Start by marking “Speculation” as Want to Read:
Speculation

Speculation

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  308 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Andrew Wrangles has a decision to make. His best friend Sothum, a philosophical and financial genius, has just died and left him a choice in his will: ten million dollars or a sealed envelope.

Andrew's wife Cheryl doesn't see this as much of a choice. She wants Andrew to take the money, and what little patience she has for his speculating about what could be worth more than
Published December 22nd 2011 by Inkwell & Often (first published October 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Speculation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speculation

Coral
LOVED this story. This is an intellectual mystery full of philosophy about the stuff that matters – relationships, life, death, money, power, fame. The story hooked me from the beginning and this is on my short list for best stories I’ve read in 2012. I was wondering if the author could keep up the tension over what seems like an obvious dilemma and he did. He used the relationship between Andrew and Cheryl as a battle of wits. I loved the descriptions and detailed passages. Really a thought-pro ...more
Kriss
Let me start by saying Speculation will probably be on my top 10 list at the end of this year, if not right at the top. I have gone back and re-read parts this week in preparation for this review for Novel Publicity Tours, though I really wanted to have a full in-depth read done with a pile of notes, a medical emergency prevented me from doing so. So based on my initial read of this book, of which I have a feeling even knowing how the question of will he chose what is in the envelope or the 10 m ...more
Cheryl M-M
Oct 09, 2012 Cheryl M-M rated it really liked it
My grey cells feel as if they have been on a rollercoaster of philosophical debate.
It is neither a mystery nor thriller, indeed it is more of a cerebral truffle which will challenge your taste buds.
The conundrum of having to choose, whilst needing to know the outcome of his friends fate, takes the main character on a path of discovery. The discovery that each person has an identity for the public, one for their private life and a secret one that no person ever sees.
The ending was utter brillianc
Vidya-BooksAreMagic
Original review at Books Are Magic.

See that envelope in the book cover? That is the prime cause of all the speculation and mystery, behind this book.

Your best friend is missing for some days now. And you are suspecting some foul play. The problem is your other very rich friend (say his name is Sothum and you are idolizing him from your teen age for his talent) knows something about it and is avoiding you since. Now comes the twist. This Sothum guy has a brain tumor and dies one day. He has menti
Lissette
Jun 22, 2012 Lissette rated it it was amazing
Andrew Wrangles is content with the way his life is going. He has a beautiful wife named Cheryl, his job is going well, and he maintains a stable friendship with his friends, Buddy and Stanley Riordan. When Buddy goes missing, Andrew can't help but wonder as to what has happened to him. Something tells him, Stanley might know, but he sure isn't saying. Granted, reports of Buddy surface from all around the globe, but there's something about the entire situation that he can't quite put his finger ...more
Hope R
May 27, 2012 Hope R rated it did not like it
B o r i n g... Two thirds of the book are pseudo-philosophical ramblings that could have been summed up in a few pages. I ashamed to say I finished it, but it was based on a story line that could have had an interesting ending. Don't be fooled. The ending wasn't worth the rest of the book.
Heather
Jan 10, 2015 Heather rated it it was ok
This book was actually really well written. Certain parts of it were compelling and very interesting. However, unless you like philosophical debates, this isn't the book for you.
Sharon Martin
Jun 20, 2012 Sharon Martin rated it really liked it
If you are a thinker and love a debate this book is especially designed for you. The author will challenge your beliefs, emotions and ask questions about your own existence.

The story is brilliantly written and in following the quest for the clues in order to make the correct decision, the author causes intrigue and keeps the reader on his toes in the way he uses the philosophic questions to reach or solve the problem.

When one of his friends has gone missing and the other one is dead, the dead fr
Ruth Hill
Jun 29, 2012 Ruth Hill rated it it was amazing
I will admit that when I began reading this, I figured I would not like it. It is not my typical genre, and I figured it would be rampant with sex scenes and profanity. Was I ever wrong!

First of all, no sex scenes and limited profanity. I was halfway through the book before profanity even reared its ugly head, and I could live with it. It did not ruin the story for me.

The style and story of this book drew me in from the beginning. I could not put it down. Imagine being left a choice as part of a
Pragya
Jun 11, 2012 Pragya rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Wow! Yes, that’s the word. What a book! True to its title, it makes you speculate and more. I think I have highlighted the most in this book – names of other books (philosophy) and else.

The book has it all – thriller, drama, mystery, relationship/ romance, and lots and lots of speculation on your part. Gosh, I loved it! Yes, there are times that you have to rack your brain, reread the paragraphs but it is worth it all. I plan on re-reading the book someday. It is THAT good.

You know what, I have
Jeffrey
Jan 28, 2016 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Newcomb's Paradox has always fascinated me, and when I read the summery of the book, I recognized the inherent choice offered to the protagonist as a version of it. The basics are as follows; upon the death of a friend, a professor of philosophy is willed his choice of either ten million dollars or the contents of an envelope. In addition, he received several boxes of the man's papers.

From there, the journey goes to an attempt to learn the contents of the envelope, which leads down a long trail
Helen
Jul 26, 2014 Helen rated it did not like it
I don't like simplistic books. I like my books to have meaning, some mystery, to not have everything spelled out. But I am apparently not intellectual enough to enjoy this one. It was like sludge. I s k i m m e d all the boring stuff just so I could finish the book and find out what happened at the end, which was totally not worth it. Not at all my cup of tea.
Nancy
Aug 24, 2014 Nancy rated it liked it
This book had a great premise and pulled me in right away. But then it got pretty deep into philosophical logic, and I just wasn't willing to think that much.
Gina Fedon
Oct 26, 2014 Gina Fedon rated it really liked it
A novel with an extremely original storyline that I wouldn't really know how to classify. Well-written, without any triteness or repetitions, it has some good character development and nuggets of thought that gets one to stop and consider the philosophical implications.

Sure, you find the same ideas in far more depth on a number of math and philosophy websites, but it's certainly uncommon to find them not only expressed, but also developed as part of a storyline in a novel.

A nice, quick read for
Jo Bryant
Jun 06, 2012 Jo Bryant rated it really liked it
Shelves: surprised-me
It is always nice when a friend remembers you in their will isn't it ?

But what if what they leave you is a choice ?

Remember that TV show The Money Or The Box.

What would you choose ?

I have always thought that I would go for the box.

Speculation is about being left that type of choice.

Buddy Johnston, Sothum (Stanley Riordan), and Andrew Wrangles have been friends since college.

Sothum, a genius in Andrew's eyes who has not quite lived up to his full potential. Buddy, born to wealth with two bestsell
Kimberly
Jun 21, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Now that was by far the most interesting mystery novel I've ever read. It's just so completely different from anything I've ever read before I'm still reeling from it. I really enjoyed getting to know this author's writing and I'm glad that I signed up for the book's blog tour when I did because after reading it, I know I would have missed out on something special.

What I loved most about this book was how it was written. It is not your traditional mystery and it isn't one that I advise turning t
Nicole Henke
Jun 29, 2012 Nicole Henke rated it it was amazing
While this book sounded great on preview, once I started reading it, I got a little worried, as the characters are VERY intellectual and discuss Philosophy at length, and keeping up (especially late at night) sorta taxed my brain. But then by about chapter 5, I realized the author was giving you enough info to keep up, and you didn't have to remember all those college classes (though that helps). BUT it DID make your brain work- think of it like SMART fiction!

The author does a good job of making
Shelly
Jul 31, 2012 Shelly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Charlye, Becca, Steven
LOVED THIS!! A wonderful philosophical conundrum that had an awesome ending and all I can say is I'm thankful I know what I know. I think anyone wanting to strengthen their testimony of God or anyone who doesn't believe in God should read this.

"All he has done is demonstrated that God's existence is a consequence of there being any meaning at all in the universe. He has only shown you that these-God or total meaninglessness-are your choices, the only two dishes on the menu here in the Cafe Unive
Ellen Goodlett
Jul 19, 2012 Ellen Goodlett rated it it was amazing
This was my first free Kindle e-book. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much. One of my friends on Facebook mentioned that it was great and free for the next couple of weeks, so I figured, well, no one's ever recommended a free book to me before, I'll give it a shot.

The summary sounded intriguing: a man's best friend dies and leaves him 10 million dollars and a sealed envelope. The catch? He has to choose just one. Pick the money and the envelope will be destroyed. Pick the envelope and bye-bye m
Karielle
Jun 18, 2012 Karielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog
Speculation by Edmund Jorgensen
Release Date: December 22nd, 2011
Publisher: Inkwell & Often
Page Count: 264
Source: From author, via Novel Publicity for review, as part of the Speculation book tour

Kaitlin
Jun 07, 2013 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
Finish time: 12 nights (minus a few off). This book was loaded. The premise seemed simple, yet interesting. A friend dies and leaves you a choice in his will; 10 million dollars or a sealed envelope. The main character Andrew is faced with this exact choice after his long-time friend Sothum passes away. In order to understand the difficulty of this decision for Andrew (and not for his wife!), we must go back and learn how these 2 (well 3, as we meet Buddy, the final member of the Three Wise Fool ...more
SuzanneG
Jun 15, 2012 SuzanneG rated it it was amazing
As anyone would, upon hearing that the Law Offices of X, Y and Z were calling, philosophy professor Andy Wrangles suspects he’s the recipient of a prank call. He soon learns that not only is the law firm real, but that he is a beneficiary in the will of a long-time friend.

Still determined that there is some mistake, he arrives at the office to receive the news that he's been left not so much a bequest, as a choice. Andy may choose to receive ten million dollars, or a sealed envelope, the conten
Mike
Aug 10, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant philosopher has left an estranged friend an odd choice in his will: ten million dollars or a sealed envelope. Andrew has nothing to go on to make his choice except unsorted boxes of seemingly random documents, and his wife can't imagine why he'd waste time debating the envelope's contents and possible worth. But Andrew wants to know why he was given the choice at all, and if it has anything to do with the prior mysterious disappearance of Buddy, a mutual college friend of his and the ...more
Eric
May 22, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it
Speculation was another Kindle freebie I came across. The main character, Andy, had two close friends from college. One has gone missing and the other recently died of brain cancer. The character that recently died, Stanley (known since their college days as Sothum)leaves Andy in his will a choice between 10 million dollars and a sealed, unmarked business envelope.

Andy goes on a journey to try to unravel the mystery as to what is in the envelope. As the journey unfolds, the story flashbacks a l
Eliabeth Hawthorne
May 19, 2012 Eliabeth Hawthorne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
The highest complement I can pay any form of entertainment is that it is more captivating than SIMS. Speculation is more captivating than SIMS. I guess you have to know me in order to understand the magnitude of that statement, so the short version is that when I play SIMS, I keep track of their personality numbers, their physical traits, their aspirations, skills, and finances in multiple Excel sheets to discover which Townies have dyed their hair, which SIMS will progress rapidly through their ...more
Inga
Jun 19, 2012 Inga rated it really liked it
My review:

The blurb of the Speculation was very promising and I made a quick decision that this is a book I want to read. It was a good choice! Speculation by Edmund Jorgensen was well written and had very likable characters and the plot asked a rhetorical question: To be or not to be?

Regarding the plot and characters:

Andrew Wrangles' friend leaves him with a choice: 10 million dollars or an envelope. The choice seems very easy, but everything is not like it looks. The story develops when Andre
Zzyzx
Jul 16, 2012 Zzyzx rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
To understand my review one must have a tiny insight of me: I hate reality shows (Real Housewives, Jersey Shore, etc.) and stupid "HA-HA" shows (i.e. sitcoms) Why? Because these shows only require a pulse and warm flesh to follow along. In short, I need my brain to be engaged; to always be in awe of an idea; to always be challenged to a thought or problem. Speculation does just that. Great character development, solid plot, a bit heavy on the flashbacks, but the flashbacks are what support the g ...more
Sally
Jun 14, 2015 Sally rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
An interesting 'mystery' about a philosopher and his quest to connect with God--not in a spiritual way, but more in a prideful intellectual way. His mania ends up harming others whom he cares about, and the narrator is left piecing things together and trying to decide how to proceed with the choice between ten million dollars and a sealed envelope.
Krystal
Jun 04, 2012 Krystal rated it liked it
The reader meets Andrew early on in the book and finds him grieving. His friend, Sothum, passed away, but left Andrew with a surprisingly substantial amount of money. Andrew isn't elated like some people might be, he is a bit confused and slightly suspicious about the money. He believes there to be a mystery surround the money.

Andrew's character was nice enough. Sometimes, the book sounded a bit too much like philosophy. The philosophy/mystery portions could outweigh the plot and leave the reade
Zoe Jussel
Sep 26, 2013 Zoe Jussel rated it liked it
Man starts business with friends making video games, man gets very rich,man marries and has a child he adores, man buys a motorcycle, runs away from a marriage dying on the vine to Haiti after the earthquake to help. Man meets a woman doctor, falls slightly in love, she makes him promise to call home, he calls home and the world gets a little better. I actually found this book and the protagonist's feelings and life quite charming and understandable. He did nothing wrong and always tried to do t ...more
  • Meets Girl
  • A Dignified Exit
  • The Sholes Key (Evans and Blackwell Mystery #1)
  • Getting the Important Things Right
  • North Slope
  • The Survival of Thomas Ford
  • Falling (Bits and Pieces #1)
  • Any Other Night
  • The Monster Within Idea
  • Listen to the Shadows
  • Replica
  • Found Money
Edmund Jorgensen was born in Chicago. He studied classical languages, and has maintained a love for all--well, almost all--things Greek and Roman.

Speculation is his first novel.

He and his wife met in Mexico, and now reside, happy but considerably chillier, in Watertown, Massachusetts.

Edmund is currently working on his next book, a set of interconnected short stories.

You can contact him at ewj (at)
More about Edmund Jorgensen...