Start by marking “Pirates of Mars” as Want to Read:
Pirates of Mars

Pirates of Mars (The Pirates Series #2)

Pirates of Mars, the new Mars adventure story by Chris Gerrib. Lieutenant Peter Grant of the Volunteer Space Rescue Service is taken hostage by pirates, who are holding him for ransom. The Rescue Service can't afford to pay a ransom and is not equipped for an armed rescue. Fellow Rescueman, Jack Williams, unwilling to violate Rescue tradition and leave a person behind, dec ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Hadley Rille Books

To ask other readers questions about Pirates of Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirates of Mars

AudioBookReviewer
Sep 17, 2014 AudioBookReviewer rated it really liked it
Shelves: submitted
ABR's original Pirates of Mars audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Pirates of Mars by Chris Gerrib was a fast paced sci-fi novel. Life on Mars is what I would picture life in Australia was like in the 1800’s when convicts were sent there to live. Rough, uncivilized and full of the criminal element or those seeking a better life. Life on Mars was similar – rough, uncivilized to a great degree and full of opportunistic seeking people where they even charge for air!

P
Charles Sheehan-Miles
Mar 26, 2012 Charles Sheehan-Miles rated it really liked it
Since my early teens I’ve been a lover of all things sci-fi, especially stuff relating to exploration of the solar system. So I was pleased to get my hands on Chris Gerrib’s Pirates of Mars.

The cover art, evocative of pulp sci-fi of the sixties and seventies, is a nice touch. The story has a feel evocative of a lot of classic science fiction. In short—a sparsely settled Mars, dotted with small settlements, some of which have a wild-west feel, is base to pirate outfits, which have been hijacking
Charles McGonigal
Mar 18, 2012 Charles McGonigal rated it it was ok
Almost a reverse heist story, it was a quick read, but it never quite gelled for me. I've read worse, but I'd have trouble recommending it - I think there would be something better no matter what aspect (sci-fi, cops and robbers, characters) you're looking for.
Dries Harnie
Mar 03, 2012 Dries Harnie rated it it was ok
Ruediger Landmann
Mar 04, 2012 Ruediger Landmann rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2013
I found Pirates of Mars a big disappointment, which is a shame because it's a rare example of a well-thought-out, near future, hard science fiction novel. Set in 2074, Gerrib lays out a Martian colonial society with a "wild West" feel that seemed quite credible to me. Moreover, the novel did an exceptionally good job of portraying realistic spaceflight with realistic astrodynamics. Spacecraft in this book move according to real physical laws: a rare feature indeed.

Unfortunately, everything that
Susan
This not-so-far-future scifi story has humans settled on Mars and up to nefarious deeds. The pirates of Mars are quite a mixed crew (which was entertaining) who end up kidnapping a volunteer space rescue man (Peter). But his agency doesn’t have the funds to ransom him. Luckily, he has friends who improvise a rescue. Over all, the book had a Wild West feel to it, kind of a nod to the TV series Firefly.

Once the characters were set, there wasn’t much growth. But that was OK as this was a fast-paced
Gavin
Sep 12, 2012 Gavin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how to explain this book. I liked the initial premise, which is why I continued to the end, but it was very very hard to read.

I felt there was a lot of minor characters added and made things hard to follow. Most of the major ones I really liked though (Janet, Kelly, Minty, Rachael, etc).
Perspective jumped quite suddenly at times (may have been an e-reader artifact) and helped to get me lost.
Even sometimes just the writing felt forced/run-on/needs editing.

I would not recommend it, bu
Pam
Dec 01, 2012 Pam rated it liked it
It's pirates. On Mars. They board space ships and steal their cargo (or the ship itself). Sometimes they take prisoners, and that's what got them into trouble this time. This book is totally plot-driven with paper-thin characters. It was a fun diversion, though.
Christopher Gerrib
Mar 17, 2012 Christopher Gerrib rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kent McDaniel at Windy City Reviews says "The book calls out for a sequel and for a movie adaptation."

You can read the rest of the review at the link.
Trey Wren
Trey Wren rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Sara Prior
Sara Prior rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2012
Jerome Comeau
Jerome Comeau rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2014
William
William rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Nick
Nick rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2016
Andy Bulkley
Andy Bulkley rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Val
Val rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2012
Destiny Brown
Destiny Brown rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2014
Rob Darnell
Rob Darnell rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2014
Rex
Rex rated it liked it
May 24, 2013
Manoj Srivastava
Manoj Srivastava rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Scott Cleveland
Scott Cleveland rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2012
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Ben Babcock
Ben Babcock marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2012
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2012
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2012
Hope
Hope added it
Mar 08, 2012
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2012
Hugo Castilho
Hugo Castilho marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2012
crashmstr
crashmstr marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2012
Destiny
Destiny marked it as to-read
Karen Siddall
Karen Siddall marked it as to-read
Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers marked it as to-read
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Billie
Billie marked it as to-read
Butterflyshines
Butterflyshines marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2012
Oran de Baritault
Oran de Baritault marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2012
Fred Hughes
Fred Hughes marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2012
Devin
Devin marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2012
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2012
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2012
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2012
Karen French
Karen French marked it as to-read
Geri
Geri marked it as to-read
Genevieve
Genevieve marked it as to-read
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2012
Audiobooks: Free SF Audiobook - Would Like Reviews 1 24 Jul 24, 2014 12:56PM
Chris Gerrib admits to being a bit obsessed with Mars, but in a healthy way. He can quit thinking about Mars any time he wants to. He wrote three novels (so far) set on or around Mars, but promises to get out of the Solar System soon. Chris still has a day job as the IT director at a Chicago-area bank, and holds degrees in history and business from the University of Illinois and Southern Illinois ...more
More about Christopher Gerrib...

The Pirates Series (3 books)
  • The Mars Run