Start by marking “Humoristas” as Want to Read:
Humoristas

Humoristas

3.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
La galería que he reunido en este libro es una extraña colección de genios, fracasados, borrachos, inadaptados sociales, tullidos e idiotas con un don. Tienen en común sólo el deseo, y la capacidad, de hacer reír a un gran número de personas. En esta serie de libros que reúne intelectuales, creadores y héroes, creo que los cómicos son los más valiosos. El mundo es un valle ...more
Published February 2012 by Ático de los Libros (first published October 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Humoristas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humoristas

Kate
Feb 27, 2012 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what to say about this one. Johnson presents a series of short biographies about people he considers the greatest Western humorists. He also introduces a thesis -- that all humor either stems from order or chaos -- and attemps to prove that point through the work of his selected funnymen. (And they are all men, btw.) Little mini-biographies arranged around a central theme are actually a great pleasure: you learn just enough to stay interested, you're given a lens through which to co ...more
Sergiu Pobereznic
Jun 10, 2015 Sergiu Pobereznic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of biographical vignettes about several humorists in the western world such as Hogarth, Rowlandson and Coward to name but a few.
There are some funny anecdotes, he analyses stand-up comedy, one liners and much more. His storyline manages to weave its way through countless more people than are listed in the book's blurb.
By the end I was quite interested in doing some research of my own.
An interesting and quick read.
Sergiu Pobereznic (author)
amazon.com/author/sergiupobereznic
Paul
Paul Johnson's Humorists: Brief character sketches of his select few standout funny men--all British or American--big names and small, fools and geniuses, wits and wretches all. Loved the "A Living, Talking Gargoyle" chapter on G. K. Chesterton but always love me some GKC. Where but in casual passing are Chaucer and Shakespeare mentioned? What of Pope and Swift?

Two tragic challenges for both comedians and humans alike:

"In Groucho's moral universe (and all great comics have one), the destructive
AticoLibros
Mar 04, 2012 AticoLibros rated it it was amazing
Shelves: atico
«Johnson es un escritor con un don genuino. La habilidad de transformar vastas extensiones de la historia en una narrativa absorbente le asegura público durante años.»
THE NEW YORK TIMES

«El talento de Johnson contando historias vívidas se combina con un asombroso dominio de grandes y complejos temas y con una inagotable capacidad de convertirlas en algo comprensible y absorvente.»
LOS ANGELES TIMES BOOK REVIEW

«Johnson teje de forma magistral un hilo narrativo entre estas figuras, muchas de las cua
Mariano Hortal
Publicado en http://lecturaylocura.com/humoristas/

Una de mis películas favoritas es el musical Cantando bajo la lluvia (1952) dirigido por Stanley Donen y el propio Gene Kelly, protagonista de la inolvidable escena que da título a la no menos inolvidable cinta. Tiene tantas escenas memorables que sería difícil quedarse solo con una.

De hecho, me quería centrar en una de ellas que considero un paradigma metanarrativo de lo que cuesta hacer humor, conseguir que la gente se ría. Para los que no sepa
Michael
This book is a collection of short biographical sketches about notable humorists -- many of whom I had never thought of as humorists, e.g., Benjamin Franklin, Dr. Johnson, and G.K. Chesterton. I found Paul Johnson’s analysis and insights highly perceptive as usual. And the sketches are short introductions that give you a taste of the individual's life; for the full meal you'll need to consult a biography. I was also impressed by the author’s diction and vocabulary: I often had to scramble for a ...more
Mary Blye
Jun 15, 2015 Mary Blye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think I'd like this book so I began by skimming. By the time I realized how fabulous it is, I was nearly halfway through. I savored all the rest, written by a great and very knowledgable author, learned a lot and had fun. Now I have to start all over at the beginning and absorb what I missed by skimming
Gary
Dec 03, 2012 Gary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I love almost everything Paul Johnson has written. I learned several things about characters, including ...

• William Hogarth
• Laurel and Hardy
• Thomas Rowlandson
• G. K. Chesterton
• Chaplin

Most of Johnson books are about major historic events or personalities. This book was about people from the arts which is not really my area of interest and certainly not my area o
Robin
Aug 21, 2015 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary of historical figures who have been funny. A lot of the emphasis was on people's visual wit (cartoons) rather than verbal wit. Though there were interesting examples and anecdotes, there was little actual analysis of why the humorists were funny or how their life influenced their humor
Inert1
Aug 07, 2011 Inert1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, nonfiction, own
Humorists is a very pleasant read. The introduction, explaining humor, laughter, and comedy, makes the book worthwhile by itself. However, it seems that Johnson is trying to do something that is perhaps left untried. He creates some broad categories that are useful in understanding the subjects' humor, and he gives some hilarious examples of the humor. (The Dickens examples are particularly good.) Yet, I did not fully understand what warranted some of the characters' inclusion in the book, altho ...more
Eddie Howden
Not bad. The author has this elitist air about him which I found extremely irritating.
Grace
Jul 29, 2014 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
fascinating
Chrisanne
Dec 23, 2014 Chrisanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
3.5 maybe. Adept analysis. Definitely made me want to bone up on Chesterton silent film comics.
Glen
Dec 03, 2013 Glen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul Johnson always writes captivating stories. Several of the chapters in this book very fascinating as they delved into the lives of a colorful cast of humorists and explain the basic art forms used by those who evoke laughter.

A couple of the chapters were less compelling, almost having a Freudian feel to them. But I did find the book a good and informative read. The analysis is notable for its historical breath, scope of genres and collection of an unusual collection of personalities.
Andrew
Sep 08, 2012 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Humorists is a step down for Johnson after his engaging works on Creators and Heroes (and, I believe, Intellectuals, which I have not yet read). I still enjoyed getting to know many of these famous and not-so famous greats, but the prose wandered more, and his characters' sexual oddities seemed to occupy vastly more of Johnson's attention than they deserved. Still, he got me to watch two great Chaplin movies (Gold Rush and The Kid), for which I am grateful.

Karl Rove
Anything by the great British writer Paul Johnson is worthy ready. Anything. This is an idiosyncratic book about humor and those who made it in their books, speeches, appearance, films, and plays. You may wonder at his choices (or omissions) but you will find yourself alternately chuckling, giggling, guffawing, snorting and just plain laughing as Johnson recounts the humorous antics of his picks as history’s greatest wits.
Rachel
May 12, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of those books that doesn't work for an audiobook. Considering at least 3 of the humorists (honestly, I lost count because I started tuning out the audiobook about 2/3rds through - never a good thing) in this book are artists, verbose descriptions of the humor in their drawings & etchings just doesn't cut it.
Shaon Castleberry
Feb 28, 2011 Shaon Castleberry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Humor tends to be very personal and cultural. It is interesting to see the choice of subjects used to illustrate the humorists - bare bottoms & pie throwing. The choices seem to be between "chaos" humor and one liners. But then I have always heard that comedy is hard.
David Ward
Jan 16, 2016 David Ward rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
Humorists: From Hogarth to Noel Coward by Paul Johnson (Harper Collins 2010) (920) contains mini-biographies of a number of humorists. None of these are my favorites, and none were of any real interest to me. My rating: 3/10, finished 8/24/11.
Vikas Datta
Feb 11, 2015 Vikas Datta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engaging analysis of set of the most magical wordsmiths of all times...
Richard
I enjoyed reading this book but the focus was too arbitrary. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the humorists Johnson chose to write about when there were so many he left out.
Joshua
May 01, 2013 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Some parts of this were quite good; however, some of the humorists indulged in various kinds of bawdy humor, which was not exactly pleasant reading.
Apr 05, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, so good. I thoroughly enjoyed the chapter on Benjamin Franklin. It gave great insight into a prominent historical figure.
Liz
May 16, 2012 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Camille
Camille marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Rachel Holtz
Rachel Holtz marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Alex Acton
Alex Acton is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2016
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
olay
olay marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Steve Hager
Steve Hager marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Dr. Johnson and Mr. Savage
  • The Great Books: A Journey through 2,500 Years of the West's Classic Literature
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Real American Heroes
  • Destructive Generation: Second Thoughts About the '60s
  • The Life and Times of Chaucer
  • The Rape of the Masters: How Political Correctness Sabotages Art
  • Dead Elvis: A Chronicle of a Cultural Obsession
  • The Great Tradition: Classic Readings on What it Means to Be an Educated Human Being
  • The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus & the Truth of the Traditional Gospels
  • Churchill and America
  • Portrait Inside My Head: Essays
  • Radical Son: A Generational Odyssey
  • Reading Between the Lines
  • Paris Out of Hand: A Wayward Guide
Paul Johnson works as a historian, journalist and author. He was educated at Stonyhurst School in Clitheroe, Lancashire and Magdalen College, Oxford, and first came to prominence in the 1950s as a journalist writing for, and later editing, the New Statesman magazine. He has also written for leading newspapers and magazines in Britain, the US and Europe.

Paul Johnson has published over 40 books incl
More about Paul Johnson...

“Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke, the leading nineteenth-century Prussian strategist, was said to have laughed only twice: once when told that a certain French fortress was impregnable, and once when his mother-in-law died. Martin Heidegger, whom some regard as the greatest philosopher of the twentieth century but many find incomprehensible, was even more sparing of his mirth. He is recorded to have laughed only once, at a picnic with Ernst Jünger in the Harz Mountains. Jünger leaned over to pick up a sauerkraut and sausage roll, and his lederhosen split with a tremendous crack. Heidegger let out a shout of glee, but immediately checked himself, “and his facial expression reverted to its habitual ferocity.” 0 likes