Start by marking “Keir” as Want to Read:
Keir

Read Book* *Different edition

Keir (Redemption #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  193 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
A demon waiting to die...
An outcast reviled for his discolored skin and rumors of black magic, Keirlan de Corizi sees no hope for redemption. Imprisoned beneath the palace that was once his home, the legendary 'Blue Demon of Adalucian' waits for death to finally free him of his curse. But salvation comes in an unexpected guise.

A woman determined to save him.
Able to cross s
ebook
Published May 7th 2012 (first published May 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Keir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keir

Marta Cox
Feb 06, 2016 Marta Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
This is a hard book to describe . It starts off almost fantasy like on a medieval type world without technology where the greatest fear is dark magic. Into this scenario is introduced a woman who clearly does not belong. Quin is a traveler from far away ( really far away!) searching for the fabled Blue Demon but what she discovers is a broken male who is anything but demonic. Keir is waiting to die but the red haired female just won't give up. Breaking him out of a cell is just the beginning as ...more
Lauri J Owen
Mar 08, 2012 Lauri J Owen rated it it was amazing
It will leave you sighing.

I had the pleasure of reading this book before it released, and what a treat that was! It starts in the darkness, and moves from darkness to light, from air to water, from despair to hope to despair, but leaves you with a smile on your face and a light in your heart.

I love Quin, the protag. She's amazing. And Keir - well - as you can see, he is someone I wouldn't mind spending an hour or two perking up as well.

Buy it. You'll read it twice - I promise.
Catherine
Jul 18, 2012 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I. Loved. This. Loved it. It's some of the best science fiction I've read in a while, with two incredibly different main characters who discover that they're not so different after all.

Yes, there are alien races, yes there are other planets, but deep down, what I love most about this book is that it's a book about people.

Keir has been ostracized his entire life because of his blue skin. Otherwise seemingly normal, Keir has been forced to hide in the shadows, scavenge for food, and fend off attac
J.C. Cassels
Jun 23, 2012 J.C. Cassels rated it it was amazing
From the first scene I was hooked. I found myself rooting for Keir before I knew his story. The author weaves a sympathetic tale following tortured souls through a life-changing adventure. Her light touch keeps the characters easily relatable without ever dissolving into schmaltz.

Quin is an engaging heroine whose self-assurance, ingenuity and desire to help others immediately establishes her as a heroine of epic proportions. Keir is almost an anti-hero whose journey of self-discovery takes him
Sophia
I read the original version of this story three years ago and loved it. Then I had the chance to read the sequel which captivated me as much as the first book. I had no idea there had been a revision, but was graciously offered an opportunity to read the newer version. Of course I snatched that up.

The story opens on a world where there is a human society that is still medieval in technology and in thinking. A world where a man who is different is thought to be demon spawn and treated as such. Ke
Natalie Wright
Jul 05, 2012 Natalie Wright rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
If you like sci fi, read this.
If you like romance, read this.
If you like to read well-written books, read this.

Full review coming soon.
Karen Bynum
Oct 13, 2012 Karen Bynum rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Keir was a fantastic read. The hero (Keir) and the heroine (Quin) had so much rich character development. Both of them were riddled with emotional--and physical--scarring; however, it was beautifully woven into the storyline to make them stronger people. Together they were able to overcome their insecurities.

Keir is packed with action, adventure, intrigue and spicy love scenes...but one of my favorite things was the role reversal. Keir was the inexperienced one, and I loved that
Marlene
Apr 14, 2013 Marlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

Keir is an absolutely stunning work of science fiction romance. when I say stunning I mean that in the best possible sense of the word. When I finished I just sat staring for several minutes, because I couldn't quite pull myself away from the story's spell.

Tarquin Secker comes to Adalucien pursuing the legend of the "Blue Demon". In the bowels of the royal prison, she finds an emaciated young man on the brink of death, with tattoos and rags covering his blu
Andra
Jun 04, 2012 Andra rated it it was amazing
I've just finished reading this one. I have never read a lot of science Fiction. Honestly though I love watching Sci-Fi, I was never moved to pick up a book and read it.

This was an amazing book. Pippa has done an amazing job of developing characters and the worlds they travel to. I could see clearly the places and people she described. Rarely have I read a book that made, me laugh, cry, my heart race etc. This book was beautifully written and a wonderful story.

If this is where Pippa is startin
Chantal Halpin
May 09, 2012 Chantal Halpin rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually a sci-fi fan, but Keir may have changed all that. Thankfully it's not too heavy on the techie side and there was chemistry from the off from the 'Blue Demon' and the 'Red Witch' lol! I loved Quinn - she was absolutely brilliant and is now one of my fave kick-a$$ heroines.

This is an epic adventure story with space travel and magic, heart break and pain. There is real character growth too. The writing is just beautiful and made everything very visual. It was a thoroughly entertaini
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)

Keir is a fast paced tension filled book. It is Science Fiction Romance but the romance element is allowed to develop as the story progresses. The same is true for the character development. Both Keir and Quinn continue to develop as the story progresses. What both are like at the beginning of the book is very different from what they are like at the end.

Keir is set in a very complex world with a lot of back-story required for the story to work. The plot development allows each to come to light
Marsha
Dec 04, 2015 Marsha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5 Stars)
Is it just me or does the guy on the cover of this book look like the artist formerly known as Prince? Hmm, does it look like he's been soaked in purple rain? (Lol) First and foremost, I need to confess that while I am a huge fan of Sci Fi movies and and t.v. shows, for some reason I don't like to read it; yet, I will admit I was quite entertained with "Keir."

After being ostracized, abused and tattooed by the small minded people of his village and his very own father, Keir prays for t
The Bookend Family
Originally when I started reading this book, it felt very much like the beginning of an epic fantasy until I got to the space and time travel and it switched gears to being more sci-fy. I think this may have been a bit of a let down for me as I was expecting one type of story and then realized it was something completely different. However, the narrative still very much had a feeling of fantasy which I thoroughly enjoyed. The characters were bright and fresh even with all their battle scars and ...more
Rachel Smith
Full disclosure up front: I'm an SFR author and I was given an ARC for review, because I loved this book so much the first time I read it before I got to know Pippa as a fellow SFR author.

This is an expanded and revised edition of Keir, and WOW! Totally worth the wait! The book enchanted me the first time I read it. This time it wouldn't let me go. Every single issue I had with it the first time around--not quite long enough, the Metraxi connection not clear enough, not enough hints of what all
Raul Delaplaya
May 17, 2012 Raul Delaplaya rated it really liked it
A friend made me read this. It wasn't what I'd expected. It was so much better. It reminded me of a Doctor Who adventure, only there wasn't a TARDIS and the Doctor was a girl. It really moved. I'll look for more from this author.
Melissa
Nov 27, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one sitting. The story was compelling and I couldn't wait to see what happened to Keir and Quin. Each were broken and unable to trust others, yet they found a way to connect and help each other. This story was almost two stories in one. In the first part Keir is saved and finds himself a new man, then they take a look into the past and it sends them off on another adventure.

Ms. Jay kept me interested with her exciting world and fascinating characters. I hope we see more of K
Kerrianne Coombes
Jul 19, 2012 Kerrianne Coombes rated it it was amazing
Totally loved this book. So wonderfully written I just love the pull of a tortured hero. BRAVO!
Cant wait for another Pippa Jay book!
Candice Kamencik
Jul 19, 2015 Candice Kamencik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start off by saying that I really enjoyed this book. It had a very nice "traditional" scifi feel right from the start, and was very engaging.

The major draw of this novel was the characters, hands down. It was clear from the beginning that the author had clear plans for the main pair, and took the time to develop them slowly. As such, both were multi-faceted, with clear individual personalities.

While there was romance involved in this book, it was secondary to the plot itself, which was ni
Corinne
Jul 29, 2015 Corinne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
I began reading Keir with no expectations, despite having read and loved a novella from the same author. I knew that Keir was Pippa's debut work, so I went into it with an less critical approach for that reason. What I got was a manuscript that read like it was written by a seasoned author. Pippa has a knack for painting scenes with descriptions that provide good details without floundering in it. Her characters, even the supportive cast, are strong, can stand on their own and are presented with ...more
Shaheen
Apr 05, 2013 Shaheen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keir is Pippa Jay's fist published novel, and I am hoping she's got more in store for us because I really liked it! Spunky and fun, the book follows Keir and Quin on an exciting planet-hopping adventure as they hunt down Quin's ancient enemies and investigate Keir's mysterious past.

Keir begins strongly, introducing readers to the medieval-esque society of Adalucienwhere Keir is imprisoned. Starved, weak and depressed, he is on the brink of death when he is joined in his prison by a strange woman
Wendy
May 10, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
A broken, emaciated man lies in the shadows of a sewer, trapped behind iron gates. Persecuted every day of his life for the color of his skin, Keirlan de Corizi is taunted even in his last, lonely hours. He wishes for death to claim him. Death denied him. When an odd young woman named Quin is tossed into his cell, he is confounded by her light regard for her situation. She claims she can get out of anywhere and promises to take him with her. At the moment, he doesn’t have enough energy left in h ...more
Sophia
Now this is what a Sci-Fi Romance should really be like. For 266 pps, I was immersed into a nearly unrecognizable world, races, societies, adventures, and in-depth characterizations, yet it felt familiar too.

Keir, known as the Blue Demon of Adalucien, has given up and just wants to die until a feisty red-headed female gets tossed into his cell with him announcing that she's going to break them out. And break them out she does, in a manner of speaking and a little help from him. Quin, the female
Mei
Jun 26, 2015 Mei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
I'm really happy to having read this book!

I always enjoy a good and interesting fantasy/SF romance.
... even if tis didn't start as a romance! :)

I loved the heroine, Quin, even if I didn't understand why she has to keep so much secrets from Keir.

At the beginning I could understand, but after not so much!

Keir was also a good hero. He really has a very good reason to be suspicious and afraid. After everything that was done to him! And by his own father!!! OMG!!!

I'm looking forward to the second b
Teresa
Sep 11, 2015 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Aliens, time travel, planet hopping, fear, growth, acceptance, redemption, romance.... This story has all that and more. Quin, searching for the one who destroyed her life finds Keir in a prison cell, beaten and wanting to die. Keir has been ostracized nearly his whole life due to the color of his skin(blue). Quin saves him, nearly costing her her own life. The story reads like real life. Things happen that seem to have no bearing on the storyline, but they do build the characters. While I would ...more
Laurel
Jun 23, 2012 Laurel rated it it was amazing
This is a story of tortured souls, love and redemption. On a strange world Quin, a human traveller who moves among the stars on a quest for a lost friend, discovers Keir, an outcast in his society. All Keir wants to do is die, believing himself condemned and cursed, while Quin soon wishes to save him, having seen a glimpse of who he really is.

From this starting point follows an adventure that will warm science fiction and romance readers alike. As one hops between planets with this delightful pa
Marlene Relja
Feb 28, 2013 Marlene Relja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction romance readers
Recommended to Marlene by: Karen Bynum
I didn't expect to like this book because I am more of a sci-fi/paranormal romance (heavy on the romance) reader. But this story sucked me in from the beginning. The romance is slow to develop but once it's there it's there with a bang! And ohhh it's so sweet. It had me smiling the whole time. And the end... holy moley. I was completely shocked and then I cried!

Oh and the sci-fi part is fabulous. It has everything lovers of science fictions want: Interesting worlds and alien cultures, cool weap
Imogene Nix
Sep 03, 2012 Imogene Nix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper
I loved this book. From the first moment it hooked me with the tale of despair that was the life of Keirlan De Corizi. Then Tarquin Secker (Quin) came along. Recognising Keir as broken, sick and ready to give in, yet somehow he was prepared to save her.

For me there it was.

Both are broken characters in their own ways, but it is what pulls them together that makes this book stand out from the rest.

Buy this book. Read it. It is so fabulous that it has already made it's way to my keeper shelf.
Vagabond Vahn
Jul 24, 2015 Vagabond Vahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keir is interesting to describe. It’s billed as Sci-Fi Romance, though it has elements of Fantasy. Romantic Sci-Fantasy… It begins as expected of a Traditional Fantasy novel, though hints are dropped that all is not as it seems. Then it is solidly Science Fiction before blending the two and introducing Romance. That’s right, I read a romance novel – and I liked it. Moving on…

The Good: The two main characters, Keir and Quin, have strong personalities and motivations. This stems from well thought
Mary Mattson
Jun 10, 2015 Mary Mattson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kier is on deaths doorstep in the dungeon, when a woman is tossed in his cell with him. She’s totally pissed. She introduces herself as Tarquin Secker, and. she’s busting out and says she’ll take Kier with her. People call Kier “The Blue Demon” and believe he is evil. His own father had runes and symbols carved into his skin when he was 6. Because of this he hates to be touched and hides under cloth strips wrapped around his body.
What follows is Kiers and Quins escape and their building friendsh
Beth
Tome Tender is Hosting a Promo Post for Keir September 15, 2013.
For more reviews check out Tome Tender's Book Blog or find us on Facebook.
 photo 3d90fbae-beef-4ecf-942c-548f79c0a58a_zps8343b44f.jpg
Sci-Fi Romance: Keir book giveaway 3 8 May 08, 2013 07:29AM
  • Sovran's Pawn (The Black Wing Chronicles, #1)
  • Prophecy (Prophecy, #1)
  • The Key (Project Enterprise, #1)
  • Celestial Seduction (1Night Stand, #17)
  • Wreck of the Nebula Dream
  • Greenshift (From the World of Ambasadora)
  • My Name Is A'yen (A'yen's Legacy #1)
  • Caught in Amber
  • Ghost in the Machine (Corwint Central Agent Files Book 1)
  • Her Cyborg Awakes (Diaspora Worlds, #1)
  • Conspiracy (The Iron Admiral, #1)
  • Jaq's Harp (Future Tales, #1)
  • In the Devil's Nebula (The Phoenix Adventures, #2)
  • Rebels and Lovers (Dock Five Universe, #4)
  • Fortune's Hero (Soldiers of Fortune, #1)
  • Unacceptable Risk
  • Reckless Rescue (Barren Planet Romance, #1)
  • Chain Reaction (8th Wing, #2)
After spending twelve years working as an Analytical Chemist in a Metals and Minerals laboratory, Pippa Jay is now a stay-at-home mum who writes scifi and supernatural stories to engage the emotions. Somewhere along the way a touch of romance crept into her work and refused to leave. In between torturing her plethora of characters, she spends the odd free moment looking after her chickens, punishi ...more
More about Pippa Jay...

Redemption (3 books)
  • Keir's Fall (Redemption, #2)
  • Keir's Shadow (Redemption, #3)