Start by marking “Me comería un niño!” as Want to Read:
Me comería un niño!

Sylviane Donnio

Me comería un niño!

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  1,021 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
Chaque matin maman crocodile apporte à Achille de bonnes bananes pour son petit déjeuner, jusqu'au jour où celui-ci refuse de manger : il veut désormais un enfant pour son petit déjeuner ! Une histoire sur l'apprentissage de la frustration.
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Me comería un niño!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me comería un niño!

Julia
Dec 11, 2007 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks, 2007
finally someone had the courage to say what we've all been thinking.
Ellis
Sep 20, 2016 Ellis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
De boodschap van dit boek (dat een kleine krokodil een kindje wil eten) ontging M. compleet, maar het was wel een leuke conversatie-starter. Met duidelijke afbeeldingen, zoals de grote krokodillen (mama en papa) en de kleine (M? Of zus W?), bananen, worstjes, tanden etc. Niet voor bange kinderen!
E
Dec 13, 2010 E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
It's cute, witty and, by virtue of adeptly mixing those two elements, very clever.

Or it's crass, fear-inducing and inappropriate for children.

What's the answer? That parents shouldn't conservatively assume children can't handle dark humor, but also that parents shouldn't liberally assume all children of all ages can.

As with the brilliantly dark works of Jon Sczieska and Roald Dahl, I would not give this book to any child under the age of six. Depending upon the child, I might not give it to them
Tiffany
Jun 03, 2009 Tiffany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I saw this book recommended at the bookstore and then had to endure it during story time with my 3-year-old at the museum. It's bizarre and frightening - nightmarish stuff, really. What child wants to think about alligators who are plotting to gobble them up? I figured the end would be somehow redeeming, but no - at the end, the alligator plans to eat more bananas to grow big and strong "so I can eat a child." My 3-year-old kept giving me wide-eyed looks through the whole book - I wish I had jus ...more
Benji Martin
Feb 19, 2014 Benji Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that I liked when I read it silently to myself, but once I read it out loud to some students, I knew immediately that I love it, and that it's a book I'll be reading to kids for years to come.
Janni
أميرة هاني
Preachy
Brandi
Oct 12, 2012 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Achilles is a baby crocodile with a dream. Instead of the bananas his mom and dad feed him for breakfast, he would prefer a child. In an attempt to convince his parents to stop feeding him bananas, little Achilles refuses to eat. The tears and bribes of Mama and Papa Crocodile do not convince Achilles to give up his dream. When Achilles finally does come face-to-face with a child, it does not go quite as he planned.
Students will relate to not wanting to eat what their parents give them. Achill
Gregory Walters
Jul 07, 2011 Gregory Walters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a book's title is too perfect. When I discovered this book on a shelf in a toy store in Seattle, I knew it would make a most amusing addition to the collection I keep in the principal's office. (Runner up that day: Monsters Eat Whiny Children. Oh, how I'd love to meet the store's buyer!)

One clever young office visitor spotted the book and fought unsuccessfully to repress his grin. It was a command reading.

Achilles the crocodile is seemingly content to feast on bananas and the occasiona
Heidi-Marie
I'd heard this book was great and even picked it for my Food theme ST. Can't believe I waited until the day before to read it. But it is fabulous as so many said. Adorable pictures. Hilarious story. Best part for me was when he found a child. I hope I do it justice when I read it.

2/15/12 This went quite well in both storytimes. Loved the crocodile. Wide-eyed about him wanting to eat a child. Seemed the river part was their favorite, since the ending was just OK with them. Still--fabulous choice
Johanna Huang
Feb 12, 2016 Johanna Huang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Although it seems like a scary title for a children's picture book, if you pick it up and read it through - there is a good chance that you will like this book. It's one of the picture books that my kindergarten students would beg me to do another read-aloud. The children can easily relate to the story line which is really about how a little kid (in the book it's the baby crocodile) sometimes just get tired of their parents telling them what they should eat and what they shouldn't. I read it onc ...more
Maria Burel
Nov 01, 2012 Maria Burel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I’d Really Like to Eat a Child tells the story of a little Alligator, Achilles, who is tired of his daily fare of bananas and decides he has a hankering for a small child instead. Mama and Papa Alligator find this idea ludicrous, and try to dissuade him by offering sausage or a chocolate cake. No dice. The hungry Achilles finally wanders down to the river for a swim, and lo and behold…there sits a child. What happens next is a hilarious lesson in perspective. The story is clever, though make sur ...more
Maggie
"I'd Really Like to Eat a Child" is a cute story with funny illustrations. It left me with a smile on my face. It might not be great for younger readers who might end up fearing being eaten by alligators/crocodiles, but it's a perfect read for a slightly older audience that will appreciate the humor.
Alia
Mar 06, 2008 Alia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finicky eater Achilles is sick of bananas and thinks he's like to eat a child. But the little girl he wants to call dinner is much more clever than this little croc. Counting Crocodiles meets Gregory the Terrible Eater. Oh and the cutest picture book crocodile I've come across. Lyle ain't got nothing on Achilles.
Nancy
Jan 16, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book with an obvious "listen to your parents" message and a very very cute baby crocodile...but still slightly disturbing to me and because of that, I love this book!
Astri
What better way to get kids to eat their veggies than to tempt them with an ultimate goal: growing big enough to eat a human child.
I <3 this book.
Michael
Fun, simple art, with great facial expressions for the crocodiles. The story appears to take place somewhere in Africa and the main girl character is dark-skinned.
Heather
Oct 09, 2014 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Really cute, good for outreach.
Kathy
May 07, 2008 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laugh every time I read this book! The drawings of Achilles are adorable.
Miri
Oct 19, 2013 Miri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bizarre and adorable.
Sarah BT
Sep 23, 2012 Sarah BT rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious with an ending that you wouldn't expect.
Walter
Aug 07, 2008 Walter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Walter by: Valerie Lewis
Oh, what fun it is to read this book aloud to children!
Trinika Abraham
Dec 13, 2016 Trinika Abraham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you’re looking for a great picture book to share with children, you should checkout I’d Really Like to Eat a Child by Sylviane Donnio. This book is a must read for parents of picky eaters.
Achilles is a young crocodile with his mind set on one thing, eating a child. The unfortunate reality is that Achilles just isn’t big enough for the meal of his choice. Despite his growing hunger and pitiful size, Achilles refuses to eat his daily portion of bananas, he refuses to eat a truck sized sausage,
Pug Cake
Feb 03, 2017 Pug Cake rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yet another disappointing children's book. The little alligator never did get to maul a child (which I was rooting for!), but I am thankful that he and the child didn't "overcome the obstacles" and "become friends."
Maria Waltner
Cute. Alligators eating bananas...
Megan (ReadingRover)
Darkly, funny with really adorable illustrations.
Jan 23, 2017 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious!
Shel
Jun 26, 2012 Shel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Donnio, S. (2007). I'd Really Like to Eat a Child. New York: Random House.

Let me repeat. The title of this book is "I'd Really Like to Eat a Child." That alone made me want to read it.

I wasn't disappointed.

Appetizer: Achilles, a baby crocodile, is tired of eating bananas for breakfast. He doesn't even want sausage. So, he refuses to eat until he gets what he really wants and he would really like to eat a child. And when he sees a girl on the river's edge, all by herself, he tries t
An Abundance of Books
Featured at An Abundance of Books

Young Achilles wakes up one day and decides that he would really like to eat a child. His mother only has bananas for him and points out that "children don't grow on banana trees". Achilles refuses the bananas in hopes for a child for breakfast. Later on his father brings him a giant sausage. Achilles refuses this meal also, even though his father tells him that "there's no such thing as a sausage made from children".

His parents decide to appeal to their son's sw
YoSafBridg
May 24, 2008 YoSafBridg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-and-read

Now here’s a lovely sentiment: I’d Really Like to Eat a Child by Sylvianne Donnio • Illustrated by Dorothée de Monfreid (don't you ever just get to feeling that way [like when the little darlings are running about the library making lots of loud, annoying kiddie-type noises crashing into other patrons and library displays and such; and their parents are wandering about {or surfing the internet} blithely ignoring their responsibilities~makes a librarian want to rampage...]?). Achilles is a baby c
  • Monsters Eat Whiny Children
  • That's Good! That's Bad!
  • Ugly Fish
  • Shark In The Park
  • Brief Thief
  • Edwina, The Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct
  • Punk Farm
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Grumpy Bird