Start by marking “Freedom Is Blogging in Your Underwear” as Want to Read:
Freedom Is Blogging in Your Underwear

Freedom Is Blogging in Your Underwear

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Think of it a wee love letter to the blog. As everything and everybody gets swallowed up by Facebook, Google+ and other death stars, remember the importance of having one's own piece of real estate to call one's own...
Hardcover, 1, 128 pages
Published April 26th 2012 by Portfolio Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Freedom Is Blogging in Your Underwear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freedom Is Blogging in Your Underwear

Tyler Hurst
I love Hugh MacLeod's work. I own five of his images, both his previous books and used his "Failure Is My Muse" print as the centerpiece of my TEDx presentation. In short, I am a Gaping Void fan.

But not of this book.

I'm not sure if I was expecting something more, or if the content was just...light, but this book feels like a trinket. You know how some authors make stickers and posters that they then give away to people when they buy their book?

Now, light on content means that the writing part of
Kurt Gielen
I only have myself to blame.
Having been a fan of Hugh for years, reading his daily emails consistently and being a blogger myself, I should have known that a book about blogging isnt a smart thing in the first place!
So that was a sign.
But I missed it. So I went out and purchased it on amazon the day it came out, yes Im that much of a fan.

And now, only half way through the book I feel completely cheated! What a fucking waste of my money. I would have felt fine if the book had cost me $0.99 or eve
Awhile back I was in the library glancing over their section where they put they're new or up and coming novels when I saw this one. Since I'm a blogger I just thought this book would offer me a few chuckles.

Unfortunately this book was not amusing, entertaining or witty as I had hoped it would be. In fact I actually had to force myself to continue reading this itty bitty 128 page book. Throughout the whole book I was waiting for the author to be witty but instead I was met with a mish mash of c
MacKenzie Abernethy
I give it one point for the only page I found remotely interesting, which states that the Internet is a revolution as profound as the Industrial revolution, the French revolution, the Russian revolution, and the Chinese revolution - but BETTER, since it lacks “the usual horrors of barricades being stormed, monarchs being decapitated, peasants starving by the millions.” Instead you get a lot of uploaded pictures of cats.

Nothing else in this book sparked my interest; the cartoons were nearly all c
I love Hugh MacLeod's art and his clever, insightful commentary about life, the universe, and making a living. This book collects some of his art and words, but not nearly enough to be a cohesive book (I suspect there's very little added beyond grabbing a few things off of his blog and mailing list). I'd still argue that this continues to be the problem with blog-to-book scenarios: Not enough thought given to the change in medium.

Still, if you're not familiar with MacLeod, this is a good intro t
Alexis Cheong
i like this, as much as I like the other book Ignore Everybody.
Don The Idea Guy
I like all of Hugh MacLeod's books, but this one my least favorite of his first three. His first two books ("How to Be Creative" and "Evil Plans") I DEVOURED. I rushed to buy them on the day they were released, and couldn't put them down until I'd read through them (twice!), and gave copies of them as gifts. That's a tough act to follow. There's nothing "wrong" with this book -- it is still Hugh's unique and illustrative insight into entrepreneurial inspiration -- I simply liked his other book b ...more

I read this book because I was in both a reading AND blogging AND writing slump and I wanted something to bring me out of it. It sort of did, but meh... The writing wasn't exactly beautiful, the photos were EXTREMELY abstract, and it was a bit repetitive. However, it did keep me entertained and I read it in one quick sitting. If you are a blogger or like art, this book may be for you. Otherwise, I don't think that you shoudl give this one a go.
Jul 19, 2012 Alan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alan by: Sandy
I have been a subscriber to the gapingvoid blog for a long time, and I really like Hugh's "cartoons drawn on the backs of business cards."
This book wasn't as entertaining as "Ignore Everybody" but it had the same irreverent, motivational feel. I liked his twist at the end where he said he tricked the reader, but it didn't really feel like a trick. Hugh has a knack for pointing out the obvious in way that makes you glad he told you.
I'm a huge fan of Hugh and I'm always on top of his latest blog rants or books. I love his way of combining thought-provoking cartoons with wisdom, irony and humor. His first two books - Ignore Everybody and Evil Plans - are great pieces of art and I always go to them in search of inspiration.

But this one has been a bitter disappointment. It lacks substance, it's mellow and has failed to capture my interest.
Holy cow, this one only took about 12 minutes to read! (That's a *bit* of an exaggeration but it really is prolly only an hourlong read at best.) In any case, I enjoy Hugh's work - I did recently purchase one of his cartoons, after all - but found this one a bit on the underwhelming side. There just wasn't enough new material for me. I did, however, enjoy all the drawings. :)
Ben Nesvig
Huge fan of Hugh. Ignore Everybody is one of my favorites books. His daily email is a highlight of my day. With that said, I didn't get a lot out of this book. Maybe it's because I already believe in the basic premise so much. Like the other reviewer said, read it for the pictures. It's still an enjoyable, brief read, but I was hoping for more.
Love this review to come!
If you've seen you probably already love Hugh MacLeod. Unfortunately this book has some good basic advice but the cartoons just didn't have the zing I was expecting. Subscribe to his blog - skip this book.

Simultaneously published on my Book Blog

Top Hat Reviews

Karl Metivier
This funny book is about freedom, creativity, the Internet and the new world of work. This is a very fast read of about 120 pages with many drawings (which some are a little strange, but art is art). Nonetheless, it is an interesting read, particularly if you are blogging or have interests in new media.
Short book. A bit lightweight. Was expecting more from Hugh McLeod... I was most triggered by some of the cartoons in the book.

"Hate is just a word for somebody you love but no longer believe in"

"Stress is the price you pay for having no talent"
Patrick Matte
Ce qu'il y a de meilleur dans ce livre c'est le titre. Suivi de près par quelques réflexions intéressantes. Pour le reste, je croyais que j'en aurais plus pour mon argent. Au moins, c'est une lecture rapide.
Extremely inspiring, gratitude and action provoking, wonderful, easy and quick read. Totally worth your time if you are an artist, and even if you are not. Loved it.
Scott Milam
A good quick read. Hugh takes the time to share with us his views on why we should use the Internet to exercise our creativity, discover our purpose and live life.
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
Good to read a nice book which deals with the internet and how one can unleash the freedom from within. Easy quick read with cartoons.
Stanley Turner
Not Hugh's best work, I've been a fan for some time but this book did not fit in with his other works...
Peter Hall
A small and entertaining book. Lots of Hugh's trademark cartoons but don't expect it to shake your world.
Liliana Ianculescu
"The internet is not some add-on to your life; the Internet is central to your life"
It was boring and it did not say nothing new. The Internet is great. Yeah and...?!
Tamas Kalman
the definitive guide and bible for creative people about the internets.
Douglas Hutcheon
This author's first two books were far better.
Laurie Mcclary
This book was silly.
Excellent, highly recommend.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Grouped: How Small Groups of Friends Are the Key to Influence on the Social Web
  • The Commitment Engine: Teaching Your Business to Manage Itself
  • The Liminal People
  • Too Big to Know: Rethinking Knowledge Now That the Facts Aren't the Facts, Experts Are Everywhere, and the Smartest Person in the Room Is the Room
  • Big Java
  • The Bride Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors, Even
  • The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise?
  • Small Message, Big Impact: The Elevator Speech Effect
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business With a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money
  • The Pumpkin Plan: A Simple Strategy to Grow a Remarkable Business in Any Field
  • The Launch Pad: Inside Y Combinator, Silicon Valley's Most Exclusive School for Startups
  • The Kingdom and the Power: Behind the Scenes at The New York Times: The Institution That Influences the World
  • Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love
  • The Click Moment: Seizing Opportunity in an Unpredictable World
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Sterling's Gold: Wit and Wisdom of an Ad Man
  • The Tom Peters Seminar: Crazy Times Call for Crazy Organizations
  • Make your Idea Matter

“Stuff designed to make them sound clever and make us part with our money. Which is fine, but their shtick isn’t the whole story. Buzzwords are not the word of God. The Internet doesn’t work the way it does because some clever person in New York or Shanghai has decided she needs your money. No, it’s something far more universal and egalitarian. The Internet works best when we’re all trying to share stuff. Not just the corporations and the Internet millionaires, but you, me, everybody else on this planet.” 0 likes