Start by marking “Space, Time and Nathaniel” as Want to Read:
Space, Time and Nathaniel

Space, Time and Nathaniel

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Space: T - the inhabitant of a machine that was built by an ancient race of non-humans - had just one duty, to totally destroy a planet from our solar system!

Time: Every day, Rodney Furnell awoke to a groaning bedspring. Every day he leaned over and gently kissed his wife's forehead. Every day, an audience laughed at him!

Nathaniel: He is told a story about the ultimate bur
Paperback
Published July 1st 2002 by House of Stratus (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Space, Time and Nathaniel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space, Time and Nathaniel

Fred
Sep 30, 2013 Fred rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice collection by Aldiss, maybe the most criminally underrated uk sf novelist here in the states. His early work is on display here and there are some gems, including my favorite, "Psyclops".
What distinguishes Aldiss' work at this early stage is the flashes of experimentalism and psychological insights he would later become well known for. Here in approx. 1956 Aldiss is already resisting genre conventions and cliche character choices. Much like contemporary John Christopher, Aldiss embodies
Simon
Apr 14, 2010 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, sf
This was my first short story collection by Aldiss I have read although I have read quite a few of his novels. It is a collection of his earliest published tales, all of which were first published in the mid 50's. They definitely have an early Aldiss feel to them. Often they feel rushed and lack the finesse that he would later aquire as a writer.

Thematically they are hugely varied with some very interesting ideas and concepts explored. Tales of alien beings, future wars, satires, dystopias, apoc
Jim
Jul 18, 2015 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ve recently found a list of books I read almost thirty years ago, some are still clear in my mind (The Chrysalids, Brave New World..) and other like this one I have completely forgotten.
Simon Clare
Apr 09, 2016 Simon Clare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fifteen short stories from one of my favourite writers, every single one of which inspired thoughts that lasted longer than the stories themselves. Allow yourself some time to savour and mull these over.
Erik Graff
Aug 31, 2008 Erik Graff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aldiss fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Upon arriving in Oslo, Norway to visit Mother upon graduation from seminary, I hastened to find a source for English language books. Fortunately, there was a small paperback resale shop nearby with several racks containing a disproportionate number of science fiction books published by American and English companies. Aldiss I knew already, so this collection of his early fiction was a clear, early choice. Later, however, as I'd read one after another, returning them for more, I got into unknown ...more
Terence Park
John Bradney
Jun 19, 2013 John Bradney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few stories from this are still lodged in my head, but the most memorable bit for me is actually Brian's prologue, where he talks about the increasing acceptance of Sci-fi as a genre.
Ian Duerden
Ian Duerden rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Miguel
Miguel rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Odreka Amira
Odreka Amira marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
John Allan
John Allan marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Mike Lowndes
Mike Lowndes rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Dimeji Owolabi
Dimeji Owolabi marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
James
James rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Duncan
Duncan added it
Dec 20, 2015
Willow Starkgaryen
Willow Starkgaryen marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Christopher Alan
Christopher Alan rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
CinnamonHopes
CinnamonHopes marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Zahra Benarab
Zahra Benarab rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Harlan Finchley
Harlan Finchley rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Trevor
Trevor marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Arvan Pritchard
Arvan Pritchard marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Pseudonyms: Jael Cracken, Peter Pica, John Runciman, C.C. Shackleton, Arch Mendicant, & "Doc" Peristyle.

Brian Wilson Aldiss is one of the most important voices in science fiction writing today. He wrote his first novel while working as a bookseller in Oxford. Shortly afterwards he wrote his first work of science fiction and soon gained international recognition. Adored for his innovative liter
More about Brian W. Aldiss...