Power Questions - Build Relationships, Win New Business and Influence Others

Power Questions - Build Relationships, Win New Business and Influence Others

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  35 reviews
An arsenal of powerful questions that will transform every conversationSkillfully redefine problems. Make an immediate connection with anyone. Rapidly determine if a client is ready to buy. Access the deepest dreams of others. "Power Questions" sets out a series of strategic questions that will help you win new business and dramatically deepen your professional and persona...more
Hardcover, 1, 205 pages
Published February 7th 2012 by Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated (first published January 5th 2012)

Gregory Kaplan
This book has no redeeming value. The questions are obvious or insipid. The commentary is drivel. It refers to Socrates having "started his class" with a question?!? Please, authors, read a Platonic dialogue before you spout off about it. The author claims Chuck Colson is his "hero." OK, nothing wrong with second chances -- even though the man was craven and paranoid enough to co-author Nixon's enemy list in 1971 -- but that man had the nerve to sign a theological "justification" in 2002 that ga...more
Molly Eaton
Jun 22, 2012 Molly Eaton rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone in business or a profession, recent graduates,
Power Questions is a highly engaging and practical book. It shows you how to use thoughtful questions to improve your conversations and really connect with other people. There's no conceptual blah-blah or blatant promotion of the authors' businesses. Each chapter highlights a real story and a question--or series of questions--that helped transform the conversation and/or the other person. This is a little gem. Highly recommended. By the way I read the other reviews before I bought this and Kapla...more
Ashley
Best business/consulting book I've ever read. Great reminder to think outside the box when approaching everyday problems
Leslie
Sobel's questions generate opportunities to learn about people and what matters to them. Although most of them are familiar, we underuse them. As a consequence, we make false assumptions, lose the chance to meet others' needs, and don't achieve the quality and depth of relationships we'd like. He illustrates each of his questions well, and shows how to use them. The book is worth skimming and looking back at on occasion to remember that much of the point of talking is the other person - and to r...more
TeacherMrLoria
An easy read, the challenge in this book is whether or not the reader can make the changes suggested with regards to their sales approach. Another book promoting a question based sales approach, making the sales person more consultative, rather than product oriented sales pitching. The new sales person, sales reinvented, updated. Less used car salesman approach (all due respect), more challenger, question based, let the client do the talking style.
I would say that most of these questions are s...more
Chhun
I found that most of the questions are hard to put into practice. Actually, we cannot ask all the critical thinking questions without a proper time because people hate thinking something complicated. Instead, I found some questions are useful to ask myself. For example, what would you do if weren't afraid? Or in average, Children ask 300 questions to 500 a day, so how many questions have you asked today? I might use such questions for myself everytime I am afraid or feeling stucked.
Amy
Some questions to consider

I discovered this book from a brief description in a non profit better. like with most of these books the narratives are two dimensional and illustrate their case remarkably well. while I did have a few take a ways it is not a book I will return to for guidance.
Ryan
Very good giving guidance of asking meaningful, probing questions in any conversation. It demonstrates what simple question well asked can help understand people in great depth.Highly recommended to people who are tired of meaningless routine questions or who doesn't know what's the best question to ask.
Nick
I love this book! It’s a set of short chapters each with a question that will help you have smarter conversations, deals, and relationships. When someone asks you to “tell us a little bit about yourself,” counter with a question: What would you like to know about us? The result, the authors say, is a set of clues about what your interlocutors are really interested in. Other power questions include: what do you think? Are they ready to buy? How will this further your mission and goals? Do you min...more
Xuejin Chuang
Power questions does include some awesome questions. I particularly like the way the explain why this questions rocks. Why i gave it 3 stars? Some of their explanations doesn't resonate with me.

However, this book will definitely work extremely well with other books that provide a framework, such as Crucial Conversations, or perhaps a Business Consulting book so you know why these power (business) questions rock.
Mtbike40
This is an outstanding book that makes you think about how you can use questions to build relationships. Relationships are a foundation of our lives, yet we often enter into relationships by telling people about our selves and we rarely get to know the person below the outer surface. Strong and lasting relationships are build on a greater understanding of the other person. What is important to them? What do they really value?

Power questions helps you learn what types of questions to ask others a...more
Beth Ann Locke
I love this book! I think it is a must for every fundraiser to read to to have on the shelf at work for reference.

Fundraisers know that discovery is the most important part of the giving cycle - discovering what inspires and interests donors. This book offers question to employ - many you may already use and hundreds more to have at the ready. It is very thoughtful. Of course, these questions can be used for any relationship building.

I wrote a review on my blog: http://fundraiserbeth.com/2012/...more
Tom
This book has made me a fan of Andrew Sobel and his approach to C-Suite influence and selling. The book is a fairly straight-forward read and I like the organization of the book. I can say I have used his method with outstanding results recently. However, I do believe that the book could have been about half the size and would not have missed a beat. The book could have also been called "Power Listening", since listening, as the author states, is such a key part of asking the appropriate and mos...more
Kevin Kocis
What a great book for success in business. Clear and direct...a powerful tool.
Claire
A book of "power questions" and anecdotes that demonstrate their usage. A good book to practice your speed reading skills on. Each short chapter summarizes the question illustrated and how to use it.

Many questions are business oriented while others are personal or even suited to asking of yourself.

Handy for working on your conversational skills, getting to what matters in discussions.
Stephanie
Really 3.5 stars- some of the power questions have already proven useful. Love the concept of this book and the overarching idea that bringing goals & priorities of others to the forefront via questions will help you to better serve them...but some of the stories that helped illustrate how/when to use certain questions made me think, "get to the point already!" Best book on asking questions I've found so far, if anyone knows a better book, let me know.
Daniel
Livro recomendado para quem tem como ponto forte a capacidade de ouvir abertamente. Também recomendado para quem deseja seguir a carreira de coaching.

O livro traz realmente um "arsenal" de perguntas tão provocadoras quanto profundas. Conversas que utilizarem tais perguntas serão baseados em confiança e respeito.

O que aprendi deste livro é que tão importante quanto a pergunta certa, mais importante ainda é o momento certo para fazê-la.
Kathleen Donohue
I teach business analysis and project management, and people often ask me, "How do I get people to engage in the process?" I tell them the answer is to get them to shift - to take a pause and review their own thinking. "So how do I do that?" Ask great questions- ones for which people don't already have glib answers. This book will give you a good place to start.
Rolando Gill
This was a quick read with stories that illustrate the use of Power Questions. I took many notes and highlighted so much of the book. I love books like this that make me think and get me to take action. I have created tasks for myself to answer some of the questions just so I understand what I am asking of others. This book will make me better.
Pam
There are some interesting questions in here. They can be used in business, with family, and with friends. I've already used one in my new job and it had the exact reaction from my manager that the authors said it would. I'm excited to get on the right foot with my new colleagues by asking good questions from this book.
Valerie
Engaging, quick read. Thought-provoking questions to ask others (and yourself) in many different situations to find out what you really need to know, get to know someone better, or affect a successful outcome. The true test will be how well these work in action, which I will put to the test next week!
Carol
Quick read. Not a lot here that is completely new, but the stories are engaging and good reminders and council. Most importantly, I felt the summary of questions (plus more questions for different situations) at the end of the book would be very valuable as an ongoing resource and meeting prep.
Moya Sayer-Jones
Sep 05, 2013 Moya Sayer-Jones is currently reading it
For someone like me who asks questions for a living, it's always a bit confronting to realise we've been talking too much and not listening enough. This book is proving to be a great reminder to me about leaving space and getting to understand more from others.
Lee Wolfe
This book was very engaging as an audio book, however, I will need to get the print companion because there were simply too many good scenarios. I want to review it over again. The examples were real and hit home. I will be recommending this to my staff.
John Losoya
I actually listened on Audible and thought it was great. It's one of those books that I will have to listen to over and over. It was packed with real, thought provoking questions and ideas for personal growth and relationship improvements.
Ozzie Gooen
A few interesting questions, but high focus on anecdotes instead of evidence. I thought that on the whole it wasn't very thorough and didn't provide much academic information, focussing mostly on a relatively simple practical case by case basis.
April
This book didn't live up to my expectations. It was good, but I wanted to learn more than I did. Most of the questions seemed obvious and specific to rare occasions. I expected more useful information rather than stories.
Andrea James
A few nice anecdotes but the questions were pretty standard and not particularly incisive. The scenarios were not set up so that they demonstrate how one would lead up to asking those questions or the follow up questions.
Larry Cassesa
Excellent, thought provoking book. Uses the Socratic method for obtaining desired results. Quick easy read that if outlined can really give you a base for developing relationships both personally and professionally.
Kevin Harris
Great insight into the power of questions. Walked with some practical ideas on how questions can impact my relationships with family, friends, co-workers, and clients. Easy read and highly recomomended.
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • It's the Way You Say It: Becoming Articulate, Well-Spoken, and Clear
  • Maxwell 3-In1 Special Edition: The Winning Attitude, Developing the Leaders Around You, Becoming a Person of Influence
  • The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism
  • I Can Read You Like a Book: How to Spot the Messages and Emotions People Are Really Sending with Their Body Language
  • The Art of Explanation - Making Your Ideas, Products and Services Easier to Understand
  • Just Listen: Discover the Secret to Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • The Power of a Positive No: How to Say No and Still Get to Yes
  • The Psychology of Selling: How to Sell More, Easier, and Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Uncertainty: Turning Fear and Doubt into Fuel for Brilliance
  • Hug Your Customers: The Proven Way to Personalize Sales and Achieve Astounding Results
  • Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
  • One Simple Idea: Turn Your Dreams Into a Licensing Goldmine While Letting Others Do the Work
  • Fixing the Game: Bubbles, Crashes, and What Capitalism Can Learn from the NFL
  • The 5 Essential People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts
  • Taking People With You: The Only Way to Make BIG Things Happen
  • How To Deliver A TED Talk: Secrets Of The World's Most Inspiring Presentations
All for One: 10 Strategies for Building Trusted Client Partnerships Making Rain: The Secrets of Building Lifelong Client Loyalty Power Relationships: 26 Irrefutable Laws for Building Extraordinary Relationships Clients for Life Power Relationships: Grow Your Network, Engage Others, and Build Clients for Life