Start by marking “The Life She Left Behind” as Want to Read:
The Life She Left Behind

The Life She Left Behind (The Santina Crown 0.5)

The Santina Crown... Royalty has never been so scandalous!

Heiress Angelina Carpenter traded in diamonds for denim—and the freedom to make her own choices—when she fled from her arranged marriage to Sheikh Taj Ahmad. Now working as a nanny for the royal family of Santina, Angelina can't help but risk a glimpse at the glamorous life she left behind during a lavish party...

Kindle Edition, USA Edition, 74 pages
Published March 1st 2012 by Harlequin Presents (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Life She Left Behind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life She Left Behind

Fiona Marsden
Mar 23, 2012 Fiona Marsden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to wallow in a classic series romance
Recommended to Fiona by: Mills & Boone site blurb
Sometimes it can be quite illuminating when you read the reviews for a book you've already finished reading. Especially the ones who give poor reviews. I can't help but wonder what they were expecting. Too short...yes it's a novella. Not enough character development...did I mention it was a novella? Too many tropes. Tropes...I thought that was to do with you know, a play on words, but now I find it is a sort of upmarket cliche. So there were cliche's in the story. Can you say series romance real ...more
Loraine
I am writing this excusing a lot of issues because of the "novella" length. Honestly, it shouldn't have been because there was a ton of things missing from the story that a reader wants to read and needs to know in order for the book to really click. Examples: Character development (the story is pretty shallow without understanding the players), plot development (there was a beginning, a middle and an ending... that's all you need, right?), and a good climax (and not the sexual kind, either!). I ...more
Cindy
May 03, 2012 Cindy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm embarrassed I read this. I mean, just look at the cover. But it was a free kobo book and I've never read a Harlequin romance before, so, yeah. I used to see people borrow them by the stacks when I worked at the library so clearly many people like these - how bad could it be, right? Uh, bad. So, so bad. Now I don`t know what to do with the rest of the free Harlequins I downloaded from Kobo. Part of me says, read them, they were free. But, then I would have to come on here and complain about t ...more
Kathryn Parry
Nov 21, 2016 Kathryn Parry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a freebie it goes up in value for me when there is no cliffhanger and it hasn't got one so yay.
It is well written short novella, which means a quick read. You are not going to get earth shattering depths to the story but it did keep me entertained. More of a story than a sex scene so another bonus for me. Predictable yes but sometimes that's all you have time for so another bonus for me today. It's a good enough love story for me. Worth the read if you want that comfort reading material.
Kate
Mar 10, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
Because it's a novella, I can overlook some of the character development and conflict that was missing; however, I feel it would be been better to focus on a smaller/tighter subject/event/conflict instead of trying to condense what could be a whole HP novel into a novel that's about a third of the length. But, the novella achieved it's purpose as a prologue to the Santina Crown series by piquing my interest and wondering how it fits into the series.
L.  (You're No Science-Terrorist!)
Mar 02, 2012 L. (You're No Science-Terrorist!) rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Patients in the waiting room of their dentist
Shelves: romance, novella
Well, that was abrupt. You've got your patented Harlequin heroine who falls in love with a rich and broody man. You've got your sheik who knows how to do the heroine every which way til Sunday but doesn't know how to love. *Blink* Ooh, the story is done.
Jenny
Nov 20, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet!
Katrina Holder
This was more a YA type of thing. Held a promise that wasn't really delivered for an older audience to really enjoy
Wendy Sparrow
Feb 19, 2013 Wendy Sparrow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I'll be honest that while I read a decent amount of romance novels--I'm not incredibly well-versed in Middle East modern culture so I can't really speak to that aspect of other reviews.

As for the story itself, it was a novella--very, very short and meant to just encapsulate moments in a relationship, and I think it did that well--especially for a prequel to a series. The characters obviously came from different cultures and had different expectations for what was entailed in a relationship, but
Vanessa
Laura the Highland Hussy

I haven't read a Harlequin since I was in high school, and you know what? They haven't changed all that much, which is kind of comforting.

Taj and Angelina had met a few years back, and fallen in love. Her father was a big time oil magnate who wanted Taj to marry Angelina to cement their business arrangement. Taj sees no problem with this.
Once Angelina realizes that she's being bartered in a business deal, she runs.

After creating her own life as nanny to
Chris
May 02, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a novella, so it's rather short but it's still pretty good. I really like the heroine, Angelina. She's very strong and she left behind a rather luxurious life because she could not stand to be an object to be bartered between her father and the man she loved.

I just love how practical and strong Angelina was. She's very responsible and did not runaway when things got complicated between her and the hero, Taj. This was rather refreshing since most HP heroines tend to run and hide when thi
Lucina
2.5 Stars

german review

Für eine Contemporary Novella à la "Groschenroman" gar nicht so schlecht, aber auch überhaupt nicht außergewöhnlich. Purer Durchschnitt. Die Charaktere sind durchschnittlich, die Probleme sind durchschnittlich und die Handlung ist auch durchschnittlich. Ich meine, man nehme eine reiche Erbin und ein reichen Scheich, große Anziehungskräfte, einmal ungeschützen Sex, eine ungewollte Schwangerschaft und eine vermeindlich unglückliche Liebe und schon hat man das Rezept von "Th
Shawna Hansen
As I read through the book, the style of the writing and the story brought back memories of reading my grandmother's Harlequin romances in the 1970s. I was surprised to see the publication date was 2012. This is a fun & simple romance about an extremely powerful couple - he is a sheikh and she's an oil heiress - who fall for each other for all the wrong reasons. She goes into "hiding" (working as a nanny for a countess!) to avoid being a pawn in her father's and boyfriend's worlds. The two s ...more
Alixendra
Apr 26, 2012 Alixendra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, nook-books
Pam
Apr 29, 2012 Pam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read this style Harlequin release since high school and now I remember why. This one was quick and I mean quick. I know it's says novella but don't believe it. Chapter one started on page 4 and the story ended very abruptly on page 52...that makes it what...a mere 48 pages? To me that's a long short story. Then there was an additional 20 pages of excerpts and other things. I have to admit I was annoyed.

Needless to say there isn't much time for character development and just when Taj a
Tonileg
Mar 26, 2012 Tonileg rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, kindle
This is a contemporary romance that mostly occurs in Europe and a middle-eastern country (perhaps make-believe kingdom?). This is the love story of Angelina Carpenter and Sheikh Taj Ahmad. This is not a Cinderella scenario. Angelina is a rich and educated from a famous Texan Oil family so isn't a powerless submissive lover to the Shiekh.
This was light romantic fare that I quickly read on a short flight between Germany and France. I got this free for kindle.
2 stars
Elizabeth
Nov 05, 2014 Elizabeth marked it as dnf-did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
It’s rare that I’ll DNF a novella, but I just couldn’t make it past page 25. Why do I bother even trying to read a romance involving a Sheik. They drive me cray-cray on so many levels.
He’s a Muslim, yet he describes her as a petulant child on Christmas. And his insistence that they get married seemed premature. BUT, I’ll stop now There’s a target for these books, but it’s not me.
Carmen
Reading a novella forces one to accept a back story, you have no knowledge of. As a reader, I have a problem doing that sometimes, even with a full length tome(The Road comes to mind). However, for whatever reason, these two characters clicked with me, maybe it was the lack of subterfuge between them but, it was an enjoyable, albeit short read.
Jessica
Mar 08, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. Hate it when the male lead is so completely undesirable that it makes any sexual encounter in the novella seem gross. Perhaps, if the story had been a bit longer, they could have made me like him a little better, but for now, I'm stuck thinking "so what if you're knocked up....find someone else".
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Wow, I don't know how to rate this. Maybe 1.5 stars? It was too short to have any depth, and the characters have zero development. It features one of my favorite romance tropes, too, but there just wasn't enough here to satisfy my craving for a convincing reunion story. Maybe I will enjoy the longer books in the series better?
Lenore Kosinski
Mar 01, 2012 Lenore Kosinski rated it it was ok
2.5 stars -- meh. It was ok. It was a novella, and Presents books are short little reads already...so you really didn't get enough to get to know the characters and see them as more real, and not just caricatures....
 Gigi Ann
I'm so glad this was a novella, I just couldn't get drawn into the story. It is a part of my Nook library and I awarded it 2 dim-lit stars. However, it was a freebie book so no complaint in that area. I don't think I will be reading anymore books by this author.
Stevie Carroll
A novella to introduce a series of category romances. The story was cute enough, although it didn't tick all my boxes, but there were enough intrigues in the background for me to look out for the other books.
Rebecca
This was a nice introduction to Ms. Yates writing. It's very short (only a novella), so some excuses must be made but I felt there was still good character development and an interesting storyline. I'll definitely be checking out more of her books.
SandraE
A typical Harlequin romance.
Kelly Akemann
A story that has been told a billion times - the same way, just different characters this time.
Joanne
Jan 18, 2014 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Can't wait to read the series.
Shonnie
Mar 04, 2012 Shonnie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-book
Way to sappy.
Tanya Mayes
Nov 23, 2012 Tanya Mayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good, quick read. I was just starting to get into the story I wasn't ready for it to end.
  • Strangers in the Desert
  • Monarch of the Sands
  • Trouble in a Pinstripe Suit
  • Sheikh with Benefits
  • Heart of a Desert Warrior (Royal Brides #10)
  • Cupcakes and Killer Heels (Brothers & Sisters, #2)
  • His Majesty's Mistake (A Royal Scandal, #2)
  • A Christmas Night to Remember
  • His Reputation Precedes Him (The Lyonedes Legacy, #2)
  • The Man Behind the Scars
  • Powerful Italian, Penniless Housekeeper  (At His Service, #1)
  • Girl in the Bedouin Tent
  • Santina's Scandalous Princess (The Santina Crown #3)
  • Unlocking her Innocence
  • The Sultan's Choice
  • Wyatt: Return of the Cowboy
  • An Offer She Can't Refuse
  • Never Stay Past Midnight
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author Maisey Yates lives in rural Oregon with her three children and her husband, whose chiseled jaw and arresting features continue to make her swoon. She feels the epic trek she takes several times a day from her office to her coffee maker is a true example of her pioneer spirit. In 2009, at the age of twenty-three Maisey sold her first book.

Since then
More about Maisey Yates...

The Santina Crown (8 books)
  • The Price of Royal Duty
  • The Sheikh's Heir
  • Santina's Scandalous Princess (The Santina Crown #3)
  • The Man Behind the Scars
  • Defying the Prince
  • Princess From The Shadows (The Santina Crown, #6)
  • The Girl Nobody Wanted
  • Playing The Royal Game (The Santina Crown #8)