Start by marking “The Vow: The True Events that Inspired the Movie” as Want to Read:
The Vow: The True Events that Inspired the Movie

The Vow: The True Events that Inspired the Movie

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  19,883 ratings  ·  1,659 reviews
Life as Kim and Krickitt Carpenter knew it was shattered beyond recognition on November 24, 1993. Two months after their marriage, a devastating car wreck left Krickitt with a massive head injury and in a coma for weeks.

When she finally awoke, she had no idea who Kim was. With no recollection of their relationship and while Krickitt experienced personality changes common
Published February 9th 2012 by B&H Books (first published June 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Vow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vow

Jessica
I was very disappointed by this book, and I think this is one of those rare instances where the movie will actually be better than the book.

By now, I'm sure everyone knows the story - and since there's a movie, there's no room for ending spoils, which is why I'll go into detail about what I didn't like.

The way the book was written was not ideal - the bylines say Kim and Krickett Carpenter, yet only Kim narrated. I would've liked to hear what Krickett had to say. And Kim was very repetitive. Fo
Michelle
I can not say enough good things about this book. In my honest opinion I think it should be required reading for any couple going through premarital counseling. After completing this easy read I honestly wanted nothing more than to hug their necks and tell them Thank You for sharing such a courageous story of their infinite faith and devotion to each other and to God.

But let me address the two most common complaints with this book.

It's Preachy: ok you are reading an amazing story of the miracl
Margo
I went into this book thinking it was going to be a Nicholas Sparks novel- I was so wrong. It is an incredible story but lacked the romance I was hoping for.
Beth Fred
Melissa Jarmel
If you're reading this book because you enjoyed the movie and want more of it, you'll be a bit shocked or confused when you read this. The movie is cute and Channing Tatum is a lot of fun to look at, but the love story in the movie completely leaves out the reason why they decided to keep their vows in such a terrible situation: they loved God and wanted to honor the commitment they made to him. So the book centers on that theme: honoring God and being faithful. I think it's a really beautiful s ...more
Joan Lattanzio
Ugh. I decided to read the book that had been on the back of every shelf of every single library in the world (for good reason) because after seeing the trailer for the movie I was compelled to look for the book.. Being a reader myself and as im sure everyone thinks the same, books are always leagues aways from the movie.. So I started reading it, to make the story short I believe the movie will be better than the book. Something unheard of right? I havent seen it yet but ill give it that at lea ...more
Jenifer
Five months ago my husband was in an accident and suffered a major head injury. So when my BBF dropped this book off to me yesterday. I was intrigued and read it from beginning to end. Our story is different in many ways. My husband remembered me but took time to remember others. We have been together for 18years and we already have children. But in many ways the thoughts and questions Kim had to work through are the same, the early days of my husband coming home were rough. Because of this the ...more
Jenn
This is our March book club book. After seeing the movie, I was very intrigued to read this book. It's a quick read. I really enjoyed hearing about how their faith helped them through this trail. It's a great reminder that God is there for all of us. One of my favorite quotes, ”We don't dwell on the bad times but look ahead to the amazing things we know God still has in store for us.” One more that I loved, ” if there is something missing in your life, seek the Lord. If you once had him in your ...more
Hillary Peters
Very, very inspirational book. It's amazing how the prayers were answered from God.
"Krickitt's soul can't be affected by any injury because it's immortal. Her faith will always be there. It's there now. We've seen it. God has preserved her for some great purpose, and her faith is there to carry through." The ending paragraph of this book really hit me, I love this book. I can't wait to see the movie, I hope it's very inspirational like the book.
Eve
No more Christian fiction for me... I mean, maybe it's ok if you're into that kind of books but it was definitely too much for me. The 2 stars, anyway, are not only because the book is Christian fiction but also because the narration is poor, the story has no details and descriptions and the love story sounds great if you read the plot but it's nothing special when yo start reading the book. We decided to get married because it was the logical step?! Come on...
Maria Espadinha
Bom...parece que vamos ter que falar de Amor:

Amor é fogo que arde sem se ver
É ferida que dói e não se sente
É um contentamento descontente...

Oooops, parece que já ouvi isto em qq lado
E se calhar vocês também ?!
Bom...recomecemos então:

O Amor é como Fernando Pessoa...
Aposto que esta nunca ouviram, hein?
Continuando:
O que terá então o Amor em comum com Fernando Pessoa?
Há por aí ideias?
Talvez dando algum tempo para pensar:...

Já pensaram?
Ora óptimo!
É isso mesmo: são os heterónimos, pois claro!
Há o Amo
Beatrice
Heartwarming and inspirational.

I like it, but some parts are somewhat redundant.
Leo
I came to know this book when I watched the movie (which was good but could be better) and I was curious to read the real story from the real people. The book is told by Kim Carpenter but not Krickitt and I wish that she had also told us her story and what she went through. I wanted to know what she felt when she suddenly woke up and discovered that she was married to a stranger, how she coped with that and what made her decide to fight for her marriage.
And although Kim tells his story, I expec
Dana Arcuri
Several months ago, my teenage daughter remarked that she wanted to see the movie, The Vow. When I was grocery shopping, I purchased the book in hope she would read the story. However, after the book sat for months unread, I decided to pick it up and check it out for myself.

This is when I discovered The Vow was based upon a true life story about Krickitt and Kim Carpenter. In 1992, the young couple met, bonded through their Christian faith and fell in love over a long distance phone call.

Shortl
Cik Aini
I picked up this book after finding that people who downloaded books with similar taste with me also picked up this. I was intrigued upon seeing the cover, I realised then, the cover made me attracted to read the book.

The novel much basically covers Kim's whole point of view the first few chapters were interesting especially on how they met, fell in love and then, when the accident happened, life changed especially when Krickitt's short term memory of being married to Kim had been wiped out fro
Paula Espadinha
Já há algum tempo, fui presenteada com um livrinho adorável - the vow - que devorei numa hora, se tanto!

Trata-se duma história de amor, que não pertence ao reino da fantasia! É, para variar, bem real e por isso é tão especial!

Numa época em que os desentendimentos e divórcios estão na ordem do dia, o casal Carpenter apostou e investiu no Amor, mostrando-nos ser possível um relaccionamento durar e perdurar!

Quando terminamos este livro, por mais desilusões que tenhamos coleccionado, há um pensament
Yunita1987
Buku ini bagus banget...buku ini bukanlah buku yg hanya menceritakan kisah romantis ataupun kisah perjuangan sang suami untuk menyelamatkan istrinya. Tetap banyak hal yang aq peroleh setelah baca buku ini. Yang pasti baca buku ini menyadarkan kepada kita kalau disaat kita memiliki banyak masalah janganlah khawatir tetapi serahkan semuanya kepada Tuhan dan jangan pernah berpikir kalau Tuhan jauh dari kita atau tidak mendengarkan doa kita. Karena Tuhan tau apa yang terbaik untuk kita.
Selain itu,
Jeanette
Kim Carpenter tells the gripping story of his whirlwind romance and marriage to Krikkit, followed two months later by a devastating three-vehicle accident that put his new wife into a comma. Miraculously, she survived the severe brain injury and coma - but she had lost all memories of meeting, courting, marrying, honeymooning and beginning a new life with her husband.

This is a book of great love and faith through huge obstacles that kept me glued to the page. Kim is courageously honest in retel
Keri Leach
This book was a super quick read but it was for sure uplifting!! It reminds you that love can conquer all! We cant see the whole picture but He can, this book helps you in remembering to trust in God. Now to see the movie :)
Beth Sumner fairweather
Oy...where do I start??? This book was just plain awful! It took me forevvvvverrrr to read it and that was even with skipping major parts because it was sooooo boring! If you are a religious person, you will love it, hands down. But if you are not particularly into religion you will the preachiness extremely off putting. That's one thing, but a minor one really if there weren't so many other problems.

#1, the story IS interesting, girl gets in a wreck, loses her memory, forgets she's married, the
Janie Johnson
This was a very fast and fluid read with a very powerful message. A message about how God can work in our lives and make our lives so much better if only we believe, trust and keep our faith intact even when those bad things happen in our lives. I don't need people to tell me that God does not exist, because I will never believe it. I have seen to many miracles and answered prayers to even consider it. Just like Kim and Krickitt testify in this book.

In this book we have a young couple, Kim and K
Elizabeth
In the beginning of the story, I found this book very, very boring. Once Krickitt got to the rehab center, things got interesting and I enjoyed this part the most. I loved how she still was connected to God through her journal even after forgetting a lot of other things. Also, she sounded normal in her journal, but not while speaking to Kim.

Now for the Cons, people.

1) I'm sorry, but who names their son Kimmer, and LETS people call him Kim? And THEN his brother's name is a girl's name too, thoug
Read, Run, Ramble
I loved the story, but didn't feel like it was all that well written. The story alone is what kept me reading - Kim and Krickitt are inspiring people and the events surrounding their lives are tragic, yet also uplifting (in how the handled them). However, the book came off as very repetitive. Even as a short read, I felt like most pages after the accident were repeats of the same information/concept, written in almost the same way.

I think the book would have benefited from some of Krickitt's per
Baillie Cook
This book is about two people that fall in love. Then one day they are in a critical car accident leaving the woman in a state where she remembers nothing. They slowly talk and her memory begins to come back. They end up back in love, but it's like they have to start all over.
I have seen the movie to this book and i did not like it. I believe if you read the book first you will not like the movie, but if you just watch the movie i am sure you will like it. The movie changed many main details,
Alexandra Rodrigues
Não fazia ideia do quão conhecida esta história era... mas é realmente uma história bastante inspiradora para qualquer pessoa, independentemente se já passou por uma situação semelhante ou não. Fiquei comovida com a força deste casal. É uma história que ajuda a quem está a passar por momentos difíceis e que mostra a todos a importância que é darmos valor a tudo o que temos e às pessoas que nos rodeiam.
Nicole
I was skeptical about this book. Particularly since Nicholas Sparks was involved with the movie adaptation, and even the Nicholas Sparks movies I like tend to end with me openly weeping in the movie theater. In spite of this, I felt compelled to give this book a try, and I'm so glad that I did. In a world where we tend to glorify violence, cheating, and general discontent, it is so refreshing to read a book about a couple that worked through overwhelming odds. This should be required reading for ...more
Maureen Lenhard
The Vow is based off of a true story and it was very inspirational. The book began with how the main characters, Kim and Krickitt, met each other. They first met over the phone and began talking constantly. After awhile they decided they would meet each other. From that moment they knew they wanted to spend their lives with each other. Shortly after Kim and Krickitt's wedding they got into a terrible car accident. It was a regular holiday weekend on their way to Krickitt's parents house when lit ...more
Lou
Reseña completa

Si hay algo que no me agrada mucho de los libros de romance, es la idealización de los personajes. Sin embargo, con este libro me he dado la grata sorpresa de encontrar a los protagonistas, muy reales y humanos; así que creo que este libro es romántico pero no llega al extremo de ser meloso. Eso se debe a que, obviamente, esta historia ocurrió en la realidad y no tiene ninguna pizca de ficción, pero también creo que es porque nos muestra a los protagonistas con defectos y virtudes
Nicole
Glad I read this book . . . different from what my usual read . . . and Kim Carpenter's right in his message - their story gives people hope. . . I admire his patience and his love for Krickitt . . .

Overall: 4.0 stars!!!
Gina Meeks
The story was very intriguing, but the writing was pretty bland. I'm still excited for the movie though. Good writing combined with a great story should make for an entertaining flick.
The Vow Movie 9 50 Sep 23, 2014 11:13AM
Which Should Come First: The Book or the Movie? 30 71 Nov 01, 2012 10:49AM
Lost in Words: Discussion Topic 10 1 1 May 06, 2012 09:25AM
Lost in Words: Discussion Topic 9 1 1 May 06, 2012 09:24AM
Lost in Words: Discussion Topic 8 1 1 May 06, 2012 09:24AM
Lost in Words: Discussion Topic 7 1 1 May 06, 2012 09:23AM
  • Spinning
  • I'm No Angel: From Victoria's Secret Model to Role Model
  • Unplanned: The Dramatic True Story of a Former Planned Parenthood Leader's Eye-Opening Journey Across the Life Line
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Voices of the Faithful
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: True Love: 101 Heartwarming and Humorous Stories about Dating, Romance, Love, and Marriage
  • Adele: The Biography
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • One Chance in a Million (California Chances, #1)
  • Meet the Annas: A Musical Novel
  • The Girl's Still Got It: Take a Walk with Ruth and the God Who Rocked Her World
  • The Dreamer, Volume 2
  • Extreme Devotion
  • Still Lolo: A Spinning Propeller, a Horrific Accident, and a Family's Journey of Hope
  • Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board
  • Working It Out: A Journey of Love, Loss, and Hope
  • 1936... On the Continent
Steve Joy Paintings, 1980-2007: Uncreated Light

“God hasn't forgotten you, God will never forget you. He says He will never leave you comfortless, and He won't. You can't use Him up or wear Him out. Hang on to him. He wont forget you. So please don't forget Him.” 17 likes
“Each one of us is the sum total of every moment that we’ve ever experienced with all the people we’ve ever known.” 9 likes