Protector's Mate

Protector's Mate

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  35 reviews
After two years in a war zone, werewolf Felicia Serna has finally returned to find another pack has taken over her territory…and the new second-in-command is the very man who haunts her fantasies.

Alaric has wanted Felicia from the moment he laid eyes on her, and now he’s ready to claim her. When a threatening shifter begins stalking them, he’s determined to protect her…eve...more
ebook
Published April 1st 2012 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2012)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

In PROTECTOR’S MATE, Felicia Serna has returned from a war zone to find that her territory has been taken over by another pack. Normally, this would be enough to cause her werewolf hackles to rise, but there’s something more that sends a shiver through her. The new second-in-command is no other than the man who stars in all her fantasies – sexy, sexy Alaric.

Though this story may be short, it is nothing close to sweet. Reus packs action and red hot heat into this little...more
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Felicia ran from her pack and their harsh treatment of her, the unworthy mongrel. She found a life among humans in Afghanistan. Using her nursing skills she was able to help many people. Her werewolf genes allowed her to go into dangerous situations without having to worry about injuries that would kill a mere human. After two years her contract has ended and now she finds herself returning home with few options of where to go.

Alaric has spent the past two years worried about Felicia. He has kep...more
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
My Rating: 4 stars: Enjoyed - strongly recommend(A-)

Felicia is a wolf shifter that was betrayed and hurt by her own pack. She fled overseas to use her nursing skills in a war zone. After her service is up, she sneaks back home, hoping to make a quiet life for herself. Alaric, second command of Felicia’s new pack, has lusted after Felicia for years - always keeping a distance since she was too young to commit to the mating call. (We meet Alaric in the first book, Destined Mate.) Knowing that he c...more
Darcy
This was a fun little short that was very hot. I liked how Alaric knew Felicia was for him, but gave her the space to grow up before he claimed her. I do wish that he would have explained things more to Felicia as it would have made her less secure. I wish that there would have been more with this one.
Lea
Wolf shifter Felicia Serna returns home to Alabama after 2 years working as a nurse with an international health organization in war-torn Afghanistan. Shifter packs in North America control designated regions and the vast majority of wolves live in the packs and which provide companionship and protection. Felicia, however, is an anomaly, abandoned by her parents at a young age, she was taken in by a pack that treated her as an outsider. She worked hard, earned her nursing degree then fled overse...more
Melissa
I've blogged before about Katie Reus, and how much I love her books.
Protector's Mate, which is a Nocturne Craving's short takes us back into her world of shifters.

Felicia Serna, a small wolf shifter, had fled her adopted shifter territory to become a nurse in a war zone...it was the only way she could escape the nastiness and abuse that was heaped on her not only from the rest of the pack, but from the Alpha himself. While overseas for two years, Felicia was startled then secretly thrilled whe...more
Lillie
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the pro side, I loved the romance. Felicia was a heroine that was easy to like and relate to. Because of her past, she has a lot of insecurities and fears yet she still left everything she knew to go to Afghanistan and help others. When she comes back and everything goes crazy, she tries not to let those insecurities impact the present.

Alaric was equally great. He had known for years that Felicia was his mate but he also knew she was too young so he step...more
Sandy
PROTECTOR’S MATE by Katie Reus

Protector’s Mate is the second novel in Katie Reus Nocturne Craving series of paranormal stories. Following shortly after the events in Destined Mate, Protector’s Mate follows shifter wolf Alaric and his soon to be mate Felicia, as they are followed by a trio of wolves hoping to stop their reunion.

Felicia Serna is a lone wolf who was abandoned by her family as a pup, and with no apparent pack to call her own, she enlisted for a tour of duty in Afghanistan. Five year...more
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by: Lori
Book provided by: Publisher
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

This is a stand alone book, but I happened to notice that there are other books associated with this book that are part of a series. The title doesn’t say this is a series, but there is a back listing of books that suggest that the story continues with other books. You don’t need to read the books that come before this one. Things will make sense and you’ll be able to follow the story.

Alaric is a man on a m...more
Christi Snow
My Review:
A- rating

Ooh, what a fabulous book. Felicia is home after spending two years in Afghanistan as a nurse. Two years ago, she fled from her pack after the alpha pursued her and she turned him down. She's always been rebuffed by her pack. She was abandoned as a pup and nothing that her pack has done over the years has ever helped to improve her self-image.

When Felicia met Alaric, she was only nineteen years old and felt an immediate draw to him, but she never thought she would be worthy o...more
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC

Katie Reus never fails to captivate me with her stories and Protector’s Mate is just another title to add to my growing list of favorite reads from this author.

Felicia Serna left her werewolves pack two years ago to escape her deplorable alpha, traveling across the ocean to war-torn Afghanistan as a nurse to help the humans there. Now that Felicia’s contract has ended she has nowhere else to go but back home. Hoping to quickly pick up a few items stashed away at human friend’s before figuring ou...more
Kathy
Janina
This was a short, quick and sweet novella. I really enjoyed it. I don't think I have read too many novellas before, but I enjoyed it a lot! The characters were amazing Alaric and Felicia were amazing characters and I really appreciated there characters. And this book was written about my hometown!!! Where I freakin live!!! That is hilarious :) I have never read a book before based in my hometown. Around my hometown, yes, but not in it! COOL :D!

Back to the story... It had some very heated scenes...more
Kelly % Books-n-Kisses
Protector’s Mate is Katie Reus’ follow up book to Destined Mates. While this is not a series, both books are set in the same world. In Proctor’s Mate we get to know Alaric, who is Knox’s (from Destined Mate) second in command, better.

Alaric has waited patiently for the woman who will become his mate. But when someone trys to kill her Alaric will do everything he can to protect her. Alaric is a total bad-ass type of guy. But he is also very sweet and loving towards Felicia. While Felicia is unsu...more
Irene Jackson
This is the first book by Katie Reus that I have read and it definately won't be the last!
I read this book in two goes today because I got caught up in the story and didn't want to stop. It's quite short but packs in a lot. Alaric and Felicia have a great story , the background to their meeting again is given in more than enough detail to bring us up to date and from then on it's action and scorching love scenes right through. I loved Alaric , a gorgeous protective alpha and Felicia was a good m...more
Stacy
PROTECTOR'S MATE continues in the same world as DESTINED MATE. Katie's Novella's are short and to the point but still full of character development and steamy romance. I never felt as though I was missing something or that a scene was rushed. Even with everything else going on we still get a great action scene thrown in. Alaric and Felicia had amazing chemistry and I enjoyed reading their mating story. I cant wait to see who Katie writes about next.
Amy (So Many Reads Book Blog)
I just love Katie Reus' writing and this novella was another great shifter story of hers. I love the whole mating idea that one person (or werewolf) is intended for another. While it is sensual it isn't erotic. It might appear that way in the cover, but I don't read erotic romance and felt this one was romantic and sensual and went along with the storyline very well. I highly recommend Katie's books both paranormal and romantic suspense!
E_bookpushers
Tantalizing idea. I really enjoyed the excerpt I had read but I wanted more worldbuilding and history. I got to see glimpses of why the heroine is how she is but it seemed like there was a lot left out. I also thought the answer behind who tried to kill the heroine was a bit too simplistic. I guess I feel let down because I liked the excerpt so much.
Avey Shannon
Rated 4 ½ stars - “Protector’s Mate” is a short but tender love story, a sequel to “Destined Mate”. The characters of Alaric and Felicia are a perfect pair. Do hope other stories will be written about this pack’s members because they are all becoming extremely interesting.
Kelley
Much better than the others I read in this line from HQ. it was still probably 60/40 sex to story ratio but I didn't feel quite as much that the story got the short straw. We had werewolves primarily with a few vampire mentions in there too.
Lucrethia Clark
I really enjoyed this book. Unfortunately i did not read the first one yet so now I have to go back and read the first one. I enjoyed the alpha male character and i only wish that the book was longer. It was over way too quickly.
Mara
I read about this novella in Cynthia Eden's blog. It's nice, but short. So short that I read it in less than an hour at lunch break.

It's a pleasant way to pass the time, but not much more.
Anne
Apr 30, 2013 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I really enjoyed this. For a shorter story, the characters were pretty well developed. It was hot and sweet. I hope to see more of this couple in the other related books.
Alice
Actually I give this 1&1/2 stars. Good idea..Good characters..But it's not fleshed out. It read like a draft or detailed outline. Disappointing..could have been really good.
Aqua Woodard
love this book ended up going to read the series.
have everything i love in a good werewolf book.
Alpha Male!!! alert all the was
Possessive!! of course
Susan Commeford
Another satisfying read by Katie Reus. I love her stories of strong women and the men who live them. Will keep looking for more.
Annelise
This is a wonderful book. Not only does it have action but it also has the conflict and romance to balance it out.
Melindeeloo
Very thin on story and long on sex and had me skimming the steamy stuff. So it was just okay.
Danielle
Wonderful short read. I really enjoyed this novella, highly recommend!
  • Claiming His Mate (Crescent Moon, #2)
  • The Wolf Within (Purgatory, #1)
  • Taming The Dragon
  • Eternal Beauty (Mark of the Vampire #4.5)
  • Wolf Line (Granite Lake Wolves, #5)
  • Blood Mate (Project Rebellion, #2)
  • A Howl for a Highlander (Heart of the Wolf, #10)
  • To Hell and Back (League of Guardians, #1.5)
  • Gone with the Wolf (Seattle Wolf Pack, #1)
  • Seduced by the Vampire King (Vampire Warrior Kings, #2)
  • Soul Mate
  • Vampire Mine (Alpha and Omega, #3)
  • Darkness Rises (Immortal Guardians, #4)
  • Bayon/Jean-Baptiste (Bayou Heat, #3-4)
  • Blood Vow (Blood Moon Rising Trilogy, #3)
  • Moon Kissed (Wicked Games, #2)
Katie Reus is the New York Times, USA Today, & IndieReader bestselling author of the Red Stone Security series, the Moon Shifter series and the Deadly Ops series. She fell in love with romance at a young age thanks to books she pilfered from her mom's stash. Years later she loves reading romance almost as much as she loves writing it. However, she didn't always know she wanted to be a writer....more
More about Katie Reus...
Alpha Instinct (Moon Shifter, #1) No One to Trust (Red Stone Security, #1) Danger Next Door (Red Stone Security, #2) Primal Possession (Moon Shifter, #2) First Surrender (The Serafina: Sin City, #1)