Start by marking “Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations” as Want to Read:
Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations

Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations

Darkness exists everywhere, and in no place greater than those where spirits and curses still reside. Tread not lightly on ancient lands that have been discovered by this collection of intrepid authors.

In DARK TALES OF LOST CIVILIZATIONS, you will unearth an anthology of twenty-five previously unpublished horror and speculative fiction stories, relating to aspects of civi
Paperback, 1, 270 pages
Published March 1st 2012 by Dark Moon Books

To ask other readers questions about Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations

Mark Pearson
Mar 03, 2012 Mark Pearson rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: favorites
One of the best collections of dark fiction I have read in recent years. Eric J. Guigard did a fine job pulling together such an eclectic mix of stories. Each author has a completely different take on the theme, yet as an anthology it holds together extremely well. Personal favourites; Quetzalcoatl's Conquistador by Jamie Lackey and British Guiana, 1853 by Folly Blaine. I will read this book again soon.
Samantha Moore
Jun 30, 2012 Samantha Moore rated it it was amazing
"Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations", edited by Eric J. Guignard, is an anthology of the horrific and the mysterious, of long forgotten realms and dark, unimaginable secrets of humanity’s past. This showcase houses some of the best short fiction that breaches boundaries of typical horror and historical genres. Each piece explores different aspects of the human psyche, from insatiable curiosity to the greed of man, to the ever growing search for knowledge that spurs on explorations in culture and h ...more
A.E.
Nov 08, 2012 A.E. rated it it was amazing
Overall, this is a very strong anthology with several impactful pieces that will appeal to a wide spectrum of genre fiction readers. Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations has a little bit of something for everyone, and left me very impressed and enriched after having read it. Check out my blog for the full review.
Resa
Jun 19, 2012 Resa rated it really liked it
I was first approached to review this anthology for my e-zine Zombie Coffee, initially I was a little wary about it. History has never been my favorite subject, which led to historical fiction being one of my least favorite genres. Still, I decided to give this anthology a try because something about it intrigued me, and I’m very glad I continued reading because there are some gems in this book I’m glad I had the chance to discover.

Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations is a horror/speculative fictio
Judi
Mar 23, 2012 Judi rated it it was amazing
An amazing book to read! This book was recommended to me through a book review club and I agree with their recommendation: It is a wonderful collection of exotic stories. This is an anthology (which means a collection of stories) that explores fictional answers and lore to some of the greatest mysteries and civilizations in history. It has a bent to horror and to archaeology, so if you enjoy dark fiction AND tales of science or discovery, this is for you! Not all of the stories are horror - some ...more
Anita Patel
Apr 08, 2012 Anita Patel rated it it was amazing
I have lately been overwhelmed with the amount of good books I want to read and when I do have the infrequent free time to just sit and read for pleasure, I want to make sure my time is well spent with something I enjoy. This book fits just that: a perfect read to escape the real world and travel to lands long-lost. I felt excitement as I read these stories as if they were written specifically for me. Each author has different opinions on ancient mysteries and folklore and scientific discovery b ...more
Kenneth Cain
Oct 03, 2012 Kenneth Cain rated it really liked it
I picked up a copy of this book via the Horror Writer's Association Bram Stoker Award® 2012 recommendation list. This is a strong collection of stories Mr. Guignard has collected here and I enjoyed his comments for each (Side note: quite impressed by Jonathan Vos Post's notes and resume). I very much enjoyed "Quivira," "Quetzalcoatl's Conquistador," "Bare Bones" and Mr. Lansdale's tale among others. While everyone's taste is different, I liked the overall feel of these stories best, but all of t ...more
Jonathan Stewart
May 31, 2013 Jonathan Stewart rated it it was amazing
Excellent anthology of stories set in different lands and times, such as lost islands, futuristic deserts, ancient jungles, or laboratories of science. Although it’s classified as horror, none of the stories are gory or rely on “cheap scares.” The stories are more of adventure and exploration with dark “suggested” terror interwoven throughout. Highly recommended, especially if you are a fan of H. Rider Haggard, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Talbot Mundy, Conan Doyle, Anne Rice, or H.P. Lovecraft.
Vivian Metzger
Mar 21, 2012 Vivian Metzger rated it it was amazing
I like this book a lot! Read the entire book in one day - just couldn't put it down. It was very unique, and poignant stories relating to lots of old civilizations and mysteries. Some of the tales were horror, some very touching, and some funny. The editor brought together a very eclectic mix of writers from around the world to discuss fictional takes on ancient civilizations and peoples. Great idea for a collection of stories and well executed.
Christopher  Nelson
Apr 06, 2012 Christopher Nelson rated it it was amazing
The quality of stories that Eric Guignard has gathered makes this collection a real treat. This is is definitely not the run-of-the-mill anthology. Fine literature combined with evocative story-telling leave each piece well rendered and in a voice unique to each author. Well done, Mr. Guignard.
Tara Baloun-keenum
Mar 26, 2012 Tara Baloun-keenum rated it it was amazing

Great book!! Mind blowing twists and turns. Stories are all so different but yet hold the readers attention for hours!!!
Leta Blake
May 06, 2012 Leta Blake rated it really liked it
I enjoyed all the tales. A special favorite was "Sins of Our Fathers" by Wendra Chambers. Fantastic!
Michael Flores
Mar 23, 2012 Michael Flores rated it it was amazing
Masterful anthology. There's really something for everyone in this eclectic collection. I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I bought it for some good ol' chills and thrills which were abundant. DARK TALES OF LOST CIVILIZATIONS represents solid fiction.
Some of my favorites were:
We Are Not the Favored Children by Matthew Borgard
Quetzalcoatl's Conquistador by Jamie Lackey
The Small, Black God by Caw Miller
Bare Bones by Curtis James McConnell
Directions by Michael G. Cornelius
Angel of Destruction
Jimmy Tam
Aug 15, 2012 Jimmy Tam rated it it was amazing
One of the best anthologies I've read in awhile. Not every story was boss, but ut was one awesome collection of new and retold legends and archaeology and ghosts of lost worlds and... civilizations. Just like the title of the book says: Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations. ;)
Jeff Carter
Jan 24, 2013 Jeff Carter rated it liked it
History and Horror...is there a greater combination? Is there a difference between the two? Either way, I can't get enough of it.

Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations has enough chills and kills for the most intrepid explorer. My personal favorites were QUIVIRA by Jackson Kuhl, QUETZALCOATL'S CONQUISTADOR by Jamie Lackey, THE SMALL,BLACK GOD by Caw Miller, and WE ARE NOT THE FAVORED CHILDREN by Matthew Borgard. I could go on, but these were at the top of the pyramid for me.

Pat
Mar 21, 2014 Pat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Just what the title says-a collection of tales of the dark side of exploration, whether scientific or geographical. I wasn't familiar with any of the authors, so appreciated that each story began with an intro from the editor and ended with author's biographical information. All the stories were very well-written and nicely scary, with some surprising twists. Eric Guignard did well as an editor to assemble these treasures.
I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to review it.
J.J. Toner
Jul 10, 2012 J.J. Toner rated it really liked it
Excellent content, on the whole, but I spotted a few annoying typos here and there. I thought the later stories were stronger than the earlier ones.
Roh Morgon
Roh Morgon rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2012
Steven Pemberton
Steven Pemberton rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Fadzlishah Johanabas
Mar 23, 2012 Fadzlishah Johanabas rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rob Rosen
May 30, 2013 Rob Rosen rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Matthew Borgard
Mar 24, 2012 Matthew Borgard rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Cherstin Holtzman
Sep 19, 2012 Cherstin Holtzman rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Make
Make rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2012
Eric Miller
Eric Miller rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2012
Ahimsa
Ahimsa rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Karlee
Karlee rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2012
D. Rae
D. Rae rated it really liked it
May 04, 2013
Eric Guignard
Mar 02, 2012 Eric Guignard rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Supernatural Noir
  • Baby Teeth: Bite-sized Tales of Terror
  • The Book of the Dead
  • Demons: Encounters with the Devil and His Minions, Fallen Angels, and the Possessed
  • Dark Faith
  • Bullettime
  • Hell Comes to Hollywood, Volume I
  • Anthology I: The Other Side
  • Jane
  • G.S.O.H Essential (Happy Ever After, #2)
  • The Fall of Never
Eric J. Guignard writes dark and speculative fiction from the outskirts of Los Angeles. By role of editor, he’s also published the anthologies, Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations and After Death... , the latter of which won the 2013 Bram Stoker Award. Read his novella, Baggage of Eternal Night (a finalist for the 2014 International Thriller Award), and watch for many more forthcoming books, inc ...more
More about Eric J. Guignard...