Start by marking “The Year of Eating Dangerously (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Year of Eating Dangerously (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law, #2)

The Year of Eating Dangerously (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law #2)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The Dead Shall Rise. . .

As a lawyer, Mallory Caine considers it her duty to defend the innocent. As a flesheating zombie, she knows how to take a bite out of crime. So when a scared ten-year-old boy asks for her help--claiming that his mother wants to eat him--Mallory rises to the occasion. Unfortunately, the occasion is a Satanic ritual, the mom is a monster, and the boy
Published February 7th 2012 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Year of Eating Dangerously, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year of Eating Dangerously

Stephanie  G
3.5 Stars

Mallory Caine is a zombie, not the Romero kind in horror movies, the kind that is brought back from the dead, and told what to do. She doesn’t know who brought her back. She did hear voices telling her what to do, but she ignored them. She keeps at her job as a lawyer in L.A. and eats brains on the side. She is currently her father’s lawyer, who is in court for a murder charge, and decides to help a little boy who claims his mother is trying to kill him.

At the start of the story she set
Matt Schiariti
Nov 15, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Big on brains, not on fat.

The Year of Eating Dangerously is every bit as good as Pay Me In Flesh. The crazy paranormal world and the characters that inhabit it as created by K Bennett are just fun from the word go and you'll be turning one page after the next to see just what kind of crazy dilemmas everyone's favorite Zombie Attorney gets into.

This book is PACKED with goings on. At the heart of the plot is a little boy who shows up on Mallory's office doorstep one day claiming his mother wants t
Joseph R.
Feb 24, 2014 Joseph R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombie, read_2014
The Year of Eating Dangerously is the follow-up book to Pay Me in Flesh, a novel about Los Angeles defense attorney-turned-zombie Mallory Caine. The first book was entertaining, striking a good balance between comedy, mystery, noir, and horror. This book retains all the same elements and does a good job though it is a little darker.

Mallory Caine is now defending her father, a zombie-slaying zealot who charged with killing an ex-cop by chopping his head off with a sword. Mallory knows the act was
Mike Jones
May 22, 2015 Mike Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great job

I loved this book, I especially like all the snide remarks the main character uses. The build up of the plot and twisting of the characters keeps me going to read more and finish the book.
Thanks for another great read.
MJ
Doris
Jan 18, 2016 Doris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ac zombie brain-eating lawyer? It almost sounds like a job description, but in this case, it describes our main character, Mallory Caine, in this second book in a zomibe series.

Mallory has a sort-of boyfriend, who left her for someone else but now wants her back, but she also just drools over a police detective (take that either way you like!).

She is defending her father, who happens to be a murderer, and also trying to wrest guardianship of a little guy away from the woman who claims to be hi
April Robbins
Jul 27, 2012 April Robbins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cool take on zombies and has some other interesting supernatural creatures also. A fun read.
Stéphanie
I might not have liked this book as much as the first book of the series (despite giving it the same rating) but we do learn more about Mallory in this sequel. The story from the first book continues and we learn more and more about Mallory Caine and the characters in her world.

In THE YEAR OF EATING DANGEROUSLY, we learn who killed Mallory and who raised her from the dead. The author could have told us in the first book but I'm glad he didn't because we're slowly learning more and more about Mal
Beth Dawkins
Mar 01, 2012 Beth Dawkins rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
3.5

At the start of the story she sets her
Heather Lei
Aug 24, 2013 Heather Lei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say, I liked this one. Most books where the main character is a "monster" the author chooses a "sexy" one like vampire or witch. Sometimes a werewolf, but that is usually only if the character is a man. I guess a hairy chick just isn't considered attractive for some reason. You might have one of the ickier monsters as a supporting character, but they just don't have what it takes to carry a book. Especially not if you hope to turn your book into a franchise.

This one caught my attenti
Kai
Jul 18, 2012 Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
The Year of Eating Dangerously has Mallory Caine, attorney at law and a zombie, trying to find her murderer and the person who turned her into a zombie to turn her back to a normal human being. She also reconnected with her father, who is a zombie hunter after he nearly killed her in the previously book, Pay Me In Flesh. Mallory is caught in a battle between good and evil, a battle she rather not be involved with. But this time, Mallory has to choose or doom mankind.

Her love life is pretty much
Norman Tiller
Apr 13, 2014 Norman Tiller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced and entertaining read

this book is one I don't regret buying. Mallory Caine is a strong character and the action is fast paced. I'm not a fan of biblical references and some parts could be better written but all in all, I give it 5 stars.

to whomever edited it though, I'd give 1 star. lots of missed words and incorrect sentence structure.
Jinksb
Jul 08, 2012 Jinksb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the humor in this second entry in the series better than the first. The series arc - the ultimate battle between good and evil taking place in Los Angeles - isn't all that interesting to me. I prefer the "everyday life as the walking dead" aspect better. What I find rather confusing is the cover blurb from a romance reviewing website. There's a bit of romantic mooning about on Mallory's part, and it's obvious her relationship with the police detective will be getting more serious, but ...more
Al Menaster
Good sequel to Pay Me in Flesh. Jim Bell, writing as K. Bennett, has written a zombie lawyer thriller series. The first book was better. This one was well paced, lots of LA local color, a couple of courtroom scenes, and lots of zombies and ghosts and demons and vampires. If you hate the zombie genre, forget it. But if you like it or are at least willing to let this part of the story, try the first book. If you liked that, you'll like this. There is a #3 on the way.
Alisha Kennedy
Aug 15, 2015 Alisha Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely entertaining! First book in a long time that had me laughing hard. I am still laughing at chapter twenty six! The main character was hilarious, can not wait to read another.
Cari
May 30, 2013 Cari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story line seemed very "crowded". It was like the author threw in every possible supernatural and religious persona she has ever heard of - zombies, vampires, ghosts, demons, saints, shapeshifters, satan...It seemed like very amateurish writing. I read two in the series & won't be reading any of the rest.
Sue
Jun 17, 2013 Sue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nope, not as good as the first one. And I hate when too much time is spent re-hashing information from the first book, like too much filler. It became upsetting after a while. Why have a first book -- of a sequence -- if you're going to fill it up with previous information . . . weak.
Karen Desmond
A ghoul lawyer with a heart - definitely different. And more engaging than the first book in the series.
Dorothy Hensel
Won this book...no my genre but I read it out of curiosity. Very creepy, which is good (I think lol)
Shane
Apr 01, 2012 Shane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, zombies
I won this book as a "First Reads giveaway". It was alright.
Katy Surber
Katy Surber rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Areli Lefevre
Areli Lefevre marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Gayle Adams
Gayle Adams rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Gefferson Oliveira
Gefferson Oliveira rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Tallulah A. Scribbles
Tallulah A. Scribbles marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Pretty When She Destroys (Pretty When She Dies, #3)
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • Signs of Life: Jessie's Game, Book One
  • The Usual Apocalypse (The Society #2)
  • Silence of Souls
  • Air
  • Zombie Invasion (Zora Baker, #2)
  • Mad World: Sanctuary
  • Undead Tales
  • Mutated  (Dead World, #4)
  • Voodoo Children - A Bubba the Monster Hunter Short Story
  • Together Bound (Sentries, #2)
  • Contagious Chaos (The Contagium #3)
  • Flash Point (In a Heartbeat #2)
  • Dr. Frank Einstein
  • I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A Breathers Christmas Carol
  • Finding Marie (Frasier Island Series #2)
  • Cowgirl at Heart (The McCord Sisters, #2)

Pseudonym of James Scott Bell.
More about K. Bennett...

Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law (3 books)
  • Pay Me in Flesh (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law, #1)
  • I Ate the Sheriff (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law #3)