reasonably ...more
Oct 05, 2009 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sometimes, you watch a movie, or you read a book, and you feel compelled to find out as much as you can on your own about the topics afterwards.

I thought, and was almost worried, that this might happen with Founding Fish....but it didn't.

It did happen this time. I hadn't encountered a McPhee before that had so much entertainment or such a compelling story.

And though I loved that, it doesn't make me rate it higher because it was more of a story and a little less scholarship?
Wow, that took me awhile to finish. Not that the book was slow, just I haven't had time to read as much lately. The introduction of aereon flight seemed so close in our history, and yet it seemed doomed from the start. I was almost let down that the real reason that the company failed was never really discussed. Unless no one really knew!
Feb 17, 2011 kit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
yes yes yes. true account of a team of retired navy guys and ministers who, with almost no money, were trying to build an aerobody craft (slightly heavier than air, takes off like a plane, flies like a blimp, top speed ~60mph.) seriously, email me and i'll ship you my copy. so good.
Mar 11, 2011 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Strange story with even stranger characters. The story follows a group of relative oddballs as they try to usher in a new era of air transport. McPhee delights as usual.
Mar 29, 2011 sophie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
McPhee at his worst-- hard to follow and overly technical. Which is saying a lot for the level of involvment that McPhee generally displays with his subjects.
Mar 22, 2008 Jimcgold rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
the story of a completely new aircraft that flies aerodynamically. The facts unfold in the 1970's. McPhee gets into the characters and the project with wry wit and perspective.
Margaret Harden
Margaret Harden rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Mal Gormley
Mal Gormley rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Stevegws rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2010
Clivemichael rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2012
Mike Whitten
Mike Whitten rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2012
Paul rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2011
Rohn Wood
Rohn Wood rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2012
Brian rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2010
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Opihimoke rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2014
Java Davis
Java Davis rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Matt Ference
Matt Ference rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2014
George rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2011
Just couldn't get my head around this one. I will have to try again later on.
Steve rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2013
Bill rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Spencer rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Malex rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: An Incorrect publishing date 3 16 Sep 08, 2014 08:15AM
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • First Light
  • Air America: The Explosive Inside Story Of The CIA's Supersecret Airline
  • Bomber Command
  • Steaming to Bamboola - The World of a Tramp Freighter
  • Bad Science: The Short Life and Weird Times of Cold Fusion
John McPhee was born in Princeton, New Jersey, and was educated at Princeton University and Cambridge University. His writing career began at Time magazine and led to his long association with the New Yorker, where he has been a staff writer since 1965. The same year he published his first book, A Sense of Where You Are, with FSG, and soon followed with The Headmaster (1966), Oranges (1967), The P ...more
More about John McPhee...