Start by marking “Power Questions - Build Relationships, Win New Business and Influence Others” as Want to Read:
Power Questions - Build Relationships, Win New Business and Influence Others

Power Questions - Build Relationships, Win New Business and Influence Others

An arsenal of powerful questions that will transform every conversation Skillfully redefine problems. Make an immediate connection with anyone. Rapidly determine if a client is ready to buy. Access the deepest dreams of others. Power Questions sets out a series of strategic questions that will help you win new business and dramatically deepen your professional and personal ...more
Hardcover, 1, 205 pages
Published February 7th 2012 by Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated (first published January 5th 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about Power Questions - Build Relationships, Win New Business and Influence Others

Gregory Kaplan
Jun 02, 2012 Gregory Kaplan rated it did not like it
This book has no redeeming value. The questions are obvious or insipid. The commentary is drivel. It refers to Socrates having "started his class" with a question?!? Please, authors, read a Platonic dialogue before you spout off about it. The author claims Chuck Colson is his "hero." OK, nothing wrong with second chances -- even though the man was craven and paranoid enough to co-author Nixon's enemy list in 1971 -- but that man had the nerve to sign a theological "justification" in 2002 that ga ...more
Molly Eaton
Jun 22, 2012 Molly Eaton rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone in business or a profession, recent graduates,
Power Questions is a highly engaging and practical book. It shows you how to use thoughtful questions to improve your conversations and really connect with other people. There's no conceptual blah-blah or blatant promotion of the authors' businesses. Each chapter highlights a real story and a question--or series of questions--that helped transform the conversation and/or the other person. This is a little gem. Highly recommended. By the way I read the other reviews before I bought this and Kapla ...more
Chhun
May 06, 2014 Chhun rated it really liked it
I found that most of the questions are hard to put into practice. Actually, we cannot ask all the critical thinking questions without a proper time because people hate thinking something complicated. Instead, I found some questions are useful to ask myself. For example, what would you do if weren't afraid? Or in average, Children ask 300 questions to 500 a day, so how many questions have you asked today? I might use such questions for myself everytime I am afraid or feeling stucked.
Moya Sayer-Jones
Sep 05, 2013 Moya Sayer-Jones rated it really liked it
For someone like me who asks questions for a living, it's always a bit confronting to realise we've been talking too much and not listening enough. This book is proving to be a great reminder to me about leaving space and getting to understand more from others.
Ashley
Jun 02, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Best business/consulting book I've ever read. Great reminder to think outside the box when approaching everyday problems
Dale Critchley
Jan 17, 2017 Dale Critchley rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, but I made the mistake of using an audiobook for this one. I'm definitely going to need to find notes for it. That said, everyone should read this book and keep a copy on hand, refreshing the memory maybe one chapter a month over and over.
Cal
Mar 15, 2017 Cal rated it really liked it
Great for sellers
SJ Loria
Jun 24, 2013 SJ Loria rated it liked it
An easy read, the challenge in this book is whether or not the reader can make the changes suggested with regards to their sales approach. Another book promoting a question based sales approach, making the sales person more consultative, rather than product oriented sales pitching. The new sales person, sales reinvented, updated. Less used car salesman approach (all due respect), more challenger, question based, let the client do the talking style.
I would say that most of these questions are s
Ian Cassel
Mar 01, 2017 Ian Cassel rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and look forward to putting some of the thoughtful questions to good use.
Nick
Jul 19, 2012 Nick rated it really liked it
I love this book! It’s a set of short chapters each with a question that will help you have smarter conversations, deals, and relationships. When someone asks you to “tell us a little bit about yourself,” counter with a question: What would you like to know about us? The result, the authors say, is a set of clues about what your interlocutors are really interested in. Other power questions include: what do you think? Are they ready to buy? How will this further your mission and goals? Do you min ...more
Nora
Jul 23, 2014 Nora rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I was highly entertained by this book. Yes, it's full of cheesy American "look how amazing this person is" stories, but you knew that when you read the title. The questions themselves cover two main topics: how to win over a client for your consulting job/donation for your charity, and how to get someone to reflect deeply on their life and values. An odd mix, and the questions are in random order. The best question, in my opinion, is the first one: "What would you like to know about us/me?" as a ...more
Kian Mokhbery
Jan 03, 2016 Kian Mokhbery rated it it was amazing
Always been fascinated by the power of a well timed question. This book proved to be subtle yet thought provoking. Many of the questions suggested seemed logical if you thought about it, but a lot of the value for me was derived from the specific circumstances it suggests the use of these seemingly normal questions and the powerful events that followed.

Excited to put this book into practice! It was a quick read that I can now reference anytime. Highly recommend it if you enjoy engaging in power
Tom
Jun 23, 2013 Tom rated it really liked it
This book has made me a fan of Andrew Sobel and his approach to C-Suite influence and selling. The book is a fairly straight-forward read and I like the organization of the book. I can say I have used his method with outstanding results recently. However, I do believe that the book could have been about half the size and would not have missed a beat. The book could have also been called "Power Listening", since listening, as the author states, is such a key part of asking the appropriate and mos ...more
Leslie
May 21, 2014 Leslie rated it liked it
Sobel's questions generate opportunities to learn about people and what matters to them. Although most of them are familiar, we underuse them. As a consequence, we make false assumptions, lose the chance to meet others' needs, and don't achieve the quality and depth of relationships we'd like. He illustrates each of his questions well, and shows how to use them. The book is worth skimming and looking back at on occasion to remember that much of the point of talking is the other person - and to r ...more
Beth Ann Locke
Dec 09, 2013 Beth Ann Locke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fundraising, business
I love this book! I think it is a must for every fundraiser to read to to have on the shelf at work for reference.

Fundraisers know that discovery is the most important part of the giving cycle - discovering what inspires and interests donors. This book offers question to employ - many you may already use and hundreds more to have at the ready. It is very thoughtful. Of course, these questions can be used for any relationship building.

I wrote a review on my blog: http://fundraiserbeth.com/2012/
Mtbike40
This is an outstanding book that makes you think about how you can use questions to build relationships. Relationships are a foundation of our lives, yet we often enter into relationships by telling people about our selves and we rarely get to know the person below the outer surface. Strong and lasting relationships are build on a greater understanding of the other person. What is important to them? What do they really value?

Power questions helps you learn what types of questions to ask others a
Stephanie
Feb 04, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Really 3.5 stars- some of the power questions have already proven useful. Love the concept of this book and the overarching idea that bringing goals & priorities of others to the forefront via questions will help you to better serve them...but some of the stories that helped illustrate how/when to use certain questions made me think, "get to the point already!" Best book on asking questions I've found so far, if anyone knows a better book, let me know.
Luke
Apr 19, 2015 Luke rated it really liked it
this was a great read. I learned alot from Andrew and jerold as always. there write a ton of take always but there write a few sections that stood out. Resolve a crisis out complaint where they spoke about not winning an argument but win the relationship. Basically when a person is upset emotions are like facts. In this section they taught in the first phase of a crisis or problem situation you must lead with questions. I can go on but I think you get the point. This is a must read.
Daniel
Oct 30, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: coaching
Livro recomendado para quem tem como ponto forte a capacidade de ouvir abertamente. Também recomendado para quem deseja seguir a carreira de coaching.

O livro traz realmente um "arsenal" de perguntas tão provocadoras quanto profundas. Conversas que utilizarem tais perguntas serão baseados em confiança e respeito.

O que aprendi deste livro é que tão importante quanto a pergunta certa, mais importante ainda é o momento certo para fazê-la.
Xuejin Chuang
Jan 13, 2014 Xuejin Chuang rated it liked it
Shelves: design-thinking
Power questions does include some awesome questions. I particularly like the way the explain why this questions rocks. Why i gave it 3 stars? Some of their explanations doesn't resonate with me.

However, this book will definitely work extremely well with other books that provide a framework, such as Crucial Conversations, or perhaps a Business Consulting book so you know why these power (business) questions rock.
Rolando Gill
May 29, 2012 Rolando Gill rated it it was amazing
This was a quick read with stories that illustrate the use of Power Questions. I took many notes and highlighted so much of the book. I love books like this that make me think and get me to take action. I have created tasks for myself to answer some of the questions just so I understand what I am asking of others. This book will make me better.
Claire
Dec 25, 2013 Claire rated it liked it
A book of "power questions" and anecdotes that demonstrate their usage. A good book to practice your speed reading skills on. Each short chapter summarizes the question illustrated and how to use it.

Many questions are business oriented while others are personal or even suited to asking of yourself.

Handy for working on your conversational skills, getting to what matters in discussions.
Kathleen Donohue
Oct 06, 2012 Kathleen Donohue rated it really liked it
Shelves: communicating
I teach business analysis and project management, and people often ask me, "How do I get people to engage in the process?" I tell them the answer is to get them to shift - to take a pause and review their own thinking. "So how do I do that?" Ask great questions- ones for which people don't already have glib answers. This book will give you a good place to start.
Valerie
Aug 03, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction, jc
Engaging, quick read. Thought-provoking questions to ask others (and yourself) in many different situations to find out what you really need to know, get to know someone better, or affect a successful outcome. The true test will be how well these work in action, which I will put to the test next week!
James Andersen
Jul 10, 2013 James Andersen rated it really liked it
This book is very helpful, I know some might say, "Its Obvious" but you know what? Sometimes the best things, are simply obvious. I am using this book currently to help me better sell, but even this book can help with personal relations just as much as professional relations as well too. I recommend this short book to others, each chapter is short and to the point.
Pam
Mar 02, 2013 Pam rated it really liked it
There are some interesting questions in here. They can be used in business, with family, and with friends. I've already used one in my new job and it had the exact reaction from my manager that the authors said it would. I'm excited to get on the right foot with my new colleagues by asking good questions from this book.
Amy
Mar 09, 2014 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some questions to consider

I discovered this book from a brief description in a non profit better. like with most of these books the narratives are two dimensional and illustrate their case remarkably well. while I did have a few take a ways it is not a book I will return to for guidance.
Andreas Kwiatkowski
May 22, 2016 Andreas Kwiatkowski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
You might know some or all of these questions in some way, but still not apply them regularly in people management, coaching or sales. Helpful reference with stories and consecutive question for each "power" question. The author also outlines the importance of listening more than speaking, but occasionally puts that old wisdom into an (entertaining to read) new perspective.
Ryan
Mar 07, 2014 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Very good giving guidance of asking meaningful, probing questions in any conversation. It demonstrates what simple question well asked can help understand people in great depth.Highly recommended to people who are tired of meaningless routine questions or who doesn't know what's the best question to ask.
Andrea James
Nov 11, 2013 Andrea James rated it it was ok
A few nice anecdotes but the questions were pretty standard and not particularly incisive. The scenarios were not set up so that they demonstrate how one would lead up to asking those questions or the follow up questions.
  • The Art of Explanation - Making Your Ideas, Products and Services Easier to Understand
  • Suddenly in Charge: Managing Up, Managing Down, Succeeding All Around
  • People Buy You: The Real Secret to What Matters Most in Business
  • Covert Persuasion: Psychological Tactics and Tricks to Win the Game
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • The 21 Most Powerful Minutes in a Leader's Day: Revitalize Your Spirit and Empower Your Leadership
  • It's the Way You Say It: Becoming Articulate, Well-Spoken, and Clear
  • The Silent Language of Leaders: How Body Language Can Help - Or Hurt - How You Lead
  • Repeatability: Build Enduring Businesses for a World of Constant Change
  • Secrets of a Master Closer: A Simpler, Easier, and Faster Way to Sell Anything to Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere: (Sales, Sales Training, Sales Book, Sales Techniques, Sales Tips, Sales Management)
  • Confronting Reality: Doing What Matters to Get Things Right
  • How to Get People to Do Stuff: Master the Art and Science of Persuasion and Motivation
  • Make Yourself Unforgettable: The Dale Carnegie Class-Act System
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • Pitch Like a Girl: Get Respect, Get Noticed, Get What You Want
  • How To Deliver A TED Talk: Secrets Of The World's Most Inspiring Presentations
  • I Can Read You Like a Book: How to Spot the Messages and Emotions People Are Really Sending with Their Body Language
  • Getting It Done: How to Lead When You're Not in Charge