Start by marking “Against the Tide” as Want to Read:
Against the Tide

Against the Tide

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  4,240 Ratings  ·  656 Reviews
As a child, Lydia Pallas became all too familiar with uncertainty when it came to the future. Now, she's finally carved out a perfect life for herself--a life of stability and order with no changes, surprises, or chaos of any kind. She adores her apartment overlooking the bustling Boston Harbor, and her skill with languages has landed her a secure position as a translator ...more
Published October 2012 by Bethany House Publishers

Madelyn
May 27, 2016 Madelyn rated it it was amazing
FULL REVIEW HERE: http://literarycafe.weebly.com/home/a...

I heard from many fellow readers that Against the Tide is their favorite Elizabeth Camden novel, now I can definitely see why. Although this is my first book by this author, I can certainly say it won't be my last.

It started slow, but it captured me from the beginning. The many varying facets of this novel enthralled and bewitched me. There're many points I loved, and far fewer I disliked. So, as always, let's start with my list of love
Anne
Boston, Massachusetts and Vermont, 1890's

If you're in the mood for something different, try Against the Tide by Elizabeth Camden, and you won't be disappointed! This was my first novel by this author, and we're off to an excellent start because this was simply incredible!

After a difficult and uncertain childhood, Lydia Pallas manages to land a job at the Boston Navy Yard as a translator, given her exceptional skill with languages. She is finally able to settle into a routine, and comes to love i
Maria
Lydia Pallas’ childhood was not easy. Uncertainty and fear are the only two words that can describe it. But now, at twenty-four, she has got a job she loves as a translator for the US Navy, a lovely apartment in Boston and new hopes and dreams for her future life. But her skills with languages will put her in danger when she meets Alexander “Bane” Banebridge and accepts to work with him in order to accomplish a delicate mission.

You know you loved a book to pieces when you cannot stop thinking ab
Amber Stokes
Aug 28, 2012 Amber Stokes rated it it was amazing
Deep, dark, and captivating. I started this book one evening and finished it a while later in the early morning hours - not because it is a quick read, but because it completely swept me away with its descriptions and its flawed, amazing characters. Camden has a wonderful talent, and her writing continues to get more and more remarkable with each new book!

Against the Tide begins with Lydia, giving a sketch of her fascinating but tragic background and then diving into her life as a confident and
Nymeria
 photo tumblr_inline_mfef7zFIY71qgaiz6_zps3ca609cd.gif

Decided to drop this one.

I liked the first half: Heroine is a translator for a US Navy office based in 19th century Boston? Awesome!

But then everything went downhill fast.

This book was not for me:

1*The heroine had a really tough life. She was really scared she'd end up dirt poor again and guess what? She does. Because of the hero. The hero who used her and then abandonned her to pursue his anti-opium crusade. The hero she can't help but being in love with. He's all "I'm so sorry you suffered b
Rissi
Jul 05, 2013 Rissi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical Aficionados, Fans of the Author
Shelves: favorites, review
Writing historical fiction demands the writer have a talented pen – and a lot of patience. Any historical author worth their salt will take hours in preparation to research their subject or setting or the era, and as a girl who appreciates an anticipatory historical novel, I respect this. Elizabeth Camden is probably one of my favorite authors – this is her third novel and out of those, two have been relegated to a spot on that ever-growing keeper shelf. Many fans may remember Against the Tide’s ...more
Anne
Dec 28, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing
May Contain Spoilers!!!

Bane! Bane! Bane! That was my refrain after reading The Lady of Bolton Hill. I wanted Bane's story. I'm sure he was meant to be only a secondary character but for me, he stole the show in that book.

Once a renowned and highly feared drug dealer, Bane was raised by a terrible man who takes young children as hostages in order to control their parents. No one knows that the Professor is an opiate dealer and that he taught Bane everything about the business, grooming him to ta
Nicole
Sep 16, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing
This book was unlike any other book I've read in 2 ways.

1st: The first half of the book was more dedicated to the characters' relationship than the second half. While it was building groundwork for the plot, it was more everyday matters they were going through. The second half of the book simply exploded with plot and intrigue!

2nd: I've never read a book where the "lovely, perfect heroine" goes through a struggle like the type Lydia Pallas did! I can't say what it was or I would spoil some of th
Alice
Sep 16, 2012 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It took me a few days to get back to this review because I couldn't think of much to say that I hadn't already said in my review for The Lady of Bolton Hill. Against the Tide had all of the incredible elements that the other did! Elizabeth Camden really has a way with words and historical detail that are completely captivating.
This was the first novel I've ever read where one of the main characters has a drug addiction and must realize it and overcome- the unique and real life twist made it all
Nov 21, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Age Appropriate For: Ages 15+ for drug use and intense moments.

I have to admit, I requested this book simply because of the breathtaking cover. I was pleased to find that the story inside was as wonderful as the cover. The story gripped me from the beginning and kept me turning the pages until the end.

After reading a disappointing book with typical romance, this was just what I needed to read. The romance was not typical. Instead of denying their feelings for each other, they admit it. That alon
Haley *City Girl Appearance~Country Girl Heart*
As you can see from my list of favorite authors, Elizabeth Camden is one of my favorite authors. This book is my favorite of hers. The plot, setting, and characters are awesome. I could not put it down and, yes, finished it in one day. To be perfectly honest, I would not go to bed until I finished it.
I fell in love with the main characters immediately, Bane especially! Actually, in Lady of Bolton Hill, Bane is introduced as a younger boy. So, it was awesome to read about him when he was older--
Jaime Jo Wright
Dec 21, 2012 Jaime Jo Wright rated it it was amazing
I have had the privilege of reading all three of Elizabeth's books at her request and I will say this: "Against The Tide" is definitely her best yet!

So, Elizabeth is indeed a historian. Really, this book is thick with historical detail about the Nineteeth Century opium trade. This is one of the things I love about Camden's novels ... the history. BUT! For those of you who hate history like I despise mathematics, do not be faint of heart! This is not a history book. It is a novel. And, I believe
Tito
I really loved this novel, and I think the main character Lydia was an engaging protagonist. She was hardworking, and even after living through a lot of pain that occured in her childhood, she still stayed strong and worked hard to support herself, which was admirable.

What was also good was the romance between Lydia and Bane. Hands down, their banter is one of the best that I've seen in books, and I found myself smiling and laughing every time they interacted.

Another interesting twist to this
Faye
Mar 05, 2012 Faye rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A epic love story, with characters who will capture your heart!

Bane is back, and better than ever! I don't think it's a secret that I absolutely loved Bane when I first met him in The Lady of Bolton Hill, so I could barely contain my excitement when I found that Bane would have his own book! And Against the Tide more than lived up to my frighteningly high expectations.

Lydia was the perfect heroine, and the perfect complement to Bane's larger-than-life, "glorious rascal" persona. The characters
Shantelle
Against the Tide is another riveting novel by Elizabeth Camden. Not the usual, expected story, but a crazy, tense, and wonderful tale that leaves you wishing for more!

In this book we learn about the terrible and legal trade of opium... which was put into medicines and soothing syrups, especially for babies! We follow the story of a young man who was once caught up in smuggling the vicious drug; and a young woman who'd been spoon-fed opium since she was a little child. Also, of a insane man who
Gwendolyn Gage
Aug 01, 2013 Gwendolyn Gage rated it it was amazing
A survivor of tragedy and a childhood spent in an orphanage, Lydia has worked hard to establish a comfortable and secure life for herself, and she’s proud of her job as a translator for the Boston Navy Yard. Along comes a blond-headed archangel who’s acquainted with her boss and calls himself "Bane", and even if he is a shameless flirt bent on destroying the order of her desk, he’s willing to pay an extravagant amount for translations of various foreign documents, and she needs the money for her ...more
Heidi Hart
I've never read inspirational romance, but I'm trying to expand my horizons and get out of the English Regency rut, and I was intrigued by the prospect of a book set in Victorian Boston. The heroine is a Greek orphan who works as a translator for the Navy, on the cover she is looking out at a ship in the harbor, and the book is called Against the Tide: I thought there would be sailboats, and I am a sucker for Tall Ships. Unfortunately, this book is not about boats: it's about opium and faith.

Lyd
Cherna
Aug 07, 2013 Cherna rated it did not like it
Free download from Amazon which I read without any prior information. Had I known advertising faith would play a role in it, I would never have touched it. Alas I only discovered this at 30-ish%. I can't stand that I didn't see it coming sooner. I wish there was some visible sign on the cover of books that shows it's explicitely Christian so I can avoid them.

It was a shame really, because the book was well-written and I liked the story up till that point. But I detest the arrogance of a hero bel
Nidofito
What I loved about the book

- The setting: It was completely different from anything I've read. I loved our heroine working as a translator, her connection to the navy/sea and her personality.
- The addiction and recovery from drugs: Again, I've never read an HR, and more so a Christian HR, that went into such depth of drug addiction and how hard it is for users to stop. Elizabeth Camden is wonderful in using actual historical events and building a story from it. It gives the story a solid founda
Ruth
This was a fascinating look at a very dark period in American history, which I don't think I've ever seen or heard about in popular media, except in a passing, romanticized way in Sherlock Holmes stories. This book takes the insidious evil that was widespread opium addiction and weaves it into a wonderful story of American hope and new beginnings.

I'm not a fan of Christian fiction or romances, but I'm an open-minded sort of person, and apart from a few pages towards the end which I felt might ha
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Apr 23, 2013 Ibjoy1953 Hannabass rated it it was amazing
Having read two of Elizabeth Camden’s previous books, I was happy to be able to read Against the Tide, and especially since it was about Bane, a character I really enjoyed in The Lady of Bolton Hill. Ms. Camden created characters that were realistic, believable and developed well as the story unfolded. I grew to really love and enjoy the life of Bane and Lydia by the end of the story. And as with her first two books, the author clearly shows the importance of Gods love and grace, and how we shou ...more
Sara Bennett
I had read Elizabeth Camden's previous two books, The Lady of Bolton Hill and The Rose of Winslow Street, and I liked them both. This book came out a while back and it took my library a good bit to finally get a copy. I was excited to read it and see how it turned out and compared to the previous two books.

Lydia Pallas is an orphan whose family died tragically at sea. She grew up in and orphanage and has fought off the battle waged against her by poverty. She now works at this Navy place transla
Dawn
May 22, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Against the Tide is Elizabeth Camden’s third book. And the third book of hers which I absolutely adored. These three books aren’t written as a series, but they are somewhat connected. Against the Tide is actually a continuation of the story of a minor character from Camden’s first book, The Lady of Bolton Hill.

Set a decade later in 1891, Alexander Banebridge (who goes by the name Bane) has dedicated his life to destroying the opium trade he helped fortify before coming to Christ as a seventeen-
Suzanne Lilly
Aug 05, 2014 Suzanne Lilly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers of historical fiction and inspirational fiction
I am a shallow person.

I choose books by their cover.

There. I’ve put it out there for the world to know. If a cover doesn’t attract me, I don’t even bother to read the blurb.

The cover of Against the Tide by Elizabeth Camden immediately caught my attention. When I read the blurb, I downloaded the book and started reading it right away. I finished the same day. Other reviews have mentioned the author’s stunning way with words and I completely agree.

Against the Tide is a well-researched, captivating
Kelli
Oct 24, 2012 Kelli rated it did not like it
I thought the writing in the prologue was phenomenal! But once into the story, it gets super repetitive. Everything that goes through the main characters head, gets repeated and re-repeated. The story doesn't need fill-in thoughts, and for some reason the author writes them in.
Also the time period is completely forgotten. The scenes are written like an 80's crime drama. People didn't talk like these characters do in the 1800's. And I really didn't love the fact that Bane a follower of Jesus and
Hannah
Jan 11, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Such a great story! I loved the deep research that went into this, and I loved having Bane as the hero. Lydia's struggles with the sips of syrup reminded me of a couple people I've known who have discovered an unsuspected reliance on oxy after some sort of injury. I've actually got some old books that have the Mrs. Winslow's ad in the back.
One of my favorite spots was the mention of the jasmine and rose soaps from Kentucky...since I'd literally just put down the "Rose of Winslow Street" book!
Con
Cookielover
Jul 15, 2013 Cookielover rated it it was amazing
Whoa. I mean, whoa. this author has again knocked my socks off. This novel was amazing. the characters might as well have been in my room acting out the book because it was like I was there. the author wonderfully weaved fact and fiction and I rooted along with bane as he stuggled with his guilt and Lydia struggled with her addiction. this book was really unique and I loved it very much.
Alicia
Jan 04, 2015 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Re-read this because I adore this book! It's beautifully written and it's a unique and creative story. Alexander Banebridge has got to be one of my most favourite book characters ever- he's mysterious, passionate about stopping the opium trade, caring, and protective of the people he loves.

This is my favourite Elizabeth Camden novel so far! Deserves more than 5 stars :)
Abbi
Sep 21, 2012 Abbi rated it it was amazing
This author just keeps getting better and better!
Emily
Feb 11, 2017 Emily rated it it was amazing
So, so GOOD. I waited to write this review, because I just didn't have the WORDS after finishing it. Camden handled this novel so well. The opium trade and addictions, the villain, the romance----GAH. It was wonderful. I've been wondering about Bane ever since we were introduced, and she did not disappoint with him. I'm glad he realized that true redemption only comes from God, not our deeds. I enjoyed reading about Lydia, her work as a translator, and life in Boston. I wanted to smack the Admir ...more
  • No Safe Harbor (Edge of Freedom, #1)
  • Love's Reckoning (The Ballantyne Legacy, #1)
  • Unending Devotion (Michigan Brides, #1)
  • Words Spoken True
  • The Messenger
  • Her Good Name
  • Forsaken Dreams (Escape to Paradise, #1)
  • The Tutor's Daughter
  • Prize of My Heart (Sea Heroes of Duxbury)
  • Sixty Acres and a Bride (Ladies of Caldwell County, #1)
  • A Promise to Love (Michigan Northwoods, #2)
  • To Whisper Her Name (Belle Meade Plantation, #1)
  • A Change of Fortune (Ladies of Distinction, #1)
  • With Every Letter (Wings of the Nightingale, #1)
  • The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn
  • A Heart Revealed (Winds of Change, #2)

“was even personally acquainted with Admiral Fontaine was” 0 likes