Start by marking “Immortal Becoming (The Enlightened Species, #1)” as Want to Read:
Immortal Becoming (The Enlightened Species, #1)

Immortal Becoming (The Enlightened Species #1)

Shane Einar is a five hundred year old warrior, sworn to duty and honor. His species has inhabited the earth since the beginning of time. The source of vampire, elf and fairy myths, Volaticus are in reality something completely different.

Shane never expected to meet Jess Reed, a female living amongst humanity completely unaware that she is a human/Elven hybrid race of Vola
Published February 2nd 2012 by Wendy S Hales (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Immortal Becoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immortal Becoming

Zarah
May 02, 2015 Zarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-lendable
**mild spoiler**
This book has a ton of great reviews and very few bad ones. I guess I'm in the minority, but I found myself constantly annoyed at with it. The writing was simplistic, but passable. So, that wasn't the issue. It was the characters and some aspects of the plot that made me alternatively scoff, roll my eyes, groan, growl and cringe and almost never laugh, smile, or blush. I just didn't particularly enjoy reading it.

Important things, like the kidnapping of a relatively major characte
PepperP0t
4.5stars actually – great start to a new series

I found this gem lounging in my TBR pile while looking for a book to fulfill some specific requirements. Once again the synopsis made me eager to read and I dove in as quickly as I could and was completely pulled into the storyline.

This quick and easy to read novel has a little different and enjoyable take on elven & human folk (vamps don’t exist in this world) as it introduces us to a great new series. Sweetly shy Jess Reed has been plagued wi
Hbeebti
Nov 29, 2013 Hbeebti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well well well, I have to say that this book was really good. I had no idea that it was about Elven's. Not elves. I thought for some reason that this was about witches. Its not at all. Jess and Shane pretty much fall in love right away. They hook up right away. In fact their relationship was very fast. But I really didn't care because when Jess meets Shane's family and then her own it was pretty entertaining. I will say that trying to remember and figure out who is who was confusing at times. ...more
Niina
Wonderful new world, unique setting, believable characters and romantic action, this novel was a pleasant surprise! I literally couldn't stop reading this novel until I was done, it's addictive. Hales does a great job in hooking the reader with a fresh paranormal world, new species and twist of all things old a legend - loved it!

Jess and Shane worked so well together, all that yummy tension turned to entertaining reading! Jess was lovely, kind but had a really good attitude at times when she nee
Brianna Kilcrease
Mar 20, 2012 Brianna Kilcrease rated it really liked it
The First Line: "This is going to hurt. Pulling into the parking lot of the academy, Jess could feel her mental barriers being pounded by densely populated emotions. She'd be lucky if she didn't end up in a seizure after being exposed to this much psychic stimulu."

Ive been reading alot of great paranormal romances lately. It's like all my blog tours lined up right after each other to form one big paranormal romance bash. And I'm enjoying it if I can't say so myself. Immortal Becoming is definite
Valerie Mcqueen
Oct 03, 2012 Valerie Mcqueen rated it it was amazing
My review of Immortal Becoming by Wendy S. Hales
Book One of the Enlightened Species

Rating 5*****

This book was provided free in exchange for honest literary review. The opinions expressed are solely my own. A Book on the Bright Side review.

. Jess has lived most of her life in seclusion. Being psychic sends her into massive sensory overloads around large group of people. at times it has even cause seizures and bleeding from the nose. All of the changes when Shane walked into her life. Shane brough
Cait Lavender
Mar 27, 2012 Cait Lavender rated it it was amazing
Wendy S. Hales has done something that’s very hard to do as a writer: Take the classic tale of star crossed lovers and make it new and fresh. I loved the funny interactions between Jess and Shane, got caught up in the lovemaking scenes *fans myself* and couldn’t put it down when the detailed action sequences began.
Jess is a very likeable character. She’s all by herself with powers she doesn’t understand but when it’s revealed to her exactly what she is, she handles it with ladylike poise and ap
Ebony
Jul 16, 2012 Ebony rated it liked it
The idea of something involving both faeries and vampires, honest to God made my toes curl. However, reading further into the book, I realised that it was nothing like I was expecting.

Volaticus, the source of vampire, elf and fairy myths seemed to be a new breakthrough at trying to be individual and made my head spin, in both a good and bad way.

While the plot is unique and the characters (for the most part) are believeable, I have personally only reached 2/3 through the way of the book and feel
Amy
May 01, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
Jenny
While I didn't care for the amount of romance/sex in the book, the world building in this book made up for that. I loved the world Hales created in this series along with the bigger plot in which Jess needed to exercise her new powers.

There were some drawbacks though that prevented me from giving it 5 stars. (view spoiler)
Deb Julienne
Mar 21, 2012 Deb Julienne rated it it was amazing
Immortal Becoming...Where to start? This book was probably one of the best paranormals I've ever read. Now that said, while I love reading them, some of them drive me nuts with their alternate worlds. You never get a good picture of the charaters and how they morph. NOT THIS ONE. It was so well written that when I finished I didn't have a single question except when is Book I going to be released. Shane and Jess were like family when I finished. I want Shane to be my protector and Jess my best ...more
Mary
Aug 02, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
Immortal Becoming by Wendy S Bales was a good book with characters that were well-developed and an interesting storyline. My favorite part of the story was when the author was telling the story behind the different species. I felt a tug when Bales wrote about Jess and Shane's bonding. The only reason I gave the story a three is because I resented all of the sex scenes that took away from the story. While the descriptions are okay Bales does a much better job describing the emotions between ...more
Zoe
Nov 02, 2013 Zoe rated it it was amazing
An absolutely amazing story. It has really specific detail, involving all the senses, which make such a compelling and interesting read. I got totally sucked into the other world created. I loved the main characters personality's, but even the sub characters where really interesting. I really enjoyed it, very much!
Louisa
Mar 20, 2012 Louisa rated it it was amazing
Great, great book, enjoyed the enlightened characters, and the family trees that deveopled, and the names, well, some of them, but it was a bit confusing when it was like there was 2 generations of "e" names, then a generation of "m" names, and finally a generation of "j" names. Other than that, really good! Hope the cover is added to goodreads soon!
Kyra Dunst
Aug 21, 2013 Kyra Dunst rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story. The setting and characters are very well done. There were some minor editing problems, such as missed punctuation, but it did not detract from the story. I would give it a five star rating if the editing issues were resolved. I would still recommend this book to lovers of paranormal romances.
Leigh
Jul 27, 2013 Leigh rated it liked it
I really enjoyed Immortal Becoming even though around 70% I started to lose interest because I felt like I had information overload. I also felt there was just too much going on at the end. Shane and Jess's romance was really sweet even though I would have enjoyed them together more with Shane teaching her the ways. I'm looking forward to the next book.
Ruthie
Dec 17, 2014 Ruthie rated it it was ok
This had been sitting in my TBR pile for forever, finally decided to give it a shot. It was an OK book but too confusing. Too many people with weird names. different species, different abilities, who's related to who. Throw in a battle with all these people in the mix and Im completely lost.
I dont think I'll be reading the other books in this series.
Patty
Apr 25, 2012 Patty rated it it was amazing
What a great first book. I was captivated and read the book in one sitting. Wendy has a way of bringing you into the volaticus world and connecting you deeply with each characters. The love scenes are steamy and leave you wanting more.
Krystal
Oct 03, 2014 Krystal rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
This book started off really good; until about 70% in. I can totally understand world building, but I started getting information overload. I really think some of the parts could have been omitted. Also the glossary probably should have been at the beginning of the book.
Jacky Faber
Apr 10, 2012 Jacky Faber rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Story was OK, nothing special. I got tired of all the world building. I don't dislike world building because I've read many such books, but this world didn't interest me for some reason. I ended up scanning a lot of the book.
Melissa
Jan 17, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
The synopsis captures describes the story, however there is so much more. The species in this book are different than any book I have ever encountered. The names can be a bit difficult to follow but hang in there and you'll be fine.
Ellen
May 07, 2012 Ellen rated it liked it
Very good. Tended to ramble a bit, especially when trying to convey backstory. But I thought that the story and the romance were very well developed, especially compared to most self-pub books.
Ashley
Sep 23, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
Got kind of lost at the start. But, I found my way. Haven't picked up #2 yet, but I will soon.

I'd give a lot to see what they look like in true form!
flornce richo
flornce richo rated it did not like it
Jun 11, 2015
Trish
Trish rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Tiffany Moody
Tiffany Moody rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2013
Jorge Romero
Jorge Romero rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2015
Jennifer Koontz
Jennifer Koontz rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Toby Streams the Universe
  • The Queen's Betrayal (Bloodtruth #2)
  • Dark Rapture (Beautiful Creatures, #1)
  • Got a Hold on You
  • The Ouroboros Cycle, Book Two: A Cautionary Tale for Young Vampires
  • Reclaimed: A Highland Historical Trilogy (Highland Historical, #4-6) (The MacKays, #1-3)
  • Expecting Eternity (Vamp Life, #2)
  • The Heart of the Stone (Stonewiser, #1)
  • Cobweb Empire (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #2)
  • The Sibylline Oracle (The Oracles #1)
  • Banished from Grace (Fall from Grace #1)
  • Bound to Me
  • Memories of Murder
  • The Sweetest Revenge
  • Dark Moonlighting (Dark Moonlighting, #1)
  • Once Again (Sky Cove, #1)
  • Enigma
  • A Night at Tears of Crimson (Tears of Crimson, #1)
During my hectic life of working and raising children the call of a story in my mind was not always welcome. The niggling character or plot that refused to leave my thoughts until I would sit down a write something … a synopsis, character profile, anything to relieve the creative pressure. With my children grown, and my husbands loving support I dove head first into the depths of my passion and ...more
More about Wendy S. Hales...

The Enlightened Species (4 books)
  • Shadow Revealed (The Enlightened Species, #2)
  • Fire's Touch (The Enlightened Species, #3)
  • The Enlightened Species Bundle Set (The Enlightened Species, #1-2.5)