Start by marking “Pirates of Mars ” as Want to Read:
Pirates of Mars

Pirates of Mars

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Pirates of Mars, the new Mars adventure story by Chris Gerrib. Lieutenant Peter Grant of the Volunteer Space Rescue Service is taken hostage by pirates, who are holding him for ransom. The Rescue Service can't afford to pay a ransom and is not equipped for an armed rescue. Fellow Rescueman, Jack Williams, unwilling to violate Rescue tradition and leave a person behind, dec ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Hadley Rille Books

To ask other readers questions about Pirates of Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirates of Mars

Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanPirates! by Celia Rees
Pirates!
197th out of 384 books — 542 voters

More lists with this book...

Gerhardt Himmelmann
I found Pirates of Mars a big disappointment, which is a shame because it's a rare example of a well-thought-out, near future, hard science fiction novel. Set in 2074, Gerrib lays out a Martian colonial society with a "wild West" feel that seemed quite credible to me. Moreover, the novel did an exceptionally good job of portraying realistic spaceflight with realistic astrodynamics. Spacecraft in this book move according to real physical laws: a rare feature indeed.

Unfortunately, everything that
Charles Sheehan-Miles
Since my early teens I’ve been a lover of all things sci-fi, especially stuff relating to exploration of the solar system. So I was pleased to get my hands on Chris Gerrib’s Pirates of Mars.

The cover art, evocative of pulp sci-fi of the sixties and seventies, is a nice touch. The story has a feel evocative of a lot of classic science fiction. In short—a sparsely settled Mars, dotted with small settlements, some of which have a wild-west feel, is base to pirate outfits, which have been hijacking
Susan
This not-so-far-future scifi story has humans settled on Mars and up to nefarious deeds. The pirates of Mars are quite a mixed crew (which was entertaining) who end up kidnapping a volunteer space rescue man (Peter). But his agency doesn’t have the funds to ransom him. Luckily, he has friends who improvise a rescue. Over all, the book had a Wild West feel to it, kind of a nod to the TV series Firefly.

Once the characters were set, there wasn’t much growth. But that was OK as this was a fast-paced
Charles McGonigal
Almost a reverse heist story, it was a quick read, but it never quite gelled for me. I've read worse, but I'd have trouble recommending it - I think there would be something better no matter what aspect (sci-fi, cops and robbers, characters) you're looking for.
Pam
It's pirates. On Mars. They board space ships and steal their cargo (or the ship itself). Sometimes they take prisoners, and that's what got them into trouble this time. This book is totally plot-driven with paper-thin characters. It was a fun diversion, though.
Christopher Gerrib
Jun 13, 2012 Christopher Gerrib rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Kent McDaniel at Windy City Reviews says "The book calls out for a sequel and for a movie adaptation."

You can read the rest of the review at the link.
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
AudioBookReviewer
AudioBookReviewer marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Kean
Kean marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Miramira Endevall
Miramira Endevall marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Mekenzie Larsen
Mekenzie Larsen marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2012
Shawn Fairweather
Shawn Fairweather marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2012
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2012
Mark
Mark added it
Jul 12, 2012
Daniel
Daniel is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2012
C.
C. marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2012
James Femmer
James Femmer marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2012
Geoffrey Reesor
Geoffrey Reesor marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2012
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2012
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
May 24, 2012