Star Trek 8

Star Trek 8 (Star Trek #8)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  470 ratings  ·  15 reviews
• Where No Man Has Gone Before
• Wolf in the Fold
• For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky

(from the back cover)

On their latest missions, Starship Enterprise and her crew journey to a glaciated wasteland where beautiful women rule; defeat the ferocious double of...more
Published February 1977 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek 8

Robert
More literary comfort food from Blish in the form of adapted Star Trek shooting scripts. Some famous names wrote episodes of Star Trek, including Richard Matheson and Robert Bloch. These books must have been amongst the last Blish published before his death.
Heather Domin
(Somebody actually requested "Spock's Brain"? Really?)
David King
“Star Trek 8” by James Blish was the eighth collection of Original Series Star Trek series scripts adapted into short story form. One thing to note is that neither the various collections nor the stories contained are in any sort of chronological order so it has been an interesting experience for me in trying to decide what order I should read them as part of my chronological reading challenge.

This collection includes adaptations of the following episodes:

Spock's Brain (3rd Season)
The Enemy Wit...more
Charles
These are Blish's novelizations/storyizations of the original Star Trek episodes. Sometimes they are slightly different from the final episode since they were written from shooting scripts as I understand. Although I enjoyed them, it's because of the tie in with the TV series episodes. The writing here is fairly workmanlike and this is really bare bones kind of work.
Fangirl
When these early novels and stories to Star Trek came out I bought them all, devoured them and loved them. It's been a long time, so today I couldn't even say which of them were really good and which of them I only loved because they were Star Trek. ;)
Just thinking of them and seeing the covers gives me a happy feeling of nostalgia. That alone is worth the rating!
Travis
More prose adaptions of original TV show episodes.
Not a lot of depth, but a nice intro to the show or reminder if you haven't seen them in awhile.

I liked reading these in high school, back in the dark ages before you could get every episode on DVD, this was the only way to experience the episodes.
Sam
Blish's short story rewrites of the Original Series Star Trek's scripts are quick, painless reads. They aren't terribly eloquent, since they are based off tv scripts, but they are able to convey some of the more essential Star Trek canon and characterizations in an easy to digest format.
Rich Meyer
Another good Blish outing, with fan favorite episodes "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and "Wolf in the Fold" included in this collection, as well as the almost universally-derided "Spock's Brain". Well-written adaptations as always.
Brandon Matthews
As someone who was never really a big Star Trek fan and given this book randomly, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Most of the stories were entertaining and I'd say I'm more open to Star Trek as a whole now.
Tom
This is another collection of short stories adapted from the TV show. It is a quick read for whenever you want a quick escape.
Curtiss
Another half dozen episodes or so of the Original TV series rewritten as novella-length Sci-Fi stories.
James Sorensen
Novelizations of Star Trek TOS. Fun to read if you've never seen the original TV episodes.
Bobby
Only read "Where No Man Has Gone Before" to fill in what happened to Gary Mitchell.
Morbus Iff
Good episode novelizations. Ayup. That's it.
Freya Roberts
More adaptations of original Trek episodes.
Farseer
Farseer marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Clint
Clint marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Lydia Thomas
Lydia Thomas marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Cori
Cori marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
  • Star Trek Log Two (Star Trek: Logs, #2)
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages (Star Trek Adventures, #2)
  • Spock, Messiah! (Star Trek Adventures, #3)
  • The Abode of Life
  • Timetrap
  • The Galactic Whirlpool (Star Trek Adventures, #14)
  • The Making Of Star Trek
  • Planet of Judgment (Star Trek Adventures, #5)
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)
  • Legacy
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)
  • Assignment: Eternity
  • Trek To Madworld (Star Trek Adventures, #9)
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
James Benjamin Blish (East Orange, New Jersey, May 23, 1921 – Henley-on-Thames, July 30, 1975) was an American author of fantasy and science fiction. Blish also wrote literary criticism of science fiction using the pen-name William Atheling Jr.

In the late 1930's to the early 1940's, Blish was a member of the Futurians.

Blish trained as a biologist at Rutgers and Columbia University, and spent 1942–...more
More about James Blish...
Cities in Flight (Cities in Flight, #1-4) A Case of Conscience (After Such Knowledge, #4) They Shall Have Stars (Cities in Flight, #1) Star Trek 1 Spock Must Die! (Star Trek Adventures, #1)