Start by marking “The Year of Eating Dangerously (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Year of Eating Dangerously (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law, #2)

The Year of Eating Dangerously (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law #2)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The Dead Shall Rise. . .

As a lawyer, Mallory Caine considers it her duty to defend the innocent. As a flesheating zombie, she knows how to take a bite out of crime. So when a scared ten-year-old boy asks for her help--claiming that his mother wants to eat him--Mallory rises to the occasion. Unfortunately, the occasion is a Satanic ritual, the mom is a monster, and the boy
Published February 7th 2012 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Year of Eating Dangerously, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year of Eating Dangerously

Paranormal Haven
3.5 Stars

Mallory Caine is a zombie, not the Romero kind in horror movies, the kind that is brought back from the dead, and told what to do. She doesn’t know who brought her back. She did hear voices telling her what to do, but she ignored them. She keeps at her job as a lawyer in L.A. and eats brains on the side. She is currently her father’s lawyer, who is in court for a murder charge, and decides to help a little boy who claims his mother is trying to kill him.

At the start of the story she set
Joseph R.
The Year of Eating Dangerously is the follow-up book to Pay Me in Flesh, a novel about Los Angeles defense attorney-turned-zombie Mallory Caine. The first book was entertaining, striking a good balance between comedy, mystery, noir, and horror. This book retains all the same elements and does a good job though it is a little darker.

Mallory Caine is now defending her father, a zombie-slaying zealot who charged with killing an ex-cop by chopping his head off with a sword. Mallory knows the act was
Stéphanie
I might not have liked this book as much as the first book of the series (despite giving it the same rating) but we do learn more about Mallory in this sequel. The story from the first book continues and we learn more and more about Mallory Caine and the characters in her world.

In THE YEAR OF EATING DANGEROUSLY, we learn who killed Mallory and who raised her from the dead. The author could have told us in the first book but I'm glad he didn't because we're slowly learning more and more about Mal
Beth Dawkins
3.5

At the start of the story she sets her
Heather Lei
What can I say, I liked this one. Most books where the main character is a "monster" the author chooses a "sexy" one like vampire or witch. Sometimes a werewolf, but that is usually only if the character is a man. I guess a hairy chick just isn't considered attractive for some reason. You might have one of the ickier monsters as a supporting character, but they just don't have what it takes to carry a book. Especially not if you hope to turn your book into a franchise.

This one caught my attenti
Matt Schiariti
Big on brains, not on fat.

The Year of Eating Dangerously is every bit as good as Pay Me In Flesh. The crazy paranormal world and the characters that inhabit it as created by K Bennett are just fun from the word go and you'll be turning one page after the next to see just what kind of crazy dilemmas everyone's favorite Zombie Attorney gets into.

This book is PACKED with goings on. At the heart of the plot is a little boy who shows up on Mallory's office doorstep one day claiming his mother wants t
Kai
The Year of Eating Dangerously has Mallory Caine, attorney at law and a zombie, trying to find her murderer and the person who turned her into a zombie to turn her back to a normal human being. She also reconnected with her father, who is a zombie hunter after he nearly killed her in the previously book, Pay Me In Flesh. Mallory is caught in a battle between good and evil, a battle she rather not be involved with. But this time, Mallory has to choose or doom mankind.

Her love life is pretty much
Norman Tiller
Fast paced and entertaining read

this book is one I don't regret buying. Mallory Caine is a strong character and the action is fast paced. I'm not a fan of biblical references and some parts could be better written but all in all, I give it 5 stars.

to whomever edited it though, I'd give 1 star. lots of missed words and incorrect sentence structure.
Jinksb
I enjoyed the humor in this second entry in the series better than the first. The series arc - the ultimate battle between good and evil taking place in Los Angeles - isn't all that interesting to me. I prefer the "everyday life as the walking dead" aspect better. What I find rather confusing is the cover blurb from a romance reviewing website. There's a bit of romantic mooning about on Mallory's part, and it's obvious her relationship with the police detective will be getting more serious, but ...more
Al Menaster
Good sequel to Pay Me in Flesh. Jim Bell, writing as K. Bennett, has written a zombie lawyer thriller series. The first book was better. This one was well paced, lots of LA local color, a couple of courtroom scenes, and lots of zombies and ghosts and demons and vampires. If you hate the zombie genre, forget it. But if you like it or are at least willing to let this part of the story, try the first book. If you liked that, you'll like this. There is a #3 on the way.
Cari
The story line seemed very "crowded". It was like the author threw in every possible supernatural and religious persona she has ever heard of - zombies, vampires, ghosts, demons, saints, shapeshifters, satan...It seemed like very amateurish writing. I read two in the series & won't be reading any of the rest.
Sue
Nope, not as good as the first one. And I hate when too much time is spent re-hashing information from the first book, like too much filler. It became upsetting after a while. Why have a first book -- of a sequence -- if you're going to fill it up with previous information . . . weak.
Karen Desmond
A ghoul lawyer with a heart - definitely different. And more engaging than the first book in the series.
Dorothy Hensel
Won this book...no my genre but I read it out of curiosity. Very creepy, which is good (I think lol)
April Robbins
Cool take on zombies and has some other interesting supernatural creatures also. A fun read.
Shane
I won this book as a "First Reads giveaway". It was alright.
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Jack Ostoja
Jack Ostoja is currently reading it
Nov 10, 2014
Konica
Konica marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
KayseE
KayseE marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • Pretty When She Destroys (Pretty When She Dies, #3)
  • The Beautiful Dead (The Beautiful Dead, #1)
  • Signs of Life: Jessie's Game, Book One
  • Contagious Chaos (The Contagium, #3)
  • Silence of Souls
  • Air
  • The Usual Apocalypse (The Society #2)
  • Mutated  (Dead World, #4)
  • Zombie Invasion (Zora Baker, #2)
  • Mad World: Sanctuary
  • Together Bound (Sentries, #2)
  • Undead Tales
  • Black
  • I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A Breathers Christmas Carol
  • Jack (Leech, #2)
  • Finding Marie (Frasier Island Series #2)
  • Cowgirl at Heart (The McCord Sisters, #2)
Pay Me in Flesh (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law, #1) I Ate the Sheriff (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law #3) Amazing Ocean Creatures For Kids: Nature Books for Kids Beautiful Flowers for Kids Peacocks for Kids