Start by marking “down to earth” as Want to Read:
down to earth

down to earth

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  198 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
I was pulled into simple living before I knew what it was. It crept up on me using the smallest of steps and didn't reveal its true beauty and real power until I was totally hooked. I was searching for a way to live well while spending very little money. What I found was a way of life that also gave me independence, opportunity and freedom.

Rhonda Hetzel gently encourages
Published February 22nd 2012 by Penguin Aus.

To ask other readers questions about down to earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about down to earth

down to earth by Rhonda HetzelThe Simple Living Guide by Janet LuhrsThe Complete Tightwad  Gazette by Amy DacyczynYour Money or Your Life by Vicki RobinWalden by Henry David Thoreau
Voluntary Simplicity
1st out of 8 books — 8 voters
Eggs by Jerry SpinelliFamily and Other Accidents by Shari GoldhagenScrambled Eggs at Midnight by Brad BarkleyBest Food Writing 2013 by Holly HughesThumped by Megan McCafferty
Eggs on the Cover
41st out of 42 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Aleta
Sep 19, 2012 Aleta rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you find yourself thinking a whole lot of things that aren't quite what everyone else is thinking. You start to envision that life could be different, and you realise your values conflict with some of our current social norms. When I picked up Rhonda's book I was astonished to find that here was someone else who not only thought the same way, she'd done something about it!

Since reading Down to Earth, I have discovered that lots of people know our old 'consume or die' way of living just
Cass
Mar 22, 2012 Cass rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All my friends and family... It is very inspiring.
Still busy reading "Down to Earth" the book written by Rhonda Hetzel who I kind of know through her online down-to-earth forum. I really only bought the book to be nice to the person running the forum. I was expecting a self-published unimpressive book. I was not expecting it to impress me as much as it has. I have been well and truelly surprised. This book is going to be recommended to all my friends, and probably a good half of them will get it as a xmas present.

It is the type of book that loo
Nadia Mcdonagh
May 31, 2012 Nadia Mcdonagh rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a present from my mother who is very much on the road to living simply. It just wasn't my thing really - that is until I sat down in front of the tv to flick through my birthday book.
Firstly, it's beautiful. The layout, the pictures, the quality of the paper, everything about it has such a warm and welcome feeling about it, not in the least the voice of the author.
Rhonda manages to present her ideas in such a way as to give options ranging for those who are full time st
Kat
Nov 21, 2012 Kat rated it it was amazing
Having bought this book out of sheer desperation during a rare unsuccessful visit to my favourite bookshop, I honestly didn't expect a great deal. I was, therefore, blindsided by just how great it really is.

Rhonda's courageous treatment of the simple living ethos, her willingness to put words to a whole swathe of wishy-washy, new-agey notions, and her gentle spirit, make this a true gem in my bookshelf. I enjoyed the journey the book gave me - from the introduction and the discussion of simple
Courtney
Jul 11, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it
I read this cover to cover! It had some great ideas, philosophies and tips for simple, frugal living. The photographs were beautiful and homely. My partner and I have both really benefited from what Rhonda had to say, we've learned a lot and feel comforted by the fact that there are many others out there with goals and values in line with ours.
The book, blog and website recommendations at the end were really helpful too, we'll definitely be checking those out.
Overall, this book is now a gorgeou
Cindy
Dec 03, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it
Rhonda has a real passion for simple living - evidenced by her blog and this book. It is a wonderful guide to those starting the journey to simple living from scratch and it will be a book that I refer to often for the hints and tips that pop out of each chapter. I particular found the resource guide at the back of the book helpful, the layout, graphics and photography make it a lovely book to flick through as well.
Claire
Dec 05, 2012 Claire rated it it was amazing
Words cannot describe how much I loved this book - I am constantly going back to it to use the recipes and just for inspiration. It's gorgeous.
Evelyn
Feb 25, 2014 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
This book is inspirational for anyone wanting to live more simply. I had knowledge of Rhonda via her helpful blog of the same name.

Rhonda Hetzel's practical advice and discussions about self-sufficiency came along at the same time as our family established a backyard food forest. Many of her practical insights were very helpful. There is much to learn about using more natural products for cleaning, simple and basic recipes including bread.

This book offers an alternative to the prevalent consumer
Palawa
May 04, 2012 Palawa rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book with so many simple yet priceless pearls of wisdom. I am going to give it to my teenage children to read because I could have done with knowledge of budgeting, saving and living simply when I was young. There is something to learn for everyone at all different stages of life with really positive ways to embrace change for the sake of your own health and happiness. Rhonda speaks to you, but doesn't preach...any changes are yours to own. I can't praise Down to Earth too hig ...more
GeekGirl_7
Mar 28, 2016 GeekGirl_7 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: simplicity
This book is a really good resource for anyone who is interested in embracing a simpler life. With recipes for home made soap & cleaning products, tips on growing veggies & composting, budgeting advice & home style cooking, this book has it all. Woven through the book are Rhonda's personal reflections on her journey to simplicity. This highlights that while simplicity will look different for each person, that if you truly want it, the Simple Life is within reach of us all.
Megan
Jun 23, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
I got this book as a birthday present from friends and read it in just 2 days. I'm still rereading parts of it now. It's great to find a book that can help guide me towards the life I've always wanted to live in such an easy to understand and easy to follow way!

For as long as I can remember I've felt like I needed to slow down and live a much simpler life, but studying and then joining the workforce I was always too busy and it never happened. Last year I was diagnosed with several chronic condi
Helen
Aug 29, 2012 Helen rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
A comforting book, like sitting down with Grandma for a chat about the old days. I can do a lot of the things mentioned in this book, and I don't feel like it's an all or nothing dilemma. I made laundry liquid and it works really well! Lots of really useful ways to live more simply and concentrate on the things that matter.
Bigdaz
May 13, 2013 Bigdaz rated it really liked it
This book will get you thinking why we waste so much time chasing the dollar only to give it away to everyone else. Yes growing things and making things at home does take more time. However is it really work when you are spending that time at home with the ones you love?
Mzan
Jan 21, 2014 Mzan rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that you will keep out on the table long after you've read it. The author manages to inspire with her personalreasons to simplify life in the first chapters and continues further on by tackling several key subjects/areas in and around the house with practical tips, tricks, recipes and references.

This book offers a great introduction towards a sustainable, self-sufficient household in a way that is applicable in modern day society without any need for radical lifestyle
Nov 20, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I just kept thinking, "Yes, this woman speaks my language." It's filled with practical ideas and suggestions for how to implement them. A great starter guide to living simply.
Tonia Turko
Oct 06, 2013 Tonia Turko rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I picked up a copy in my local library. I want to buy myself a copy, I enjoyed it so much....
Raelene
Feb 08, 2016 Raelene rated it it was amazing
I love this blog. The book is just as brilliant. Very inspiring and some sobering truths to contemplate.
Lynda Sharples
Jun 30, 2014 Lynda Sharples rated it it was amazing
I discovered Rhondas book after retiring and moving to Macleay Island so I could care for my husband of 37 years. It has become my go-to book for daily living .Such a simple philosophy will literally change your life ...forever...

It is well set out ,easy to follow and in my house becoming tattered and well read :)
I write notes in the columns and paste recipes in an envelope the back and I hope when I pass, my daughter will treasure this beautiful transcript of the journey I am now on.
A must on y
Marg
Sep 01, 2012 Marg rated it really liked it
Read in the context of the value of Franciscan simplicity, this book has a lot to offer
Fran Cosgrove
Just reading this book makes me feel nurtured, scrubbed, wholesome and nourished! I want to make the soap, the laundry liquid and quite a few of the recipes but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I'm inspired by Rhonda's gentle approach to living, not wanting or taking more than she needs to live well, and in a healthy way, from the earth. She is inspiring in her desire to share her simple wisdom with others.
Leshia Roberts Chandler
Apr 15, 2014 Leshia Roberts Chandler rated it it was amazing
As a sahm, this book helped me and my family as we adjusted to a more simplistic lifestyle. Rhonda includes recipes and information that can prepare anyone at any age to live a more simplified life! Highly recommended. I still use it daily
Rebecca
Feb 29, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
An excellently informative book for anyone who wants to move from the current mass consumerist lifestyle to living a simpler existence.
Emily
Apr 15, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite bloggers wrote a book - and it finally came out in a format I could afford! All about simple living.
Kim Southwell
Jun 24, 2016 Kim Southwell rated it really liked it
A beautiful book that reinforced a lot of my thinking. I appreciated the recipes for green cleaners and enjoyed the author's comfortable way of writing. I like her attitude that makes the everyday things and activities more noble.
Wendyjune
Nov 16, 2014 Wendyjune rated it it was amazing
Amazing, life changing. Really great reference tool too.
Rebecca
Jan 28, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-read, 2015-read
I love everything about this book and was due for a re-read to help remind me of my goals and choices for the coming year. This book entirely resonates with me and my values, and reading it is always like the soothing of a warm cup of tea under a snuggly rug.
Amanda
Nov 27, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
Well written and inspirational guide to simple living. Excellent resource. A book to buy and keep on the shelf!
Felicity
Have you ever READ a coffee table book? Most of us don't, I know I never used to, but I've recently discovered what excellent reading they are! This author is a retired journalist who lives on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. She writes beautifully about slowing down the pace and eliminating the self imposed stress of life. If you want to read how to make things simpler, more healthy and you yourself more self sufficient, have a look at this one, I loved it
Katie
Aug 26, 2014 Katie rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book: equal parts encouraging, inspiring and helpful. The copy I read was from my library, so I need to get my hands on one of my own.
Kymberly Fergusson
Mar 22, 2015 Kymberly Fergusson rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Like a conversation with a caring grandmother, with lots of suggestions on how to simplify your life and live frugally. Occasionally overbearing and very much focussed on home owners with land - but much still useful to renters or those who live in city apartments.
  • Living The Good Life: How One Family Changed Their World From Their Own Backyard
  • Edible Schoolyard
  • The Solar House: Passive Solar Heating and Cooling
  • Stephanie Alexander's Kitchen Garden Companion
  • Come to the Table: Slow Food Way of Living
  • Living with Chickens: Everything You Need to Know to Raise Your Own Backyard Flock
  • Little House on a Small Planet: Simple Homes, Cozy Retreats, and Energy Efficient Possibilities
  • The Carbon-Free Home: 36 Remodeling Projects to Help Kick the Fossil-Fuel Habit
  • Little House Living: The Make-Your-Own Guide to a Frugal, Simple, and Self-Sufficient Life
  • The Earth-sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book: How to Build an Energy Free Year-round Greenhouse
  • The Earth Care Manual: A Permaculture Handbook for Britain and Other Temperate Climates
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • The Global Forest
  • The New Create an Oasis with Greywater: Choosing, Building, and Using Greywater Systems, Includes Branched Drains
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • My Heart Wanders: A Celebration of Taking Risks, Letting Go and Making a Home Wherever You Are
  • The Gentle Art Of Domesticity
  • The Profitable Hobby Farm, How to Build a Sustainable Local Foods Business

“Simple living is about being authentic and living an examined life and if you’ve thought about the values you want to live by, be confident and stick with them no matter what others around you are doing.” 1 likes
“Simple living is a series of small personal changes and adjustments to our lives; it’s also about living generously and helping our family, friends and neighbours.” 0 likes