Start by marking “Patient One (Dr. David Ballineau and Carolyn Ross #1)” as Want to Read:
Patient One (Dr. David Ballineau and Carolyn Ross #1)

Patient One (Dr. David Ballineau and Carolyn Ross #1)

Leonard Goldberg, bestselling master of medical suspense, plunges into the nightmare scenario of terrorism in the ER

After poisoning a state dinner in Los Angeles, Chechen terrorists have infiltrated a prestigious medical center and taken several world dignitaries hostage, including the President of the United States. Undetected by the terrorists, David Ballineau—emergency
Published May 8th 2012 by Midnight Ink Books (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Patient One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patient One

Mary Chrapliwy
Apr 28, 2012 Mary Chrapliwy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
So much more than just a medical mystery - also an excellent political thriller.

Leonard Goldberg weaves a tale that opens with an extravagant party in LA, full of distinguished guests who are ingesting a toxin without knowing it. He reveals that the distinguished guests are the President of the United States, the first family, a Russian President and his wife, and many other high ranking members of the government. Goldberg transports the reader to the hospital where the ill party guests are tak
Mike Cavosie
May 06, 2012 Mike Cavosie rated it did not like it
Might be a good beach read. But I was at home, and it sucked.
Sep 15, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Synopsis (from U.S. President John Merrill is hosting Russian President Dimitri Suslev at a glittering state dinner to celebrate a new economic pact. As the after-dinner toasts begin, the two leaders, their wives, and scores of prominent guests become violently ill. Merrill and Suslev, along with the other stricken guests, are rushed to the nearest hospital. As Secret Service agents struggle to secure the hospital and locate Merrill’s daughter, the President’s personal physician — who’s ...more
Jacob Peled
Aug 30, 2014 Jacob Peled rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 6-stars, _2014
If you like Medical suspense and on top of that the kind of what I call "white house" suspense book, you're bound to like this book. It's a mix between Robin Cook or Michael Palmer, with the like of Vince Flynn or Kyle Mills. The hero in the book is never described as a super hero. On the contrary, things just happen to him, even mistakes. The story take place within 6 hours, so you can imagine the high intensity the author had to put in. Bottom line, It's the kind of book, that can't make you s ...more
Andy Plonka
Jul 15, 2012 Andy Plonka rated it it was amazing
Although one has to accept that the main character a former Special Ops guy in the army is now a physican in a hospital in Los Angeles who just happens to be on call when the president of the US is brought in with acute food poisoning, this ia a well done medical thriller that has lots of medical info suitable for laymen, and a plausible terrorist plot that doesn't involve a tremendous amount of ploitics.
Mar 27, 2012 Regan rated it it was ok
This book started out so promising. I was 20% into it (on my Kindle) and could barely put it down and then it started to get a bit repetitious.

The blow by blow descriptions of medical issues and procedures, the in depth would be interesting but it was way too much. There was also a lot of omniscient point of view, pages of narrative with really long paragraphs. I didn't care very much for David, the hero.
May 02, 2014 Peg added it
Shelves: could-not-finish
This book is really not that bad and some may like it but I just didn't want to invest any more time in it when there are so many better books to read and so little time. The premise is good but it quickly becomes too farfetched for my taste. I hope I got it on Amazon's Daily Deal and didn't pay too much for it.
Joseph M. O'Connor

OK, I guess. No.... one-half step below OK. Too bad that the book lets the reader know all too well that the author is a physician and not a professional writer. Shame on his editor for not spotting some egregious errors of syntax. I'd say that the plot was 95% predictable. No surprises. I read it as a library e-book. I would not recommend that anyone actually BUY it.
Ben Pashkoff
A bit predictable, and a bit non-realistic (yeah, right Former Spec Ops Operative turned Ace ER doctor who still has no problem with "Kill or be killed") BTW, HOW did he ever contemplate the Hippocratic Oath???? And of course the perfect leading lady... Ace ER nurse who happened to take an almost admin position in the posh boutique ward.... Sorry, a little too much, and a little over done.
Feb 15, 2013 Jan rated it liked it
I'm a sucker for medical novels of all stripes, so what can I say? Writing a bit stilted, but -- OK. Too many coincidences, but -- hey, that's part of the fun, no? I will be looking for more books by this author if they are free for the Kindle.
Charles Robinson
May 25, 2016 Charles Robinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Very good thrill ride from this author. All the characters involved were well written and the plot was very fast paced. I also really liked how the author reminded all the readers that everything happened within six hours.
Jimmie H. Nehr
Jul 24, 2016 Jimmie H. Nehr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bravery in the Medical Arena

Exciting all the way.... excellent story and interesting characters. Kept me enthralled all the way. Never dull or slow moving. I want to read more of this writer's works.
Sep 27, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
This book kept me on the edge of my seat wanting to know what was going to happen next. Some of the descriptions of the shoot out bothered me because they were too detailed. This author is okay to read once in awhile, but I don't think he will ever make my "TOP 20" list of favorites.
Oct 08, 2013 Stewart rated it it was ok
Shelves: no-longer-own
Utterly ridiculous popcorn medical/terrorism thriller. Best thing I can say about it is the brisk pacing, as I read all 360 pages of it in a single day, mostly during a round-trip on the metro.
Mar 14, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
I don't read this type of book but I read the prologue and was hooked this book was so good cant wait to read another one of Leonard Goldberg books
Jun 21, 2012 Xanthina rated it really liked it
A very good read I found it difficult to put down and read it in approx 5 nights.Even though there were parts that were totally predictable ie handsome Dr and pretty nurse.
Dec 26, 2013 Arthur rated it it was amazing
This book was so GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The plot was extreme which I liked and this book was the best I've ever read in my life.
Apr 09, 2014 Gail rated it it was amazing
Started this book this morning and just finished it this evening!! Great book! Never read this author before, but can't wait to read more!! Suspenseful, edge of your seat book…..
Jun 22, 2013 Sallyla rated it liked it
The romance between the doctor and nurse was almost too cutesy, liked some of the action. Not sure if I will read this author again.
Elizabeth Linnell
Oct 26, 2012 Elizabeth Linnell rated it it was ok
Shelves: thrillers

An okay thriller but character development was a little weak. A bit of a let down at the end.
Colby Macleod
Colby Macleod rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Lee rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Bridgett rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Calwriter8966 rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Corinne rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Deb rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Elaine Mayes
Aug 01, 2012 Elaine Mayes rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
A fast read; good thriller.
Claire S
Claire S rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2014
Sandie Conry
Sandie Conry rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Carnival For The Dead (Nic Costa, #10)
  • Fool: A Novel
  • Unwritten Rules
  • Deadly Politics (A Molly Malone Mystery, #1)
  • Fires Of Autumn (American Heroes, #12)
  • Heaven Should Fall
  • Grave of Angels
  • The K Street Affair
  • Cut Loose (Dusty Deals Mystery #2)
  • Cherry Ames, Staff Nurse (Cherry Ames, #23)
  • Whiplash River: A Novel
  • No Peace for the Damned (Damned, #1)
  • Cherry Ames, Night Supervisor
  • Five, Six ... Grab your crucifix (Rebekka Franck, #3)
  • The Drought
  • Playing Doctor (Bandit Creek, #26)
  • The Search for South Pole Santa: A Christmas Adventure
Leonard Goldberg is an American physicist, professor of medicine, and the author of the Joanna Blalock series of medical thrillers.

His novels have been translated into a dozen languages and sold more than a million copies worldwide. Leonard Goldberg is himself a consulting physician affiliated with the UCLA Medical Center, where he holds an appointment as Clinical Professor of Medicine. A sought-a
More about Leonard Goldberg...

Dr. David Ballineau and Carolyn Ross (2 books)
  • Plague Ship (Dr. David Ballineau and Carolyn Ross #2)