Start by marking “The Oxford History of the Roman World” as Want to Read:
The Oxford History of the Roman World

The Oxford History of the Roman World

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In less than fifty-three years, Rome subjected most of the known world to its rule. This authoritative and compelling work tells the story of the rise of Rome from its origins as a cluster of villages to the foundation of the Roman Empire by Augustus, to its consolidation in the first two centuries CE. It also discusses aspects of the later Empire and its influence on West ...more
Published November 1st 2001 by Oxford Paperbacks (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Oxford History of the Roman World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oxford History of the Roman World

Lane Wilkinson
Did you know that Rome conquered the known world in only 53 years? And that it took barely over five decades to expand its borders across the Mediterranean? And that in half a century, Rome became the largest empire in the world? And that in less than 60 summers, Rome expand great power military conquer wharrgarbl...

Oh yeah, another neat only took 53 pages to realize that this book is just a half-assed, disjointed rehashing of Polybius.

Seriously, though, for an Oxford history of Rome,
I did it-- read this book in one week, while taking 15 pages of notes on my own! It was assigned for a class I'm taking this fall that has a very heavy workload, so I thought I'd pre-read this. Honestly, I can't recommend it. It reads like an encyclopedia, which is dizzying even if you only read a few pages at a time. The moment I finished it and moved toward Gian Biagio Conte's "Latin Literature" book (which is even MORE of an encyclopedia in form, though not in style), I realized that Conte wa ...more
Ken Moten
May 05, 2015 Ken Moten rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who want to learn about Classical Rome.
This book is a great introduction to Ancient Rome in a series of essays written by experts on antiquity. This book was very impressive in subject matter and I found the timeline at the end very helpful. Though I wish there were more content on the last years of the Empire, it was still a strong book overall. I would recommend that book be read by people who DO NOT know much about Ancient Rome, or else this might be slightly boring or redundant.
This is a primer that touches on many topics in a rather cursory manner. There are roles and places for primers, so that cannot be a criticism. Like many books with multiple authors, though, this book suffers from being uneven. Each of its seventeen chapters is written by a different author, and the book as a whole may be more a reflection of their individual interests than a unified attempt to cover the primary topic.

The historical material is, logically, arranged chronologically, but it is cur
Birgitta Hoffmann
Somebody once described this book as a primer and that is what it does well: offering a first stop summary on the Roman World, not just Roman history, but Roman art and literature as well. Being a compilation of different authors, not all parts are of the same depth or quality, but as a whole it works and it is very popular with my adult education students. However, being nearly 30 years old, the bibliographies need updating and some sections are beginning to show their age.
Solid enough introduction to the Roman world, tracing its history from its origins as a cluster of villages to the foundation of the Empire and its growth in the first two centuries. I used it as a primer during my course on the Roman Empire, and though rather uninspiring, it does lay out the basic facts which one needs to grasp.
Not the most recent publication but the quality of the research has stood the test of time. Still on many university reading lists.
I haven't really finished this book. I think it's more of a reference book, not something to read from cover to cover.
An excellent series of essays on the Roman world written in engaging and often amusing styles. Very helpful.
Zeer heterogeen en minder volledig dan de editie over Griekenland
William marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
J. Brian O'Day
J. Brian O'Day marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Jurrifax marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Bradley marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Jacob Lovatt
Jacob Lovatt marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Kit marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Orange marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Dinushi is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2015
Marina Lando
Marina Lando marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Nina marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Leonard marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Joey marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Nat added it
Jul 10, 2015
MegHan marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Dan marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • As the Romans Did: A Sourcebook in Roman Social History
  • The World of Late Antiquity 150-750 (Library of World Civilization)
  • The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of Prehistoric Europe
  • Under Another Sky: Journeys in Roman Britain
  • In the Name of Rome: The Men Who Won the Roman Empire
  • The Birth of Classical Europe: A History from Troy to Augustine
  • The Classical World: An Epic History from Homer to Hadrian
  • The Archaeology of Death and Burial (Texas A&M University Anthropology, 3)
  • A Brief History of Ancient Greece: Politics, Society and Culture
  • Thucydides: The Reinvention of History
  • The Fires of Vesuvius: Pompeii Lost and Found
  • The Roman Way
  • Greek Religion
The Oxford History of the Classical World The Oxford History of Greece and the Hellenistic World Greek Art Athenian Black Figure Vases Greek Sculpture: The Classical Period: A Handbook