down to earth

down to earth

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  30 reviews
'I was pulled into simple living before I knew what it was. It crept up on me using the smallest of steps and didn't reveal its true beauty and real power until I was totally hooked. I was searching for a way to live well while spending very little money. What I found was a way of life that also gave me independence, opportunity and freedom.'

Rhonda Hetzel gently encourages...more
Published February 22nd 2012 by Penguin Aus.

down to earth by Rhonda HetzelThe Simple Living Guide by Janet LuhrsWalden by Henry David ThoreauThe Complete Tightwad  Gazette by Amy DacyczynYour Money or Your Life by Joe Dominguez
Voluntary Simplicity
1st out of 8 books — 5 voters
Pest Control for Organic Gardening by Amber RichardsBringing it to the Table by Wendell BerryAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverGaining Ground by Forrest PritchardThe Self-Sufficient Gardener by John Seymour
Southern Gables Sustainable Books List
23rd out of 137 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Aleta
Sometimes you find yourself thinking a whole lot of things that aren't quite what everyone else is thinking. You start to envision that life could be different, and you realise your values conflict with some of our current social norms. When I picked up Rhonda's book I was astonished to find that here was someone else who not only thought the same way, she'd done something about it!

Since reading Down to Earth, I have discovered that lots of people know our old 'consume or die' way of living just...more
Cass
Mar 22, 2012 Cass rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All my friends and family... It is very inspiring.
Still busy reading "Down to Earth" the book written by Rhonda Hetzel who I kind of know through her online down-to-earth forum. I really only bought the book to be nice to the person running the forum. I was expecting a self-published unimpressive book. I was not expecting it to impress me as much as it has. I have been well and truelly surprised. This book is going to be recommended to all my friends, and probably a good half of them will get it as a xmas present.

It is the type of book that loo...more
Nadia Mcdonagh
I received this book as a present from my mother who is very much on the road to living simply. It just wasn't my thing really - that is until I sat down in front of the tv to flick through my birthday book.
Firstly, it's beautiful. The layout, the pictures, the quality of the paper, everything about it has such a warm and welcome feeling about it, not in the least the voice of the author.
Rhonda manages to present her ideas in such a way as to give options ranging for those who are full time st...more
Kat
Having bought this book out of sheer desperation during a rare unsuccessful visit to my favourite bookshop, I honestly didn't expect a great deal. I was, therefore, blindsided by just how great it really is.

Rhonda's courageous treatment of the simple living ethos, her willingness to put words to a whole swathe of wishy-washy, new-agey notions, and her gentle spirit, make this a true gem in my bookshelf. I enjoyed the journey the book gave me - from the introduction and the discussion of simple...more
Courtney
I read this cover to cover! It had some great ideas, philosophies and tips for simple, frugal living. The photographs were beautiful and homely. My partner and I have both really benefited from what Rhonda had to say, we've learned a lot and feel comforted by the fact that there are many others out there with goals and values in line with ours.
The book, blog and website recommendations at the end were really helpful too, we'll definitely be checking those out.
Overall, this book is now a gorgeou...more
Cindy
Rhonda has a real passion for simple living - evidenced by her blog and this book. It is a wonderful guide to those starting the journey to simple living from scratch and it will be a book that I refer to often for the hints and tips that pop out of each chapter. I particular found the resource guide at the back of the book helpful, the layout, graphics and photography make it a lovely book to flick through as well.
Claire
Words cannot describe how much I loved this book - I am constantly going back to it to use the recipes and just for inspiration. It's gorgeous.
Evelyn
This book is inspirational for anyone wanting to live more simply. I had knowledge of Rhonda via her helpful blog of the same name.

Rhonda Hetzel's practical advice and discussions about self-sufficiency came along at the same time as our family established a backyard food forest. Many of her practical insights were very helpful. There is much to learn about using more natural products for cleaning, simple and basic recipes including bread.

This book offers an alternative to the prevalent consumer...more
Palawa
This is a fabulous book with so many simple yet priceless pearls of wisdom. I am going to give it to my teenage children to read because I could have done with knowledge of budgeting, saving and living simply when I was young. There is something to learn for everyone at all different stages of life with really positive ways to embrace change for the sake of your own health and happiness. Rhonda speaks to you, but doesn't preach...any changes are yours to own. I can't praise Down to Earth too hig...more
Megan
I got this book as a birthday present from friends and read it in just 2 days. I'm still rereading parts of it now. It's great to find a book that can help guide me towards the life I've always wanted to live in such an easy to understand and easy to follow way!

For as long as I can remember I've felt like I needed to slow down and live a much simpler life, but studying and then joining the workforce I was always too busy and it never happened. Last year I was diagnosed with several chronic condi...more
Helen
A comforting book, like sitting down with Grandma for a chat about the old days. I can do a lot of the things mentioned in this book, and I don't feel like it's an all or nothing dilemma. I made laundry liquid and it works really well! Lots of really useful ways to live more simply and concentrate on the things that matter.
Bigdaz
This book will get you thinking why we waste so much time chasing the dollar only to give it away to everyone else. Yes growing things and making things at home does take more time. However is it really work when you are spending that time at home with the ones you love?
Mzan
This is one of those books that you will keep out on the table long after you've read it. The author manages to inspire with her personalreasons to simplify life in the first chapters and continues further on by tackling several key subjects/areas in and around the house with practical tips, tricks, recipes and references.

This book offers a great introduction towards a sustainable, self-sufficient household in a way that is applicable in modern day society without any need for radical lifestyle...more
I really enjoyed this book. I just kept thinking, "Yes, this woman speaks my language." It's filled with practical ideas and suggestions for how to implement them. A great starter guide to living simply.
Tonia Turko
Loved this book. I picked up a copy in my local library. I want to buy myself a copy, I enjoyed it so much....
Lynda Sharples
I discovered Rhondas book after retiring and moving to Macleay Island so I could care for my husband of 37 years. It has become my go-to book for daily living .Such a simple philosophy will literally change your life ...forever...

It is well set out ,easy to follow and in my house becoming tattered and well read :)
I write notes in the columns and paste recipes in an envelope the back and I hope when I pass, my daughter will treasure this beautiful transcript of the journey I am now on.
A must on y...more
Marg
Read in the context of the value of Franciscan simplicity, this book has a lot to offer
Leshia Roberts chandler
As a sahm, this book helped me and my family as we adjusted to a more simplistic lifestyle. Rhonda includes recipes and information that can prepare anyone at any age to live a more simplified life! Highly recommended. I still use it daily
Emily
One of my favorite bloggers wrote a book - and it finally came out in a format I could afford! All about simple living.
Felicity
Have you ever READ a coffee table book? Most of us don't, I know I never used to, but I've recently discovered what excellent reading they are! This author is a retired journalist who lives on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. She writes beautifully about slowing down the pace and eliminating the self imposed stress of life. If you want to read how to make things simpler, more healthy and you yourself more self sufficient, have a look at this one, I loved it
Danielle Andrews
Very inspiring and practical. The perfect guide for getting back to basics.
Karen
Would be an excellent book for those who are new to the subject. I had thought it was going to have more of the author's "story" but the emphasis is on her guidelines for living a simple life.
Deyara
Really good guide to making living simply work. Style is a little overbearing in a couple of places but overall it is really positive and uplifting.
Antwanene
Loved it, great book for simple living, recipes, gardening, household hints, natural cleaners, gorgeous illustrations. Want to buy a copy now .
Alison
Full of good ideas to get back to a cheaper way of living. Now just to find the time to do it and implement some of her ideas and suggestions.
Jaq
I loved this book, practical and useful. Full of hints on how to slow your life down and appreciate a deeper and enriched life.
K.woodlock
Very inspiring book. Loved it. Would like to read more like it, if anyone has recommendations please share.
Chanel J
Excellent little book with lots of excellent little house-cleaning and maintenance recipes.
therese
Lovely book about living closer to the earth and taking pleasure in the art of the everyday.
Lia Mcintosh
Excellent ideas for saving money within the home
  • Edible Schoolyard
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
  • Little House on a Small Planet: Simple Homes, Cozy Retreats, and Energy Efficient Possibilities
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
  • Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands (Vol. 1): Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain into Your Life And Landscape
  • The Profitable Hobby Farm, How to Build a Sustainable Local Foods Business
  • Ecoliterate: How Educators Are Cultivating Emotional, Social, and Ecological Intelligence
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • Introduction to Permaculture
  • Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
  • Manifestos on the Future of Food and Seed
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • Simple Prosperity: Finding Real Wealth in a Sustainable Lifestyle
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too