Fables of the Flag

Fables of the Flag

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Jack Preston, an ordinary kid on his 8th grade trip to Washington DC, finds himself mysteriously transported back in time to 1720 Massachusetts. Finding a world without cars, phones and other conveniences of modern life takes some getting used to, but he's even more surprised to meet a young Founding Father, Ben Franklin.

Being a righteous fellow, Ben befriends the confused...more
Published February 24th 2012 (first published February 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fables of the Flag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fables of the Flag

Cinder by Marissa MeyerThe Selection by Kiera CassUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiEverneath by Brodi AshtonIncarnate by Jodi Meadows
2012 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade)
280th out of 966 books — 5,668 voters
Fables of the Flag by Ethan CoffeeWhere the Wind Blows by Caroline FyffeAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Complete English Poems by John Donne
Read in one sitting
1st out of 11 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Patricia Robles
Really enjoyed this YA time-travel. Kept me reading until I reached the end! I hope the sequel will be out soon!
Kate
An easy read with lots of imagination.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
This is the first book in a planned series focused on American history with a twist that includes time travel. It's geared for middle grade readers, who (let's face it) may be grudging history students. This is a great book for those who love history and those who are just dipping their toes in for the first time. I think that with this book's broad appeal, this is a great adventure story for readers and non-readers alike.

I loved that this book takes on the history of this country. History is so...more
Sher A. Hart
Ethan Coffee did a great job of making history come alive in his book where a field trip turns into an unexpected trip through time. Young Jack Preston has a knack for finding trouble, and when he flees a museum guard and ends up meeting a young Ben Franklin, he finds plenty. He's ill-prepared for colonial life, let alone the conniving enemies of Ben's family's printing press. Maybe I shouldn't call this a historical adventure in case the "h" word brings to mind boring. Fables of the Flag is the...more
Jessica (Books: A true story)
Fables of the Flag is about a boy, Jack, who travels back in time and meets a young Benjamin Franklin. The story was cute, but I was not a big fan of the writing. It felt like too much telling and not enough showing. Some things weren’t fleshed out like they could of been like why Ralphie is even friends with Jack if he is always getting him in trouble. The dialogue felt awkward and the plot was a little too convenient sometimes. There wasn’t a ton of historical facts in this book, but I did lik...more
Julie Duck
What an excellent and innovative book for younger YA! In particular, this will appeal to boys who are adventurous and interested in history. The concept of having a modern character go back in time to a period of history is done in a refreshing way with Fables, wherein a young man discovers a portal to the past and into the young life of Benjamin Franklin. I'll have more to say when Fables of the Flag hits my blog for its upcoming tour, but in the meantime I wholly recommend this book!
Caroline Fyffe
From the opening paragraph I connected instantly with Jack Preston. He's such a likeable fellow, but has the knack for getting into jams. When he's transported back in time to Colonial America he meets an intriguing cast of characters, one being Ben Franklin as a boy. Although this book's target audience is pre-teen, I have to say I simply loved this book! And adored the ending!! Do yourself a favor and read it today. I highly recommend it to all.
Diana
A fun read that mixes history, mystery, and daring boys. It's a quick read, featuring a complete and satisfying story arc with a mystery dangling at the end to entice you onto the next book. Especially great for reluctant reader boys.
Rebecca MA
Overall the book had an interesting plot. I think it could have gone into a bit more detail, maybe making the experiences a bit more in depth, but I think overall it was very interesting.
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Carrie Bourgeois
Carrie Bourgeois marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Muttix Onlymuttix
Muttix Onlymuttix marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Jolie
Jolie marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Rachel Cumberbatch
Rachel Cumberbatch marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Ashley Vail
Ashley Vail marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Aidan Seymour
Aidan Seymour marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Romi Sobrevilla
Romi Sobrevilla marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
ioana.
ioana. marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013