Start by marking “Curse of the Jade Lily (Mac McKenzie, #9)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Curse of the Jade Lily

David Housewright

Curse of the Jade Lily (Mac McKenzie #9)

A stolen gem with a tragic history, a curse and a million dollar ransom is Mac McKenzie's latest case, in David Housewright's Curse of the Jade Lily

Several years ago, Rushmore McKenzie became an unexpected millionaire and set about doing not much of anything. Now, showing up at his doorstep is the insurance company that paid the settlement that made him rich—and they want
Published June 5th 2012 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Curse of the Jade Lily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curse of the Jade Lily

Kate
Mar 08, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery and good twist at the end. The reader is kept guessing as to the real villains all the way through.
Hapzydeco
Convoluted but enough intrigue to make forging on to the end worthwhile.
Lis
Feb 09, 2017 Lis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Kept me reading. Hijinks ensued. Another Mackenzie romp.
Linda
Dec 26, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great plot. Liked the character development. Read in short snips due to schedule, but would've read in one sitting easily. Ruined me for the next one of his that I read. This one set the standard for comparison very high.
Doris
Dec 17, 2012 Doris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Rushmore McKenzie is a former police officer who, through a somewhat shady bit of maneuvering, is now a millionaire. He is at home, enjoying his money and his leisure when an old acquaintance calls on him for a favor. A robbery at a local upstart museum has made an object d'art with a shady past into an item to be ransomed. The 'artnappers' (I do love that term!) have specifically asked for McKenzie to be the go-between for the ransom delivery and return of the stolen art, a jade statue of a sha ...more
Carole Barrowman
Jan 25, 2013 Carole Barrowman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-deadly
Like his author, Rushmore McKenzie is a St. Paul native, and as his name implies, he's rock solid and quite remarkable. The insurance company that made McKenzie a millionaire has been keeping an eye on him and so, it seems, have art thieves who've stolen the Jade Lily, a chunk of a gem worth millions, from a Minneapolis art museum. The thieves (artnappers) are holding the Jade Lily for ransom, expecting McKenzie to be the go-between. To me, Housewright has always been one of Minnesota's gems in ...more
Ellen Parker
Dec 15, 2014 Ellen Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minnesota. Money. Murder.

Former police officer Rushmore McKenzie is hired by the insurance company to retrieve a jade carving stolen from a Twin Cities art museum. He’s reluctant and becomes more so after he’s abducted for a brief time and then the body of only thief to appear on the security video is discovered in a local park.
Bad turns to worse in this classic robbery and murder mystery. Even the Minnesota weather plays a part with a January storm, cold, and ice. The interesting cast includes
Tyler
Feb 08, 2013 Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second of my Minnesota Genre Fiction Book Award books. Despite not having read any other books in the series, it was fairly easy to follow Rushmore McKenzie through this crime novel. As they go, this one ranks on the upper end of the genre with a compelling plot with many complex elements all vying for legitimacy in the crime. It was entertaining to recognize the sites mentioned such as Lake Calhoun, Loring Park, etc. but I felt like it was overdone. There seemed to be a Minnesota reference ...more
Jan
Aug 08, 2016 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate and delight in David Housewright's tour of the Twin Cities and his irreverent main character, Rushmore McKenzie. It's pay-back time for McKenzie; the insurance company who paid him $3 + million reward earlier now wants him to do a favor (NOT paying even 1/2 million reward) and find a precious jade piece of art which they have insured. Luckily, McKenzie is smarter than I because the cast of characters (some familiar ones--the Twin Cities don't have that many bad guys!!) wanting the j ...more
Merand
Aug 14, 2012 Merand rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always pick up unknown mysteries with a bit of skepticism and worry - will it be entertaining and interesting or will it be too predictable? Will the mystery be too gory and perverse for my sensibilities? I was pleasantly surprised. A little bit of language but the crimes were never graphic. McKenzie is a fun character - ex-cop who keeps solving crimes, rude and obnoxious but has a soft side that lets us be okay with liking him. The mystery wasn't easily given away and there was enough action ...more
Thomas Bruso
Jul 19, 2014 Thomas Bruso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Housewright shines in his ninth McKenzie novel about a missing piece of expensive gem.

McKenzie, semi-retired PI, runs amuck around his hometown of Minneapolis, accepting a favor to track down a missing jade lily, getting into hairy, sometimes perilous, situations. Putting himself in grave danger, interviewing shady characters and people who may be something other than just friends, McKenzie, learns this case may be more than he can handle. The FBI is brought in, and things begin to heat up.

Hous
Kat
Aug 19, 2012 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esther
Nov 04, 2012 Esther rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad murder mystery. It was quite difficult to like the protagonist, not because he was unlikeable but because he was fairly drab. The character himself seemed okay, even someone that you might grow to like, but he comes across as a mish-mosh of other characters: there's some obvious Spenser homage in there, and some other used-to-be-cops-but-have-found-the-light types. Not a bad job of giving us the Twin Cities. And the story itself was plausible and entertaining. It just didn't grab me.
Clare
Jun 17, 2012 Clare rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More fun from Rushmore McKenzie and the Twin Cities crime scene. This time, a valuable statute on loan to an upcoming museum is stolen and McKenzie is asked to be the go-between between the insurance company (who is paying the ransom) and the thieves. But McKenzie just can't keep out of trouble and he stirs the pot, to deadly effect. We also get a bit more of Heavenly, and far less of Nina and Bobby. That's why I gave it a 3.
Larry
Jun 14, 2012 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rushmore McKenzie ("What if my parents had stayed in Deadwood when I was conceived?") serves as a go-between on a major museum art theft: delivering ransom, picking up stolen art, dodging thugs, bullets, bombs, crooked cops, corrupt museum board members, Slavic mass murderers, and (perhaps) rightful owners. Mckenzie is his usual snarky, indomitable self and the Twin Cities setting is done accurately.
Craig
Nov 06, 2012 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Housewright is one of the best Minnesota mystery writers. Might even be better than William Kent Krueger. Here, he does his best to write an old-timey, Philo Vance sort of mystery, complete with an art museum boardroom facedown with several of the guilty parties (there is a very, very complex solution to this mystery--good luck guessing all the twists and turns Housewright has in store for you). Great feeling for the Twin Cities and the people who call it home. Looking forward to his next book.
June
Apr 10, 2014 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The hero Rushmore McKenzie is a hoot! Much like David Rosenfelt's lawyer character Andy Carpenter! However McKenzie is a millionaire ex cop, making his money from an insurance company's payoff. He really doesn't want to work but finds himself deep in a case, which is a lively and fun mystery with lots of twists. Very enjoyable book
Joseph Lewis
A good story with good writing. However, though the book started strong, the plot twists grew a bit too complicated and it ended weaker than it should have. A few too many big city cliches for me - women know not every woman in the world is sooo strong, self sufficient and clever, but all of them are here. Kind of condesending.
Laura Jordan
I received this as a gift through a book club Christmas exchange. Never read this author before but definitely would again. I am a sucker for a good mystery and there are several more to read with this main character. Since Housewright is from the Twin Cities, it is loaded with local references - a bonus I enjoyed. Fast, fun and entertaining. Solid three and a half stars.
Annie
Sep 22, 2015 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have "been with" Mr. Housewright since his very first Rushmore McKenzie book. I have yet to be disappointed. This read is as usual, A most excellent 5 star read for me!

P.S. please, please bring Herzy back!!!
Ruth
Sep 15, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I've found some new books to read! I liked the protagonist, Rushmore McKenzie, and the books are set in St. Paul/Mpls. It felt almost a bit like a caper book, but not humorous, just lots of different characters that figure into the story. I will try another one!
Bill
May 06, 2013 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good book. There is a lot of local color from the Twin Cities. The story moves along well and it has a good plot with lots of suspects for an art heist that turns to murder. The ending was right out of a noir mystery with a tad of Agatha Christie twist.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Rushmore McKenzie; McKenzie is hired to do a swap of insurance cash for a stolen museum piece, but things get complicated as way too many people are looking to get their hands on the piece nad or a share of cash
Anne
Jun 20, 2012 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Housewright is always sassy and amusing and his Twin Cities setting spot on in this new installment in his Rushmore McKenzie series. I give this one three and a half stars. Recommended for all fans of regional mysteries.
Su
Jul 03, 2012 Su rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually gobble up Housewright's books and enjoy them immensely. This one just left me cold. I was confused by so many characters and didn't find the theme to be that entertaining. I am sure he will do better next time!
Tom Hicks
Jun 21, 2012 Tom Hicks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gotta love that Rushmore. He gets the job done but sometimes not easily. Well written and another great book from David Housewright. Cheers.
kathy
Dec 25, 2012 kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read. Moves along & a few laughs along the way. I live where it is set & fun to go places I know in the book!
Julie
Jun 28, 2012 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy these Mckenzie books. This one was a bit convoluted, with lots of characters to remember. It was a fun summer read, though .
Terri
Feb 15, 2013 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, David Housewright write another very enjoyable mystery. This one was bit convoluted in places, but the end result, it was difficult to put down.
Wendy Stotts
Living in Minnesota, I have always enjoyed reading mysteries set in Minnesota. I am not sure how I have missed this author. A friend told be about the book. I enjoyed it.
  • One Hot Mess (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #5)
  • Drift Away (Noah Braddock, #4)
  • Killing Kate (Riley Spartz, #4)
  • Stray Bullets (Detective Greene, #3)
  • The Wild Beasts of Wuhan (Ava Lee, #3)
  • Marriage Can Be Murder (Dr. Benjamin Bones Mysteries, #1)
  • Spilled Blood
  • The Skeleton Box (Starvation Lake, #3)
  • The Night Searchers
  • Red Knife (Cork O'Connor, #8)
  • Augie's Secrets: The Minneapolis Mob and the King of the Hennepin Strip
  • Resort to Murder: Thirteen More Tales of Mystery by Minnesota's Premier Writers
  • Point No Point (Claire Watkins, #7)
  • The Black Minute (John Santana, #2)
A reformed newspaper reporter and ad man, Housewright's book "Penance" (Foul Play Press) earned the 1996 Edgar Award for Best First Novel from the Mystery Writers of America and was nominated for a Shamus in the same category by the Private Eye Writers of America.

"Practice to Deceive" won the 1998 Minnesota Book Award (it is currently being developed as a feature film) and "Jelly's Gold" won the s
More about David Housewright...

Mac McKenzie (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1)
  • Tin City (Mac McKenzie, #2)
  • Pretty Girl Gone (Mac McKenzie, #3)
  • Dead Boyfriends (Mac McKenzie, #4)
  • Madman on a Drum (Mac McKenzie, #5)
  • Jelly's Gold (Mac McKenzie, #6)
  • The Taking of Libbie, SD (Mac McKenzie, #7)
  • Highway 61 (Mac McKenzie, #8)
  • The Last Kind Word (Mac McKenzie, #10)
  • The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie, #11)