Start by marking “The Shortest Journey” as Want to Read:
The Shortest Journey

The Shortest Journey (Mrs. Malory Mysteries #3)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Sheila Malory enjoys her visits to the West Lodge Nursing Home, where resident Mrs. Jankiewicz offers lively company and interesting gossip about their friends. Since the latest news has the wealthy widow Edith Rossiter's scheming daughter, Thelma, pressuring her to sign over a substantial inheritance against her wishes, Sheila suspects the worst when Mrs. Rossiter disappe ...more
Kindle Edition
Published June 2010 by Coffeetown Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Shortest Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shortest Journey

Jeanette
This is the second Mrs. Malory book I've read. And this one in particular- I almost gave it a 5. 4.5 star fully. Because besides the incredible psychological depth in such a short "space", this one was not at all like the run of the mill whodunnit. Was there a crime at all? And was I flummoxed at the ending! What a delight in store for me that I have so many of these delicious reads by Hazel Holt to go. Keep in mind, that I am not necessarily a cozy mystery or cozy family relationship setting re ...more
Clare O'Beara
This is a slow, drawn out crime story which follows the disappearance of an older lady from an expensive senior care home in the south of England. All the tale is concerned with conversations, bunches of flowers and why the young generation only want their elders' money.

I found no real sense of concern emanating from the main character, Mrs Malory, a widowed lady in the town of Tavistock. She appears to have plenty of time on her hands to potter about the garden and visit people in care homes,
Christine
Sheila Malory is an average middle-aged widowed woman living in the small English village of Taviscombe. Whenever there is a murder, a disappearance, or something that doesn’t quite add up, Mrs. Malory is on the scene casually asking questions and getting to the bottom of any puzzle. I adore this laid back cozy series and would love to have a real friend like Sheila. She is intelligent, kind and is always there for her friends and family and those in need. Much of the books are describing Sheila ...more
I am not a demanding cozy reader - entertain me for an afternoon and you get a 3 from me. While I enjoy Ms. Holt's other Mrs. Malory books this one left me with a profound case of "meh". I found the mystery to be tedious and the resolution a bit too neat. I did enjoy the slice of English life. Not a bad book, but not a good one, either.
Diane Wallis
Hazel Holt's tale is an appropriately paced nursing home mystery with some very accurately drawn characters and a bit of a surprise ending. Patricia Gallimore is the narrator and does an excellent job.
Sheila Mallory is the "sleuth"; a widow who divides her time between writing about 19th century novelists, gardening, good works in the neighbourhood which include visiting people in the nursing home and making scones for the Red Cross stall and tending to her two dogs and Siamese cat.
At five and
Kate
a charming little cozy, very relaxed in it's development. Not really a murder mystery, more of a slice of life.
Judy
The title on the book I read was just "the Shortest Journey". More appropriate because Mrs. Jankiewitz says the shortest journey is between life and death.
I loved this book. Considered 4 stars. (What book will ever get 4 stars from me. Perhaps I should be less critical. I loved the leisurely way the mystery unfolds, receding and then returning to Sheila Mallory's life. The hateful family members of Mrs. Rossiter are almost, but not quite, unbelievable. The twists at the end so satisfying.
Julie
This is my second reading of this. The first time I liked it but this time I liked it even more. Hazel Holt is very low-key, which I like. I specially liked that it was a happy ending and you don't often find that with mysteries. As always, I enjoy the everyday village life in Holt's books. Walking dogs on the beach, dealing with a friend's difficult elderly mother, taking part in village 'Bring and Buy's (I think that is what they are called - something like that anyway!)
Jane
Another good one. This involves the disappearance of an elderly lady from an elderly residence home. There is a wonderful surprise ending in this ne. Again she has such interesting characters. Her friends mother is the worst kind of snob. Her son is endearingly young and thoughtless. Otgher children not likable at all. And this one has many culprits to choose from and they all seem perfectly viable.
Deirdre
I quite enjoyed this book although not my favourite Mrs Malory. I also half guessed the final twist. However, like all the Mrs Malory books it was a cosy, comfortable read evoking a lovely peaceful lifestyle where even murder can't interrupt the reassuring round of cake sales, garden fetes and gossipy coffee mornings amongst a group of people who have all known each other since schooldays.
Josephine
This is actually one of my favorite "Mrs. Malory mysteries"; I appreciate the way Holt includes the older residents of the area as real fleshed out characters--Mrs. Malory Wonders Why is another with an elderly character I lik. (hopefully not too much of a spoiler) This one is based on the precept "True Love can come at any age."
Susanne49
This book should actually be #3 in the series, not #4. In this book, her son Michael has not yet finished law school, and Jilly has not yet had the baby (both have occurred in Mrs. Mallory and the Festival of Murder - supposedly book #3). Enjoyable book - and I did not guess the ending.
I enjoyed this book. My only thought is that the interactions that Mrs. Malory has with the permanent characters seemed repetitive from the other book I read. I think I just need to read them further apart in time. I do intend to read more.
Virginia Walter
A pleasant British cozy mystery. Mrs. Mallory is a writer and accidental sleuth living in a small English town. In this book, she discovers the whereabouts of a woman who disappears from the local nursing home under mysterious circumstances.
Alice
Another good British cozy. Mrs. Malory quietly solves the mystery of her elderly friend's disappearance from a retirement home. The book keeps you engaged while gently leading to a surprise ending. This is another good series!
Kribu
I do like these books. This one took me a bit longer to get into, but once I did, I enjoyed it quite a bit, just like the previous ones in the series. And I have to admit I didn't expect the twist in the end.
I.

didn't like this one as much as the previous 2. taking too long to get to the murder and the main characters all blending, will try the next as I like the writing and the Dectective
Nikki
Mrs. Malory investigates the disappearance of an elderly friend. Quite enjoyable village atmosphere.
Mom
It could have been a good short story. There wasn't enough to make it a novel, not even a short novel.
Lucy Janowiecki
I was really surprised at the end of this book ... twice.
Helen
good cozy, satisfying end
Margalit_lev
Margalit_lev marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Sabrina The Book Lover
Sabrina The Book Lover marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Audrey
Audrey is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2015
Hstrait
Hstrait marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Vow of Silence (Sister Joan Mystery, #1)
  • A Tale of Two Biddies  (League of Literary Ladies #2)
  • Death Comes to London (Kurland St. Mary Mystery series, #2)
  • Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)
  • Pagan Spring (A Max Tudor Mystery, #3)
  • Death of a Kingfisher (Hamish Macbeth, #28)
  • Boiled Over
  • Murder at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #1)
  • Death Notes (Inspector Wexford, #11)
  • The Silence of the Library (Cat in the Stacks, #5)
  • The Players Come Again (A Kate Fansler Mystery #10)
  • Lending a Paw (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery #1)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Turns the Tide
  • Pearls and Poison
  • Never Laugh As a Hearse Goes By (Penny Branigan #5)
  • Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #3)
  • Living Proof (Charles Resnick, #7)
Hazel Holt is a British novelist. She studied at King Edward VI High School for Girls in Birmingham, England, and then Newnham College, Cambridge. She went on to work at the International African Institute in London, where she became acquainted with the novelist Barbara Pym, whose biography she later wrote. She also finished one of Pym's novels after Pym died.

Holt wrote her first novel in her six
More about Hazel Holt...

Mrs. Malory Mysteries (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Mrs. Malory Investigates (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #1)
  • The Cruellest Month (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #2)
  • Mrs. Malory and the Festival Murders
  • Mrs. Malory: Detective in Residence
  • Mrs. Malory Wonders Why
  • Mrs. Malory: Death of a Dean
  • Mrs. Malory and the Only Good Lawyer
  • Death Among Friends
  • Mrs. Malory and the Fatal Legacy
  • Mrs. Malory and the Lilies that Fester
Mrs. Malory Investigates (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #1) The Cruellest Month (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #2) Mrs. Malory Wonders Why Mrs. Malory and the Fatal Legacy My Dear Charlotte