The Misses Moffet Mend a Marriage (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #2.5)

The Misses Moffet Mend a Marriage (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #2.5)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This short story, set in 1879 San Francisco, features two elderly dressmakers, Miss Minnie and Miss Millie Moffet, who face a moral dilemma of no small dimensions. They turn for advice to Annie Fuller, a widowed boardinghouse owner who supplements her income as a clairvoyant, Madam Sibyl.

For those who have read Locke’s two full-length Victorian San Francisco mysteries, Ma...more
Published February 29th 2012 by M. Louisa Locke

To ask other readers questions about The Misses Moffet Mend a Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Misses Moffet Mend a Marriage

Erin
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Much to the distress of Nate Dawson, the Moffet sisters have been permanent fixtures of Annie Fuller's boarding house since its introduction in Maids of Misfortune. However, despite their constant presence, we readers haven't been privy to much of their story or character. Locke remedies this in her delightful short, The Misses Moffet Mend a Marriage.

First of all, I love that these two elderly women are so much more percept...more
Christy
This is another winner in the Victorian San Fransisco Mystery series. The characters of Miss Millie and Miss Minnie have the leading role in this short story which I received free on audible for an honest review.

The ladies, who are seamstresses, find that one of their client's husband may be unfaithful to his wife with another one of their clients. They subtly find out the truth and help keep the marriage in question from failing.

The audio version of this is very well narrated and easy to list...more
Cindy Amrhein
I enjoyed this short, and it was enough to hold me over until Ms. Locke's next book came out. I just love the Miss Moffets. They are such a clever creation as characters, in all their quirkiness. I got a bit of a peak into their background and their lives and got to know them just a little bit better.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
Not really a mystery at all, but an amusing short story that features the secondary characters from the mystery series. The sisters are just the sort you'd like to have as your personal seamstresses, if one could afford such a thing. A quick, amusing read about how to accomplish your goals on the sly.

Marla
Another fun, little short story. Something that probably wouldn't be published as a physical book outside of a collection of short stories, but, thanks to the power of e-book readers, gets published and read on it's own. I enjoyed the Misses Moffet's and the small glimpse we got into them and their past.
Ngdecker
This was a very quick read, but fun. It is really a short story rather than a book. I read it because I enjoyed the author's other book I had read - Maids of Misfortune.
Heather
Adorable short story featuring characters from the San Francisco Victorian mystery series. I have a new fondness for the Misses Moffet :)
JoAnn Bassett
Fun, clever mystery set in a Victorian setting--what more could you want? It's small, but satisfying (like a well-crafted truffle). Enjoy!
Natalie
I enjoyed this and the other short story, Dandy Detects, a good bit, perhaps even more than the actual novels themselves.
Judy
Delightful! So clever too! We should all learn from these ladies. This short story makes me smile.
Pat
A refreshing visit to Victorian San Fransisco, to tide me over before the next full-length book comes out.
Mary
Sweet little story. Very short.
Marita
Marita marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Charmaine Neverson
Charmaine Neverson marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
After being a professor of history for over 30 years, I am now retired and writing full time. The books in my Victorian San Francisco Mystery series, are based in part on my dissertation research on women who worked in the Far West at the end of the Nineteenth Century, and they feature Annie Fuller, a young widow who gives domestic and business advice as the clairvoyant, Madam Sibyl. She is aided...more
More about M. Louisa Locke...
Maids of Misfortune (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #1) Uneasy Spirits (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery, #2) Dandy Detects (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #1.5) Bloody Lessons (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery, #3) Victorian San Francisco Stories