Start by marking “They Made a Monkee Out of Me” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
They Made a Monkee Out...

Davy Jones

They Made a Monkee Out of Me

Davy Jones tells the only authorized story of the Monkees - the 60s phenomenon that became an 80s phenomenon! Davy was a young actor when he was cast in a new television series called The Monkees, which aired for the first time on September 12th, 1966. Within two months, the show had moved into the Top 20 and the Monkees' first single and album had both soared to #1 on the

Paperback, First Edition, 239 pages
Published January 1987 by Dome Press

To ask other readers questions about They Made a Monkee Out of Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Made a Monkee Out of Me

Katy Brandes
Jul 25, 2011 Katy Brandes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mine is a signed copy from the man who made women/girls of all ages swoon. Everybody is just a dork on the inside.
Lynn Vannucci
Absolutely required reading for a girl who would have climbed mountains and braved blizzards to be in front of the television at 7:30 on Monday evenings...
amy
Aug 22, 2007 amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
He seems bitter.
Steve
Feb 21, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable but lightweight autobiography from Jones, his memories of his childhood in Manchester were covered well, his Mother's passing while he was a schoolboy, his passion for riding horses and his rise through small television parts and the theatre ranks which eventually led to his inclusion in The Monkees.

The Monkees then. The reason I bought the book. This is where the book suffers, he spins a few yarns about the band but hardly mentions anything of real worth, there's hardly any mention o
Candace
Mar 15, 2016 Candace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book itself is sort of poorly written. Spelling and grammar mistakes throughout make it difficult to take it seriously. The book is interesting to read. I wasn't aware of anything really about Davy, so it was good to read. I will say that I wish it would have had more depth. It felt somewhat disjointed, so he never really provides incredible insight. It's a cute, charming little read, I just wish it had given us more. Still love the monkees, still love Davy. I'd recommend this as a starting ...more
Sam
Apr 18, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another version of the Monkees story. It's interesting though, and Davy was a good writer. I don't usually get into entertainment industry autobiographies but this is much more about young adolescent nostalgia for me than anything. The Monkees WERE my junior high years. And as anyone who's been through junior high (all of us) knows, there are very few enjoyable things about that period of one's life. The Monkees were one for me. So I'm indulging my nostalgia.
Erin
Dec 29, 2013 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished right in time for his upcoming birthday (tomorrow). This bio is Davy as he was -- cocksure, silly, cheesy, and adorable.
Audrey Quincey
Jun 23, 2014 Audrey Quincey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do I get a copy of this book been after it for ages, live in Sydney Australia, thanks Audrey
Gina
Mar 22, 2016 Gina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying I am a huge Davy Jones fan, but this book was a struggle for me. It was weirdly written and I found myself skimming parts of the book just to get through it.
Lynn Vannucci
Ophelia London
Feb 13, 2015 Ophelia London rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Not quite the "tell all" I was after, but it was read by the author (dreamy!), and after finishing, I spent the next hour blasting Monkee's music. A strong 4-star delight.
Cathy
Feb 26, 2015 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
It was okay. I was a little disappointed in the content. Sometimes I couldn't tell who was writing at a particular point.
Liz
Feb 20, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this at the height of the Monkees reunion back in the 1980s. I wish I had purchased a copy then as the cost is now outrageous, even before Davy's death.
Terri
Terri rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2017
Coy Clark
Coy Clark rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2017
Raymond
Raymond rated it it was ok
May 04, 2017
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2012
Kanda
Kanda rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2015
Katie Price
Katie Price rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
bookworm
bookworm rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Veronica Frances
Veronica Frances rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Susan Skinner
Susan Skinner rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Sheamus
Sheamus rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2015
Rick Phillips
Rick Phillips rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Grace Galligos
Grace Galligos rated it really liked it
May 13, 2017
christine
christine rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2017
Chris Leib
Chris Leib rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2009
James
James rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
  • Bob's Burgers: Medium Rare
  • License to Pawn: Deals, Steals, and My Life at the Gold & Silver
  • Monopoly: The World's Most Famous Game--And How It Got That Way
  • Milking the Moon: A Southerner's Story of Life on This Planet
  • Elvis: My Best Man: Radio Days, Rock 'n' Roll Nights, and My Lifelong Friendship with Elvis Presley
  • Popeye, Vol. 2: Well Blow Me Down!
  • Confucius in 90 Minutes