Start by marking “The Emancipation of Robert Sadler: The Powerful True Story of a Twentieth-Century Plantation Slave” as Want to Read:

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Over fifty years after the Emancipation Proclamation, Robert Sadler was sold into slavery at the age of five--by his own father. This is the no-holds-barred tale of those dark days, his quest for freedom, and the determination to serve others born out of his experience. It is a story of good triumphing over evil, of God's grace, and of an extraordinary life of ministry. An...more
Kindle Edition
Published January 1st 2012 by Bethany House Publishers (first published June 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Emancipation of Robert Sadler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emancipation of Robert Sadler

Finale
Upon completion of this book, many thoughts began to swirl around in my mind. I made sure to take the time to thank Jehovah for all the blessing He has bestowed upon me. In my prayers, I thanked Him for placing me in this era, free from these atrocities.

The harsh reality of slavery has escaped many in this country, and remains a taboo topic. We tend to brush this subject and its realities under the rug for many reasons, depending on the audience. Most believe slavery ended when the Emancipation...more
Nandi Crawford
One of the most saddest yet happiest books I have read. To think this man endured such depravity at at such a young age yet come out of that and do great things in the name of the Lord is a blessing as well of the providence of God. What a blessed book. Bless Amazon's Kindle for having it for free. I read it in a few hours.
April
First, although I think this book should have been put in the category of christian literature instead of general nonfiction, it was still very worth the read. Being that as a child my mother drug me to many many pentecostal meetings the christian content didn't throw me as it may others who have never been exposed to a charismatic christian. That being said, the life that Robert Sadler lived will cause you to weep openly and realize why the souths racial problems run so deep even to this day.
In...more
Jenny Karraker
This was a very hard book to read because of the abuse these black people endured at the hands of white farmers in the early twentieth century. Often I just cried. Having family in Anderson, South Carolina and remembering that the movie Radio took place also in Anderson, that part of the world is a bit off the beaten track, and I'm not surprised that these things happened there. It was a relief when Robert finally escaped and the story began to turn around. His struggles to live consistently was...more
Mike Moore
enjoyed this book a lot.....very interesting first hand account of the life of a black man from his youth in the early 1900's in the South working on a plantation as a "slave" ( the reality that a certain form of "slavery" continued to exist in the South even 40 to 50 yrs post-Civil War) until his later life when he becomes a traveling preacher and explores his deep spiritual connection to Christianity. Robert Sadler tells his story to Marie Chapian as she expertly creates a vivid picture of thi...more
Pegg
A heartbreaking tale. Sold into slavery at the age of five by his own father, Robert Sadler's life is one hardship after another. Separated from his sisters, he finds himself alone working in "the big house." What this little boy endured is beyond imagination.

A serious read. Escaped from the inhuman atrocities of his early years, Robert finds himself adrift in a free world he can't understand. Ignorant, scared, lonely, without hope, he becomes involved in illegal activities and escapes death by...more
Wendy Rebecca Alexander
One of the more powerful and life changing books I have ever read. A moving memoir which will inspire anyone to live a fuller life.
Julie
Jun 18, 2012 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Julie by: Colleen Linder
What an inspirational book! Despite all the abuse and oppression Robert, his family and his people suffered, he was able to show love and forgiveness through his faith and love for Jesus. The fact that his faith was nurtured by those who were also oppressed and abused was such an inspiration to me and reminded me that no matter who we are, no matter what situations we are experiencing or how insignificant we may feel, God knows and loves us all, even those who are considered "the least" in this...more
Ricky Callahan Jr.
I very much enjoyed this book. Once I started the first chapter, it was virtually impossible for me to put down. The story of Robert Sadler's time enslaved is just baffling to me, considering that he was sold(!) AFTER the end of Slavery. In my opinion, the "Ministry" section of the book got a bit preachy, but I guess that's to be expected from someone who lives the majority of their adult life as a preacher and devout follower of God. Still, I'd definitely recommend to anyone looking for an enga...more
Joyce Oliver stahle
Wow! This book touched me in a way that no other book besides the Bible.
It is hard for to imagine being sold into by my own father. Aren't Daddy's supposed to love and protect their children?
What a message of love, grace and forgiveness is found in this book.
I cried along with Robert when he lost his mom and sister.
Praise God Robert was able to rise above it. The Lord used him to touch others.
Never give up on anyone. Reach out. Care.
Ryan Adair
This book was both tragic and amazing.

The first half of the book was so hard to read—pulling back the curtain and giving a glimpse into what slavery was like from an inside perspective. Absolutely horrific. Robert Sadler was sold into slavery when he was just five years old—twice!—and by his own father!—and in 1916!

And as if the first half of the book wasn't enough in its own way, the second half was equally as good, having to do with his freedom from slavery and entering the ministry. Robert'...more
Julie Gillies
Compelling, heartbreaking, inspiring. Unfathomably sold into slavery at the tender age of five by his abusive father, Robert Sadler endures nearly 10 years in unbearable circumstances. Escaping to freedom at 14, he is ill-equipped to deal with life and roams from place to place, and eventually turns to a life of substance abuse and crime.

Then, Robert meets Jesus, who heals his heart and utterly transforms this uneducated young man into a mighty man of God. Robert travels the nation ministering p...more
Brianna Urquidi
I loved the first half of this book. A young black child who's views of love and life are distorted overcomes a life of hate, slavery, and loss and learns love and faith. The second half felt rushed, and full of gaps, and a little bit preachy. But I've never read a better biography.
Xavier
One of my favorite stories of triumph and the spirit of an individual that grew up knowing nothing but hate and turning it into a great love of people.
Libby
The Emancipation of Robert Sadler is not going on the list of my favorite books. The story of a slave post emancipation is distressing and needs to be told. The part of the book that was auto-biographical I really appreciated. It was the section on ministry that really bugged me. At one point, Sadler claims that God told him to marry Jackie, a woman who was not a believer. In his story it worked out and she came to Christ, but I have a problem with a minister claiming that God spoke to him somet...more
Anita
This book was an eye-opener. I had no idea that slavery continued on for so long after the war. Well written and moving.
Conor
Leave 12 years a slave on the shelf and read this instead. Powerful book.
Hugh Harmon
I couldn't put it down. As a transplant to South Carolina with some vague familiarity with the places mentioned and acutely aware of the Dixie sensibilities that still exist towards some African Americans I found the book to be a candid explication of the peculiar struggle that the enslaved feels as they try to sort out allegiances in a context of suspicion from all quarters at the very moment of liberation.
Trish Boese
4* I enjoyed this biography of Robert Sadler who was sold by his father into slavery in 1917. The first part of the book is tragically sad with Robert being sold and mistreated. The middle part describes his escape and how illiterate lost and confused he was as a free man. In the last part of the book Robert describes his ministry and the many amazing miracles the Lord worked through him.
Dana Leipnitz
Excellent book....great writer and incredible story!
Holli
A very powerful story of a young boy sold into slavery at age 5 in 1917 and his journey thru life. Heartbreaking tales of the loss of people around him, yet he always maintained a positive attitude. Good book.
Sheri
This was a wonderful, heart wrenching story about a young boy who was sold into slavery by his own father. Very touching story, and many parts were horrifying to read what he went through!!
Warren
A very interesting biography of what it was like to be a slave in the United States, even after it was against the law. The theology is pretty far off the mark so it falls a bit short there.
Josiah
Insane to think that my Grandparents were alive during this time of slavery and brutality. The South was a dirty poohole for many many years after the Emancipation Proclamation.
Urban Mama
A book that reminds us that the unthinkable can still happen. It did and still does. Just may look a little different nowadays but this book is a well written poignant reminder.
Michelle
A book recommended to me by my mother-in-law. . .sad and hard to comprehend such a life as the life of Robert Sandler and those, like him, who were sold into slavery.
Karen L.
This man suffered as a slave a half a century after the emancipation proclamation. He asked God for help, God heard this story shows the miracle of his life and freedom.
Wendy C
Got this for $5 at Family Christian somewhere. To use the consistent description of this book from reviews-you cannot put it down. Very good, real story.
Brenda
Very good read. I learned that child-like faith is possible and there is tremendous power available to those who demonstrate it.
Sharon
I wasn't aware of slavery in the 1900's. This is a remarkable true story.
  • That Bird Has My Wings: The Autobiography of an Innocent Man on Death Row
  • Black Culture and Black Consciousness: Afro-American Folk Thought from Slavery to Freedom
  • The Signifying Monkey: A Theory of African-American Literary Criticism
  • Under an Afghan Sky: A Memoir of Captivity
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • The Ditchdigger's Daughters: A Black Family's Astonishing Success Story
  • Rosa Lee: A Mother and Her Family in Urban America
  • Is Marriage for White People?: How the African American Marriage Decline Affects Everyone
  • Capitalism and Slavery
  • Death of Innocence: The Story of the Hate Crime That Changed America
  • The Scent of Water: Grace for Every Kind of Broken
  • Brother West: Living and Loving Out Loud, A Memoir
  • My Life with the Taliban
  • Nat Turner
  • Instinct: Unleashing Your Natural Drive for Ultimate Success
  • Black Indians: A Hidden Heritage
  • The Siege of Washington: The Untold Story of the Twelve Days That Shook the Union
  • American Tapestry: The Story of the Black, White, and Multiracial Ancestors of Michelle Obama
Of Whom the World Was Not Worthy His Thoughts Toward Me Angels in Our Lives The Secret Place of Strength Free to Be Thin