Start by marking “A Pocket Style Manual” as Want to Read:
A Pocket Style Manual

Diana Hacker

A Pocket Style Manual

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  413 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Used by nearly a quarter million students each year, A Pocket Style Manual is a straightforward, inexpensive quick reference, with content flexible enough to suit the needs of writers in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, health professions, business, fine arts, education, and beyond. Its slim format, brief length, and spiral binding make it easy for students to ke ...more
Published November 28th 2011 by Bedford/St. Martin's (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about A Pocket Style Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pocket Style Manual

Mandy
Nov 05, 2010 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbook
NEED TO OWN FOR ALL STUDENTS!! Used for both Eng101 and ENG102. Very helpful. Very detailed.
Additional resource linked from Diana Hackers web-site: http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/pocke...
Mel
I bought this book, not with the intention to sit with it and read it from cover to cover one time. No, I bought this book because it was recommended to me by one of my English professors and she was spot on.

This book is great as a reference guide. It includes how to apply the styling guidelines by the three most know style entities: APA, MLA and Chicago; plus also shows CSE (which I must admit I just found out about it). In addition, the first part of the book is dedicated to how use grammar p
Leslie
Jul 04, 2014 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WISH I'd had this toward the end of high school and the beginning of college. I won't use another grammar/punctuation/style/research/citing guide again, especially when it's HALF the price of the original textbook. This efficiently replaces the combination of reference books I've used when teaching - including Strunk & White. I should have had this YEARS ago, but now will suffice.
Kendra
Feb 24, 2012 Kendra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-aids
This is precisely the reference book I wanted and needed when I was an undergraduate student. It covers everything--grammar, mechanics, research aids, all the major style guides, and several handy indices--and is totally pocket-size, if you have deep pockets. I love that this book is offered in a spiral-bound form, too. Diana Hacker and Nancy Sommers stick to the basics, but they cover a lot of ground and even this college graduate and adjunct professor has been able to learn something useful wh ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is a really, really good little manual, especially concerning its size. I've read a lot of short ones that are filled with too much prose to make them useful, or that don't have the examples or specifics I need. There's only been one thing so far, a specific example of a rule, that I looked up and couldn't find, and I wasn't able to find it anywhere online, either. Only the good ol' Chicago Manual of Style helped me out and since I have a hard copy of that, too, I'm good to go. (I like havi ...more
Martha
Jul 09, 2010 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, I've spent a lot of quality time with this little book. It is our assigned text for our info lit classes. I have to say that it is pretty darned handy, with basic information about citation styles and sound wisdom about conducting library research for just $10.

Oh, yeah, and Barbara Fister has been the person revising it in recent editions :)
Tom
Oct 08, 2007 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
This is an indispensable tool. If you write papers, essays, reviews, etc., this is the book for you. It has concise entries on style, citations (MLA, Chicago, APA), and more. A handy backpack staple. The larger full style manual is also excellent as a desk reference.
James Richmond
Mar 24, 2014 James Richmond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed how this book helped with my studies not only for my career, but also as a scholar. I recommend this to anyone who's looking to up their writing skills, or wishes to take more intensive writing courses.
Nov 09, 2007 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I'm not reading my book club's book this month because I am reading this book and others preparing each week for a Basic Writing Refresher workplace workshop I am teaching this month.
Janet Mitchell
Oct 27, 2007 Janet Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has to write
I am constantly using this book in my classroom. If you have grammar questions, APA issues, or MLA issues then you should use this book. Diane Hacker also has a website, if you just need a quick reference.
Erika  Forth
May 08, 2011 Erika Forth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been a very helpful resource when I quickly needed to look up a certain usage rule. It was particularly helpful in doing papers in styles I don't normally work with, like APA or Chicago.
Lafcadio
Aug 19, 2007 Lafcadio rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Donna
Pocket reference - if you have big pockets. Clarity, grammar, punctuation and mechanics, research, documentation, and usage/grammatical terms.
Matt
Mar 12, 2013 Matt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This would be useful if I had to follow some academic style guide. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with such silliness any more.
Christopher Young
Feb 11, 2009 Christopher Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The single best resource for correctly citing anything in any format that I was able to find in four years of college.
Jessica
Dec 24, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
Diana Hacker is one of the experts on style. I prefer her larger edition, but this one works well too.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as complete as "Little Brown" but more portable. MLA cowers in fear of you when you're armed with this.
Rajiv
Jul 12, 2007 Rajiv rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those of you native speakers who write English as a second language, Hacker is the book for you.
William
Aug 10, 2007 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredibly helpful little book. It's small and it's explanations are concise.
untogether
Mar 24, 2009 untogether rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Research and Documentation in the Electronic Age by Diana Hacker (2005)
Danielle
Not the best grammar guide ever. But its very portable, which is a plus.
Alicia Hess
Very helpful when I was writing my Masters Seminar paper.
Molly
Jan 18, 2010 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guess what I'm teaching in the fall and spring? Comp!
Jeffrey
Jun 24, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for toting around campus. Compact.
Lauren
Mar 29, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for all things MLA.
Christøpher Es
FUCK THIS BOOK.
Dogukan
Dogukan rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
  • Learning Theories: An Educational Perspective (5th Edition)
  • Writer's Inc
  • Educational Psychology
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The Merriam-Webster Dictionary
  • The American Heritage College Dictionary
  • English Grammar for Students of German: The Study Guide for Those Learning German
  • Simon & Shuster Handbook for Writers
  • Writing History: A Guide for Students
  • Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing
  • A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers
  • A Pocket Guide to Writing in History