Start by marking “Rogue (Exceptional, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rogue (Exceptional, #2)

Rogue (Exceptional #2)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,897 ratings  ·  98 reviews
Ally is finally outside the City walls, with her brother and her best friends.

Luke is still inside the City walls, with no memory of the girl he once loved.

Life in the Wilderness is dangerous, and they soon find out that they are not alone. Will Ally continue her journey to the Southern City, or will she risk it all to help the boy she loves?
Kindle Edition
Published March 18th 2013 (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Rogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rogue

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
284th out of 759 books — 8,447 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Apocalyptic or Post-Apocalyptic YA Fiction
97th out of 218 books — 647 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbara Garren
First, please see my review of the first book in the series, Exceptionals.

This book does seem to flow a bit better. The dialogue is a little more contemporary and fluid. The editing is a smidge improved. I still greatly enjoyed the premise and the characters - but I still desperately want a good editor before the third book is released.

Yes, I'll be reading the third book. And I hope the author keeps writing. She has talent. She has ability. She needs to keep working on 'craft.' On showing not t
Kageashi
The follow-up to "Exceptional", describing the changes in Ally's life after escaping the city as well as the changes for Luke. With both aware of the imminent Rogue threat, they both are following their own paths to coping with the threat. However, Ally doesn't know that Luke won't be coming after her - that he's been forced to forget everything about her.

Compared to Exceptional, this book is both stronger in storytelling and yet worse in falling into set tropes and cliches. A strong beginning i
Joshua Miller
As previously stated I was a huge fan of the first book in the “Exceptional” series and Rouge by Jess Petosa lived up to that same level of joy. Ok lets cover the back story again and to save time I am just going to pull from my last review. The US has collapsed after creating a super virus that took out seventy five percent of human civilization. The few humans that remain are split between those whose bodies accepted the virus and gained super human powers and those that survived from being im ...more
Jilly
RaeWho
I was sort of skeptical about reading this, since the first was so poorly edited. I'm glad I did though, because it was definitely an improvement. Jess Petosa could still use the help of a professional editor to help smooth out certain phrases and transitions, but it was definitely a more enjoyable read. I thought the plot of this book was more interesting than the previous, although it was still a bit predictable at times. I think Jess's strength is in writing endings, because both books had ve ...more
Sara Freitag
I liked it. I liked the new characters and it kept me interested. I like hoe they brought in the Rogues and they were not too over the top. can't wait for the 3rd book.
Tyler
I have to say I genuinely enjoyed this book as have I enjoyed the series so far. There was a smooth transition from the book 1 to book 2. However I have to agree with another review I read in that the last few chapters seemed rushed. There was a lot of build up then the end seemed lacking. I was happy to see Ally and Luke continue with the relationship but disappointed with where it went...although it’s understandable. The thing that got me uncomfortable and could possibly prevent me from readin ...more
Lori
Loved the second Book "Rouge" from Jess Petosa. As far as dystopian young adult romances I thought this one was a lot smarter. The main character Ally has to be one of my favorite. Loved the twists and turns the story took as I followed her adventure. I would be happy to walk away from this series and be happy imagining my own happily ever after, even though it's obvious the story is not finished. So just to confirm it I went in search of information about a third book and according to the autho ...more
Heather
Rogue is the action packed sequel to Jess Petosa's Exceptional. The books need to be read in order as this story builds upon the previous story.

In Rogue, Ally has escaped the city. She must find the Southern City to help stop the rogue invasion. Traveling with her is her twin brother Stash, and a small group of ordinaries. The journey through the wilderness is treacherous and the group fears encountering both exceptional guards and rogues which may hide in the woods. Ally is the only exceptional
Spuffed
****************Review based on Second Reading******************

While rereading the first book, I dropped my rating from 4 to 3 stars due to too many plot holes, characterization issues, and some juvenile writing. This book is so much better than the first and most of the problems seem to have disappeared.

Quick Rundown: Chick is on the run to the Southern City when she comes across an Ordinary (Max) who shows her to a very large Wilderness Community/Town. Dude is back in the city with his memor
Lindsay Gimblet
As the blurb states, this story picks up where the first book left off. Ally, Stosh, and their friends are traveling through the wilderness to escape the Guards while trying to locate other settlements. On the way, they do encounter some Guards, which Ally has to kill. They come across a settlement, which is more like a town, called Champaign. Champaign has at least a couple thousand residents, and they have electricity, running water, etc. Heath, the town’s leader, has allies that are Guards.

En
April
Hailie
Wow…okay so I loved the first book of this series but I have to say this one definitely surpassed my expectations…and is probably my favorite of the two. I never expect the second book of a series to be as captivating or exhilarating as the first. I never expect to get my fill of old characters, while having new characters introduced and developed, but somehow Rogue managed to do both.
This book definitely throws you some curve balls…some are predictable but it balances out to make a face paced,
Jaime Lee
The second installment of the Exceptional series explodes. It's nonstop action from the very beginning! We pick up only a few weeks from where book one left off and the gaps in the time jump are filled in nicely as the story progresses. Ally has unofficially taken on the role as leader of the group and her uncertainties are well portrayed.

The story is told from jumping perspectives of Ally in the Wilderness and Luke, left behind in the City. Then, we also meet a cast of newcomers that round out
Lauren
Loved this series! I don't really know what to compare it to... But it was good. Kind of a class on its own. I was expecting a more futuristic approach but it wasn't like that. The characters were relatable and the plot wasn't totally predictable which is something that drives me crazy! So I really enjoyed this series and I would recommend it to someone looking for a different read about rebuilding the world and following your dreams and pushing for what you believe in!
Shayna Sumner
Interesting plot with twists and new characters

This is good and bad. Things in the story made me disappointed, but the end once again was the best part. don't want to say much else without spoilers. still glad I borrowed this one rather than buying it, like the first book. looking forward to reading the third, Ordinary, which on het last blog post she said would be out May 1st. Which was a week ago. And still nothing. :/
Sandy Coker
Exceptional

Exceptional

I am loving this series. The storyline is original and incomparable. I didn't get bored due to repetitive phrases (YAY!). I couldn't predict what was going to happen next. I have to say; I found this series so far and an all around awesome read!
Come on book 3!
P.S. Props to the editor! I didn't notice that many mistakes. One thing though; this is how you spell soldier not solider.
Nicole Lopez
Some spoilers.. I really liked this book. In the first book I did not like that she turned into an Exceptional -- it seemed predictable. But with the events of this book, I can see the bigger picture and how it fits into the storyline. When Matt first came into the picture, I thought, oh here we go, here's another Twilight love story with 2 guys fighting over the girl but of course she likes the more powerful one. I thought the second Luke "remembers", Ally would just melt into his arms and forg ...more
Cindee
This book left me a bit conflicted, Max or Luke? Now that I think about it, its kinda like Twilight in, who should Bella choose, the vampire or the wolf, was always disappointed she chose Edward. Anyway, that's another book review..... and I kinda like Max. ahem....anyway, the book seemed a bit longer, I didn't devour it as fast as I did the first book. However, it still tied things together, the books flowed together. like I said there were moments in the book where I was like"eh" but for the m ...more
Meaghan
I really enjoyed the second book in this series! In the beginning, I wasn't sure I would like it as much as Exceptional but the second half was amazing! A lot was explained and I think it was a great second installment to the trilogy. However, here I go again, reading a book a day after it comes out only to have a year to wait for the conclusion. One day I will learn...

(view spoiler)
Rob Lammert
I really liked the concept of this book series. The characters were very developed and the story was a grabber for me as I am a dystopian junkie. That's where my praise for this book ends.

I was truly loving going through the chapters and seeing where things would go. This book is in SERIOUS need of an editor that can spell and actually proof read. For some reason, the editor thought that the words "no" and "know" could be used interchangably.

The biggest rub for this book was the ending. It truly
Izzy
I really liked the first book in the series and the second book did not disappoint it was amazing as well (although I think I like the first book better). Ally has changed in more ways then one, and faces new obstacles as she heads out with her friends in the wild. I really disliked that Luke lost his memory (after I read this though that problem was resolved). Luke also has changed but I am not sure if it is for the better. I can't wait to read the third book.
Kaylee
AMAZING

AMAZING

Great follow up to the first book, Exceptional!!!! Amazing series so far, and I'm sure the third book will be just as suspenseful, and action-packed like the first two!
Kellie
I feel like out of the two books out right now, the second book was better and more though out and put together than the first. I really liked this one. I will definitely be reading the third book as soon as it's out.
Kimmerie
Better than the first, but still in need of a lot of tightening and editing. The story and world are good, but the writing doesn't do them justice. In a few years, with more practice and a good editor, this author could have something.
Carolynnfrank Mcmillan
Does not disappoint!

Can't wait to read part three! Although I do like exceptional Ally better than ordinary Ally! But I choose Luke! Hope she does!
amanda evans
Loved it as much as the first.

This book kept me reading and I finished it in less than a day. I would highly recommend this series.
Rebecca
I wish the editing was better in this but I still enjoyed it. I really like the characters and the plot line is intriguing. I look forward to the next one.
Emmie Grace
I actually liked this book more than the first! It has a lot more character depth to it! I actually can't decide who Ally should be with, Max, or Luke. Max is a lot more adventury and outdoorsy, but he is a bit stubborn and I think a bit possessive. Luke is sweet and kind, but in this book when he forgot about Ally I got suspicious that maybe that's what he really is like, but then Ally changed him for the better. Okay! I think she should be with Luke, but I wouldn't be too upset if she ended up ...more
Tyler miller
Great book

awesome read. the end had a great twist. left me excited for the third book. can't wait! Jess Petosa please hurry ;)
Apocalypse Whenever: Rogue [Book #2 in the Exceptional series] 1 16 Jun 04, 2013 02:22PM
What did you think? 1 6 Apr 01, 2013 08:15PM
Untitled (Exceptional #2) 13 27 Apr 01, 2013 08:15PM
  • Reborn (Born, #3)
  • Weavers (The Frost Chronicles, #3)
  • The Care and Feeding of Griffins (Lords of Arcadia, #1)
  • Operation Hydra (Ontarian Chronicles, # 2)
  • Denounced (Exalted, #2)
  • Resurrection (Apocalypse Chronicles, #2)
  • The Star Dwellers (The Dwellers, #2)
  • The Defiance (Brilliant Darkness, #2)
  • Reawakening (Forever Dead, #1)
  • Arbitrate (Daynight, #2)
  • Infraction (The Burn, #2)
  • Eden (Eden, #1)
  • Finding Jess (First Wave, #2)
  • Angel (Pieces #1.5)
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • The Human (The Eden Trilogy, #2)

I was born in Philly but married into the wonderful, sometimes boring, state of Indiana. Here we enjoy Amish food -mainly the pie-, Notre Dame football, and tractor pulls. I was born June 12th, 1986... you do the math.

Personal Information
I live in a cozy neighborhood with large backyards and lots of extremely excitable children. Forget traffic sounds at night, I get to hear the delighted screams
More about Jess Petosa...

Exceptional (3 books)
  • Exceptional (Exceptional, #1)
  • Ordinary (Exceptional, #3)
Exceptional (Exceptional, #1) Ordinary (Exceptional, #3) Forget Me