The Race for What's Left: The Global Scramble for the World's Last Resources

The Race for What's Left: The Global Scramble for the World's Last Resources

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  20 reviews
From Michael Klare, the renowned expert on natural resource issues, an invaluable account of a new and dangerous global competition

The world is facing an unprecedented crisis of resource depletion—a crisis that goes beyond “peak oil” to encompass shortages of coal and uranium, copper and lithium, water and arable land. With all of the planet’s easily accessible resource de...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Metropolitan Books (first published December 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Race for What's Left, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Race for What's Left

Hadrian
A satisfactory summary of the worlds upcoming resource shortages, and the main focal points for what's left. Many previously ignored areas in great power geopolitics could suddenly become flash points.

Shale oil, deep water mining, rare earth elements, food supply. It's all there. An excellent point to begin discussion.
Aharon
You know how you can protect those precious vanishing resources, Michael Klare? Stop repeating yourself and make this a 150-page book. Cool stuff about shale oil, though.
Columbus
The perennial problem of resource scarcity is reaching a critically dangerous point, with potentially devastating environmental and geopolitical consequences, according to Klare's latest book. The industrialization of developing nations, particularly in East Asia, has created a unprecedented level of demand for a variety of resources, while the supply of such resources is simultaneously reaching a point of diminishing returns. With easy-to-access oil and gas reserves already exhausted, energy co...more
Ian
Competently written rebuttal of the idea that technology is about to make resource shortages a relic of the past.

Only 3 stars as book comes off as a compendium of various essays -- write 20 pages about the current state of oil production. Next chapter, 10 pages on rare metals. Then, an essay about agriculture. And so on. You can hardly tell this book even has an author, it feels like an assembly by committee. Which is fine...

But the book has no core, there's no context, no narrative string tying...more
Aubrey
Eye opening account of a race for what remains of the world's resources. A great topic of discussion, this book presents facts on large investment firms and governments razing the world over for rare earths, peak 'soil' in Africa, and arctic circle mining operations. Quick read, and chapters 2-5 were dry economics. If nothing, read the last half of the book.

Many of the investments cited began after the great financial crisis of 2008, leading me to believe the race for what's left is often invest...more
Judy Lindow
As someone interested in our food system and the global ramifications of our food choices, I found the chapter 'Global "Land Grabs" and the Struggle for Food' very interesting! It gave me new insight into the way the land on our planet is currently being divided up; who are the players driving land use and efficiencies (or lack of efficiencies), who are making the investments, who will be loosing out.

It describes the big picture of land use as it relates to animal agriculture that is not writte...more
Paul
The thesis is clear after the first 2 dozen pages at most. The rest is a grim elaboration. To organize a book after that fashion demands much of the writing. This one succeeds less well than "Shock Doctrine" & "Tropic of Chaos," both of which held my attention with the writing & made me glad, during & after the read, that I stuck with it. (The writing can do this too well — making it unendurable to read not because it's below standards but because it's TOO strong. My go-to example is...more
Brian
Aug 18, 2012 Brian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody.
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a frightening book. I've long known that resource depletion was a serious problem, but seeing the data makes it clear how little time we have left. Resource wars are already being fought. It's just a matter of time before major nations join the battle. With America consuming so much of the world's resources, other nations are going to start proclaiming us to be an enemy of the continuation of the human species.
Derek Barnes
Peak oil has been proven wrong, right? Klare and I aren't convinced. These newly discovered reserves almost always come from more remote, more dangerous, and more environmentally sensitive areas of the world which means that they are far more expensive to extract than conventional supplies. The ultimate reason that the global economy has stalled out is that its engine is literally running out of gas.
Tom Webb
Part of Michael T. Klare's triology exploring the sole dwindling resources may play in the national and international conflicts of the 21st century. Unless there becomes a way to distribute resources fairly rather than simply relying on the hegemony of those who control free markets, we may be in for a bloody century.
Jeffrey Cavanaugh
A nice overview of the new frontiers of resource geopolitics.
Kate
Peels the curtain back on current event stories you see continually come up in the news, country conflicts, international conflicts, border disputes and explains the primary reason why they occur (but the unspoken reason).

Very readable.
BakuDreamer
Pretty informative, just a little repetitious in places. Didn't actually talk about water specifically as a separate resource ( should have ) Hadn't heard the term ' post soil ' ( like ' post oil ' before, good one )
Mike Stolfi
A great book for all of those who dream of a future powered by alternative sources & the complications therein. And why the arctic is becoming militarized for more conventional materials.....
Lucas
Well-referenced with a nicely rounded global focus, but a little light on the analysis, particularly in reference to government policies.
Barry Lando
A good, if repetitive, look at how we're tearing our world--and ourselves--apart
Ana
my only complaint I would have liked more information on extraction methods.
Ken
A yawning amount of facts--emphasis on the word 'yawning'.
Andrew
Good overview, but not too much depth.
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Noelani
Noelani marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Christina Koziol
Christina Koziol marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
brett
brett marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Sophie
Sophie added it
Sep 02, 2014
Michael T. Klare is a Five Colleges professor of Peace and World Security Studies, whose department is located at Hampshire College, defense correspondent of The Nation magazine, and author of Resource Wars and Blood and Oil: The Dangers and Consequences of America's Growing Petroleum Dependency (Metropolitan).

Klare also teaches at Amherst College, Smith College, Mount Holyoke College, and the Un...more
More about Michael T. Klare...
Blood and Oil: The Dangers and Consequences of America's Growing Dependency on Imported Petroleum Resource Wars: The New Landscape of Global Conflict Rising Powers, Shrinking Planet: The New Geopolitics of Energy Low Intensity Warfare:  Counterinsurgency, Proinsurgency, And Antiterrorism In The Eighties Rogue States and Nuclear Outlaws: America's Search for a New Foreign Policy