Start by marking “The Bible Jesus Read” as Want to Read:
The Bible Jesus Read

The Bible Jesus Read

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,383 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Philip Yancey has a way of confronting our most cherished but misguided notions about faith. In The Bible Jesus Read, he challenges the perception that the New Testament is all that matters and the Old Testament isn’t worth taking the time to read and understand. Yancey admits that, like many Christians, he usually avoided the Old Testament. After all, why bother with writ ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Zondervan (first published July 13th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Bible Jesus Read, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bible Jesus Read

M Christopher
If you are one of those deprived Christians whose exposure to the Old Testament is severely limited, then this book is a must-read. Likewise if all of your OT knowledge involves an angry God looking for reasons to blast people or damn them for eternity. If, however, you grew up getting a healthy dose of Old Testament accompanied by interpretation that realized that "God So Loved the World" even back before Jesus, then... well, Yancey writes well.

Yancey's book is readable and even entertaining. H
Scott Taylor
Once in a while, I need to be reminded of things. Reminded that its time to do the taxes. Reminded that the oven is turned on. Reminded that I promised to take out the trash. You get the idea. This book is a reminder of the significance and relevance of Old Testament.

The first chapter is entitled "Is the OT worth the effort?" A question I have related to, particular while slogging my way through sections of some of the histories. The OT is simply packed with information, and in many ways the sto
Coyle
This book is an interesting meditation on the Old Testament (and it is a meditation, not a commentary or a scholarly analysis). Though I don't always agree with Yancey's conclusions, he tends to have an interesting way of stating long-familiar concepts.
One of the most interesting parts of the book are his arguments for why we should read the OT. He argues that the OT is:
1. Necessary to understanding the modern world;
2. Necessary to understanding the New Testment;
3. Necessary for apologetics;
Bee Lubis
Wikipedia defies a Christian as "a person who adheres to Christianity, a monotheistic religion centered on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as presented in the New Testament and interpreted by Christians to have been prophesied in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament".

I admit my self as a follower of Jesus Christ, but refused to be called as a Christian since people mostly placed Christianity just a religion and sometimes put Christ Himself out of the concept and context.

A friend of mine lent me
Melissa
Philip Yancey is so thoroughly thoughtful as he examines themes and scriptures. The chapter on Job resonates with me. I feel I will have to go back to that again. I long for my faith to be strong, I want to say and mean, “Even if the Lord sees fit to kills me, I will still trust him.”

The chapter on Psalms made me very reflective on my prayer practices. I am naturally a bit of a score-keeper, somone who easily holds grudges. I need to take my negative emotions to God, pour them out to him, and fo
Michael Morris
Mr. Yancey's personable style is one element of this book that is makes The Bible Jesus Read a winner for me. Don't expect cold exegesis or hellfire ranting, but a friendly, honest exploration of a few of the (for him) troublesome books of the Hebrew Scriptures, a la Kathleen Norris (whom he quotes a few times). One should not expect theological ramblings, though the theology seems pretty solid to me. One of the cornerstones of Yancey's argument is that these books of the Bible are about differe ...more
Nicole
My favorite Philip Yancey book. He really brings the Old Testament to life for me. I enjoy having his insight, it'sn not a Bible study on the Old Testament. My favorite chapter is the one on Job's life, helping me to grasp what to do with suffering in the world.
Mary A
This is my first Philip Yancey book but I certainly don't plan for it to be my last. He makes the Old Testament--The bible Jesus read--come alive! And I think I can actually enjoy and apply books like Deuteronomy, Job and Ecclesiastes.
The Bible Jesus Read by Philip Yancey clarifies some things that I didn't even know needed clarifying for me.:) God's teaching me a lot about the Old Testament and Himself through it.
A MUST READ.
Brady
This is my fourth Philip Yancey book and I think this confirms he is one of my favorite authors. He has a writing style that is the perfect blend of interesting dialog, hard hitting truth, and accessibility. I find myself engaged and always learn a lot each time I pick up one of his books.

This book in particular was insightful in that it covered a wide range of topics from the Old Testament, culminating in how Jesus ties it all together. By focusing on Job, Deuteronomy, Psalms, Ecclesiastes, an
Ron
Helpful look at a first century perspective on Old Testament scriptures.
Majuchan
Dec 08, 2012 Majuchan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Majuchan by: Suslijah
Timely

It was given to me some years ago, but I have not finished reading it. Actually I just used it as a reference a guide when reading the bible especially the Old Testament. Then I just keep it on my cabinet for a long period of time.

Recently when I was rummaging for a booklet for my brother, (which I didn't found) I found this book and I told myself, why I don't give it a try. Actually I already forgot what the book was all about. I placed it on the bottom pile of my to-read books. Then one
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Het Oude Testament wordt door velen als ‘moeilijk’ ervaren. Wat moet een geestvervuld christen, vrij van slavernij en wet, levend onder de genade met offerrituelen, wetten, oorlogsverhalen, lastig uit te spreken namen? Philip Yancey’s De Bijbel die Jezus heeft gelezen nodigt uit tot herontdekken van het Oude Testament. Want, geef toe, noch Jezus, noch de apostelen beschikten over het Nieuwe Testament. Na een inleiding, neemt Yancey je mee langs een aantal van die moeilijke boeken: Job, Deuterono ...more
Toby
I must admit, a long time ago, I read a Yancey book and decided that he was a fluffy, feel good, low substance Christian author that deserved to be sold on the shelves with the crappy Christian souvenirs rather than with solid thinkers like Zacharias and Moreland. While I still don't believe that he is a great apologist or academician, I now have to take back all those things I thought. This was one of his earlier books (his third?) and I think it is a major accomplishment. Read it as more of a ...more
Bobbettylou
This book grabbed me because it asked - and answered - many of the questions I have about the Old Testament. When I finished reading through the OT last year, I asked, as Yancey did, "was it worth the effort," and, "is this the same God I see in the New Testament and especially in Jesus?" Yancey grew up as I did, surrounded by fundamentalist, dispensationalist, revivalist Christianity.

In the engaging style of the journalist who makes his living as a writer (Editor-at-large of Christianity Today)
Clara Roberts
This is a book about the Old Testament. Yancy discusses Job, Deuteronomy, Psalms, Ecclesiastes, and the Prophets. Despite having read the O.T. many times, I find that Yancy brings fresh eyes to the ancient book. He reminds the reader that Job is really about a crisis of faith and not suffering. In Deuteronomy "Moses' life hads a single theme: God did it." Moses who was refused entrance to the Promise Land stood in the middle of the Promise land with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration. Most of ...more
Bethany
I was hoping this would be an explanation of the New Testament from a first century Jewish perspective. It is rather Yancy's reflections on some of the more difficult Old Testament texts, that modern Christians tend to avoid or gloss over, explaining how these seemingly strange or foreign concepts are actually relevant to our contemporary Christian lives. The stuff that good sermons are made of. I especially enjoyed his chapters on Ecclesiastes and the Prophets, where he puts these writings in a ...more
Trailhoundz
I borrowed the audiobook version of this text from my local library. It was fantastic! Easy to understand, but it delved into some OT books that I wasn't familiar with. Very insightful, I highly recommend it.
Brent Soderstrum
I am a Phillip Yancey fan. This book covers Job, Pslams, Dueteronomy, Ecclesiastes and the prophets. I enjoyed his coverage of Eccleiastes and Job the most. He has covered the situation about when bad things happen to good people before in Disappointment With God and Where Is God When It Hurts? He handles this area very well in covering the book of Job. Eccleiastes was an unfamiliar book of the Old Testament for me and it was an interesting section. Basically it comes down to the fact that we ar ...more
Deepak George
A very good book and a must read for Old Testament novices. My first book of the Philip Yancey collection, and I am impressed!!
The book give a whole new perspective and clear understanding of scripture portions,in deciphering some of the hidden truths that modern Christians grapple with-
Job and question of pain and suffering, the blessings and warnings of Israels future in Deuteronomy,the confusion and ambiguity in the theme of Psalms,the perennial question of the goodness,existence and omnipote
Jeremy Davis
Like all Yancey books, The Bible Jesus Read is compelling, informative, and smart. I read this years ago and it is on my "to re-read" list, and might forever be.
Julie Hertenberger
Amazing read

I didn't want the book to end. It was full of incite from Philip Yancey's walk with the Lord and study of His Word. I will read it again and again.
Amy Johanning
As a journalist, Yancey has the unique ability to explain complex and philosophical thoughts into practical and realistic applications. In this book, Yancey takes several sections of the Old Testament (Job, Deuteronomy, Psalms, Ecclesiastes and the Prophets) and reveals his own interpretation. His observations help answer the questions, "Do I matter," "Does God Care," and "Why does God not act?" These questions are as relevant today as they were thousands of years ago.

A must read for any theolo
Leslie Ferguson
This was a thought provoking book. Philip Yancey does a good job encouraging readers who have never entered the conversation with the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament/Hebrew Scripture to not dread the hard books of the Bible.

Yancey paints a picture of the humanity of the Torah, Writings, and Prophets and how those topics discussed in antiquity are not simply history but poignantly relevant in modern times.

I encourage anyone with an interest in the entirety of the Bible who has misgivings of the Old Te
Nate
This book is about the author's gaining of appreciation for the Old Testament. It was little too personal for me considering I was thinking it would be about how the Bible was understood in Jesus' time but enjoyable none the less. The highlights for me were the portrait he crafted of Moses which really brought him to life and the connection he made between Ecclesiastes and existentialism which gave me a beginners understanding of the later via my decent understanding of the prior.
Debbie
This wasn't my favorite Yancey book although he does provide many good ideas. I found his insights about Job, Psalms, and Ecclesiastes to be the best chapters. I have to admit the chapter on Deuteronomy dragged for me and his accounts written as if he was there during the time of Moses didn't work for me. But all in all, Yancey always has some original and common sense insight in his books and this one in no exception.
Kathryn
The forward and the 1st chapter are worth the read in this book that is no longer being published. Yancey offers a highly readable apologetic for why all those who believe in God should read Hebrew scripture - and not just the 'highlights'. He includes great 'stories' in the remainder of the chapters that remind us who we are and whose we are. I particularly liked the chapter on the book of Psalms.
Sue
Philip Yancey, in his usual clear style, looks at some of the books of the Old Testament. He explains why he thinks it's important for Christians to read them; he also gives an overview of what they're about. Different chapters cover Job, Deuteronomy, Psalms, Ecclesiastes, and the prophets in general.

Interesting and well worth reading, though not particularly deep or inspiring. Recommended.
Inder
This is not Yancey's best (Yancey's best, by far, is "Where is God When it Hurts?" although I really enjoyed a couple others as well). I read it because I was interested in the history of Jerusalem around the time of Christ. Since the Hebrew bible was such an important aspect of Jewish life at the time, this seemed like an interesting topic. But unfortunately, it's deadly boring.
Dena
As usual Yancey delivers a thought-provoking, well written book. As others have said, it is not in any way a comprehensive look at the Old Testament but a devotional or meditation on some of the Old Testament books that needed clarifying in his life. He does a wonderful job of helping any Christian sort through some of the challenging parts of that. Definitely worth the read.
  • The Wisdom of Tenderness: What Happens When God's Fierce Mercy Transforms Our Lives
  • Live Like a Jesus Freak: Spend Today as If It Were Your Last
  • Fresh Faith: What Happens When Real Faith Ignites God's People
  • Renovation of the Heart
  • Adam and His Kin: The Lost History of Their Lives and Times
  • Love Beyond Reason: Moving God's Love from Your Head to Your Heart
  • Eternity in Their Hearts:  Startling Evidence of Belief in the One True God in Hundreds of Cultures Throughout the World
  • Hope Again
  • A Gentle Thunder: Hearing God Through the Storm
  • Septuagint with Apocrypha
  • Eat This Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading (Spiritual Theology #2)
  • Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith
A native of Atlanta, Georgia, Philip Yancey earned graduate degrees in Communications and English from Wheaton College Graduate School and the University of Chicago. He joined the staff of Campus Life Magazine in 1971, and worked there as Editor and then Publisher. He looks on those years with gratitude, because teenagers are demanding readers, and writing for them taught him a lasting principle: ...more
More about Philip Yancey...
What's So Amazing about Grace? The Jesus I Never Knew Where Is God When It Hurts? Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? Disappointment with God: Three Questions No One Asks Aloud

“Misunderstanding must be nakedly exposed before true understanding can begin to flourish.” 15 likes
“God does not seem impressed by size or power or wealth. Faith is what he wants, and the heroes who emerge are heroes of faith, not strength or wealth.” 8 likes