Start by marking “Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)” as Want to Read:
Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)

Extinction Point (Extinction Point #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  4,336 ratings  ·  510 reviews
Reporter Emily Baxter has a great job, an apartment in Manhattan, and a boyfriend she loves. All that changes the day the red rain falls from a cloudless sky. Just hours after the first reports from Europe, humanity is on the brink of extinction, wiped from the face of the earth in a few bloody moments, leaving Emily alone in an empty city. As she struggles to grasp the ma ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 283 pages
Published March 1st 2012 by Paul Jones

To ask other readers questions about Extinction Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extinction Point

Blood Borne by Elizabeth WixleyIn The Devil's Own Words by Elizabeth WixleyUntethered by Jax SpenserV by A.C. CrispinExtinction Point by Paul Antony Jones
Alien Invasions
5th out of 40 books — 70 voters
The Stand by Stephen KingThe Road by Cormac McCarthyThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsWorld War Z by Max Brooks1984 by George Orwell
Best Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
246th out of 812 books — 2,581 voters

More lists with this book...

May 12, 2013 Carol. rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: very, very forgiving fans of the apocalypse.
Recommended to Carol. by: Amazon, the creeps.

Some books are made for procrastination reads, and this is one of them. Bought and read in a single summery afternoon, it was the perfect excuse to sit outside in the first 80 degree day with the new Kindle.

It begins with Emily, a mid-twenty-something reporter who is waiting for an appointment to interview a doctor. As far as introductions go, it's a mediocre one, showcasing Emily as somewhat of a judgmental snot--Jones should have skipped it and went straight to the biography info-dump when she
Will M.
One of the shortest yet most disappointing reads I've ever had. This had such an interesting premise, but the delivery was terrible. The writing felt like I was reading a YA novel. The main character was really annoying. Let me quote some annoying or contradicting or stupid things that happened.

"Okay, big boy," she said, when she was finished and confident that was the only wound the dog had received during the fight. "How about I fix us some dinner?

The mention of food seemed to get Thor's at
February Four
Red rain good. Aliens good. (Awesome concept.) Biker who can't drive, good. Obstacles in her path, plausible. But seriously. Packing all those clothes, food, stores?

1. Yes, there is talk of scavenging along the way, explaining why she's not carrying too much food. There are bike stores in most major towns, but I can see packing lots of bike supplies because you don't want to get stuck between towns without bike-fixing gear. But seriously--limiting yourself to a liter of water a day? Can't you c
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
A Badass Hidden Gem...

Read my review at

I admit it. I’m a fan of the series Doomsday Preppers. I also have a major crush on Les Stroud of Survivorman. There is something about a guy that can survive with nothing but his common sense and his knowledge of the world around him! I will also admit to having an emergency backpack filled with stuff that I hope to never need. I’m not a fanatic in any way, shape or form. I’m semi-prepared for e
Experiment BL626
CAUTION: Long Review, Slight Spoilers

I hesitated reading Extinction Point (EP) because I did not care for the author's other Apocalyptic book, Towards Yesterday. However, when the author offered me a free copy I took the opportunity. At most I would have wasted my time and be placed in an awkward situation of low-star rating the book. Yes, it's that same kind of awkwardness when Grandma gives you a present... and it's an ugly sweater. Fortunately, I found the book thoroughly enjoyable.

EP starts
4.5 Stars

Everyone has their own way of realizing to what degree they are enjoying a book they are reading. For me it comes down to a few things.
1.) I think about the story when I'm not reading it.
2.) I look forward to picking it back up again.
3.) I am disappointed when it is done.
If I don't look forward to reading a book, then it's just filler. When this book ended I was definitely irritated with myself for not taking longer to enjoy it. (I'll know better when the next one comes out!) Someth
Erin (PT)
When I read the first/sample chapter of Extinction Point on my Kindle, I thought that a) here was a book in that narrow crevice of intersecting interests that I and my husband could read together and b) here was a story that had an interesting premise. As far as it goes, both those things were right.

I still maintain that Extinction Point has an interesting premise…but the author does nothing interesting with it. There are many problems here.

And I have to confess, I felt overwhelmed when I sat d
NOTE: Whenever passages from the book are quoted, all emphases are mine.

This review is full of spoilers. I can’t even begin to describe how incomplete, how uninspiring, how nothing this book was without spoiling it. Besides, you really don’t want to read it. Trust me on this.

I read Extinction Point because my wife downloaded a free sample on her Kindle, read it, and thought the book might be something we’d enjoy reading together. Boy, was she wrong. That I promised to read the book to completion
11811 (Eleven)
This sucked so bad I DNF'd at around 10% and regret every second of my time wasted. It was free and I still want my money back. The writing was horribad. May God have mercy on us all.
Rita Wiebner
So I really liked the concept behind this book, a very interesting take on the apocalypse/post-apocalypse genre. The idea of the "red rain" was fascinating, however, there were some flaws with the book that prevented me from giving it a higher rating.

First, what I enjoyed. Like I said above, I really enjoyed the take on what has happened in this book. The "red rain" and the results of that, are fascinating so far, and I am very interested to see where it goes. Also, throwing in the aspect of not
Tim Bergmann
Really kind of disappointed here

first the good: the premise, great idea. You're basically one of the last people on earth due to a kind of stealth alien invasion. Author looks like he set everything up well, planned out the way the alien takeover is happening and looks like he has a plan for the future.

the bad: the heroine. Doesn't drive at the beginning is really no big deal. That at age 30ish that she's never driven is a bit unrealistic, but okay, I can roll with that. However, if you are the
Liz Barnsley
I'm a bit of a sucker for a good apocalypse it has to be said. Extinction Point was a highly readable example, lone surivor, strange alien goings on, people dropping dead all over the place and the world changing rather significantly.

This is a fairly short and quick read following our main protagonist Emily in the 7 days following a mysterious red rain that has wiped everyone else out (and not in a pretty way either, some of the descriptive passages in this novel are rather horrific which all ad
I really wanted to give this book a higher rating because I enjoyed the concept, the execution however, made it a frustrating read. The book desperately needs editing, simple actions like eating or dressing are written about in excruciating detail which detracts from a strong premise and slows the pace down to a limp. There are some major flaws in the plot, namely riding to Alaska on a bike (!) because Emily, the lead character, has never learned to drive. This was frankly infuriating and nonsen ...more
After reading a glowing review of this book from a GoodReads friend and finding that it was available for a mere $2.99 on Kindle, I had to snatch it up. Then, on a sleepless night when I was sick of the never-ending book I was reading, I decided to give this one a try. Oh, sweet popcorn! I was soon devouring this book with eyes flying over the pages at record speeds.

Reports of red rain come to New York from Europe shortly before all contact with Europe ceases. So when red rain begins to fall in
There is so much I didn't like about this.

Emily as a leading character, wasn't a strong enough personality for one. Every now and then there may be a little "fun fact" about her slipped in between scenes but other than that the book is like a to-do list of her day.

Maybe the author wanted a very plain generic " everywoman" type of lead. But all this does is make me not care one way or the other about whatever happens to her.

Oh and do we know what happens to her!! We know every second of her fr
Steven Konkoly
Paul Jones has started a refreshingly unique Post-Apocalyptic series, unlike anything I have read in the genre. Set in the present day, Extinction Point starts out with news of an advancing world-wide phenomena... an intense red colored rain that falls mysteriously at 12:30 PM local time and abruptly stops a few minutes later. Emily Baxter, reporter for a Manhattan based newspaper, finds herself indoors when the thick crimson rain strikes the concrete jungle around her. Careful to avoid contact ...more
David P Forsyth
While building on a popular apocalyptic theme, there is more than enough original plot and imagination to set this book apart from the crowd. Think The Day of the Triffids meets Invasion of the Body Snatchers meets I am Legend and you still won't have grasped the full scope of the apocalypse in Paul Jones' artfully crafted tale of extinction and survival. Five stars for this up and coming author. I can't wait for the sequel.

If I were to offer any criticism of this book, besides being too short
Karen Silvestri
I honestly don’t pay much attention to the bestseller’s list anymore. I get my reading material free from Amazon. Yes, it is risky. Not all of the novels are worth reading and many are not edited properly (see previous post on the New Novel), but now and then you find a gem!
I just finished reading Extinction Point by Paul Jones and couldn’t put it down. (see below for synopsis) There were two or three minor typos, but the story was so engaging that it really didn’t hinder my enjoyment of the sto
Extinction point is interesting. It's a pretty big chore to get me to read a book with very little dialog. I probably could've given this one four big whopping stars if not for one small detail...

Seriously, her motive for choosing to ride a bike is that she never learned to drive a car. You know what type of person can't drive a car? Little people who can't reach the pedals and people without feet, who can't reach the pedals.

It se
Although the concept is good, and the author does a good job with the scenes involving the other worldly creatures, the book needs to be edited to make it a tighter read. Explaining every move the main character makes is unnecessary.

A pet peeve of mine with sequels is when the first book can't really stand alone because it is more like a movie trailer. It gets you interested, but nothing is really resolved. At the end you feel like you were just left hanging after all that build-up.

All this make
OMG..... Totally loved this book, it has to have been the most creepiest atmospheric scifi I have read in a long time. It made my heart race . Not a good idea to read certain sections late at night. It haunted me to the point where every squeak + rattle of my central heating made me jump. Kudos to Mr Jones for giving me a good thrill.... but don't leave me hanging too long for book 2 !!!!
Heather Thurmeier
I really wanted to like this story more than I actually did. The overall concept of the plot was very intriguing, but the execution of it just fell short for me. I wish more had happened in the book instead of the character making one poor choice after another. Who stays in a city full of scary alien creatures for DAYS while collecting supplies that could probably have been collected in 1 day? Who in their right mind goes back to their alien-infested apartment building, which is a 17 (?) story w ...more
25% and I was still skimming, waiting for something other than her every move and inner thought to be described in excruciating detail, nope, time to move on.
TW Brown
This brings a fun and new twist to the Apocalypse genre. I honestly did not have any idea what to expect, but this book pulled me in from the start. Obviously no spoilers, but this twisted little story introduces you to a strong, smart female protagonist in Emily Baxter.

Now, I will say that this first book is set up, and it leaves A LOT of open questions. There were scenes where I really wanted to know what the heck was going on with the various "things" that formed after the red rain. I will be
The world deserves a better lone survivor than silly Emily Baxter, but I guess you gots to dance with them that brung you.

Red rain (and yes, you'll have Peter Gabriel's warble in your head every time the term comes up) appears all over the world with no warning. Eight hours later, everyone is dead. Well, nearly everyone. The universe, in its wisdom allows Emily Baxter to survive. Now, she lives in NYC and she reaches out via internet, yet she hears from (almost) no one? That just doesn't work. I
You know what's one way to really dampen the mood of a post-apocalyptic story that actually has some REALLY good scenes and some REALLY good scares, including a stairwell-turns-dark scene that had me leaning forward in my seat on the subway as I read it?

Have the character actually exclaim things like "Ouch!" and act like a wisecracking valley girl just two days into a post-apocalyptic event that wipes out the planet.

I don't know. Like I said, this book had some REALLY good scenes and scares, and
I picked this book up during a free deal period and wow am I glad I did. This was a very well written book and one that I couldn't put down.

The main character was well written and you really felt for her and the addition of the partner at the end was great and pulled on my heart strings

If you like end of mankind, biological alien invasion stories, then you love this book.
Belinda Lewis
Truly dull.

Which is amazing considering the post-apocalyptic-alien-food-goo-premise.

Terrible main character, abysmal writing style.
Well usually I hear the words 'self published' and steer well clear. But I'm glad I read this, because it was a surprisingly good piece of light post-apocalyptic fun.

I've heard people making unfair comparisons to The Road, how The Road was good but this was bad. But... you know, I loved The Road, it was unquestionably a piece of high art, but heavens is was desperately depressing.

And I quite liked about this book, it was post-apocalypse as we might imagine in our heads where it's actually kind o
  • The Zona
  • H10N1
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 (Yesterday's Gone, #1)
  • Breakdown
  • Breakers (Breakers, #1)
  • Voyage of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #1)
  • The Final Winter
  • Half Past Midnight
  • Story Time
  • What Came After
  • Selection Event
  • The Jakarta Pandemic
  • Sundered (The Nevermore Trilogy, #1)
  • Sleepers
  • Sector C
  • Post-Human (Post-Human, #2)
  • Bones: The Complete Apocalypse Saga
  • Dead Things
I’ve been a writer for well over 25 years, now; as a journalist, short-story writer and freelance copywriter. I can now add author to that list.

In May of 2011 I released Towards Yesterday, my first novel. I’ve also released a compilation of short stories (Dangerous Places) and, my most recent project, the first book in a new series, the post-apocalyptic adventure Extinction Point.

I’m currently wor
More about Paul Antony Jones...

Extinction Point (4 books)
  • Exodus (Extinction Point, #2)
  • Revelations (Extinction Point #3)
  • Genesis (Extinction Point #4)

“The level of some people’s intelligence never failed to amaze her.” 0 likes
“wasn’t it truly ironic that the sole surviving human—that’s what she felt like, after all—would be a journalist? The biggest news story ever and there was no one left alive to tell it to. It really was just too much.” 0 likes