Start by marking “End of Days” as Want to Read:
End of Days

End of Days

2.36 of 5 stars 2.36  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Lydia Lozen Magruder has seen visions of the End since childhood. After carving out a worldwide media empire, sheconstructed a massive ranch-fortress in the American Southwest, stocked with everything necessary to rebuild civilization.

Now her visions are coming true. A report from famous gonzo journalist John Stone has her trembling with fear. Stone revealed a grand plan t
Published August 28th 2012 by Forge Books (first published August 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about End of Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about End of Days

Jamie
This is absolutely one of the worst books I've ever read. I'm not sure an editor ever touched it and can't figure out how this writer got a book deal out of this crap. The book is plagued by insignificant rambling that, if cut, would probably reduce the book by half. Did I mention that there are talking rats and missiles? Seriously. There are rats that talk and missiles that crack jokes just before they detonate in cities around the world. If you were expecting Tom Clancy here, you'll be disappo ...more
Whitley
What will the future bring? Well, if it brings anything like this, watch out! For me, End of Days was one of those books that sweeps me up and doesn't let me go. The best kind of read, as far as I'm concerned. A complex, richly satisfying plot and the kind of drive that makes a great thriller great.
Denise
2.0 out of 5 stars Finally done! I could barely make it to THE END of this book.

I'm a person who always feels compelled to see a book through to the end, regardless of how I'm feeling once I hit page 50; by that benchmark I usually know if I'm going to like it -- or not. I laboriously read my way to that page and knew I was doomed. I forced myself to finish this wordy tome, and words fail me as I try to convey my message to unsuspecting readers who might be tempted to snap this up because of a c
Stephen
I received this book threough the Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I truly did not know what to expect when I started End of Days two months ago. It had all of the praising statements from famous people that come with a good publisher's advertising dollars. What I did not know was that Tor/Forge was indulging one of their loyal employees by publishing his book.

The book starts off in a chaotic jumble of short scene after short scene. These short scenes served to introduce, then expand on, the stor
Enka-Candler Library
I don't even know where to begin with this one. I picked it up, thinking "oh, I'll read a little standard end of the world story--you know, cheery stuff". It started sort of promising, but oh my...by the time I gave up around p. 250 I was ready to drop a nuke on it myself. Yes, we understand there's a pile of weapons and stuff to make weapons out there on the black market, that's what I thought I was in for, but when I hit the first chapter about the rats that were "aware" in some sort of freaky ...more
Annmarie
Read 50 pages, gave up. Booklist was on crack with their glowing review.
Trekscribbler
END OF DAYS Is Little More than Gibberish On An Apocalyptic Scale

I pride myself on my ability to finish a book. When that doesn’t happen – when, for whatever reason, I give up on a read, deciding my time is too precious to continue it – I struggle with the idea of penning a review. Is it fair, after all, to the work as a whole to cast some assessment on what I’ve read? While others have told me it isn’t, I tend to believe otherwise, and here’s my reason: if I didn’t find a tome relevant or inter
Victoria
I read about 300 books a year, and of those 300, usually it is only one or two each year that are so bad that I can't bring myself to finish them. This was one of those books for me this year. I tried to finish it, made it halfway through and the book so lost touch with reality and my waning interest that I just couldn't handle it anymore.

I mean, I knew that after the first 100 pages I was in trouble that in the eclectic cast of characters, the only one I could find myself even mildly curious a
Karen
I knew the book was going to be bad just from the first couple of chapters. It opens with the protagonist, a female reporter coming out of her tent during azaan in Mecca (non Muslims are not allowed in Mecca, especially unaccompanied females). She was there to cover a story of a former soviet diplomat's conversion to Islam (wow! The author created 2 evil doers in one communist Muslim terrorist - the only thing missing is a zombie). After a few chapters I had to stop reading. Judging from the oth ...more
Bill Mackela
This book is not an easy read. There are a lot of things that will make you want to quit. I was about a third of the way though and I was thinking, "What the heck is going on? Am I going to keep reading or should I just give up now?" Why did I feel this way? Let me tell you.

This is a thick, large size paperback, with small type. I needed real good light to be able to read it easily. The kindle version with adjustable font size would be a great option.

The action takes place all over the globe, an
MJ
Interesting premise--but I'm not going to tell you.

Waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too many words. I finally started to speed read through the boring parts....not just one nuclear missile with thoughts but 75 missiles each with their own thoughts as they speed to their targets. Also some rather graphic torture scenes for me.
Mark
Had a chance to read an advance reading copy of Gleason's soon-to-be released novel. Very detailed, throughly researched. Also has some unexpected personifications of some of the end of days players. Really enjoyed, couldn't put it down.
Kristine
I tried, I really did try. But at a third of the way through the book when there isn't a single character I care about, or can even understand enough to fathom why they're doing what they're doing, when I'm rooting for someone to blow up a bomb just to make something happen, or just to get rid of some of the dreadful characters, it's just not a book I'm going to finish.

It seems like a promising premise, especially for those of us who like apocalyptic fiction. Someone's gotten a hold of some fiss
NyiNya
This mishmosh of a novel takes too long to get started, meanders around for way too long, and never goes any place. New age claptrap, a little rip off of Stephen King, a demented nun with a Ming the Unmerciful complex, a heroine whose hairbreadth escapes make the cheesiest episode of The Perils of Pauline seem plausible, and a cast of the silliest, most annoying and utterly dispensible characters I've ever encountered outside of a family reunion make this the bottom of the apocalyptic barrel. Th ...more
Shaun Thomas
As far as post-apocalyptic dystopian novels are concerned, Robert Gleason's End of Days is unique mostly because it's mid-apocalyptic. Some of the blurbs on the jacket proclaim Gleason as the "Dante of our age," so it must have been worth reading. I'm not sure what kind of hyperbole inspired a comment like that, but I really hope it's sarcasm.

That isn't to say End of Days is bad! Far from it. Overall, I found the narrative engaging, the loose plot unique, and the sub-threads interesting. Gleason
Elizabeth
UGH! Didn't actually finish it! Too many characters with none that you really care anything about. Got it because it was being compared to The Stand - not even close! Rarely do I just stop reading a book but I did give it until about halfway through! Blah! Wish I had read the reviews here instead of the book list review.
Craig
I read 150 pages, page-by-page, until I gave up on it and skimmed thru the the last of the 600+ pages -- something I have never before done with a book ... and even then I felt that I had wasted all my time. This is truly the worst book I've ever "read." The storyline and the characters were as credible and sympathetic as a reality show. I bought it because of some reviewers' positive comparison to THE STAND -- they lied. Giving this book a one-star rating was too generous. I could say more, but ...more
MountainMouse
I really wanted to like this book, which I received as a First Reads giveaway. I especially hoped that I'd like it because it was so thick! Sadly, it ended up being disjointed and nonsensical at many points.

Frankly, even for a book about a nuclear apocalypse, it was quite unbelievable. It was going along just fine until I reached the first section told from the point of view of Sailor, a rat. I was able to accept this, but once I reached the middle of the book, the author suddenly presented whol
Glenda Alexander
Fascinating description of the terrifying possibility of the destruction of mankind in a nuclear war originating from the Middle East where people anticipate it will start. Just as remarkable was the journey of Sailor, the big auburn rat. The near death experiences of the Kilo-Class sub crew were realistic and frightening to imagine. In a novel about the end of the world as we know it, the depiction of the characters and their heroic acts will always seem greater than like itself, just as they w ...more
Derek
Ack! Between the talking rats, thinking nuclear devices, and the lack of any redeeming qualities in nearly all of the main characters, this book was a major drag. In addition, the pervasive foul language, stereotypical depiction of republicans, and the constant crazy drivel from Sister Cassandra (she's supposed to be religious?) made this book way too tedious for a good read.

If this is the next best apocalyptic book to "The Stand," the chasm between no. 1 and this garbage makes the Grand Canyon
Shelby
Don't know what I think yet...finding it hard to get through the first few chapters...but I will hang in there and let you know....

Ok peeps....dont's waste your time. this book was weird...with the talking bombs, rats and planes. I only finished this book because I needed something to read while answering the phones at work. the writing was not bad but it was not a good post-apocolyptic read. The only good chapters were the last 2 or 3. I know they compaired this to "The Stand" but it's not even
John
I try to finish every book I read to give it a shot at redemption but I am afraid I couldn't make it to the end with this one.

Mostly caricatures and stereotypes, e.g. the fabulously successful woman who at eighty something is still riding her horse and running an empire. Obviously, she is part native american because they are so interesting. The only fun part was the fact that the anthropomorphic nukes had performance anxiety because they had been sitting on the shelf for so long.

Do yourself a f
Marty
Strange parts to this apocalyptic story. Especially the different names for different types of nuclear weapons....and their conversations. However, there is underlying truth to the plot. What is the biggest American export....yes, our weapons. And if there are no wars, well then there is a problem. And so the continuous uncontrolled sale and export of all kinds of weapons could easily result in something we (meaning all of us) would not like to happen.
Gevera Bert
This is a fun romp through the end of time (although not a funny book--read Good Omens for that). I really enjoyed the character of Sailor the rat and also the personifications of the various nuclear weapons--the book would have been boring without them. The human characters are mostly flat stereotypes or caricatures in contrast to the rat and the weapons. If the subject of world-wide nuclear war interests you, you'll like this book.
Dick
This book was a struggle for me to read. It had a lot of elements that I enjoy - distopian times, quirky characters, end of times story line... but it had a lot of stuff that just turned me off, not only was one of the main characters a rat in a real world setting, but also there were just so many descriptions that went on and on and on and on and on (get my point?)

Glad that I read it, but was very happy to flip to the last page on my Kindle.
Steve Schlutow
This was one of the worst books I have ever read.. The publisher fooled me (and shame on them) when they compared this book with King's--Stand, and McGammon's--Swan Song, two of my favorite books ever read.. This is a book that I would rather forget. I saw Gleason wrote and edited Jennings (Aztec series) I was was interested.. Wrong.. This writing was terrible and very confusing.. I had no idea who was who and what was what...
Tony
An ENORMOUS disappointment!!!!!

The blurbs on the book cover compare it to Stephen King's The Stand, Comac McCarthy's The Road, and Robert McCammon's Swan Song, all of which I read and enjoyed immensely.

This was simply a wet firecracker and a dud.

It seems I wasn't alone in my rating, as it rated little above 2.0.

It is very, very rare that I give a rating this low, but it was deserved.
T. Jackson
I tried to read this book. It took effort to stay focused. Even with the whole talking-rat community thing. I tried to get into it. But when the warheads and planes, etc. started talking, even if it was a vision. I couldn't continue. One chapter with that was enough, but it continued with several more chapters. Any interest I was trying to keep for this book, was gone. Made it to part 3.
Graziella
Just awful on so many levels. No grace or clarity -- Utter Garbagy blah. I Should have read the reviews before wasting my money. Didn't like a single character in this labored story except maybe the rat and there wasnt enough of him to convince me to stay with the story past page 160. Im going back to Crichton;at least he keeps things rolling.
  • The Second Messiah
  • Out of the Night That Covers Me
  • The Mayan Codex (Antichrist Trilogy #2)
  • How Jesus Became Christian
  • Gothicka: Vampire Heroes, Human Gods, and the New Supernatural
  • Blood and Other Cravings: Original Stories of Vampires and Vampirism by Today's Greatest Writers of Dark Fiction
  • The Cheater (Lily Forrester, #3)
  • The 13th Enumeration
  • Fatal Infatuation (Almost Human, The First Trilogy, #1)
  • Starfire
  • Rise of the Corpses (The Undertakers, #1)
  • House Divided (Joe DeMarco, #6)
  • Kissing Comfort
  • The Colony: A Novel
  • I Am Jennie
  • Fallen Masters
  • Sunset Bridge (Happiness Key Series, #3)
  • Angel
Apocalypse 2012: A Novel Wrath of God The Nuclear Terrorist: His Financial Backers and Political Patrons in the US and Abroad Icebound in the Siberian Arctic Aztec Fire (Aztec, #5)