Start by marking “The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year” as Want to Read:
The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year

The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year

2.88 of 5 stars 2.88  ·  rating details  ·  5,446 ratings  ·  995 reviews
The day her children leave home, Eva climbs into bed and stays there.

She's had enough - of her kids' carelessness, her husband's thoughtlessness and of the world's general indifference.

Brian can't believe his wife is doing this. Who is going to make dinner? Taking it badly, he rings Eva's mother - but she's busy having her hair done. So he rings his mother - she isn't surp
Published February 2012 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year

Bookphilia
Sometimes I forget that I don't have to read everything that comes into my bookstore.
Beverley Ferris
I was really looking forward to reading this book when I spotted it on amazon. A walk down memory lane as Adrian Mole was a fav during my teenage years.

Didn't quite know what to make of it.

I assumed it would be a parody of life. A woman who, having had a difficult life full of hardships finally giving up and retreating to bed. I kind of had in mind "The woman who walked into doors" or a "Rachael's holiday" - a story to unfold.....What I got was the story about a relatively well off , beautiful
Gerund
The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year is one of the best book titles in
recent years, nay, in all of English literature. "Wow, wish I could do
that too," was the common refrain by those who spotted me reading Sue
Townsend's latest novel, accompanied by a weary, wistful sigh.

Unfortunately, the title is the best thing about this disappointing
effort by the English author of Adrian Mole fame. In a nutshell: It is
quite boring. A lot of events occur, at random, in the episodic plot,
yet nothing manages to
Marta Bo
I have never written a review in my life but there is always the first time.
I will try.

I only gave this book 2 stars instead of 1 as I didn't hate it.

Daily Mail said 'I laughed until I cried.' Sunday times also 'Laugh-out-loud...'
I guess I have no sense of humour? I laughed only 4 times at the beginning of the book.

This is a story about 50 years old Eva who went to bed for a year.
No, she wasn't in coma, she has decided to.
After 100 pages I was tired and wanted Eva to leave the bed but unfortuna
ReadandRated
As I am currently experiencing a bit of enforced bed rest, this seemed an apt book to read!

It is billed as ‘laugh out loud’ and ‘wonderfully funny’, according to the back of the book Jeremy Paxman said “The publishers could offer a money-back guarantee if you don’t laugh and be sure they wouldn’t have to write a single cheque” – I am not so sure that I agree. It is certainly sharp and well-observed, with humorous descriptions in places, but is it a comedy? I think not.

Beautifully and intelligent
Sarah Goodwin
I think expectations ruined this book for me. I'd read some magazine articles about it before reading, including one that said it was the book that people should be obsessing over, instead of the 50 Shades series (which I heavily dislike). The cover quotes were also very exciting, saying it was hysterically funny, witty, passionate etc etc.

I've read maybe one other Sue Townsend book, and that was The Queen and I. So, I didn't know what to expect from this book, and I'm still not sure what catego
Roberta
I would probably give this book a 2.5 if that option existed, if only for the first few chapters. I've always liked Sue Townsend and found The Queen and I very funny.

This book begins with real promise. I liked the way the characters unfolded and could sympathize with Eva's weariness with the whole repetitive and thankless domestic cycle. Behind the laughter, I could feel the sadness, particularly in Brian as horrible as he was.

But then it began to feel as if half ripe plums were bering lobbed my
Lisa
I was surprised by so many negative reviews of this book. Lightweight fiction it is but it doesn't pretend to be anything else. I was drawn to it by the name of the heroine, Eva; the fact she was a librarian and that there were twins. In fact I couldn't put the book down. I can see a Tv series being made of it - very visual! I think it's gripping because everyone has been in the situation Eva finds herself in: fed up with everyone taking her from granted. Alexander would be played by Idris Elba. ...more
Dorothyanne Brown
I've been a Sue Townsend fan ever since Adrian Mole painted his room black (except for the show-through Noddy hats) in The Diary of Adrian Mole, aged 13 3/4. She manages to weave humour and pathos through her books, making them eminently readable and slipping truths into them under the cover of odd characters and interesting situations.
In this book, Eva's twin children, autistic brilliants who never relate to anyone else, have left for university, and Eva decides to retire to her bed. Forever.
Th
Raz
This was ostensibly a comedy novel about a woman whose life was not going the way she wanted it to.

I won't write a detailed review, just a few pros and cons.

Pros:
- Some bits were funny. (Only some.)
- Idea of someone giving up on life & hiding under duvet is both easy to relate to and yet absurd, thought it was a good premise for a comedy novel.
- Parts about the twins were good.

Cons:
- Main character wasn't likeable. Can imagine the same plot written to make the main character seem despairing
Tania Lukinyuk
I was going to give it 3 stars. I ended with two because of very poor ending. It is an easy read, yet the one which leaves you with major question of why you wasted all that time reading about a fifty-year old eccentric woman along with all other eccentric English people of various ages in the novel which clearly demonstrates how very strange and different Englishmen are. The novel is based on strong social irony but to my taste it was at times too straightforward and primitive to be enjoyable.
Louise Culmer
I hoped this book would be funny, but sadly, it isn't. A woman called Eva decides, for no good reason that I can see, or any reason at all, to stay in bed for a year. Somewhat improbably, she manages to get several people, including her husband, mother, and mother-in-law, all running around bringing her food and drink. Even more improbaby, a handsome handyman called Alexander takes an inexplicable fancy to her, and starts running aroun waiting on her too. And people start coming to her for advic ...more
Jules
This book was a little strange and whilst I wanted to like it a lot, mainly on the merit of the author, I’m afraid it was quite tedious to read at times.

The book definitely seems like a book of two halves to me. Fortunately the fact that Townsend is a gifted and able satirist saved the first half of the book somewhat and, as an ever-curious reader, I quite enjoyed seeing where it would all pan out around the theme of escape. The second half, however, where Eva Beaver, a ‘beautiful’ (we are told)
Simon Taylor
Sue Townsend tries to be clever with The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year and is making an obvious effort to straddle comedy, drama, tragedy and social commentary. Unfortunately, the effort is more obvious than the result and the tone is uncomfortable throughout.

The plot is simple, and potentially interesting. A middle-aged woman effectively has a breakdown, decides to go to bed and stay there for a year. Her family and an expanding cast of bizarre eccentrics become entirely responsible for her
Rhianna
Megan Cullen
I am sorry to have to give this book only 2 stars. Really, I am.

First, it wasn't that funny. I had hoped for laugh-out-loud comedy, like we got from The Queen and I, and Adrian Mole. Alas ...

But I suppose what I found most disappointing is that I felt Townsend only began to write something I really wanted to read when I got to the final chapter. Only then did Eva seem to be come human, likeable, and someone to sympathize with.

Other things that I found disappointing-- I didn't like most of the
Patricia Fawcett
One can understand the lifelong frustration of Eva Beaver, the cliched-taken-for-granted-wife-mum-daughter-daughter-in-law who finally decides that she has had enough and takes to her bed. A long-time appreciative reader of Sue Townsend's work, I took advantage of a recent bout of flu to curl up and read this book. Initially, Eva attracts the sympathy of the reader. However, as her retreat from everyday life becomes known, she acquires cult status,ultimately becoming as selfish and demanding as ...more
Jade Heslin
The Woman Who Went To Bed For a Year is the story of a woman who goes to bed… For a year. And boy, do I envy her! Not only does she manage to wallow in her pit for 365 days, but she even manages to lose weight in the process. I’ll wager that if I ever attempted such a thing, I’d be a jubbering mound of lard by the end of it. Her secret: she never asks for food – she just waits it out to see who will bring it to her.

This makes me think that Eva is not suffering from agoraphobia, or a mental brea
Eve Williams
Prior to reading this book, my only experiences of Sue Townsend were Adrian Mole, whom at my mother's suggestion I read when I was younger. As remarkable here as in her other writing is Townsend's ability to cloak what is, upon reflection, often quite a set of starkly grim human truths in humour.
On the day that her 17 year old twins move to university in Leeds, 50-year old Eva Beaver discovers a soup stain on the arm of the chair she painstakingly upholstered herself. This is the final straw, a
Nick Tjaardstra
A few years back, my father-in-law gave me the book 'A man without qualities'. This year he gave me 'The woman who went to bed for a year'. What does it all mean?

At any rate, seeing as he allegedly chose it "for his book club", it deserves a review.

I can barely remember Adrian Mole, so I started with a blank slate - blindly trusting the dream reviews from the Guardian and the Independent while of course dubious about the Daily Mail's 'I laughed until I cried' (reserved for 'Puckoon' and any per
Rachel
I looked out for this book because a woman in my art group said she was reading it and it was quirky.

Note to self : don't listen to this woman again.

Ok, maybe I'm a little hard to please right now, but I'm looking for fiction that is truly quirky in the sense that it makes you smile and feel a little hopeful or feel that you have satisfactorily escaped for a while without having to really think too much.

This book is not 'quirky'. It may be a little different and ok, there were parts along the wa
Nikki Mcgee
There are some books which do not have a particularly strong plot but are so beautifully written that it doesn't matter.

This is not one of those books.

There are some books which do not showcase brilliant writing or depth of character and thought but the plot is so gripping it does not matter.

This is not one of those books.

There are some books which are not particularly well written and also lack a plot but they are so funny that you don't care.

I have a feeling t
Andrew
The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year is an interesting title. When you read it, you make immediate assumptions about the story and the characters, and almost cannot wait for your ideas to be subverted. Sadly, this never happens. Instead, you are left with a book containing characters that are, at best, familiar caricatures and at worst, totally unbelievable.
Eva Beaver (yes, really) had an average marriage and two kids, twins (male and female). The day after they go to university, she goes to be
Venuskitten
One day Eva Beaver finds a dirty soup spoon that someone has left on the arm of the chair that she upholstered by hand. She tips the rest of the leftover soup over the chair, goes to bed and stays there for a year. She is not ill, but has had enough of being taken for granted and waiting on other people; this is her way of reversing the responsibility, leaving her philandering husband Brian and strangely robotic twins Brian Junior and Brianne to cope with their problems themselves.

As the months
Claire Saim
Eva Beaver (son nom marital signifie Castor), née Eva Brown-Bird (Oiseau brun, autrement plus classe) décide un beau jour que non, ça ne va plus, ras le bol, la coupe est pleine, la goutte d’eau (en l’occurrence un peu de soupe sur un fauteuil) a fait déborder le vase...

Agée de cinquante ans, d’une beauté renversante, épouse (non-comblée) d’un éminent scientifique et mère (non-épanouie) de deux jumeaux de dix-sept ans surdoués en maths, Eva trouve que rien ne va dans sa vie, qu’elle est fatiguée
Jia
Anne
There is no doubt that Sue Townsend is one of Britain's finest comic authors, her Adrian Mole series has become a classic and it's incredible to realise that Adrian has been with us for thirty years now.
The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year is Sue Townsend's latest novel and as always, it is written in her trademark style - full of humour and absurd situations, exaggerated situations and a cast of the most diverse and sometimes grotesque characters imaginable.

Eva Beaver is a librarian from Leices
Minnie
This was the first Sue Townsend that I've ever read. I of course knew of Adrian Mole, but he passed me by. Perhaps other readers expected Adrian but since I had no such expectations, I revelled in this book. It is a funny quirky sad novel about what happens to a family when the glue that keeps them together, loses its "stickiness". Eva gets into bed for no clear reason. The results have far-reaching effects. The book also delivers deft comment on social media and obsessions with celebrityhood, h ...more
Julie
Eva says good bye to her seventeen year old twins, who are off to Leeds University. So she climbs the stairs and decides that she will spend the next year in bed.

Her husband decides to introduce his secret girlfriend, who has been visiting him in his shed for years. We also get to meet Evas mother and mother in-law who along with the local handyman, take care of her providing food and doing odd jobs for her.

I didn't know what to really think about this book. I know that the author was trying to
Dem
The woman who went to bed for a year by Sue Townsend.

This novel was a terrible read, it had no plot, the characters were dreadful and the whole story just seemed ridiculous and had absolutely no point to it. I really cant understand how this book got published. Would have expected way better from Sue Townsend.

If you looking for something light and witty to read but has a great story line then read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
Bed-in OUT? 1 20 Jan 12, 2014 03:17AM
  • The Man Who Forgot His Wife
  • Oh Dear Silvia
  • Vets in Love (Talyton St George, #6)
  • The Cloning of Joanna May
  • All The Single Ladies
  • The Girl On The Landing
  • Summer Daydreams
  • Diana's Story
  • Last Christmas
  • The Land of Decoration
  • The Calling (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #3)
  • Summer With My Sister
  • The Desperate Bride's Diet Club
  • The English Monster
  • The Knot
  • It's Different for Girls
  • One Moment, One Morning
  • Someone Special

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend was a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She has suffered from diabetes for many years,
More about Sue Townsend...
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1) The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole, #2) Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5) Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6) Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)

“She liked people. Me, I can take them or leave them, but mostly leave them.” 18 likes
“Will you lie to me and promise to read them? Books need to be read. The pages need to be turned.” 10 likes