Start by marking “The Grasshopper Trap” as Want to Read:
The Grasshopper Trap

The Grasshopper Trap

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,211 ratings  ·  55 reviews
The bestselling author of They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? is at it again with more of his zany spoofs of The Great Outdoors.
Published September 15th 1986 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Grasshopper Trap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grasshopper Trap

Joslyn
This book had me laughing out loud at a few points. It is a collection of short stories so I was able to read one or two at a time on my break at work. Of course, I think people wondered why I was laughing to myself, but...
Marco den Ouden
My favorite McManus book because it has two of my favorite stories - The titular Grasshopper Trap, about how Pat, his buddy Crazy Eddie Muldoon, and the cantankerous woodsman Rancid Crabtree set out to catch grasshoppers to use as bait for fishing. The other is the first story in the collection, The Skunk Ladder. I say no more. Read the book and prepare to roll on the floor laughing!
Alexandra Kaudy
McManus has read me to sleep since I can remember, repeating the same familiar and ludicrous woodsman tales until my tapes wore out and the cassette player aged beyond repair.

A charming collection of stories, full of humor and nostalgia from McManus's boyhood and adulthood (though the two don't seem terribly different), I recommend it to any person fond of the outdoors.
angrykitty
instead of telling about this book..it's just another funny collection....i'm gonna tell you an outdoor story of my own.

when i was a kid i got dragged out ice-fishing with my dad on a butt cold day. it was so windy that i started to get dragged across the ice....we weren't in a shack. needless to say, my dad still tried to drill a hole and fish. by the time he noticed i'd been blown a ways away, he'd already gotten a hole drilled. this made things harder on me since i then had to make an argume
Mikel Dawson
The was the first of Patrick's books I read. I was working as a guide at the time, living in the back country and I thought I'd die laughing. The tales he tells are out of this world. Thus I went and had to find more of his works. He is a gifted story teller and knows how to relate to the normal, down home reader. A must read for pure entertainment purposes.
John Wood
I didn't know who Patrick McManus was when I read this. I found quite a bit of the stories funny, though I think I would have liked them in their original format a little more than in a book. Since I didn't know who McManus was, I found myself reading most of the book in the voice of Red Green, which you will understand as you read these.
Eric
McManus is a wonderful story teller. The stories in this book are not as enjoyable to me as his other books.
Pat
Short stories by a master of humor...I laughed till I cried, and do so every time I re-read them.
Laurie Lewis
David Penry's book of short stories - The Skunk Ladder - funny!
Laura Gesme
good read. Funny and full of nostalgia.
JT
Apr 18, 2007 JT rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fiction/Outdoors
Shelves: goodsolidread
If you have a son or you yourself are young at heart, pick this book up. It is a wonderful set of stories about a young imaginative boy who grew up in rural America. This is almost a modern day Huck Fin without the social commentary Mark Twain added to his writing.

I laughed so hard at all the characters and stories. I promise you that this book is perfect for anyone who loves the outdoors and found themselves doing things their parents may not have always approved of. Good innocent humor!

Dan,
Caleb
Excellent as always
Toria
I read this book when I used to volunteer at the VA hospital where my dad was being treated for his heart condition. Several of the vets were vision-impaired: still waiting to be "admitted" (?) as legally blind. In the meantime, I read this and several of the other books by this author out loud to some of the patients.

The stories were pretty short but a lot of fun to read and the guys just loved them.
Rachel Wagner
I am not an outdoorsy person; yet, I still found this book to be hilarious. The stories involving children are the funniest. He has an almost Twain-like sense of dry dialogue. My brother got it when we were little and one week we heard him laughing in the basement late at night. Finally, he read us the stories and we've been hooked ever since. Mean Tents is my favorite in this book.
Amy
I realize I am showing my redneck roots by putting this book on here, but I have to admit I have read every Patrick McManus book. Growing up in backwoods Wyoming with 3 older brothers may be my claim to insanity for loving McManus. I realize not many women enjoy outdoor humor like these books have to offer, but for some reason these books tickle my tom-boy raising.
Marissa  Pineda
My best friend in high school and I used to spend hours reading aloud to each other all the short stories and essays by outdoorsman and humorist Patrick McManus. We laughed our heads off. If you or someone you love is a camper/hiker/angler/hunter/liar you'll get a kick out of this book or any of the others by the author.
Heidi
I found some of it to be funny. After a while I figured out that you had to be in the right mind set where you take everything he says to be exaggeration and obfuscation of the truth. Then it is really funny. Until then, you just kind of read it with a bit of a stoic look on your face.
Tannie
This was a FUN lighthearted read. It's just a collection of true stories from the author's life (written with a LARGE dose of literary license). They are mostly outdoor adventure stories and are hilarious. If you are looking for something easy to pass the time read this one.
Deb Mj
Very entertaining, short anecdotes about outdoor life. Several of these caused me to laugh out loud. This is a nice diversion from the usual murder-mysteries to which I normally gravitate, and I'm sure I'll pick up other McManus offerings along the way.
Patricia
I would rate this at 2.5 or 3. While it was okay, I did not love it. Perhaps if I were an outdoorsman . . . . . Maybe if I had read it instead of listening to it, my expectations would have been lower and it would have fared better with my rating.
Karen
All of Patrick McManus books are great short stories for all ages. I read them to the girls when they were little and we would laugh so had that I could hardly read. A sports writer that has a great sense for humor! Great for all ages.
Brent Ferguson
This is the second book of Mr. McManus' books that I have read and I honestly cannot stop laughing, quoting from the book and stop talking about it with all of my friends. Outdoor humor can be some funny s**t.
Bonnie
One of my dads' books that made it into my pile during the move. It was a fun read. I'm not an outdoorisy person, but my dad and brother are and they've done many of the same things McManus talked about.
Paul Landkamer
Bedtime stories for kids of all ages! I introduced my dad to his first Patrick McManus book while he was recovering from a hernia operation. He winced as he read and laughed. Maybe I should've waited.
Buck Taylor
Never have I read stories written more for me. I get the biggest kick out of Pat and his friends. I promise you won't regret reading these. And buy the box set or you will be done way too soon.
Jim
Not as funny as the first book by Patrick McManus I read, 'They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?' but certainly well worth reading. I really enjoy how his humor and stories relate to his life.
Leslie Jem
I have read most of McManus's essays, and this book contains most of my favorites, including "The Skunk Ladder," "The Human Fuel Pump," and "The Grasshopper Trap."
Carol
Outdoor humor, great for reading aloud, especially around a campfire. Wish we had had this when we were Girl Scouts. I laughed my head off.
Jim Corn
Mar 02, 2008 Jim Corn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, outdoors lovers, sportsmen
Possibly the first I read from him as a book. This man is funny with great stories of his childhood hunting fishing and the great outdoors.
Katina stewart
I'm not a short story reader...but I remember my dad would laugh and laugh when he read anything by Patrick McManus. They are quite funny!
  • Dave Barry's Bad Habits: A 100% Fact-Free Book