Start by marking “Victim (Emily Taylor Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Victim (Emily Taylor Mystery #2)

Victim (Emily Taylor Mystery #2)

VICTIM (An Emily Taylor Mystery - Book 2)

Ancient evil comes in many forms…

School principal Emily Taylor is caught up in the inexplicable disappearances of two well-known woman and the violence linked to a disputed land claim.

When the legendary Walking Bear appears, she must also deal with the resurrection of an ancient legend and the terrified and unnerved villagers of th
Published November 1st 2011 by ImajinBooks (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Victim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victim

Sharon Michael
Apr 14, 2012 Sharon Michael rated it really liked it
This is a very absorbing, well crafted mystery that details the conflict and tensions between the modern world and small town populations as well as the modern Native American conflicts. Very well done, with a light touch on the mysticism.

The plot seemed a little thin in some respects (map to a gold deposit?) but the vivid descriptive writing and individualism of the characters were very strong.

My only personal issue with this book is the "secret" that is hinted at but not revealed about the mai
Debbie
Jun 06, 2016 Debbie rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
I couldn't finish this book. I found myself skipping over pages Indian Lore that I didn't care about. I skipped over the sweet, but typical love scenes.
I read the first in this series. Both books keep referring back to Emily and her Dr. husband's past where it sounds like he was jailed for a murder he did not do. They seem to be hiding from their past, but yet we don't know what this past is. Should this keep us interested? Add to the suspense? Well it doesn't. It's just frustrating. I thought
C.L.
Dec 21, 2012 C.L. rated it it was amazing
I'm new to this series, but I thoroughly enjoyed VICTIM and will definitely be reading the others. Emily Taylor is an engaging protagonist and I loved the sense of community in Burchill. The descriptions were so detailed that reading this story was like taking a holiday in a peaceful Canadian village -- that just happened to be in the midst of an intriguing mystery. As a historian, I loved the inclusion of Ojibwa lore and tribal history. The characters were multidimensional and the relationships ...more
Booklover
Victim is the second in a series of mysteries set in a small town in northern Ontario. It fulfilled the promise of the first book, which I enjoyed but was somewhat marred by the subject matter. This one didn't have that problem, and was a solid, well-written mystery, with interesting and engaging characters. I really enjoyed it.
Liz Bugg
Jul 30, 2012 Liz Bugg rated it really liked it
Victim is the first Emily Taylor Mystery I have read, but it won't be the last. Astolfo creates a welcoming setting with a sinister undertone, just right for the dastardly deeds that unfold. The plot keeps you guessing, and I particularly enjoyed the use of native folklore.
Joyce Lavene
Dec 11, 2012 Joyce Lavene rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading Catherine Astolfo's book, Victim. Emily Taylor is a well-defined character who gets the job done. The tale is shared by Emily and Frieda, a Native American woman. It is full of Ojibwa legends and lore that I adored! I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series!
Linda
Sep 28, 2012 Linda rated it did not like it
Thisw book was not that enjoyable...too much Ojibwa legends and weird stuff...not really into that but I was determined to finish it so that I could see what happened. Still disappointing...glad it's done!
Mary Mathews
Dec 05, 2012 Mary Mathews rated it really liked it
Native Canadian lore mixed in with the mystery. Very good read. I plan to read more of this series.
Etta
May 23, 2012 Etta rated it liked it
Had some odd spots - that didnt make sense with the rest of the book.
Lori Henrich
Apr 10, 2012 Lori Henrich rated it it was ok
This was not so good for me. I only finished reading it because it fit one of my challenges. Doubt I will read anymore.
Cindy Boepple
Nov 20, 2012 Cindy Boepple rated it it was amazing

Enjoyed this book very much. Loved the characters and the story. Suspense and kept you guessing until the end.
alicia grant
alicia grant rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Tona
Tona rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it it was ok
May 04, 2016
Judith Johnson
Judith Johnson rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Chris Redding
Chris Redding rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2012
Sheral Downham
Sheral Downham rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2013
Gay Thrower
Gay Thrower rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Sharon Eckrote Rogers
Sharon Eckrote Rogers rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Lardner
Lardner rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Claudette Rychecky
Claudette Rychecky rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2013
Kevin Thornton
Kevin Thornton rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2012
Mar Preston
Mar Preston rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
May 05, 2012
joanne arquette
joanne arquette rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2016
MICHAEL J NUGENT
MICHAEL J NUGENT rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
melanie adams
melanie adams rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015
Catherine Astolfo retired in 2002 after a very successful 34 years in education.

Catherine is a past President of Crime Writers of Canada and a Derrick Murdoch Award winner (2012). She was a Zonta Club 2012 Nominee for Women of Achievement.

Writing is Catherine’s passion. She can recall inventing fantasy stories for her classmates in Grade Three. Her short stories and poems have been published in a
More about Catherine Astolfo...

Emily Taylor Mystery (4 books)
  • The Bridgeman (Emily Taylor Mystery #1)
  • Legacy (Emily Taylor Mystery #3)
  • Seventh Fire (Emily Taylor Mystery #4)