Start by marking “The Good Samaritan Strikes Again” as Want to Read:
The Good Samaritan Strikes Again

The Good Samaritan Strikes Again

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  768 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
More witty cautionary tales of outdoor life, by everybody's favorite expert on the subject, Patrick F. McManus.
Published August 15th 1993 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Samaritan Strikes Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Samaritan Strikes Again

Jay
Nov 27, 2014 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was introduced to Patrick McManus' writing through the audio cassettes of his stories performed by George S. Irving. The recordings are over-the-top hilarious, at least to me. McManus' books are obviously a little more work, but they have caused me to laugh frequently and to read passages to my wife. This is how I found out that McManus is not for everyone - they are more aimed at nostalgic former small town boys with at least passing interest in the outdoors and a sense of humor. This collect ...more
Amy
Jan 16, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humor is so different for everybody. I once read a PG Wodehouse book that had me laughing so hard that my daughter came up from the basement to make sure I was OK. I lent it to a friend thinking they would also find it funny and they returned it with the comment that there were a few sections that made them chuckle. I think Patrick McManus's stories are probably a lot like that. Some of the stories in this book I thought were hilarious. All of them at least made me laugh or chuckle a few times.
John Wiswell
Jun 29, 2007 John Wiswell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comedy readers
A humorous collection of anecdotes and conversations from the famous outdoorsman's life and career, broken up into three categories: home life, sporting life, and childhood. His sense of humor is similar to Mark Twain, though nowhere near as effective or cruel to its subjects. The humor largely comes from the ignorance of McManus' subjects (often himself), though it's never offensive or edgy. Modest and tame, this collection is pretty easy to share with grandpa.
Philip Cosand
I was in the mood for a humor book and I'd already tackled some Fulghum this year. It got me thinking back to twenty or so years ago when several folks in my family were ready McManus.

Well, if this really is his "Eighth and funniest book", then I don't see the appeal. Oh, I may have laughed out loud once, perhaps twice. But for a humor book, that isn't enough.

Probably the humor is too specific. It tends to focus on outdoors and hunting. I like outdoors. But even so, he never fully won me over.
Tamra
Nov 27, 2009 Tamra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tamra by: Claire Grover and Heather
One of my best best friends suggested I read McManus' A Fine and Pleasant Misery, which I disliked quite a bit. But I felt guilty about that, since I really like this friend and she really liked the book. So when I saw The Good Samaritan Strikes Again on another friend's bookshelf, I decided to give McManus a second chance. ESPECIALLY when I saw that Misery was McManus' first book. Usually people get better at their craft.

And he did. I really enjoyed Samaritan, and even read several parts outlou
Brett
Jan 16, 2016 Brett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
This is one of my favorite compilation of McManus stories. I particularly enjoyed the title story, and have read it numerous times. I highly recommend checking out the audio book from your local library and listen to it as you head out on your next outdoor adventure. McManus has helped shape one of my life mottos that, "It's all about the stories!"

Re-read: 26 Mar 15
Robin Allen
Jan 06, 2016 Robin Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McManus strikes again. A good read

A good read McManus strikes again all of his books are too funny. The last two chapters are the best
Tracy Gilson
Sep 17, 2014 Tracy Gilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love McManus! I use to read him in Outdoor Life. The stories are funny and I found my self laughing while my husband was trying to sleep.
hildiesmom
Jul 01, 2015 hildiesmom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this one. Good storytelling of boyhood experiences. Quite funny in some parts. A good light read.
Demetria
Not my cup of tea. The first few chapters had a couple of hilarious moments... then it got boring, so I stopped listenning.
Cur3t
Such fun, and excellent writing.
Bobby Garmon
Mar 06, 2015 Bobby Garmon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Also a chuckle with Pat
Cat.
This is a fun book, but nothing extraordinarily thrilling. I believe he writes (wrote?) a column for Field and Stream, so there is a lot of silliness around the hunting and fishing ideas, which does not exactly enthrall me. He's sort of the Royko of the Idaho sensibility, amusing and poignant and occasionally on top of the perfect bon mot.

I don't think I need to read anything else by him, but if I did, it wouldn't kill me either. A nice cozy cheerful read.
Kelly
Sep 02, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Patrick McManus's books! They are laugh out loud funny! I guess because I love the outdoors and I always went exploring as a kid. I think his stories are just so funny! These stories are great for the car because they are all short stories. Of course with all of his books some stories are better than others but definitely a must read for outdoor enthusiasts.
John
Aug 28, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, McManus writes of the great outdoors and what can go wrong while experiencing it, including snakes, incompetence, childhood, bears, mechanical ineptitude, procrastination, worrying, and overconfidence. Not to mention wives, game wardens, and Cub Scouts.
Serena
Nov 23, 2015 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My Rating System:
AlegnaB
I've bought a couple of books from National Parks with humorous, true stories and enjoyed them. I also like the true, humorous stories in Reminisce magazine. So, I thought I would like this book. However, I didn't think it was funny.
(a)lyss(a)
Nov 10, 2008 (a)lyss(a) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People looking for a laugh
Great stories :) I've tried reading them out loud to friends and can barely finish we're laughing so hard...a really good read if you're looking for something fun
Katina stewart
Feb 01, 2016 Katina stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another funny book! And since they are short stories it's a lovely read for waiting rooms or when you need to take a break for a few minutes.
Trent
Jan 27, 2010 Trent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny anecdotes that are worth some laughs. I read a couple to the boys and had them in stitches at one point. Colorful storyteller.
Rachel
Apr 20, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Cubs, Forget Desire, Sweet Poverty, Mean Gifts, and Snake were my favorites. Other books have been better, but this is still good.
Randy Young
May 07, 2013 Randy Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good chuckles and several outright laughs. A pleasure to read. I will be looking for of the authors books.
Frederick Bingham
A humorous book about such things as hunting. I listened to it for a while on cassette, and then got tired of it.
Mechel
Dec 07, 2010 Mechel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read this book while camping, you would scare the other campers with your laughter.
Gena Lott
Apr 18, 2012 Gena Lott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Not as full of chuckles as some of his other works but still worth a read!
Ki
Mar 05, 2008 Ki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anything by McManus is funny beyond reason and highly recommened.
Lugene
Jan 19, 2010 Lugene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for a laugh even if your not the outdoor type.
Joe
May 27, 2012 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Funny. Family friendly. A Good book for at Camp.
Jonathan
Jul 18, 2008 Jonathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as his earlier efforts
David Reynolds
Feb 17, 2013 David Reynolds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: odd-balls
I forgot how funny Pat can be!
  • Dave Barry Turns Forty
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • Politically Correct Holiday Stories: For an Enlightened Yuletide Season
  • Afterage
  • Wizards' Worlds
  • Best New Horror 16 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #16)
  • Red Lobster, White Trash, & the Blue Lagoon: Joe Queenan's America
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
  • How to Eat Like a Child: And Other Lessons in Not Being a Grown-up
  • The Groo Adventurer (Groo the Wanderer, #1-4)
Patrick F. McManus is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books.

Series:
* Sheriff Bo Tully
More about Patrick F. McManus...