Start by marking “A Game Of Lies (Hannah Vogel, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Game Of Lies (Hannah Vogel, #3)

A Game Of Lies (Hannah Vogel #3)

Journalist Hannah Vogel returns in A Game of Lies by award-winning author Rebecca Cantrell.

In preparation for the 1936 Berlin Olympics, the Nazis rid the streets of anti-Semitic material and other propaganda and present a peace-seeking face to the world. Journalist and part-time spy for the British, Hannah Vogel, shudders to think what lies under the temporary coat of glos
Published May 8th 2012 by Forge Books (first published June 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Game Of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Game Of Lies

Theresa
May 07, 2012 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Theresa by: Goodreads First Reads
I won A Game of Lies (Hannah Vogel, #3) by Rebecca Cantrell in a giveaway for free on Goodreads First/Reads, and I enjoyed it more than expected. This book had a few different elements mystery, romance, and suspense. I'm interested in catching up and continuing onto the other three books in this series. This was not a book I would normally pick up but I am glad I did. I would recommend this book as a good read it was fresh, fun, and a nice change.
Leighton Gage
Jan 01, 2012 Leighton Gage rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When first we meet Hannah Vogel (in Rebecca Cantrell’s debut novel, A Trace of Smoke) she’s a criminal reporter, working in Berlin, during the dark days when the Nazis were coming to power in Germany.
Three years later, in A Night of Long Knives, Hannah returns to witness the humbling of the SA and the murder of their leader, Ernst Röhm.
And now she’s back, in the third installment of Ms. Cantrell’s outstanding series.
The book: A Game of Lies. The time: 1936. The backdrop: The most famous Olympic
Lorinda
Dec 21, 2011 Lorinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading the 3rd book in the Hannah Vogel series. I hope there will be a 4th.
In this book, Hannah returns to Germany after leaving to live with her significant other and adopted son out of the country. She gets herself caught up in investigating a murder of a friend and of course, gets herself into trouble and danger.
I won't say much more, as I don't want to spoil anything in the book.

I really enjoy how Rebecca Cantrell writes and can't wait for another book to be written in th
Deborah Ledford
Rebecca Cantrell's latest Hannah Vogel release is every bit as hard-hitting, thrilling and full of surprises as the first two books in the series. The backdrop of the 1936 Berlin Olympics provides an angst-filled tale of intrigue, and at times terror, as Hannah does her best to yet again survive her quest in Berlin.

Dialogue between these fascinating characters propel the reader on a fast-paced journey of discovery and clues that seem impossible to be resolved, but this fine writer achieves the t
Brenda Funk
Dec 08, 2014 Brenda Funk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book to read while in Berlin! Full of references to places I recognize, Friedrichstrasse, Alexanderplatz, Unter den Linden etc. Set during the Olympic games just before WWII, good story, well written.
Angelina
Aug 08, 2012 Angelina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A pretty average criminal story set during the 1936 Olympic games in Nazi Germany. Good for a quick beach read I guess but nothing more.
Tracey
Aug 05, 2015 Tracey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first 2 but still a good series. It gives the reader a taste for what life was like in Germany in the 30s under the influence of the Nazi government.
Judith Starkston
Hannah Vogel is back in Berlin, this time to report on the 1936 Olympic Games and do some spying for the British under cover as neutral Swiss reporter Adelheid Zinsli. She’s been working for the British for a few years, sneaking documents out from her contact and supposed lover, SS Hauptsturmführer Lars Lang. But those trips only brought her to Germany for brief weekends and kept her far from her journalist colleagues. Now she has to cover the hottest news item of the day for two weeks and someh ...more
Hilary
Once I read "1936 Berlin" in the summary, I was pretty much sold (and, I admit, I really enjoyed the cover...). Nazi Germany has always been a source of fascination for me, so I figured I was safe to assume I would devour this book.

But the first half was kind of slow for me, to be honest. After realizing it was the third installment in the Vogel series, I wondered if my lack of knowledge about the first two would hinder my understanding of the third, but A Game of Lies references both of them nu
Nikki
Hannah Vogel, crime reporter turned anti-Nazi spy, has been living fairly peacefully in Switzerland for most of the time since we last encountered her in Night of the Long Knives. That is, when she wasn't couriering film out of Nazi Germany, where her contact is a Gestapo officer. In A Game of Lies, Hannah, in her Swiss identity as Adelheid Zinsli, is in Berlin to report on the fencing in the 1936 Olympics. She's also spending a fortnight with her Gestapo contact, Lars Lang, and their cover stor ...more
Cheryl A
Aug 10, 2011 Cheryl A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reporter Hannah Vogel fled Germany for Switzerland at the end of A Night of Long Knives, barely escaping with the lives of herself and her adopted son Anton. Now, as the Olympic Games are about to commence in Berlin, Hannah must travel back to Berlin under the alias of Adelheid Zinsli to cover the Games.

Leaving Anton in Switzerland with her former lover Boris, Hannah is posing as the fiance of SS Lars Lang, who Hannah has been working with to smuggle information to the British. At the opening of
Rachel
Dec 20, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
Marlyn
Jul 06, 2011 Marlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Hannah Vogel has been living in Switzerland with her adopted son Anton and her lover Boris, occasionally working as a reporter for a Swiss newspaper under the name of Adelheid Zinsli. She has also been acting as a courier, transporting documents out of Germany for quisling SS Officer Lars Lang.

This time, though, Adelheid has been asked to remain in Berlin for the entire two weeks of the Olympics, which could prove to be difficult as many of the local press would certainly recognize Hannah.

At the
Spuddie
Dec 31, 2011 Spuddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another A-plus effort in this third in the Hannah Vogel series set in mid-1930's Germany. Hannah has snuck back into Germany on a fake passport to cover the 1936 Olympic Games for the Swiss newspaper she works for, and while there, her longtime reporter friend Peter Weill is killed in front of Hannah's eyes, appearing to be the victim of some sort of fast-acting poison. Peter had just told her he had a package for her to pick up--and presumably smuggle out of Germany--when he dies, and she feels ...more
Darcy
Mar 31, 2012 Darcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, mystery, spies
A big part of the appeal of this series is the setting for the books, WWII Germany as the Nazi's rise to power. So much of the book show how people adapt to the changes, how they feel forced into going along, and also shows those that fight quietly in the background, Hannah is one of the later.

Even though I like what she is doing, so many times she is TSTL. Anton depends on her, but she feels the need to do the right thing and is tormented in which is the right thing. I missed seeing Anton and
Monica
Jan 12, 2012 Monica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I kept feeling, based on all the reviews, as though I should be liking this book better than I did, but it just was not to be. To begin with, about a third of the book is taken up with references to or explanations of, people and events from the other two books in the series. This kept getting in the way of the current plot, and it did NOT make me want to rush out and get her backlist.

Secondly, the characters,Hannah in particular, were pretty flat. I found her more annoying than appealing. Final
MBP
Nancy
Mar 09, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
Hannah has returned to Berlin with a false identity reporting for a Swiss newspaper on the Olympics while she continues to spy for the British. While she is there she has arranged to meet with her mentor & friend Peter Weill who is "working on something" and he needs to relay the information so that it gets out of Germany. Things do not go as planned and as always Hannah is in danger that makes you want to scream, "get out now". Love Cantrell's mingling of historical people events and places ...more
Lou
Mar 19, 2013 Lou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nazi Germany just around the Olympics. Hannah Vogel spying for the Brits. Turns out the are lots of folks spying for the Brits. But which ones to trust? Guess wrong and you're dead.

I thought there would be more insight into what the Nazis did to hide their true ambitions from the world. Unfortunately that didn't happen. Oh well...

Otherwise quite an interesting story. It's amazing how Hannah was able to maintain her cover while searching for the killer of her mentor and the information he wanted
Christine
Jul 07, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Hannah Vogel series lives up to expectations. It is well paced and exciting to read. Hannah returns to Germany to cover the Olympics, incognito as a Swiss national. She witnesses the murder of her friend and mentor and investigates what led to his murder.

Hannah is such a strong character. She stands up for injustice and out smarts those around her. I also love her developing relationship with Lars, the Nazi with a conscience.

I really recommend this series. It really brings
Carmen
Sep 05, 2011 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linda
Third in the series, Hannah Vogel is back in Berlin. At the end of the last book, she had to flee to save her life. She returns incognito to "write for a Swiss newspaper about the Berliner Olympic Games, but really to gather information about the Nazi move to war. While there she risks her life, discovers some secrets, has to figure out whom to trust and whom not to,and succeeds.

The author is able to convey the atmosphere very well. It reminds me a bit of the people who were dancing while the T
Laurie
Mar 07, 2014 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I loved the developing romance between Hannah and Lars, and especially the hysterical scene when Hannah is under the influence, there were just too many things to strain credulity in this story. As in The Night of Long Knives, Hannah can almost jump tall buildings despite severe physical injuries. Broken ribs? Who cares? Hit by a car and covered in blood? Just work through the pain. And if blood gets all over your only dress, it's not a problem if you are constantly carrying your only suit ...more
Andrew
The Hannah Vogel novels are predictable but fun: something bad will happen early on, and she will go to great lengths to solve the mystery and/or make things right. Usually there are some false leads and at least one near-fatal injury, but in the end it all works out. This time the setting is 1936 Berlin during the summer Olympics, which turn out to be difficult to cover using her false identity of Adelheid Zinsli.

I have the next book sitting here, waiting to be read, and I'll probably get to i
Ann
Jul 04, 2011 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As good as her previous two Hannah Vogel novels. It is suspenseful-- a "page-turner". Her portrait of Berlin and Germans during the 1930's Olympics is intriguing and informative. Her characters are colorful, the bad guys have many layers and the good ones have dark sides. She has done a great job of mixing real people and events with the fictional lives and experiences of her characters. I am looking forward to the next in this series.
Ashley P
This book is probably my favourite in the series so far, with more mystery for me than the other two combined and a great deal more drama.

I devoured it completely and loved it. I love the way history is melded with fiction and I drank it down like it was the richest of drinks.

The drama is heart wrenching and the stakes are definitely higher. Hannah is one of my favourite female characters in fiction, because she makes mistakes and is not infallible but she is soon ready to admit it.
james
Sep 18, 2013 james rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book quite a lot as I had expected. All right, all right, I am a sucker for books on Germany before and during the Nazi horrors. The author did a fine job digging up detail about life in Berlin during the 1936 Summer Olympics. For example, few know that some of the events were televised! I have already placed A City of Broken Glass on my list of books to read. Great photo on the cover!
Michelle
This was the third book in a series and by far one of the best series I have read in a long time, I only hope this is not the last one. This book, like the previous two, grabs the reader from the first chapter. It is fast paced and carries a complex plot along with well-developed characters, even the minor ones. Please do not miss reading this series, however, one must start at the beginning with Trace of Smoke. I guarantee you will not be able to put any of the novels down.
Sarah K
Each book in this series is better than the last. I can't put them down! This one, set during the 1935 Olympics in Berlin was wonderful. It was interesting to consider how Hitler portrayed the country to the world then, and equally interesting to watch Hannah gauge her alliances and relationships as she fights back. I hope this series keeps going!
Kevin
Jun 11, 2011 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't wait to read this follow up of the brilliant "Night of Long Knives" and it was well worth the anticipation. Historically accurate and well-researched this story takes place in Berlin during the 1936 Olympics. An excellent mystery! I cannot wait for the next in what I hope is a long-lived series. Bravo Cantrell!
Mike Zinn
Oct 27, 2012 Mike Zinn rated it really liked it
This series just rolls right along. I thought it might get old, but Hannah is a great lead character, and the other characters around her are all so well done that the books stay fresh. Not to mention the setting of Germany in the 1930s. I'm reading #4 right now and I'll be looking for #5 - hopefully next summer sometime.
  • The Second Son (Berlin Trilogy, #3)
  • City of Secrets (A Miranda Corbie Mystery)
  • The Sleepwalkers (Willi Kraus, #1)
  • Shadow of the Oak (A Sal Van Sleen Adventure)
  • Perfectly Toxic (C.O.R.E. Above the Law, #2)
  • Open Meetings (Jillian Hillcrest, #2)
  • Second Violin (Inspector Troy, #6)
  • Cancelled Vows (Mac Faraday Mystery, #11)
  • Cargo (A Leine Basso Thriller #4)
  • Body and Bone
  • One Particular Harbour (Jake Sullivan Series, #5)
  • The Awakening (Project Eve, 1)
  • The Tenth Circle (Blaine McCracken #11)
  • Gone Wild (Thorn, #4)
  • The Killing of Emma Gross
  • Stettin Station (John Russell, #3)
  • A Bullet for Carlos
A few years ago Rebecca Cantrell quit her job, sold her house, and moved to Hawaii to write a novel because, at seven, she decided that she would be a writer. Now she writes the award-winning Hannah Vogel mystery series set in Berlin in the 1930s. “A Trace of Smoke,” "A Night of Long Knives," "A Game of Lies," and "A City of Broken Glass." She also co-writes the Order of Sanguines series with Jame ...more
More about Rebecca Cantrell...

Hannah Vogel (4 books)
  • A Trace of Smoke (Hannah Vogel, #1)
  • A Night of Long Knives (Hannah Vogel, #2)
  • A City of Broken Glass (Hannah Vogel, #4)