Start by marking “They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?” as Want to Read:
They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?

They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  1,528 ratings  ·  87 reviews
McManus celebrates the hidden pleasures, unappreciated lore, and opportunities for disaster to be found in such outdoor recreations as camping, hunting, and fishing
Published September 15th 1982 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?

Tenya Ingalls
It's one of the funniest things I've ever read or heard.

Almost anything written by McManus is hilarious, especially if one hails from the Pacific Northwest as I do. I first became familiar with his work in my high school English class. We were doing a unit on local authors, and our teacher started reading McManus's work from a magazine. We were falling out of our chairs (quite literally) with laughter. Thank you Mrs. Darter!

McManus writes with the expertise of one who knows the climate and cult
Gchapman
I have read all of Patrick McManus's books and we had him as a guest author when I was a library director in Montana. I spent most of my youth growing up in National Parks with two older brothers and I have two grown sons. My family and my husband's family grow up in and have a humanistic need to be in nature. While I don't put camping on the list, all the other "day" outings could never find enough time to do. McManus is a gifted humor storytelling. His short stories read like me and my brother ...more
Brock Vance
It was one of the best books I have read. It tells you many interesting stories about hunting and the life of a boy. It teaches you many different techniques, and the hunting language. It is a very funny book, and I would recommend it to everyone.
Art Braendel
Patrick McManus has been writing these very funny short stories of growing up in his hometown and rural community. Each story is a gem to read preferably when you are looking forward to a good laugh. Whether he is describing the antics of the old codger Rancid Crabtree or Old Man Grogan at Grogan's Surplus store or any number of his other characters you will undoubtedly smile thinking of someone you knew who fits this description. Perhaps I liked it because it was so close to my own experiences ...more
Rebekkila
After the first few pages of this book I didn't think I would read the whole thing, I have no patience for fishing and am completely ambivalent when it comes to hunting. But, the book turned out to be funny and I understood most of what he was talking about. The story of how he carried his first deer down a mountain while riding a bike and balancing the thing across the bike made me laugh out loud. and his sections on bad Christmas gifts reminded me of the first time my dad Christmas shopped for ...more
Stacy Bender
Read this book maaaaaaany years ago....

His stories lended quite well to my competition literature when competing in Humorous Interpretation throughout my latter high school years. ( Humorous Interpretation: Verbal delivery of written word... loosely put )

If you have not read any of his work. I highly suggest it.

Simply for the vivid and laugh-out-loud moments of humanity that Mr. McManus portrays in his work. You can't help but visualize every moment and character as if you had a front seat to th
angrykitty
ok....when i was growing up, my dad used to get the magazine outdoor life....come on people...i am from minnesota and all....anyway, this guy used to have a story in like every issue, and they were always funny, so i just ended up reading a number of his books. if you don't like camping or the outdoors, then these stories are not for you, but if you do, you might find them amusing....on a side note, in the magazine, they also had a comic every issue that would tell someone's real life adventure ...more
Mikel Dawson
If you just want to sit down and read a book for no reason excpet to enjoy some time, read this! Patrick has done a fantastic job on telling his life in a way that really makes one laugh. It is full of fun and enjoyment. Very well written.
Caleb
Love McManus, as always. Kept me chuckling the whole time, and even had me reading choice passages to innocent bystanders
Chuck Springer
If you like Red Green, you will throughly enjoy this book. It recounts the humorous adventures of a man growing up in rural America. It was a nice diversion from my usual reading and being able to laugh at oneself (and others) can be quite enjoyable.
Scott
Hilarious book for an outdoorsman.
Janet Wilcox
My favorite collection of Mcmanus stories. Used "My first deer and welcome to it," as a kick off to hyperbole writing assignment for my 11th grade students back in the day. For many years I read it just prior to the local deer hunt, and it helped produce some of the best writing I ever got from the football players! Every experience in high school is foder for exaggeration, and this story is the best. Also used "The Rifle" and the title story for good examples of hyperbole.
Love these!
Ernest Barker
I first read this book back in the 1980's. A few days ago, I was browsing humours ebooks online @b&n for my nook. I found that it is available for the nook. I decided to buy it and read it again. It is still just a good as it was almost 30 years ago. I could not stop laughing. It is still one of the best, arguably the best book for pure enjoyment that I have every read. If you enjoy a great big belly laugh this book is for you.
Ray
For comic relief, I just have to mention the writing of Patrick McManus. His characters are priceless (i.e., Retch Sweeny), and the circumstances of the outdoor misadventures of which he writes never cease to amaze and delight this reader. Other titles I have read are A Fine and Pleasant Misery, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, The Grasshopper Trap, and Real Ponies Don't Go Oink.
Kelly
I love Patrick McManus's books! They are laugh out loud funny! I guess because I love the outdoors and I always went exploring as a kid. I think his stories are just so funny! These stories are great for the car because they are all short stories. Of course with all of his books some stories are better than others but definitely a must read for outdoor enthusiasts.
Ryan Loghry
Funny stuff, McManus is a great story teller.
Alethea
My dad read from this to me when I was a kid and I can still remember laughing harder than ever at the story of "My First Moose". This is a great gift book to any family member who loves (or despises) the outdoors and sure to bring a hearty chuckle or downright side-splitting laughter to even the most indoor-dwelling reader.
Cerese
I love the McManus books. The funniest are the oldest. (they shoot canoes, and this one) It really is humor for the outdoorsman, but the sarcasm, hyperbole and childhood drama would appeal to many.
These books helped my compulsive reading because I could read one short story and then put the book down for the nigh.
Jackie
Feb 04, 2008 Jackie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids, anyone who enjoys hunting or fishing, outdoors people
Shelves: really-funny
My brother and I used to laugh out loud reading these before bed when we were young. It wasn't just that my dad thought they were funny; McManus' writing style is easy to read and hilarious! Highly recommended for anyone who likes hunting or fishing, or who grew up having adventures in the outdoors.
Melissa Reid
Even though it is sometimes a little hokey and somewhat predictable, I love a good laugh from Patrick McManus. These are books that my brother and I read at about the same time when we were younger and still refer to amongst ourselves on a regular basis. Great big-brother/little-sister bonding material!
wally
hilarious stories. easy reading. mornings, usually, keep a copy on hand. problem is, you might not want to get up and then the ole leg cramps start. probably best to have someone that's handy install one of those metal bars on the wall so you can get up w/o calling for assistance. good reads!
Boots
It was an enjoyable enough read. This book is a collection of short stories or vignettes relating to outdoor pursuits. Nothing deep. This is the book equivalent of mindless but enjoyable movies. No deep messages, plots, morals. Just a nice way to waste an afternoon.
Phil
Great, silly, ridiculously embelished short stories of McManus's life as a lover of the outdoors. Some are great, others just ok. He has written a whole series of similar books but this one I think might contain the highest concentration of his best stories.
Delanie
The first time I read this, the story titled "My First Deer and Welcome To It" actually had my lying on the floor of my mother's bookstore, tears of laughter streaming down my face, gasping for air.

Okay, I was thirteen.

But it's still really, really funny.
Karen
I read many of his books years ago. 'My First Deer and Welcome to it' is just one of many of his stories that made me fall out of my chair laughing hysterically. He writes so visually that you can just see the event taking place, and the events are sooooo funny.
Brent Ferguson
If you like outdoor humor this is THE book to read... I found it on my father's bookshelf and decided to try it and I can tell you that I am still laughing days after reading it. He has several other books out that I intend to read.
Karen
All of Patrick McManus books are great short stories for all ages. I read them to the girls when they were little and we would laugh so had that I could hardly read. A sports writer that has a great sense for humor! Great for all ages.
Katie
This book so far is hilarious! Peter somehow found out about these books and I guess we have lots of them. Peter read a chapter from The Grasshopper Trap another of his books and he had us all roaring with laughter!
Ardith
Only 3 stars because it's been at least 10 years since I held a copy of this book, but I remember laughing a lot when I read it as a kid. (I wonder... would it be funny now?)

As an 11 year old, it was funny!
Susan Murray
I am so not familiar with huntin' and fishin' but McManus has me laughing out loud until tears fall down my face. My husband has forbidden me from reading them in bed because My howls of laughter wake him.
  • Shoot Low, Boys--They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies: In Search of True Grit
  • The Far Side Gallery 5
  • Smart Dragons, Foolish Elves
  • The Year's Best Fantasy First Annual Collection
  • The Ig Nobel Prizes
  • Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)
Patrick F. McManus is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books.

Series:
* Sheriff Bo Tully
More about Patrick F. McManus...
A Fine and Pleasant Misery Never Sniff A Gift Fish The Grasshopper Trap The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw Real Ponies Don't Go Oink!

“There is nothing better than to be headed into the mountains on a clean fresh day with the sun rising through the trees and good company and good talk and the sense of ease that comes from the knowledge that you are in somebody else's car and it is not your transmission that is going to get torn out on a big rock.” 4 likes
“You know how to check fer thin ice, boy?" he would ask me. "Wall, what you do is stick one foot way out ahead of you and stomp the ice real hard and listen fer it to make a crackin' sound. Thar now, did you hear how the ice cracked whan Ah stomped it? Thet means it's too thin to hold a man's weight. Now pull me up out of hyar and we'll run back to shore and see if we kin built a fahr b'fore Ah freezes to death!” 2 likes