Start by marking “They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?” as Want to Read:
They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?

They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,843 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
McManus celebrates the hidden pleasures, unappreciated lore, and opportunities for disaster to be found in such outdoor recreations as camping, hunting, and fishing
Published September 15th 1982 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?

Vincent O'Neil
Jan 03, 2016 Vincent O'Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WAY back in 1970, I had two Tall Tales published in the men’s magazine, ARGOSY. Just short little things, but each had a quirky punchline.

I would tell Tall Tales at my children’s schools, and sometimes get dressed for the part.

With that in mind, I was delighted to read every word in THEY SHOOT CANOES DON’T THEY? by Patrick F. McManus.

They say every lie is just embroidered truth. Each lie has a kernel of truth to make it believable. Tall Tales? No such rule. That being said, McManus MUST have bas
Jeff
Jan 12, 2015 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of fictional short stories of the outdoors that left me crippled with laughter. I first read this book in 1981. I frequently revisit Pat McManus' body of work for a hilarious romp through the Oregon outdoors with Pat, his friends: Retch Sweeny, Al Findley, Rancid Crabtree, Pat's sister, "The Troll" and Pat's long-suffering wife, Bun. These books are absolutely precious to anyone who enjoys outdoor activities!
Gchapman
I have read all of Patrick McManus's books and we had him as a guest author when I was a library director in Montana. I spent most of my youth growing up in National Parks with two older brothers and I have two grown sons. My family and my husband's family grow up in and have a humanistic need to be in nature. While I don't put camping on the list, all the other "day" outings could never find enough time to do. McManus is a gifted humor storytelling. His short stories read like me and my brother ...more
Brock Vance
Sep 18, 2014 Brock Vance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was one of the best books I have read. It tells you many interesting stories about hunting and the life of a boy. It teaches you many different techniques, and the hunting language. It is a very funny book, and I would recommend it to everyone.
Art Braendel
Aug 18, 2013 Art Braendel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patrick McManus has been writing these very funny short stories of growing up in his hometown and rural community. Each story is a gem to read preferably when you are looking forward to a good laugh. Whether he is describing the antics of the old codger Rancid Crabtree or Old Man Grogan at Grogan's Surplus store or any number of his other characters you will undoubtedly smile thinking of someone you knew who fits this description. Perhaps I liked it because it was so close to my own experiences ...more
Rebekkila
Apr 16, 2011 Rebekkila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the first few pages of this book I didn't think I would read the whole thing, I have no patience for fishing and am completely ambivalent when it comes to hunting. But, the book turned out to be funny and I understood most of what he was talking about. The story of how he carried his first deer down a mountain while riding a bike and balancing the thing across the bike made me laugh out loud. and his sections on bad Christmas gifts reminded me of the first time my dad Christmas shopped for ...more
Steve Odenthal
Jun 11, 2015 Steve Odenthal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patrick McManus is an acquired taste. Very easily acquired, certainly; but when you adopt him he instantly becomes a master storyteller. BIG influence in my own writing.
Amy
Feb 29, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Dave Barry was a hunter and fisherman then this is the book he would have written. My favorite are the stories about Sneed the game warden. So funny.
Stacy Bender
Jan 26, 2008 Stacy Bender rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book maaaaaaany years ago....

His stories lended quite well to my competition literature when competing in Humorous Interpretation throughout my latter high school years. ( Humorous Interpretation: Verbal delivery of written word... loosely put )

If you have not read any of his work. I highly suggest it.

Simply for the vivid and laugh-out-loud moments of humanity that Mr. McManus portrays in his work. You can't help but visualize every moment and character as if you had a front seat to th
Tom Ostberg
Jan 21, 2015 Tom Ostberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
unbelievable funny, listened to it on audio, am going to buy the "paper" version now so I can read it out loud to my grand child!!!
Ja Obxghost
Dec 30, 2014 Ja Obxghost rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the only author to make me laugh out loud and get tears in my eyes. I have read his books over and over.
angrykitty
Apr 18, 2008 angrykitty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, sports
ok....when i was growing up, my dad used to get the magazine outdoor life....come on people...i am from minnesota and all....anyway, this guy used to have a story in like every issue, and they were always funny, so i just ended up reading a number of his books. if you don't like camping or the outdoors, then these stories are not for you, but if you do, you might find them amusing....on a side note, in the magazine, they also had a comic every issue that would tell someone's real life adventure ...more
Mikel Dawson
Jan 22, 2014 Mikel Dawson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alread-read
If you just want to sit down and read a book for no reason excpet to enjoy some time, read this! Patrick has done a fantastic job on telling his life in a way that really makes one laugh. It is full of fun and enjoyment. Very well written.
Nancy Bohl
Aug 03, 2015 Nancy Bohl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up book of outdoor stories at the cabin. I laughed out loud several times.
Caleb Becker
Jan 26, 2015 Caleb Becker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever stories that can be read individually. Great book to keep around for a chuckle.
Caleb
Jul 23, 2014 Caleb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love McManus, as always. Kept me chuckling the whole time, and even had me reading choice passages to innocent bystanders
Chuck Springer
If you like Red Green, you will throughly enjoy this book. It recounts the humorous adventures of a man growing up in rural America. It was a nice diversion from my usual reading and being able to laugh at oneself (and others) can be quite enjoyable.
Scott
Dec 22, 2014 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious book for an outdoorsman.
Liz
Jun 06, 2016 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So funny! So true!
Jaron Grass
Jan 07, 2016 Jaron Grass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny
Janet Wilcox
Aug 22, 2009 Janet Wilcox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite collection of Mcmanus stories. Used "My first deer and welcome to it," as a kick off to hyperbole writing assignment for my 11th grade students back in the day. For many years I read it just prior to the local deer hunt, and it helped produce some of the best writing I ever got from the football players! Every experience in high school is foder for exaggeration, and this story is the best. Also used "The Rifle" and the title story for good examples of hyperbole.
Love these!
Ernest Barker
Jan 07, 2013 Ernest Barker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book back in the 1980's. A few days ago, I was browsing humours ebooks online @b&n for my nook. I found that it is available for the nook. I decided to buy it and read it again. It is still just a good as it was almost 30 years ago. I could not stop laughing. It is still one of the best, arguably the best book for pure enjoyment that I have every read. If you enjoy a great big belly laugh this book is for you.
Ray
Jan 10, 2011 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For comic relief, I just have to mention the writing of Patrick McManus. His characters are priceless (i.e., Retch Sweeny), and the circumstances of the outdoor misadventures of which he writes never cease to amaze and delight this reader. Other titles I have read are A Fine and Pleasant Misery, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, The Grasshopper Trap, and Real Ponies Don't Go Oink.
Kelly
Sep 02, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Patrick McManus's books! They are laugh out loud funny! I guess because I love the outdoors and I always went exploring as a kid. I think his stories are just so funny! These stories are great for the car because they are all short stories. Of course with all of his books some stories are better than others but definitely a must read for outdoor enthusiasts.
Ryan Loghry
Jan 15, 2014 Ryan Loghry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny stuff, McManus is a great story teller.
Alethea
Oct 19, 2008 Alethea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dad read from this to me when I was a kid and I can still remember laughing harder than ever at the story of "My First Moose". This is a great gift book to any family member who loves (or despises) the outdoors and sure to bring a hearty chuckle or downright side-splitting laughter to even the most indoor-dwelling reader.
Cerese
Nov 22, 2008 Cerese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the McManus books. The funniest are the oldest. (they shoot canoes, and this one) It really is humor for the outdoorsman, but the sarcasm, hyperbole and childhood drama would appeal to many.
These books helped my compulsive reading because I could read one short story and then put the book down for the nigh.
Jackie
Feb 04, 2008 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids, anyone who enjoys hunting or fishing, outdoors people
Shelves: really-funny
My brother and I used to laugh out loud reading these before bed when we were young. It wasn't just that my dad thought they were funny; McManus' writing style is easy to read and hilarious! Highly recommended for anyone who likes hunting or fishing, or who grew up having adventures in the outdoors.
Melissa Reid
Oct 08, 2008 Melissa Reid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though it is sometimes a little hokey and somewhat predictable, I love a good laugh from Patrick McManus. These are books that my brother and I read at about the same time when we were younger and still refer to amongst ourselves on a regular basis. Great big-brother/little-sister bonding material!
wally
Sep 21, 2010 wally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mcmanus
hilarious stories. easy reading. mornings, usually, keep a copy on hand. problem is, you might not want to get up and then the ole leg cramps start. probably best to have someone that's handy install one of those metal bars on the wall so you can get up w/o calling for assistance. good reads!
  • Shoot Low, Boys--They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies: In Search of True Grit
  • Dave Barry's Bad Habits: A 100% Fact-Free Book
  • The Amateur Naturalist
  • If You Didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I Just Eat?: Misadventures in Hunting, Fishing, and the Wilds of Suburbia
  • Politically Correct Holiday Stories: For an Enlightened Yuletide Season
  • I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression
  • The Snake Has All the Lines
  • A Naturalist Buys an Old Farm
  • The Far Side Gallery 5
  • Nature Noir: A Park Ranger's Patrol in the Sierra
  • Coyote v. Acme
Patrick F. McManus is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books.

Series:
* Sheriff Bo Tully
More about Patrick F. McManus...

“There is nothing better than to be headed into the mountains on a clean fresh day with the sun rising through the trees and good company and good talk and the sense of ease that comes from the knowledge that you are in somebody else's car and it is not your transmission that is going to get torn out on a big rock.” 9 likes
“You know how to check fer thin ice, boy?" he would ask me. "Wall, what you do is stick one foot way out ahead of you and stomp the ice real hard and listen fer it to make a crackin' sound. Thar now, did you hear how the ice cracked whan Ah stomped it? Thet means it's too thin to hold a man's weight. Now pull me up out of hyar and we'll run back to shore and see if we kin built a fahr b'fore Ah freezes to death!” 3 likes