Start by marking “Fables of the Flag” as Want to Read:
Fables of the Flag

Fables of the Flag

Jack Preston, an ordinary kid on his 8th grade trip to Washington DC, finds himself mysteriously transported back in time to 1720 Massachusetts. Finding a world without cars, phones and other conveniences of modern life takes some getting used to, but he's even more surprised to meet a young Founding Father, Ben Franklin.

Being a righteous fellow, Ben befriends the confused
Published February 24th 2012 (first published February 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fables of the Flag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fables of the Flag

Patricia Robles
Mar 04, 2012 Patricia Robles rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this YA time-travel. Kept me reading until I reached the end! I hope the sequel will be out soon!
Jul 05, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
An easy read with lots of imagination.
Sher A. Hart
Sep 09, 2012 Sher A. Hart rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
Ethan Coffee did a great job of making history come alive in his book where a field trip turns into an unexpected trip through time. Young Jack Preston has a knack for finding trouble, and when he flees a museum guard and ends up meeting a young Ben Franklin, he finds plenty. He's ill-prepared for colonial life, let alone the conniving enemies of Ben's family's printing press. Maybe I shouldn't call this a historical adventure in case the "h" word brings to mind boring. Fables of the Flag is the ...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
May 28, 2012 Meg - A Bookish Affair rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, young-adult, 2012
This is the first book in a planned series focused on American history with a twist that includes time travel. It's geared for middle grade readers, who (let's face it) may be grudging history students. This is a great book for those who love history and those who are just dipping their toes in for the first time. I think that with this book's broad appeal, this is a great adventure story for readers and non-readers alike.

I loved that this book takes on the history of this country. History is so
Jessica (Books: A true story)
Fables of the Flag is about a boy, Jack, who travels back in time and meets a young Benjamin Franklin. The story was cute, but I was not a big fan of the writing. It felt like too much telling and not enough showing. Some things weren’t fleshed out like they could of been like why Ralphie is even friends with Jack if he is always getting him in trouble. The dialogue felt awkward and the plot was a little too convenient sometimes. There wasn’t a ton of historical facts in this book, but I did lik ...more
Julie Duck
Jul 17, 2012 Julie Duck rated it it was amazing
What an excellent and innovative book for younger YA! In particular, this will appeal to boys who are adventurous and interested in history. The concept of having a modern character go back in time to a period of history is done in a refreshing way with Fables, wherein a young man discovers a portal to the past and into the young life of Benjamin Franklin. I'll have more to say when Fables of the Flag hits my blog for its upcoming tour, but in the meantime I wholly recommend this book!
Caroline Fyffe
Mar 04, 2012 Caroline Fyffe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-of-interest
From the opening paragraph I connected instantly with Jack Preston. He's such a likeable fellow, but has the knack for getting into jams. When he's transported back in time to Colonial America he meets an intriguing cast of characters, one being Ben Franklin as a boy. Although this book's target audience is pre-teen, I have to say I simply loved this book! And adored the ending!! Do yourself a favor and read it today. I highly recommend it to all.
Nov 16, 2015 Annie rated it it was amazing
Jack is a resourceful boy with a penchant for mischief. I liked him immediately. His nature served him well in his adventure with Benjamin Franklin.
I thoroughly enjoyed The Printer's Tale - Fables of the Flag Book 1. Ethan Coffee has penned a story that will appeal to both girls and boys of all ages. Making a founding father someone relatable is a wonderful way to interest children in both history and reading.
I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
Sep 29, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
Great book

I just finished reading this with my kids. We really enjoyed it! The story and characters were great, there was a lot of fun suspense, and the historical aspect made this a very interesting book. Looking forward to reading the next one.
Aug 20, 2012 Diana rated it liked it
A fun read that mixes history, mystery, and daring boys. It's a quick read, featuring a complete and satisfying story arc with a mystery dangling at the end to entice you onto the next book. Especially great for reluctant reader boys.
Rebecca MA
Jun 29, 2012 Rebecca MA rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-challenge
Overall the book had an interesting plot. I think it could have gone into a bit more detail, maybe making the experiences a bit more in depth, but I think overall it was very interesting.
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Tuttle rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Danielle rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Allison rated it liked it
May 21, 2014
Matt Fyffe
Matt Fyffe rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2013
Matt rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2012
Ross rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Andrea rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Theresa Ragan
Theresa Ragan rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2012
Michelle rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2012
Ethan Coffee
Mar 04, 2012 Ethan Coffee rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Derek Schuffenhauer
Derek Schuffenhauer rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2014